More Unpopular Fire Emblem Opinions

Rezzy

This again? Look, anyone could cow the Senate after RD. I probably could, given that the Senate is all dead. And define main antagonist. Because, for example, yeah Arvis has a justifiable reason for doing what he does, but Julius doesn't.

Julius fits under bad influence/is a demon. Once Manfroy gave the Book of Loptyr to Julius, Arvis knew that he was played. Manfroy=Bad Influence, and Loptyr=Otherworldly force. Combining them creates probably the only irredeemable main villain in the series. As for the Begnion Senate, why wouldn't some other ne'er do well take the place of Lekain (especially since Oliver is still alive by the end of Radiant Dawn, the bastard).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if all of these are unpopular but here I go:

FE8 is the best of the GBA games

FE7 is kinda boring
Nergal is a terrible character
FE6 was frustrating

The only thing that saves Joshua of being a bad character is his last moments with his mother
Tibarn is not that great of a character
Oliver is not the most beautiful thing in existence

Part 1 of FE10 feels pointless once you know what will happen in Part 3
Part 2 of FE10 is the best of the game
The blood pact is even more annoying than the curse of Fates

The Camus archetype is terrible
Sephiram plan is ridiculous
Sanaki is an awesome character

Niles is not that great of a character
Erika is a pretty good character and unit
Elincia is the best character in the series

FE9/10 has the best base system, it allows to take a quick break but is not distracting
Reclasing needs a rework
Camilla design is perfectly fine
Jakob is pretty much Frederick just replace Chrom wth Corrin and take away all the things that make Frederick likeable

Most music in the franchise is pretty forgettable
FE works better in portable consoles.
Micaiah and FE10!Ike are one of the finest examples of wasted potential.

Awakening deserve the praise it got
The anima triangle and having different types of anima tomes was pointless

Conquest story wasn't that bad

And that's pretty much what I can remember.... Man, it was a lot more than I expected.

-I hate Ike.

-Eliwood > Hector

- I like Holyn x Ayra than Lex x Ayra

- I don't like the Julia x Seliph pairing

- Sigurd is slightly overrated

- Nergal, Ashnard, and The Black Knight are terrible villains

- Ninian is a terrible character

- I don't really like Ranulf or Tibarn

- Niles isn't a great character

- Lyn is a good character

- Oliver is creepy :/

- I think Elincia is a great unit character-wise and gameplay wise

- Jamke is underrated while Briggid is overrated

- While dismount makes no sense gameplay-wise, it should return for story integration

- Joshua's backstory came out of nowhere

- Eirika is a better character personality-wise than Ephraim

- The weapon repair system in FE4 should return

I'll go for the two that people always seem to get weirdly aggressive with me for ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

★I'm a big fan of Pelleas' character and story. Some of my favorite shit in Fire Emblem, tbh. FE10 itself had great potential for story had it been more focused on the DB, man

★I like Erk a lot. It would be super duper if people fought the burning need to tell me how much better Pent is whenever I said I liked Erk. I never even mention who's better or worse but it still always comes up somehow??

Your first one, why would anyone get all buttragey with you for that? Pelleas is a hella cool character. And the DB needed more life.

I love Pent more than Erk, but like, its not a crime to like Erk? Sometimes i train him because i like pairing him with Priscilla. Its like, her only happy ending. Poor girl deserves that and he deserves being with her and both being magical powerhouses. (i train Erk when i plan on not using Pent, which actually DOES happen!)

Heres some of mine:

Fanservice doesnt bother me.

Nor does the current direction of the series.

I dont care THAT much about the story being mediocre in Fates.

Emmeryn is the worst conceived character in FE and the only one to personally gross me out.

FE8 had some of the best characters.

Eirika is one of the best lords in the series.

I dont really want to play the games prior to FE6 due to really clunky controls and stuff, and i secretly hold out for them to be remade.

I dont have a problem with avatars but i feel like they need to be more like Mark, storywise.

Julius fits under bad influence/is a demon. Once Manfroy gave the Book of Loptyr to Julius, Arvis knew that he was played. Manfroy=Bad Influence, and Loptyr=Otherworldly force. Combining them creates probably the only irredeemable main villain in the series. As for the Begnion Senate, why wouldn't some other ne'er do well take the place of Lekain (especially since Oliver is still alive by the end of Radiant Dawn, the bastard).

So Ashnard, basically FE's Hitler, is redeemable? I mean, Ashnard is pure evil, in both actions and ideology. And as for the Senate, their power as an institution would be completely and unalterably broken by the events of RD.

• FE5's fatigue system was a great idea but it wasn't implemented very well. Anyways it should return under different circumstances.

Biorhythm should return.

Capturing has been the best mechanic in FE.

I want to see more chapters you have to use stave combos like in FE5's chapters 24 and 24x.

Weapon weight should return with a new system. A mix of the strength and skill stat should be the buffer.

Disabling enemies' movement range should be a customized option. I like to count their movement.

FE6 went in the wrong direction in terms of gameplay.

The large maps in FE4 don't bother me. I sepeate each castle as an own chapter.

FE8 would be my least favorite FE game tied with 13, if Ephraim's route didn't exist.

FE13 was a mistake.

FE5 needs a better translation patch finally... I guess this isn't an unpopular opinion.

Your first one, why would anyone get all buttragey with you for that? Pelleas is a hella cool character. And the DB needed more life.

I love Pent more than Erk, but like, its not a crime to like Erk? Sometimes i train him because i like pairing him with Priscilla. Its like, her only happy ending. Poor girl deserves that and he deserves being with her and both being magical powerhouses. (i train Erk when i plan on not using Pent, which actually DOES happen!)

I have no idea about why people get so up in arms about it. A lot of people who've done so just seem to think Pelleas is too pathetic and weak to be liked and that warrants really strong reactions, apparently!

(I also like to put Erk with Priscilla because her other endings are just uncalled for lmao poor girl...)

Edited by Specta

So far....Conquest story isn't terrible. Its not particularly top tier story telling, there's the massive missed opportunity named Garon and you can see that its compromising for the sake of the two other stories but I expected much worse when reading all the drama.

The pacing seems a bit of an improvement over Awakening. When going to the Rainbow sage you'l have multiple chapters between receiving the mission and getting to him. I feel Awakening would just have you meet him right away.

Not sure if all of these are unpopular but here I go:

FE8 is the best of the GBA games

FE7 is kinda boring

Nergal is a terrible character

FE6 was frustrating

The only thing that saves Joshua of being a bad character is his last moments with his mother

Tibarn is not that great of a character

Oliver is not the most beautiful thing in existence

Part 1 of FE10 feels pointless once you know what will happen in Part 3

Part 2 of FE10 is the best of the game

The blood pact is even more annoying than the curse of Fates

The Camus archetype is terrible

Sephiram plan is ridiculous

Sanaki is an awesome character

Niles is not that great of a character

Erika is a pretty good character and unit

Elincia is the best character in the series

FE9/10 has the best base system, it allows to take a quick break but is not distracting

Reclasing needs a rework

Camilla design is perfectly fine

Jakob is pretty much Frederick just replace Chrom wth Corrin and take away all the things that make Frederick likeable

Most music in the franchise is pretty forgettable

FE works better in portable consoles.

Micaiah and FE10!Ike are one of the finest examples of wasted potential.

Awakening deserve the praise it got

The anima triangle and having different types of anima tomes was pointless

Conquest story wasn't that bad

And that's pretty much what I can remember.... Man, it was a lot more than I expected.

I bolded a few of your statements because you basically hit the nail on the head of all of FE10's problems. It focused so much on the Micaiah/Ike are God storylines that it wasted the potential of the Crimea plot. Elincia's growth in Part 2 is one of the best-written parts of the series, in all honesty.

-FE6 is a good game.

That's actually an extremely common opinion.

Anyway,

- I like FE5's huge stat variance.

- I also like FE5's massive terrain bonuses.

- FE3 and FE5 have the best stat caps.

- Sephiran is the worst villain in the series. Stuff like Validar, while bad beyond repair, at least doesn't retcon everything the story is about (ftr I like both Tellius stories on the whole).

- Chapter 8 has the best map theme in FE4.

- The Bern arc is the best part of FE7's story because of its connection to FE6.

Edited by Gradivus.

that's wasn't nearly aggressive enough

that was like a sweet and gentle whisper of pent's superiority instead of the usual swearing and shouting

do it again

I don't really hate Erk, so I can't summon up the rage.

For mine criticizing Nino has got me stick in the past. Because it's a gameplay discussion. And I say "Pent is a better unit" and people take offense to that. rip.

Edited by Tryhard

Gilliam is one of the worst armored units in the series.
Fog of war and weapon weight should return in future games.

Path of Radiance has an average soundtrack.

FE4 has the best combat soundtrack.

Isadora isn't that bad.
Fates has the most stupid RNG (been playing for 4 days and I've already got hit by two 1% crits).

Kent and Lowen are better cavaliers than Sain.

The same sex marriage options in Fates are underwhelming and pointless.

Removing face touching was a step in the right direction in the series.

As someone who do all their serious playthroughs on Lunatic Classic, I actually like the addition of Phoenix Mode. It lets me test how exactly some mechanics work FOR SCIENCE fairly costlessly (to some fairly extreme degrees if I need to) and also I made like 8 Ryomas for my Ryoma army with it by speedrunning birthright repeatedly and it guarantees I won't even need to reset from a 7% hit 1% crit from a zerk or something.

It's kinda like a debug mode. As a programmer I enjoy these kind of debug modes where I basically do anything the fuck I want. It's like typing my functions directly into the JS console.

-Bring back weapon weight​

-Get rid of grinding. Throw it in the dumpster, incinerate it, and wipe it from the face of the earth. Not sure if this is actually that unpopular, but I had to express this anyway.

-Bring back the ability to dismount.

-Get rid of casual and phoenix mode.

-Only bring back children characters if time actually passes and the parents age.

-Better yet, get rid of them.

-Fates' implementation of the children was just fine. Shitty excuse that makes literally no sense, but I don't care. Adding something like time travel that at least was justifiable would be difficult, and potentially make the overall story a convoluted mess.

-Bring back terrain differences, and by this I mean attacking from ledges and cliffs in FE10 and having increased/decreased hit rates depending on if your unit is the unit on the "higher" terrain. Hope that makes sense.

-More enemy skills on all difficulties

-More games should have Gaiden chapters like in FE11. Finally, reward for sacrificing my units.

-Doesn't matter if secret weapon shops are hard to find, they aren't essential to win.

-Bring back fog of war/ nighttime chapters.

-Not enough "Defend for x turns" chapters.

-Staff variety is amazing. Bring back sleep staves.

-Status effects should last for more than one turn.

-Poison/venine weapons. Yea for them.

-Conquest is the best of the three Fates' games.

-Rout the Enemy gets dreadfully repetitive and shouldn't make up more than half of the objectives for a game.

-Whoever designed FE13's maps should be shot

​-​Pirates are good enemies. Water walking, good.

-Having an avatar is annoying, and takes away from the other main characters. The main character should be able to show up in cutscenes in more than just first person shots, so yeah get rid of avatars.

-The pair up system needs to be nerfed even further.

-Chrom is a damn idiot

-Azama is hilarious

-FE is great on console

-FE13's cast is unimaginative, and most of the characters are defined by single, very simple traits.

-Ricken is annoying, and so is Hayato Ricken 2.0

-FE13 is overrated as shit. I was pretty scared that gameplay would be permanently fucked after this entry, but thank Almighty IS for Conquest.

-More variety in dark tomes

-Light, dark and anima magic should be retained in every game. Bring back their triangle.

-Bring back the anima magic triangle

-Different weapon levels for each type of magic in PoR and RD was a good thing. Made you assign more specific roles to your mages.

Weapon weight, constitution and constitution growth all need to come back. It was a better way to balance weapon use than all the debuffs powerful weapons in Fates have.

Weapon weight, constitution and constitution growth all need to come back. It was a better way to balance weapon use than all the debuffs powerful weapons in Fates have.

I agree with this. I wouldn't mind the PoR system where it was based on Strength, either.

If we did have Constitution back as a stat, I'd like either more Body Rings or a chance for Con to grow, either by %RNG or a static growth, like +1 at every 5 or 10 levels.

I don't like having the million modifiers each weapon has, so I end up just wanting to use forged Iron weapons over Steel or Silver.

Edited by Rezzy

I agree with this. I wouldn't mind the PoR system where it was based on Strength, either.

If we did have Constitution back as a stat, I'd like either more Body Rings or a chance for Con to grow, either by %RNG or a static growth, like +1 at every 5 or 10 levels.

I don't like having the million modifiers each weapon has, so I end up just wanting to use forged Iron weapons over Steel or Silver.

Isn't Fates more clear in how a well a unit will perform with a weapon? Constitution and weapon weight were never explained in the game so unless you memorize the formulas, you won't know the exact numbers for how AS works. I'd rather have a weapon just tell me how much it modifies my AS.

Isn't Fates more clear in how a well a unit will perform with a weapon? Constitution and weapon weight were never explained in the game so unless you memorize the formulas, you won't know the exact numbers for how AS works. I'd rather have a weapon just tell me how much it modifies my AS.

That more a fault of weapon weight never being explained, not the system, itself.

Instead of a constant True Speed = Speed - (Weapon Weight - Constitution), we have weapon A has -5 effective speed, weapon B drops all your stats by 2 after using them, weapon C raises your blood sugar by 300mg/dL, etc.

That more a fault of weapon weight never being explained, not the system, itself.

Instead of a constant True Speed = Speed - (Weapon Weight - Constitution), we have weapon A has -5 effective speed, weapon B drops all your stats by 2 after using them, weapon C raises your blood sugar by 300mg/dL, etc.

The weapon effects were put in primarily to balance unlimited durability so adding in weapon weight again wouldn't change what your complaining about. It would actually make things even more complicated because now you'd have to factor in the weight of ALL weapons instead of the select few with AS penalties.

Con and weight have very simple and intuitive formulas, so this problem tends to be a non-issue. It also helps that if you press A on the stat page and check Con, it says "Affects rescuing and weight". I mean, given FE's consistent and gradual formulas, what kind of formula would you expect any observant player to see in this except "Spd loss = Weight - con"? What may take a while to discern is that you need +4 Spd to double in the GBA/Tellius/DS games, which is a consequence of the game not telling you when you click A on the stat page and check Spd.

I can't comment on Fates' weapon system, but it does make sense to think that the debuffs are too complex and that one simple stat might have been a better solution, although from simply looking at the mechanics I don't see it being better without changing other features notably (e.g. reintroducing some sort of weapon durability).

Edited by Gradivus.

While yes, the game should give you the formula, memorizing it is no trouble at all. It's easy to recognize when strength/con is less than weapon weight, and then do the subtraction, or none at all. Also, constitution gets increased with promotion, making promoted classes even more favorable for wielding better weapons. This makes it so that weapon weight can be overcome, especially if attack speed is calculated with strength. The stat modifiers present on Fates' weapons cannot be overcome.

I actually have no problem with these stat modifiers on weapons and would even favor some of them staying in the game, but I would still prefer that the old AS formula be brought back alongside it.

Edited by Yvette

I'm not sure how unpopular these opinions are but....

The weapon balance in Fates works quite well in my opinion (for the most part). "Forged Iron Weapons: The game" Is greatly underusing your resources.

I think Holy War is played at its best when you use a combination of foot soldiers and cavaliers. Even though it can take forever traveling on foot. If the game gets a remake, they NEED a rescue feature.

I also think you should use whatever character you want, no matter what anyone says, and no matter how good or bad they are.

While yes, the game should give you the formula, memorizing it is no trouble at all. It's easy to recognize when strength/con is less than weapon weight, and then do the subtraction, or none at all. Also, constitution gets increased with promotion, making promoted classes even more favorable for wielding better weapons. This makes it so that weapon weight can be overcome, especially if attack speed is calculated with strength. The stat modifiers present on Fates' weapons cannot be overcome.

I actually have no problem with these stat modifiers on weapons and would even favor some of them staying in the game, but I would still prefer that the old AS formula be brought back alongside it.

Fair enough, it is easy to remember when you look at it, but the interface in past games wasn't very intuitive.

Why should AS modifiers need to be "overcome"? The Fates weapon system is set up to keep all weapons useful in some capacity (they try at least). Steel weapons aren't supposed to replace Iron weapons, they are to give a damage boost to characters fast enough to ignore the AS penalty. In some games, the limiting stats were Strength + Speed. In Fates it's just Speed.

I'm not sure how unpopular these opinions are but....

The weapon balance in Fates works quite well in my opinion (for the most part). "Forged Iron Weapons: The game" Is greatly underusing your resources.

If people literally only use forged irons, then they are underusing their resources but you have to admit, Irons are pretty darn good. They're plentiful, cheap and have no drawbacks like Bronze, Steel and Silver.

Edited by NekoKnight

If people literally only use forged irons, then they are underusing their resources but you have to admit, Irons are pretty darn good. They're plentiful, cheap and have no drawbacks like Bronze, Steel and Silver.

They're quite good. And they're probably the most accessible weapon. I would be lying if I said I didn't use any forged iron, but I do think steel silver will get you a long way, just realize that you don't need to slaughter an army with a silver weapon, but using it sparingly will be beneficial. The only weapons I found underwhelming were the two ranged axe, sword, and Lance, and some of the S rank weapons