More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

Unpopular opinions, you say? I'm in!

-I don't like Ike, he was my least favorite lord in the series until Nohrrin went ahead and seized the crown for himself.

-Related, Radiant Dawn's plot was hurt by IntSys shoehorning Ike into the main character spot again, thus taking away screentime that could have better served Micaiah or Elincia or pretty much anyone else (especially Sothe!). Having him be important again was bad enough, but giving over half the game's screentime to a character who then proceeded to not develop at all because he already had a game to showcase his character development? It's not the biggest flaw that Radiant Dawn has in my opinion, but it's a big one.

-To finish out the trifecta of unpopular Tellius opinions, the Black Knight was a terrible villain with unsympathetic motives that, for some reason, are supposed to make his death tragic despite all of the horrible things he did.

-Camus and the archetype he spawned are, with a few expectations, all selfish, short-sighted hypocrites and I hope IntSys won't include one in FE15 or, if they do, put more effort into showing why the Camus is so loyal.

-Speaking of archetypes, the token heroic loli manaketes are also something that need to go, or at least need to not be so omnipresent.

-Ephiram is really overrated, though he isn't a bad character otherwise.

-I want prepromote units to be able to use more than one weapon again, mostly so we can get back sword-using Troubadours.

-Genealogy had the best method for dealing with weapon durability, and if durability ever comes back that's the system I want them to use.

-Supports need to go back to being limited, especially S Supports. It won't eliminate bad supports but it will help limit them. Most of Awakening and Fates' bad supports were the result of forcing characters with nothing in common and no chemistry to interact.

-The Light/Dark/Anima weapon triangle needs to come back.

-Similarly, the bow/shuriken/magic triangle was poorly balanced and having bows be part of any weapon triangle was just a bad idea.

I don't like the philanderer archetype, Sain, Gatrie, Inigo, etc. I like some of these guys okay, but wish they would knock it off. It gets old.

I like Inigo more than most of the philanderers because he actually has more to his personality, even if he doesn't get to show it much, but otherwise this is another archetype that needs to be better thought out or gotten rid of. I replayed FE7 recently and was amazed by how insufferable Sain was, even in the short screentime he got.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I wonder if liking the womanizers is unpopular, because I tend to like them, Sain being my favorite. :P I actually like his flattery and if you look hard enough, you see that he has more personality than at first glance. Even outside of supports. Check out his reaction to Lundgren when you put them against each other. Lundgren praises Sain and says he prefers him over Kent, calling Kent a stubborn fool, and wants Sain to join his army, but Sain valiantly declines saying that he likes his friend, Kent "the stubborn fool." He turned down a big offer simply for a great friend! Sain can actually be pretty serious and awesome, you just have to look in the right places. And he cracks me up sometimes! lol Also, he's hot. <3

But I also still like Gatrie, Inigo, and Virion! Inigo being my second fav.

Edited by Anacybele

I think berating a unit for being too inefficient is just inaccurate, and only shows part of that character's gameplay strengths and weaknesses. There are some that are worth using if you can level grind (Est in Shadow Dragon, she was really easy to arena abuse in the chapter she joined), and I think there should be a separate tier to take grinding into account. The efficiency factor would be more valid if we are talking about, say, FE Conquest which has no level grinding whatsoever (not even arena abuse!).

On a related note, there are no characters that are truly bad in gameplay terms in Sacred Stones. If I have time to whinge about crappy stats in that game, I just go to the Tower of Valni. Though cray stats are valid reasons for excluding a unit for the Lagdou Ruins.

Not a fan of FE7 when it looks like a bunch of small-group adventurers unlike a full-scale war of most other games.

Arena and boss abuse are entirely fair game, and I am not ashamed to say that I use them a lot. Except for FE6 which actually have turn limits on certain chapters.

I enjoyed FE6 for downplaying some of the fantastic elements (no zombies, no sentinent creatures except the Manaketes etc) and going for a more down-to-earth approach.

Edited by henrymidfields

I'm not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I really hate Sanaki. Any time in video games, movies, literature, etc there's a child ruler, I almost always end up hating them. A kid with that kind of power almost invariably ends up being an insufferable brat. I hated her the moment we met her. "Oh, you don't want to be treated like the child you are? Then don't act like one! You little hide-and-go-seeking twerp."

I find Tibarn annoying in Radiant Dawn. He turns everything into his own little vendetta.

I didn't mind the Black Knight for most of the game, but I hated the second duel between Ike and him in RD. Ike, this guy killed your father in cold blood. Don't treat him like he's some great teacher for you. Being calm about this is fine, but don't get chummy with him. It feels wrong and awkward.

Now I wonder if liking the womanizers is unpopular, because I tend to like them, Sain being my favorite. :P I actually like his flattery and if you look hard enough, you see that he has more personality than at first glance. Even outside of supports. Check out his reaction to Lundgren when you put them against each other. Lundgren praises Sain and says he prefers him over Kent, calling Kent a stubborn fool, and wants Sain to join his army, but Sain valiantly declines saying that he likes his friend, Kent "the stubborn fool." He turned down a big offer simply for a great friend! Sain can actually be pretty serious and awesome, you just have to look in the right places. And he cracks me up sometimes! lol Also, he's hot. <3

But I also still like Gatrie, Inigo, and Virion! Inigo being my second fav.

I do like most of these characters to an extent. It's just that first impressions go a long way, and it's a bad way to start off.

I like Kent, I loved Kent and Fiora's support. Maybe I like them because often people say that I'm cold and distant, both to my face and behind my back.

I like Kent, I loved Kent and Fiora's support. Maybe I like them because often people say that I'm cold and distant, both to my face and behind my back.

I don't like Kent, and I was bored by his support with Fiora at first, but I do admit that when I saw the irony in it, I did grow to like it. :P But I still don't like them as a couple as much as Sain and Fiora. I just didn't see enough cuteness like I did in Sain x Fiora, I think. xP Everybody has their preferences and tastes, though, so it's no biggie. :)

And yes, Taco, Inigo and Sain are hilarious! I totally agree. lol

I don't like Kent, and I was bored by his support with Fiora at first, but I do admit that when I saw the irony in it, I did grow to like it. :P But I still don't like them as a couple as much as Sain and Fiora. I just didn't see enough cuteness like I did in Sain x Fiora, I think. xP Everybody has their preferences and tastes, though, so it's no biggie. :)

And yes, Taco, Inigo and Sain are hilarious! I totally agree. lol

Funnily enough, Kent's support with Fiora is what made me like him.

- Fire Emblem should go back to minimal story and minimal characterization

- FE7 had the best support conversations

- Awakening's art was uninspiring (it's bad when I think a grand total of zero new guys are cute)

. . .I'll think of more later. Maybe.

I'll go for the two that people always seem to get weirdly aggressive with me for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

★I'm a big fan of Pelleas' character and story. Some of my favorite shit in Fire Emblem, tbh. FE10 itself had great potential for story had it been more focused on the DB, man

★I like Erk a lot. It would be super duper if people fought the burning need to tell me how much better Pent is whenever I said I liked Erk. I never even mention who's better or worse but it still always comes up somehow??

Edited by Specta

- Birthright is the best game in the series.
- FE7 is a literal nightmare in terms of cast, designs, and gameplay. The colors are utterly horrifying.

- Kozaki's more muted colors are amazing.

- FE5 has better character design than Tellius, Elibe, or Genealogy.

- Archanea and Awakening deserve their extra attention.

- More lords should have blue hair and swords.

- Avatars and Reclassing are the best.

- Chrom, Corrin, and Marth are the best Lords.

- Hero is a bad class.

- Owain is a horrible, horrible character

- Ike is the worst Lord and Micaiah runs circles around him.

- Fates' style should be the basis for the rest of the series.

- However, checking My Castle is occasionally a chore.

- I love villains who have little motivation and are evil for the fun of it.

- Iago is a great villain.

I'll go for the two that people always seem to get weirdly aggressive with me for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

stop having opinions, thanks

erk is a cool dude though

but pent is better

stop having opinions, thanks

erk is a cool dude though

but pent is better

that's wasn't nearly aggressive enough

that was like a sweet and gentle whisper of pent's superiority instead of the usual swearing and shouting

do it again

Zephiel's backstory does more to hinder than to help him. All I saw was that there was only one person in Bern, if not the world who didn't like him. Sure, its his dad but he's hardly the only Fire emblem character who went through that. He just strikes me as a drama lama.

Nergal is a fantastic villain all around.

I find it weird how many people find Tharja attractive. The way she clutches her tome, the look in her eyes and pale skin give me more the image of a coffee addicted spaz then any sort of eye candy.

I also wonder why Odin is considered so attractive. He doesn't look bad but...just average to me.

I like Odin the least of the Awakening trio. Inigo and Severa both grew as characters but Odin strikes me as just Owain in another world.

I kind of resent the attention Akenaia receives. Being the first has its perks but almost every other cast of characters has already surpassed the mutes from that continent. That those casts are left behind while the Akeneans get the crossover, the (old) anime and more irks me.

Male Morgan is better then female Morgan.

★I'm a big fan of Pelleas' character and story. Some of my favorite shit in Fire Emblem, tbh. FE10 itself had great potential for story had it been more focused on the DB, man

★I like Erk a lot. It would be super duper if people fought the burning need to tell me how much better Pent is whenever I said I liked Erk. I never even mention who's better or worse but it still always comes up somehow??

I agree with you on both counts.

I like Erk's personality and his great availability. I actually don't use Pent all that much, since Erk's already a solid member of my team by then.

I tend to like the quiet, reserved characters, like Kent, but I can see how some would find them boring. Oddly, Kieran is my favorite Tellius cavalier. I wish he and Mia had a support.

Edited by Rezzy

I like Erk's personality and his great availability. I actually don't use Pent all that much, since Erk's already a solid member of my team by then.

This is something I do a lot. I don't care about Pent's bases, I'm using the first mage I get every game. I need my magic.

I think the GBA era is the lowest point in the series.

Oh yeah, I agree with this too, though I do like Sacred Stones. I just don't like FE7 and have no interest in FE6. It just hasn't given me any reasons to want to play it. I even tried looking at a Let's Play of it.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I really hate Sanaki. Any time in video games, movies, literature, etc there's a child ruler, I almost always end up hating them. A kid with that kind of power almost invariably ends up being an insufferable brat. I hated her the moment we met her. "Oh, you don't want to be treated like the child you are? Then don't act like one! You little hide-and-go-seeking twerp."

I find Tibarn annoying in Radiant Dawn. He turns everything into his own little vendetta.

I didn't mind the Black Knight for most of the game, but I hated the second duel between Ike and him in RD. Ike, this guy killed your father in cold blood. Don't treat him like he's some great teacher for you. Being calm about this is fine, but don't get chummy with him. It feels wrong and awkward.

I do like most of these characters to an extent. It's just that first impressions go a long way, and it's a bad way to start off.

U wot m8? Honestly, though, this actually really bothers me in general. I hate it when people think power is something desirable to have. I wouldn't wish being put in charge of the most powerful nation on the continent bar Goldoa on my worst enemies. And yeah, I agree that the hide and seek was bad, but it was more a fault of the game's writing than the story itself. Royalty deserve their palaces for doing the worst job in the entire country, especially when they're kids, and especially when they don't do a bad job given their circumstances.

• FE3 has the worst designs for any set of newcomer characters, I love the FE1 cast, but the new guys suck

Arvis is a creep and not worthy of half the sympathy people give him

Senri Kita isn't a bad artist, but her work is bland and uninspired

Kusakihara gave the series the visual shot in the arm it needed