More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

I'm not sure if it's an unpopular opinion, but I really hate Sanaki. Any time in video games, movies, literature, etc there's a child ruler, I almost always end up hating them. A kid with that kind of power almost invariably ends up being an insufferable brat. I hated her the moment we met her. "Oh, you don't want to be treated like the child you are? Then don't act like one! You little hide-and-go-seeking twerp."

TFW she's not even the real ruler of Begnion. If anyone could cow or even disband the Senate, it would be Micaiah, especially if Sothe was her left hand. Sanaki had Zelgius, but half the time, he was in Daein, pretending to help Micaiah so that he could help Sephiran with his plan.

That said, my unpopular opinion is that the main antagonists of FE are seldom evil. They have valid and justifiable reasons for doing things, or, barring that, have poor role models, bad influences, or shitty upbringings. If none of the following applies, it's probably because their a demon, dragon, or some kind of otherworldly force that finds itself incompatible with human nature by default, and therefore is evil.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, my unpopular opinion is that the main antagonists of FE are seldom evil. They have valid and justifiable reasons for doing things, or, barring that, have poor role models, bad influences, or shitty upbringings. If none of the following applies, it's probably because their a demon, dragon, or some kind of otherworldly force that finds itself incompatible with human nature by default, and therefore is evil.

That's not a unpopular that's objectively correct... Most fire emblem villains are not evil of their own devices... That being said it does not justify the actions of the non possessed ones, they are still evil for all intents and purposes but they're just good villains imo, because in my opinion a good villains are the ones that you can see the dark path that led to there actions and why there doing what there doing. This why Zephiel, Ashnard, and Nergal trump most series villains for me, because their human, they feel human and they're doing their actions of themselves, no one is controlling them (Which is why I am really not that fond of Lyon).

I'll add one new opinion to my unpopular opinions FE 6's Story is actually pretty good it just happens to be hiding underneath the true bloody ending (which I find frankly baffling, as playing without it gave me a bad impression of the game, I guess I appreciate the reward for completing the Gaiden chapters but first impressions are everything), and I feel that it and FE 7 build each other with themes and messages in the way that FE 9 & 10 completely failed to do (due to the fact that FE 10 has completely different fetching themes and expounds FE 9 in real way). When taking to go these two stories have a beautiful message that is totally unappreciated in the community because few people bother to look for it.

And the next one more I think most people would find that their least favorite fire emblems aren't as bad as they think they are, if they would just replay them with an open mind, as I replay more and more fire emblems that I previously disliked back in the day (FE 6, FE 10), I find that more fire emblems were victims of my expectations more than anything as each one has its own merits, In fact due to actually enjoying FE 12 I am willing to give FE 11 one more chance (which is one of the few games I truly hate) at some future point, it would still be on the bottom rung of fire emblem games I played but maybe this time I will still like it... Frankly this Fanbase reminds me too much of the Zelda Fanbase at points because it can agree on exactly nothing, much like Zelda Fanbase we can't even agree that any one of the games are basically good!

For the rest of my unpopular opinions please refer back to the thread we had like I don't know a month ago, or the one we had the month before that. (I swear this thread gets resurrected like on a monthly fetching basis you guys sure like your unpopular opinions).

Edit: Man that ended up way too long I really shouldn't post at night I tend to ramble.

Edited by Locke087

TFW she's not even the real ruler of Begnion. If anyone could cow or even disband the Senate, it would be Micaiah, especially if Sothe was her left hand. Sanaki had Zelgius, but half the time, he was in Daein, pretending to help Micaiah so that he could help Sephiran with his plan.

This again? Look, anyone could cow the Senate after RD. I probably could, given that the Senate is all dead. And define main antagonist. Because, for example, yeah Arvis has a justifiable reason for doing what he does, but Julius doesn't.

This again? Look, anyone could cow the Senate after RD. I probably could, given that the Senate is all dead. And define main antagonist. Because, for example, yeah Arvis has a justifiable reason for doing what he does, but Julius doesn't.

The senate is all dead? HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN OLIVER, TRUE PATRON OF BEAUTY? YOU CANNOT "COW" SUCH A MAN, NO MATTER YOUR BRIBERY OR DECEPTION HE SHALL ALWAYS CHAMPION THE ONE TRUE CAUSE

The senate is all dead? HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN OLIVER, TRUE PATRON OF BEAUTY? YOU CANNOT "COW" SUCH A MAN, NO MATTER YOUR BRIBERY OR DECEPTION HE SHALL ALWAYS CHAMPION THE ONE TRUE CAUSE

AHA VAGRANT! CLEARLY YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN THAT IN ACTUALITY EVERYONE CHAMPIONS THE ONE TRUE CAUSE! OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH!

- FE7's plot is a mess and it has the most player-insulting moment in the whole series, which pretty much ruined the game for me:

NINIAN'S NOT DEAD LOL

- FE4 is only fun with self-imposed challenges or drafts, but it's an absolute slog to play casually and has tons of awful design choices.

- I enjoyed FE14 in all three routes despite its flawed which I have no problem acknowledging. I also firmly believe that a lot of the hate for FE14 comes from being the "current" game in the series. In fact, I'm positive that when FE15 hits, people will see that FE14 "was not that bad after all".

- I REALLY like FE6's maps outside of a few gimmicky ones like the one with the flying light arrows and the Sacae map with the randomized Seize point. I feel that the large scale of most maps add a lot to the war feel of the game, with Ch.21 in particular being one of the best maps in the series.

Zephiel's backstory does more to hinder than to help him. All I saw was that there was only one person in Bern, if not the world who didn't like him. Sure, its his dad but he's hardly the only Fire emblem character who went through that. He just strikes me as a drama lama.

There's a big difference between "your dad doesn't like you" and "your dad has repeatedly tried to murder you, including with poison that was implied to have caused some serious personality changes." And people not liking Zephiel was never the reason for Zephiel going crazy anyway.

I like Erk's personality and his great availability. I actually don't use Pent all that much, since Erk's already a solid member of my team by then.

I mean, I like Erk and I want to use him, but in most of my games he just ends up not being very good, where as Pent comes in fully prepared and ready to be awesome.

I find it quite interesting that FE3 forcing you to play almost the entire first game again to get what you payed for isn't recognized as the horrible idea that it is more.

But Book 2 is available from the get go. You aren't forced to play Book 1 at all, you can go straight to Book 2. Or did I understand you wrong?

There's a big difference between "your dad doesn't like you" and "your dad has repeatedly tried to murder you, including with poison that was implied to have caused some serious personality changes." And people not liking Zephiel was never the reason for Zephiel going crazy anyway.

The point is more that Desmund really was the one one. The whole of Bern is stated to adore Zephiel and even when he's gone nuts his generals(Narshen aside) are still shown as very devoted to their king. He has all the examples of the world that humanity isn't rotten and yet he keeps focusing on one man.

Its his father but Lex father tried to kill him, Tiltyu's father tells her to her face that she should just die for their house, Robin's father tried to turn him into a demon and Nininian and Nils are repeatedly kidnapped by their father. None of those ever went insane about it.

Its his father but Lex father tried to kill him, Tiltyu's father tells her to her face that she should just die for their house, Robin's father tried to turn him into a demon and Nininian and Nils are repeatedly kidnapped by their father. None of those ever went insane about it.

I don't remember where I read it, but didn't Tiltyu commit suicide anyway? Regardless, her life was pretty short. Ninian/Nils didn't know that it was their father that was kidnapping them. Robin doesn't remember his father. Dunno about Lex. On one hand, Zephiel's fixation on his idiot dad was pretty bad. On the other hand, my parents never tried to have me killed/otherwise despised me, so I don't know how different I'd be if that were the case.

On the flip side, Ike, Eliwood, and Lyn had their fathers die in front of them, and they turned out (mostly) alright. Lyon, on the other hand. . .

The point is more that Desmund really was the one one. The whole of Bern is stated to adore Zephiel and even when he's gone nuts his generals(Narshen aside) are still shown as very devoted to their king. He has all the examples of the world that humanity isn't rotten and yet he keeps focusing on one man.

Your missing the point here is a quote from my old unfinished essay...

"Hellene and Desmond marriage was a forced marriage done for political reasons. There relationship is totally devoid of love and because Desmond loved a different person and he can't see Hellene and by extension Zephiel as anyone other that the symbol of what was taken away from him. Therefore Hellene became an object of resentment for Desmond, Hellene tried make it work it but Desmond's hatred and unfaithfulness eventually led to Hellene becoming as bitter and hate filled as him. This lead them become a essentially divorced, and the family became split with Hellene and Zephiel living in a one castle and Desmond and Guinevere living in the other Castle (I'm sorry Eliwood but your Queen is living in another castle.... Sorry could not pass the joke). Then they started using the kids as a part of their plans to get back at each other. Desmond pushing for Guinevere's future husband to be king, and Hellene pushing for Zephiel to be king. This is not a power struggle, if Desmond just wanted to maintain power he could easily influence Zephiel as he idolizes his father and wants nothing more that his acceptance and the family to be together again (and he worked insanely hard so he could get his approval but since Zephiel was so naturally skilled at everything it just made Desmond jealous of his skill). No this is all about spite, and I going to tell you the modern divorce parallels here pretty crazy on point. "

Zephiel looked up to his father more then any man, and he did literally everything he could to have his father love him. The fact that his entire upbringing he was treated like a tool to his fathers and mother ends, and that no matter how good he was, no matter how hard he tried it never changed. It broke him and lead him to conclude that all men deserve to die, because we all at our heart, selfish, greedy, and self serving. That ultimately nothing good can come from man due to imperfection and emotion, he therefore determined that world should belong to the dragons.

Edited by Locke087

I don't remember where I read it, but didn't Tiltyu commit suicide anyway? Regardless, her life was pretty short. Ninian/Nils didn't know that it was their father that was kidnapping them. Robin doesn't remember his father. Dunno about Lex. On one hand, Zephiel's fixation on his idiot dad was pretty bad. On the other hand, my parents never tried to have me killed/otherwise despised me, so I don't know how different I'd be if that were the case.On the flip side, Ike, Eliwood, and Lyn had their fathers die in front of them, and they turned out (mostly) alright. Lyon, on the other hand. . .

Actually, I'm almost sure that Tiltyu died of depression, rather than commiting suicide.

And to be fair, people react differently to things, for example Eliwood and Lyn are far more emotionally stable than Lyon.

And there are the circumstances as well. Lyon was left with a country to rule that he knew was doomed to destruction, while Lyn, Eliwood and Ike didn't have to deal with things like that.

Edited by Water Mage

But Book 2 is available from the get go. You aren't forced to play Book 1 at all, you can go straight to Book 2. Or did I understand you wrong?

Wait what? The FE wiki lied to me? It said that you had to play through a condensed remake of FE1 without losing anyone and then play the actual game.

I believe I said it before in the last unpopular opinion topic, but i'll say it again here. I found the Black Knight to be a complete scumbag who did't deserve even half of the praise that the game throws at him. Killing a man just to prove yourself better then him is the act of a petty killer and not one of the last true knight.

I thought Fire Emblem 6 was a good back to the basics game and I found Roy to be one of my favorite lords.

I remember the first topic and also having my opinions there, but that was when I was in my teens, so...

-I hated Ninian for the longest time; I still dislike her due to her personality, which I find just plain dull.

-Ike is probably my least favorite Lord character in any Fire Emblem game. The fact that you're basically forced to like him makes it worse.

-FE6 has arguably the best cast in a Fire Emblem game, but one of the worst overall storylines.

This again, huh? I'll just go with what I said last time: I can't stand Blazing Sword. It's boring on every level to me.

T---They do exist...

More unpopular opinions from Master of unpopular opinions

-FE7 is the most boring FE game, as much as I hate Thracia it can at least be entertaining sometimes.

-The gba fe games are the worst games in the series, from a completely gameplay standpoint.

-Pent is my least favorite character in the entire series. He is literally a piece of cardboard in terms of personality, and I think both the other mages in the game are 1000% more interesting than he can ever be.

-FE11 is a really well made game.

-GBA games have the worst artist for character design. The designs themselves are fine but the artwork is really bland and rough on the eyes.

-FE9 is easier than FE8

-All pairings in FE7 are awful.

-The GBA era is the best era of Fire Emblem.

-The GBA character designs are the best in the series.

-FE7 has the best plot and characters in the series.

-FE7 has no bad supports.

-Lyn/Rath is more pushed than Lyn/Hector.

-Roy is a good character.

-FE6 is a good game.

-FE6 has loads of great characters.

-The Tellius games have the weakest plots in the series (but I haven't played Fates yet, so...we'll see how long I hold this opinion).

-I like how FE4 handles weapon durability.

-FE11 and 12 are not the worst games in the series.

That's all for now...I might think of more later.

Another unpopular opinion:

As I prefer Micaiah over Ike, I have a similar relationship with other popular lords.

Eliwood > Hector (also Lyn, but hating Lyn is also not-so-unpopular). Eirika > Ephraim.

Fatigue is a interesting mechanic that I would like to see again same with dismounting.

Dismount should return to the franchise, as should fatigue.

Another unpopular opinion:

Fatigue is a interesting mechanic that I would like to see again same with dismounting.

I bet you 5$ that FE Mobile will change this opinion.

Dismount is cool though I second that...

Edited by Locke087

I bet you 5$ that FE Mobile will change this opinion.

Dismount is cool though I second that...

Haha maybe! I didn't think of that :P:

I just always really liked the concepts and it feels fitting in an military like setting to have some people sit out because of various circumstances, I always have understood why people didn't like it, but I just have a personal appreciation for the mechanic.

Wait what? The FE wiki lied to me? It said that you had to play through a condensed remake of FE1 without losing anyone and then play the actual game.

That's to unlock the extended ending. If you beat both Books in a single playthrough without losing a single character you get an extra scene at the end that shows the Archanea chronology. It's a fine bonus but you're not missing much.

Book 2 can be played on its own the very first time you load the game.