Micaiah vs. Nohr Corrin (spoilers)

Sunwoo

Micaiah or Nohrmui?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the better character?

Micaiah fan #losing track here, best lord.

I think Nohr!Corrin is a bit overhated but she is certainly somewhat problematic. The game could certainly do with examining some of her choices more and being more honest about them. While I'm less bothered than many that the game doesn't judge her harshly (I'm quite capable of judging characters myself, thanks), we do lose out a lot of analysis the game could do, akin to the Micaiah scene quoted in the OP.

The situation Micaiah is in also feels less contrived (you can poo-poo the specifics of the Blood Contract, but all you really need to know is that Pelleas is under Begnion's thumb, which is certainly realistic regardless of method), which also helps. RD was, of course, a better-written game than Fates, and indeed was the best-written game in the series and the only reason I haven't changed my "favourite game" tag on this site. <.<

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then we'd have more "why did they handle the black knight's reveal like they did, thanks ranulfobama" nevermind that the only other time for that reveal would've been the showdown which would've looked like more of an asspull and ranulf was the only guy that has legibly fought the two to make the connection.

but then again that requires the general fandom to stop also thinking of micaiah as a mary sue while worshipping ike at the same time and we all know thats not going to happen.

prime example, we know who's might come into this thread like clockwork to prove me right.

Honestly, if they really wanted the reveal to not happen, all they had to do was kill Ranulf. Seriously, why they didn't think to do this is beyond me. I mean, they were willing to basically randomly axe Largo from the team, why not just kill a character so the plot point can't be revealed?

Micaiah really isn't a Mary Sue. It's especially hilarious when you look at her competition within the same game.

Micaiah fan #losing track here, best lord.

I think Nohr!Corrin is a bit overhated but she is certainly somewhat problematic. The game could certainly do with examining some of her choices more and being more honest about them. While I'm less bothered than many that the game doesn't judge her harshly (I'm quite capable of judging characters myself, thanks), we do lose out a lot of analysis the game could do, akin to the Micaiah scene quoted in the OP.

The situation Micaiah is in also feels less contrived (you can poo-poo the specifics of the Blood Contract, but all you really need to know is that Pelleas is under Begnion's thumb, which is certainly realistic regardless of method), which also helps. RD was, of course, a better-written game than Fates, and indeed was the best-written game in the series and the only reason I haven't changed my "favourite game" tag on this site. <.<

Micaiah IMO honestly isn't that bad.

The problem with Nohr Corrin is the same problem as every Corrin. The issue is that Conquest just makes the problem way more pronounced than Hoshido and Revelations because the plot is far less simple at base. The plot absolutely cannot have people just shrugging and saying "sure Corrin, I believe in you." No, they need to question the method to his / her madness so there's a reason for people to have to actually talk. The game doesn't need to judge Corrin, but the characters DO in order for us to believe anything about them, their plight, or Corrin's. The reason that Micaiah gets some analysis, is because the game actually lets Micaiah, and other characters reflect or call people out on things that just plain don't make sense. Conquest doesn't, and it desperately needs to.

The rules of the blood pact are stupid, but the situation that was created as a result of it -- Begnion still being in control with Pelleas being a puppet ruler are not-- the issue is that the BP is so contrived that it makes it hard for the characters to behave rationally for fear of a super mystical object that basically says "no, the plot's going this way." It's very similar to Fates in that regard actually. They have a scenario that's good, but they don't know how to reach the scenario without getting there in such an idiotic fashion that it ruins the entirety of the plot. Micaiah isn't stupid because of the blood pact, no, part 3 is stupid because of the blood pact. In the case of Corrin, Corrin has more chapters of time and development as a character, and spends most of it coasting along simply believing "my way is right," never really having to question if there's a better way because the plot never demands that Corrin think anything otherwise and spends all of its time making sure that Corrin is right. The reason Micaiah is better, is because Micaiah takes the attitude of I don't care if it's right. Which makes for a more believable character-- and interesting to boot.

Edited by Augestein

RD was, of course, a better-written game than Fates, and indeed was the best-written game in the series and the only reason I haven't changed my "favourite game" tag on this site. <.<

Arvis would like to say hi, and also burn you to death for this heresy :D:

Regardless, I'm just going to say what I said in the Robin vs. Corrin thread and put it here:

Fates attempting to keep the same 'the avatar is always right' thing from Awakening while attempting a more morally complex plot not only forces Corrin into a role that doesn't suit them (as leader of the army), but also denies him the opportunity to grow as a character, often while derailing other characters in the process and leading to a lot of undeserved (or rather, undeserved in my opinion) hate, despite the fact that a lot of what people claim makes Corrin a terrible character can be largely attributed to other characters or the overall narrative as opposed to any failings on Corrin's part as a character.

@Neko:

No. His end goal is to have the two biggest kingdoms of the continent destroy each other and any other nations that might end up getting caught up in the crossfire. Possessing Corrin is more of a very alluring bonus.

He didn't kill Corrin right away because Corrin is his human self's direct descendant. Meaning that if he were to possess Corrin he will have an ideal vessel for his spirit to inhabit whenever he'd want to personally operate outside of Valla because, if nothing else, Anankos would certainly like to be able to romp around in a dragon's form in the outside world. Corrin is the most heavily dragonblooded human of the modern age in Fates, after all.

It's an interesting headcanon but I don't think it was stated or implied anywhere that Anankos needed a host in *insertcontinentnamehere*. Is it even said that Anankos is unable to leave Valla?

Whenever it takes fan-theories to explain really important plot elements, I'm more inclined to think it wasn't the intention of the writers. If it was true, the writers would communicate that to the players.

I have to be honest here, voted for Corrin as being the better character because I just can not stand Micaiah. I simply can not stand her at all. Conquest history is so absurd, incoherent and full of idiots that lack common sense that I believe you can just put any kind of absurd stuff and it won't break the suspension of disbelief... because there was none in the first place. So I can believe and accept how ridiculous and unique is Corrin because it feel like there was no intention of making it believable in the first place.

Micaiah on the other hand just feels out place in her setting, it just feel ridiculous how unique she is, how special. She does get call out for his actions thought, I give her that.
However one of the biggest reasons that I can not stand Micaiah is just how pointless I end up feeling part 1 of RD thanks to her actions in part 3, like really, what was I was fighting for in part 1 if at the end Daein is just gonna end being controlled by Bengion again?
And because she has to protect Daein at all cost, she refuse to even try to seek help. Her loyalty to Daein also bothers me a lot, she blindly fights for it; her reasons are: “Because the people of Daein were nice to me in the war”. And I just can't buy that, if people had now she was a branded I don't believe they would had been kind to her, she developed a blind devotion to Daein in such a ridiculous way that her motivations end up feeling pretty shallow, and on the topic of that I can not stand how she will be likely to doom the entire world if that means Daein will be saved...

So yeah, sorry for the rant, I know a lot of the stuff I say could easily apply to Corrin if not all, yes I have strong bias against Micaiah so I can not see this as objectively as I should and I can totally see why most people would pick Micaiah as the better charecther, but as I said, for me Conquest is just so ridiculously and lacks any kind of true structure that I can accept Corrin and his stupidity, but I can't accept Micaiah, period.

You know, i haven't played RD in a while, but now i'm starting to remember how much i actually dislike Micaiah. Sigh, they both suck really.

Also, while Micaiah does get called out on her horrible actions by other characters during part 3, it's completely forgotten and never brought up again after part 4 begins, iirc.

Well, one of them sides with a horrifically aggressive regime who are unashamed in their goals for extermination, defends war criminals, and willingly wages a war of aggression. The other is the protagonist of Fates.

In all seriousness, yeah, this is hard. I think Corrin is worse overall because the narrative around him is worse. Micaiah, though, is still pretty bad. I feel like her decision to give Daein Independance at all was terrible. To use something from history, what if Germany, just THREE YEARS after WWII, was granted total Independance, no strings attached? The narrative even shows this as an issue but drops it, with Daein soldiers basically saying "Yeah, let's kill the sub humans!" and Micaiah being "K". She makes no attempt to actually reform Daein, to rid it of the bad shit that happened to it. As for the soldiers in the work camps? I would have done the same thing. These are basically the FE versions of the SS being freed from prison. Begnion was shown to be prepared to send in someone better than Jarod, so their offer should have been accepted. It doesn't help when Ludveck is treated as being the bad guy for being all "Hey yeah, maybe this is a problem?" On the other hand, Micaiah doesn't have anything akin to the venerable Corrin Dick Sucking Brigade, and the narrative does call her out on some of her shit, and she is far, far more interesting than Corrin. She also, though, knowingly supports a brutal racist regime without the intention to eventually expose them as a slime monster, so there's that.

That also bothered me, one moment she says how lovely the people of Daein are and she'll kill innocents to save them, and the next moment she's talking to her soldiers about ''hunting sub-humans''. That makes it hard for me to sympathize with her.

What made me a Conquest!Corn fanboy tho was that speech he makes to Iago and Hans at the end of Conquest. I loved that speech so much Corrin became one of my favorite FE characters as a result.

bruh.

Fire Emblem needs more Ranulfs; that guy was one of the best parts of the Tellius series.

Yeeeeees. I love that guy.

Edited by BruceLee

Nostalgia tends to blind people to the older games' faults. I've seen people constantly complain about the lack of character depth in Fates' and Awakening's respective casts, but when I look back at the characters from older games, I don't really see much of a change. In every game, there are some good characters and some shitty ones .

pretty much, as much as i love Ilyana because she hits my fetishes, she's a very shallow charater and i am willing to admit that.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Honestly, if they really wanted the reveal to not happen, all they had to do was kill Ranulf. Seriously, why they didn't think to do this is beyond me. I mean, they were willing to basically randomly axe Largo from the team, why not just kill a character so the plot point can't be revealed?

Micaiah really isn't a Mary Sue. It's especially hilarious when you look at her competition within the same game.

i think you might've missed the point of my comment that i actually think the black knight reveal was fine because it made sense and before the party split was the only real good time to mention it, Ranulf even states "i wanted to wait unitl i knew for certain but i wanna be sure you don't mistake Zel as a friend if you see him." ofcourse Ike doesn't meet up with the black knight, micaiah does.

with that said you did understand my point of micaiah really not being what people say she is. people tend to latch on to what they first think and never let go of that, hell a prime example of this is "why did Astrid fall in love with Makalov, he's the worst person she could've been with" which is flat out wrong if you've read all of Astrid related text which you can do on this very website, its a few clicks away but people are willing to let themselves be ignorant as long as they feel like they are right and refuse to look at things from another perspective or go find information about them, my quote in my signature regarding the character is a good example of character bias at work and i bet if Joshua and Makalov switched looks, it would've been the other way around because people are that shallow.

Prime example being the "wow i'm going to love this character to death because i like how they look and i know nothing else about them" and committing their opinion to that instead of waiting for the game to come out and experiencing that character for themselves.

wow that was a long ass tangent and i am sorry if its not entirely related, long story short i am happy people are starting to take a second opinion and rethink stuff, as its something the world needs in general and that we can come up with this much to say about micaiah instead of corrin shows that IS tried something with new with her and i honestly believed it worked.

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Micaiah is such a great character, to be fair almost any if not any lord/main character is better than Nohrcorrin.

I really like how she does not care what she needs to do to get the job done, unlike Corrin who is almost always complaining and crying all the freaking time, and the part of "the beated an army without killing everyone" is justbad.

Micaiah's decision altough extreme are somewhat logical, in first place almost nobody understands than seeking help for her is much more difficult than for Nohrcorrin, because unlike him she does not have any familiarity or relationships(aside from her heritage, which no one knows so it does not matter in this case) outside of Daein, and on top of that Daein,was in war with Begnion and Crimea, and has bad relationships with Laguz countries, so basically Daein going outside to ask for help will not lead to anything since every other country does not care for it because they hate it.

Nohrcorrin is basically loved from both royal families, on top of having their confidence, and even when he decides on doing something he is just being a crybaby for not doing what he/she needs to do and just blames King Garon and everyone.

Like Micaiah stats how she does not care if she is regarded as a villain, unlike Nohrcorrin who is loved by everyone, Micaiah was almost always alone for being a branded, and outside of Daein people and Sothe nobody would care for her, so I kinda understand why she would go to that extreme to protect the people that love her.

Edited by Roxachronc

wow that was a long ass tangent and i am sorry if its not entirely related, long story short i am happy people are starting to take a second opinion and rethink stuff, as its something the world needs in general and that we can come up with this much to say about micaiah instead of corrin shows that IS tried something with new with her and i honestly believed it worked.

Now how long until IS figures out that it worked and actually tries it again? 10 years? Probably too soon for ol'IntSys...

Edited by cgRIPPER

i think you might've missed the point of my comment that i actually think the black knight reveal was fine because it made sense and before the party split was the only real good time to mention it, Ranulf even states "i wanted to wait unitl i knew for certain but i wanna be sure you don't mistake Zel as a friend if you see him." ofcourse Ike doesn't meet up with the black knight, micaiah does.

with that said you did understand my point of micaiah really not being what people say she is. people tend to latch on to what they first think and never let go of that, hell a prime example of this is "why did Astrid fall in love with Makalov, he's the worst person she could've been with" which is flat out wrong if you've read all of Astrid related text which you can do on this very website, its a few clicks away but people are willing to let themselves be ignorant as long as they feel like they are right and refuse to look at things from another perspective or go find information about them, my quote in my signature regarding the character is a good example of character bias at work and i bet if Joshua and Makalov switched looks, it would've been the other way around because people are that shallow.

Prime example being the "wow i'm going to love this character to death because i like how they look and i know nothing else about them" and committing their opinion to that instead of waiting for the game to come out and experiencing that character for themselves.

I actually got your point. Ranulf revealing that made sense there. There's no reason for him not to, because if he hadn't, it'd beg the question of "why didn't Ranulf say anything?" But Ranulf does-- it might seem "lame," how it's casually revealed by him, but from any sort of logical perspective, it makes perfect sense. That's why I was saying, if IS really wanted to reveal it later, they should have killed Ranulf. Or had him captured I suppose.

Agreed on this so much.

I can agree with that as well.

Yeah, Part 3 has some stupidity in it, but it's not Micaiah that's the house of stupid here. And her powers don't make her a Mary Sue, as the plot makes it really clear that Micaiah's powers are the apostle's powers, which explains why people from Begnion believed that they were selected from the goddess as the true ruler of Begnion each time. It's easy to see why people would rally behind her if those sort of powers just... Appeared in their time of need. Heck, Micaiah is already flawed before you even see her in Part 1, because in PoR, Micaiah lost Sothe and Sothe was looking for her. In RD, it's revealed that she intentionally abandoned him because she didn't want him to be stuck with her and her problems. Honestly, I like Micaiah, she makes some bone-headed decisions and she's kind of stubborn-- even kind of rude, but you know what? The plot doesn't bend over backwards for her all the time. People get angry with her, people say she's full of garbage when she says stuff that doesn't make sense (Sothe to her for instance when he pretty much says "you don't understand why Ike is so amazing!"), and some characters in the plot just plain don't like her-- Sanaki sure didn't when they first met.

The Black Knight reveal is not bad because of how much sense it makes. It MAKES sense for Ranulf to tell Ike about it there since the group was splitting and he might not have another chance.

The BK reveal sucks because it's done in a way that's absolutely anti-climatic for the player. It's completely out of nowhere, the characters barely even react, there's no video cutscene to go with what's supposed to be a huge moment in the game... nothing. The two characters just exchange words in the most monotone way possible.

A better way to do the reveal would be to simply have Ranulf approach Ike, telling him he has something important to tell him, then fade to black and the game plays as normal until Endgame 2. Ike then calls out the BK by the name "General Zelgius", and Zelgius removes his helmet showing his face. We may have already found out by then on our own, but it would have made much more sense as an actual reveal.

I must admit I was a little bit annoyed with how special Micaiah was. She had special powers, she's a special kind of branded, has a special bloodline and a special endgame revelation. However I did like her as a character. Mostly because the plot doesn't hestitate to push her around when needed. She has to compromise herself in part 3 and even Izuka of all people actually managed to make a valid point against her in the part 1 finale. a self serving and needlessly agressive one, but still one that Pelleas and the plot accept as at least somewhat correct.

I haven't played Fates yet, but I get the impression that Corrin is a perfectly perfect character and every character who doesn't share that opinion is a big meany who can never ever have a valid point because Corrin is such a perfectly perfect example of goodness. I might change my mind once I get the chance to see him in action, but so far that is what i've been hearing a lot.

So I think I prefer Micaiah because she's actually allowed to be placed in more interesting situations.

You won't know that about Corrin unless you bought the DLC. A straight run of Nohr does not give out that detail

Well the hidden texts or whatever that are in the records hall building state it, and that's available base game (at least it is on Conquest). So whilst it's not said in story, you find out about it in the base game, so I'd say it still counts since you don't need another route or DLC to find out.

Edited by Leonarbow

Well the hidden texts or whatever that are in the records hall building state it, and that's available base game (at least it is on Conquest). So whilst it's not said in story, you find out about it in the base game, so I'd say it still counts since you don't need another route or DLC to find out.

Doesn't affect Corrin's role in the story, IMO. There's a case of daddy persecution, if you actually bothered to remember what Garon said way back in Chapter 7, but that doesn't really impact how/why Corrin does stuff in Nohr.

For comparison, Micaiah's future sight is used in Chapter 1, while its absence is noted later on. Sacrifice sort-of drops off later, and I see it as a mirror to Corron's Dragonstone. Both Micaiah and Corrin are their respective leaders (again, even point) who are chosen by something important (Corrin by Yato, Micaiah by Yune, though I think this is a minor point in Corrin's favor because Yato doesn't take over Corrin's speaking lines), but Corrin's bloodline isn't mentioned in the story, while Micaiah's is brought up in the end (based off of my foggy memory of "WTF is this shit, isn't Micaiah important enough already?"). Also, Micaiah's promotions are a Big Thing, but I think that's due to gameplay mechanics (since Ike/Sothe also get shiny, story-driven promotions).

In other words, Corrin's relation to Anankos is barely relevant, at best, because Nohr focuses on Garon.

Once Corrin gets it under control, it's never used in the story again (IIRC). I think you would've had a better argument with the Yato.

So the dragon transformation exists for fanservice purposes only, to show how special and different the protagonist is? I assume the Yalchion is at least a plot point that can't be removed without necessitating a rewrite of the story.

So the dragon transformation exists for fanservice purposes only, to show how special and different the protagonist is? I assume the Yalchion is at least a plot point that can't be removed without necessitating a rewrite of the story.

I feel like it's there to explain a gameplay mechanic, much like how Micaiah's Sacrifice works (though the latter has more impact on the story IMO).

Someone feel free to add on and edit because my memory is shot and I don't want to go look this crap up because I am lazy/my computer is doodoo.

Nohr!Corrin:

-Is the only child of a Dragon and Human

-Can transform into a dragon

-Is chosen by the legendary sword, Yato

-Is Vallite royalty (through blood)

-Is Norian royalty (through abduction)

-Is blessed by the Rainbow Sage

Micaiah:

-Is the older sister of Sanaki, apostle of Begnion

-Is the true apostle of Begnion

-Is a "branded" (of Heron blood)

-Can use Sacrifice

-Is used as a vessel for the Dark God, Yune

-Has future sight

My thing with Micaiah is her ties to the royal family of Begnion and how she ended up in Daein. They say she was presumably assassinated along with Mishiah (wtf her name is) but no one bothered to mention it? At least in passing? Unless they did in PoR and my faulty memory is to blame.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Micaiah can also see into the future, which is kind of why I got annoyed with her. Like, the Sacrifice thing is okay because it's used to explain why she can heal without a staff (gameplay). But being able to go "oh crap we should go back because of some kid"? Yeah.

That is my gripe with it. A manakete Lord would have been cool, but it feels like something IS threw in at the last minute to make Corrin seem special.

Micaiah can also see into the future, which is kind of why I got annoyed with her. Like, the Sacrifice thing is okay because it's used to explain why she can heal without a staff (gameplay). But being able to go "oh crap we should go back because of some kid"? Yeah.

But that was the thing though, the future sight thing is specifically a heron power though. It's because she's branded that she has this power. What's BS is how she has this power established and we see how strong it is, but conveniently the air is "too chaotic" to use it against Ike. Ever. That's more garbage than anything else about her power.

But that was the thing though, the future sight thing is specifically a heron power though. It's because she's branded that she has this power. What's BS is how she has this power established and we see how strong it is, but conveniently the air is "too chaotic" to use it against Ike. Ever. That's more garbage than anything else about her power.

Except it was already established all the way back in PoR that Herons are affected a lot by the chaos of warfare, to the point of making them physically ill and interfering with their powers at its worst?

Except it was already established all the way back in PoR that Herons are affected a lot by the chaos of warfare, to the point of making them physically ill and interfering with their powers at its worst?

people not paying attention to the lore and world building of previous fire emblem games then complaining there isn't enough in the newer ones? say it ain't so!

its part of what i mean by that people can be really shallow and not wanting to look up helpful information, i really must wonder how many opinions are formed from either willing ignorance or unwilling ignorance.

i have the feeling this is part of the reason why awakening and fates have so little world building and stuff, why bother if people aren't going to care about it like they do in dark souls?

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

Micaiah is by far the better implemented character as it feels they actually managed to get their point across she isn't right, and her judgement often leads to major mistakes and she is clearly horribly emotionally scarred.

Corrin is so poorly implemented that you can't even gauge that much sadly

That is my gripe with it. A manakete Lord would have been cool, but it feels like something IS threw in at the last minute to make Corrin seem special.

To be honest I think it was planned to have importance however much of the game seems disjointed or rushed together storywise.

The end effect is the same but I think they may have tried to rush a deadline considering the early delays.

I just get the feeling that the story was an after thought. They thought of game play scenarios they wanted to do and in the end started to run out of time.

Corrin's character regardless of the route chosen is abysmal and is probably the worst story/plot I have ever seen in a "professional" game and that is saying something.

The story feels like they went directly from story board to rough draft with no revisions and then rushed that off as the final product...

IS's best example of story telling was probably the Tellius games despite some of the ridiculous things that went on in the background *cough* Blood Pact*cough* And this was precisely because the interaction between world and the characters was shown in a way they could be related to i.e. able to see the culture differences in place to place on a consistent basis.

Fates doesn't do any of that... it just made a bunch of 1D characters that are all fixated on the main character. We don't even know the continent's name...

people not paying attention to the lore and world building of previous fire emblem games then complaining there isn't enough in the newer ones? say it ain't so!

its part of what i mean by that people can be really shallow and not wanting to look up helpful information, i really must wonder how many opinions are formed from either willing ignorance or unwilling ignorance.

i have the feeling this is part of the reason why awakening and fates have so little world building and stuff, why bother if people aren't going to care about it like they do in dark souls?

I think there was even a conversation between Micaiah and sothe where she mentioned that the war had made her loose her powers effectively.

I makes me sad that the world building is being ignored in the newer games I wish people were not blind to what they miss because they didn't look deep enough.

Edited by Dragrath

Problem here is that even IS sort of forgets this. None of the other herons are affected by the chaos itself like Micaiah is in the story. Even Leanne, the heron that seems to be most fragile and non-chaotic of the three siblings. Micaiah is, but Reyson, the main one that is in the fray of all the chaos, is not. Sure they sort of mention this with a "you're used to this now," but considering that Micaiah has been part of a resistance since Begnion took over (so at least 3 years or so), and has constantly been fighting, you'd think she'd be more used to it, and less affected by it than any of the herons. Reyson didn't join the Crimean army until more than half of the fighting was over, and Ike's supports with him imply that this illness just makes him (them) feel bad. There isn't anything about interfering with powers.

if you actually bothered to remember what Garon said way back in Chapter 7

What the heck, why are you being so rude to me when all I said was that you DON'T need the DLC in order to know Kamui's ancestry.

Whether it's relevant or not isn't the point, I was just correcting that it is in fact said in the main game and thus is actually known. Therefore it's something to take into consideration because it still exists within Conquest, I wasn't even arguing one direction or the other.

Edited by Leonarbow