Rezzy

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're getting better at shading for sure! You should start considering working with more dynamic backgrounds and lighting. For example, it looks like there's a moon behind Kyubey and with that in mind, the lighting of the drawing could look like this (which I did quickly):

Kyubey2_zpseg62v5q5.png

When the main light source is behind the figure, the light is shining on their backs so there wouldn't actually be light on their fronts but instead just around the edges. Depending on the light intensity, it could result in there being of a 'glow' around the figure. But lighting does A LOT in effecting the context and mood of the drawing.

Edited by carefreejules

You're getting better at shading for sure! You should start considering working with more dynamic backgrounds and lighting. For example, it looks like there's a moon behind Kyubey and with that in mind, the lighting of the drawing could look like this (which I did quickly):

Kyubey2_zpseg62v5q5.png

When the main light source is behind the figure, the light is shining on their backs so there wouldn't actually be light on their fronts but instead just around the edges. Depending on the light intensity, it could result in there being of a 'glow' around the figure. But lighting does A LOT in effecting the context and mood of the drawing.

Neat, how do you do the glow affect? I don't think I've been able to get colors that vibrant.

I tried looking for a way to "clip" the shading layer, but was unable to find a way to do it on GIMP. It's not a huge deal, I just have to be meticulous not to go outside the boundaries. I can sort of pull it off with the "fuzzy select" tool, but it always seems to leave a slight fuzzy white smudge for lack of a better term at the line boundaries.

Neat, how do you do the glow affect? I don't think I've been able to get colors that vibrant.

I tried looking for a way to "clip" the shading layer, but was unable to find a way to do it on GIMP. It's not a huge deal, I just have to be meticulous not to go outside the boundaries. I can sort of pull it off with the "fuzzy select" tool, but it always seems to leave a slight fuzzy white smudge for lack of a better term at the line boundaries.

reasons why I don't use GIMP anymore haha

I don't remember if GIMP has this, but the reason why the glow looks so bright and vibrant is because the layer is set to 'luminosity', which is a layer type that radically brightens up the colours you use to make them look more vibrant and bright.

But if GIMP doesn't have this, you can just pick a really bright colour and use your available blur tool to soften the edges. That's basically what I did.

Also the reason why there's that fuzzy white small border around the lines depends on the actual lines OR if you're colouring on the same layer as the line art (this makes a big difference). If your lines are made via pencil (like an actual pencil), the 'white' border could be the grayer parts of the pencil lines since when you scan the drawing in, those lines are not going to be completely black through and through.

BUT, it could also have to do with how your colouring. Are you colouring everything on the same layer? If so, you should consider colour on a different layer by selecting what you want to colour on the line art layer, make a new layer UNDERNEATH the line art layer and colour on that. What you selected should still be effective regardless on which layer you decide to work on. Here's the difference:

tut_zpsd3qtiypt.png

Now if you find it that there's still a white border, there should be an option to expand the selection which will enlargen the selection area. It's OK if the selection goes past the line art a little since you're colouring on the layer underneath it.

Now the only problem I see happening is that if you are scanning drawings in, make sure you make a NEW layer on top of the original drawing for your line art and then deleting the original sketch once you're done lining. The reason I say this is because if you line on the same layer as your sketch, you won't be able to see any changes to layers below it because everything on the top layer is covered. You want layers to be transparent so you can make changes and see those changes all the way through. I believe GIMP does this too, but you can tell which parts of the drawing are transparent if you see the checkered pattern like you see in the screenshot above.

reasons why I don't use GIMP anymore haha

I don't remember if GIMP has this, but the reason why the glow looks so bright and vibrant is because the layer is set to 'luminosity', which is a layer type that radically brightens up the colours you use to make them look more vibrant and bright.

But if GIMP doesn't have this, you can just pick a really bright colour and use your available blur tool to soften the edges. That's basically what I did.

Also the reason why there's that fuzzy white small border around the lines depends on the actual lines OR if you're colouring on the same layer as the line art (this makes a big difference). If your lines are made via pencil (like an actual pencil), the 'white' border could be the grayer parts of the pencil lines since when you scan the drawing in, those lines are not going to be completely black through and through.

BUT, it could also have to do with how your colouring. Are you colouring everything on the same layer? If so, you should consider colour on a different layer by selecting what you want to colour on the line art layer, make a new layer UNDERNEATH the line art layer and colour on that. What you selected should still be effective regardless on which layer you decide to work on. Here's the difference:

tut_zpsd3qtiypt.png

Now if you find it that there's still a white border, there should be an option to expand the selection which will enlargen the selection area. It's OK if the selection goes past the line art a little since you're colouring on the layer underneath it.

Now the only problem I see happening is that if you are scanning drawings in, make sure you make a NEW layer on top of the original drawing for your line art and then deleting the original sketch once you're done lining. The reason I say this is because if you line on the same layer as your sketch, you won't be able to see any changes to layers below it because everything on the top layer is covered. You want layers to be transparent so you can make changes and see those changes all the way through. I believe GIMP does this too, but you can tell which parts of the drawing are transparent if you see the checkered pattern like you see in the screenshot above.

Yeah, I used to draw in pencil, and then scan it in, but I bought a drawing tablet a few months back and have been using that since then. It's still hard to get as natural of lines, but I think I've gotten a little better.

Likewise, I used to draw all in one layer, but now I color in a separate layer (as well as shade in yet another layer in my most recent drawings).

I use the fuzzy select to bucket fill the colors, and then go back and color over the white fuzz manually, but it's probably the most tedious, boring part of the drawing process. If I'm in a hurry and it's not too noticeable, I sometimes skip that step.

I'd be open to using something other than GIMP, but I'm a bit of a cheapskate, and would want to get something that didn't require any sort of "subscription" to use, like Microsoft Word. (Do they do it like that?) My drawing time is sporadic, since I often go weeks without being able to make anything. I wouldn't mind a one time purchase, if it was cheap. Although something better and free would be ideal. It did take me a while to figure out GIMP, so something user friendly, or similar would be best.

There's actually a lot of free art programs out there that are pretty good!

Medibang paint- Good free software that you can also get on your ipad/phone too! The layout is kind of eh for me, and customizing brushes is a bit hard, but if you're not at a computer a lot/have your phone or tablet with you more often, this could be good to look into~ https://medibangpaint.com/en/

Krita- It's kind of photoshop-esq layout wise, but it has a lot of brushes if you like those~ I haven't gotten to do much with it yet, but it has a lot of features like filters and stuff. https://krita.org/en/

Those would be my 2 go to's, but there's some other free ones like My paint, paint.net, and this page with some cheap and free ones listed (don't know much about them though but I have friends that used them :P)

(My post might've gotten messed up earlier sorry)

Edited by Limstella

There's actually a lot of free art programs out there that are pretty good!

Medibang paint- Good free software that you can also get on your ipad/phone too! The layout is kind of eh for me, and customizing brushes is a bit hard, but if you're not at a computer a lot/have your phone or tablet with you more often, this could be good to look into~ https://medibangpaint.com/en/

Krita- It's kind of photoshop-esq layout wise, but it has a lot of brushes if you like those~ I haven't gotten to do much with it yet, but it has a lot of features like filters and stuff. https://krita.org/en/

Those would be my 2 go to's, but there's some other free ones like My paint, paint.net, and this page with some cheap and free ones listed (don't know much about them though but I have friends that used them :P)

(My post might've gotten messed up earlier sorry)

I hear Fire Alpaca is pretty good too! It's free and is described as a hybrid between photoshop and paint tool sai.

Thanks, I'll have to give those a try when I have time.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Nym said:

Uhh, you are right, rip my moving eeveelutions gifs

Hopefully, it's only temporary, and they'll readd them soon.

2 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Hopefully, it's only temporary, and they'll readd them soon.

Well Joshua doesn't seem to be done yet, so yea probably.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2016 at 7:00 PM, Rezzy said:

In honor of the best example of motherhood in Pokemon, I thought I'd do my interpretation of Lusamine from Pokemon Sun and Moon.

6d244521-b6c7-4975-8dc2-76c4eec53b32_zps

Feedback is always appreciated!

Truly terrifying. And she's ALREADY scary in-game! That's quite a feat haha.

39 minutes ago, BANRYU said:

Truly terrifying. And she's ALREADY scary in-game! That's quite a feat haha.

Why, thank you!  I wanted to capture the insanity.  I tried to make her eye with the running mascara look a bit like a jelly-fish to show her obsession with the Pokemon, but also how her worldview is seen through that filter.

I'm debating whether I should draw or catch up on paperwork today.

1 minute ago, Rezzy said:

Why, thank you!  I wanted to capture the insanity.  I tried to make her eye with the running mascara look a bit like a jelly-fish to show her obsession with the Pokemon, but also how her worldview is seen through that filter.

I'm debating whether I should draw or catch up on paperwork today.

Ahhh I didn't catch that, that's a clever detail. (Her worldview is also seen through her absurd curtain of hair lol.)

ABD always be drawing ~3o would that I took my own advice OTL

• 4 months later...

Wow, it's been forever since I was able to do any drawing.

Here's a couple, with the second a minor change of the first.

My drawing of Palla...

PallaTraceShade_zpsg8oegojv.png

And next, I decided to change her hair to my color, so basically Rezzy as a Pegasus Knight.

RachelPegasus_zpskchiocqj.png

I'm a little rusty, but I always appreciate feedback!  It feels nice to draw again, hopefully, my kids will let me do it again soon.

I wasn't sure who to draw, so I figured I'd draw Oboro.  @Arcanite @Anime27Arts plus any other Oboro fans out there.

OboroShade2_zpscrbjesvq.png

Feedback is always appreciated!  I drew her without that belly-shield thing, since I always thought it looked a bit weird.

10 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I wasn't sure who to draw, so I figured I'd draw Oboro.  @Arcanite @Anime27Arts plus any other Oboro fans out there.

Hm well I'm no art pro but:

Spoiler

Its obviously not the greatest thing I've ever seen in my entire life but it looks like a more confident perspective of Oboro. She looks less sincere and more serious.

I like that!

Her arm that's behind her back looks like she's itching her butt or something though XD Also, it looks like your lines altogether aren't exactly..... "straight" but the eyebrows could look a little more.....

"proportionate"

Again, I'm no expert so take from this whatever you want! Thanks for this :D:

Once you can get a little bit better, I think I'd use one of your pieces of crap art!

I really like it. 

And now some artist to artist feedback.  Its evaluation time!*cue dramatic music*

Spoiler

Alright for the proportion of the head to the body is pretty nice. I know I tend to make the head too big but this is nicely proportionate.  Nowi for one know it is hard to have straight lines, I draw with a drag pad on an old chromebook, but a tip on working with them is to not draw on part all in one line.  Taking multiple smaller strokes, whether drawing a back sketch frame or connecting each one for a final outline,  will help with a shaky hand. This is mainly applicable in places where uts awkward to have swaying lines like body parts. This can be used with clothing as well but usually clothing has a natural wave to it. That being said, I think the clothing is something Oboro herself would be proud of.  The sleeves are superiorly done in my opinion. I would work on trying to make the neck a little straighter but its not too bad.  That's just my two sense.  Now that pose is one o recognize as a "I don't like to draw hands"pose, which i do more than i want to admit.  Her arm behind her back could have been put by her side so that it does not look like she's "scratching her butt" as my twin says.   With the fist on the other side, it seems you have the right idea.  When making the knuckles proportionate you can divide the end into four equal parts to make it easier.  If you dont want to physically draw each dip between knuckles i suggest bringing the lines up a little farther.  If you wanted to avoid the hand situation all together I tend to crop the picture so no one can see anything I didn't draw well.

Her face is nicely done.  My only concern would be those eyebrows.   I myself have very expressive eyebrows so I understand the position but it seems the left one is thicker than the other.  Breaking them into smaller lines will help.   Now to the hair.  This was well executed. The strand coming from the right side is a tad weird, probably because it is a bit thick and behind her shoulder rather than in front.  The ponytail also seems a bit flat.  The main thing about hair is volume.   Hair, unless greased back to the head, always has volume.  Giving it that volume will help give it that nice sillohete and make it look like its not stuck to the head.  

I really want you to know you did a great job with this.  I tried to pull out things to help because if someone is told their art is perfect they will not try any more. I do love the coloring and the shading is gorgeous! I could never shade like that.   I know you will improve and do great. 

I'm extremely flattered that you remembered my love for Oboro.   If you want me to critic any other piece I'd gladly oblige. 

Thanks for the responses, guys.  I had an in-depth response all typed out, but then my home internet crashed and hasn't come back, so I have to use my phone, which isn't as conducive to long responses.  Hopefully it gets restored tomorrow, and then I'll be a bit more verbose.

I hope to get back to drawing, since I'm a bit out of practice.

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I hope to get back to drawing, since I'm a bit out of practice.

I'm certainly looking forward to it! Can't wait to see what other cool things you have in store, as well as seeing you progress if you hope to become a super doctor-artist expert or something :D:

Seeing as you posted on mine @Rezzy, I thought I'd come and look at your art.

I've been looking back at your older drawings and I like how you've changed your style from then to now. Do you draw solely on a tablet or do you use a pencil sketch first? 

Anyway, I really like your style now. It's nice. 

2 hours ago, Natalie said:

I've been looking back at your older drawings and I like how you've changed your style from then to now. Do you draw solely on a tablet or do you use a pencil sketch first? 

I used to start with a pencil sketch, but lately, I've been doing it all on the drawing tablet.

2 hours ago, Natalie said:

I used to start with a pencil sketch, but lately, I've been doing it all on the drawing tablet.