Which is better, Birthright or Conquest?

105 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better game?

• Birthright
    • Conquest

There really is no best route, at least, in my opinion. It all depends on what you're attached to.

If you're a fan of Awakening's system, especially the grinding, then Birthright is definitely for you. Some people also like to recommend newcomers of the series to try Birthright first as a crash course of how the games work.

If you're a fan of the older Fire Emblem games, like the variety of victory conditions, or just want a good challenge in general, Conquest is recommended.

Although, I definitely like Conquest the best. It arguably has the best development and storytelling or writing of all three routes. (Note: best does not mean compelling and good.) While the characters may seem weird or even out-of-place sometimes, you can't argue that a fair amount of them really shine in supports, especially the Nohr Royals. While I can't 100% speak for the next reason myself, but I do see a lot of people agreeing to it, Conquest is deemed to have some of the best gameplay in the series.

Edited by Weekender

Conquest and it's not even close to being close

I really dig its map design and difficulty. Birthright is a bit boring IMO

Edited by Nobody

Conquest.

Firstly, before the game was released, I had doubts on the character designs of Birthright as they didn't look or aren't that great to begin with. I don't mind the style of it but rather, the design of the characters is what annoys me.

Conquest nails the character design. It also nails on the Tactical Gameplay which it has a lot of variety out of. Between the two games ( and probably even the third), Conquest's Dragon Veins are the most interesting and the most useful of them all. Because of that, the maps are very memorable more than Birthright and Revelation.

I personally like that limited resources thing. It makes the tactical approach of things even better.

Gameplay and map wise, Conquest is the better of the two. Birthright is kind of outrageously easy, but that doesn't make it bad. Its good for newcomers.

• 3 months later...

Conquest wins easily. Its satisfyingly hard, the map design can compete with the very best out of the series and there is plenty of variety. All things combine to form a Fire emblem that's both very pleasant and very rewarding to succeed at.

I always found Birthright to bare bones for my liking. The maps are bland, the objectives always the same and the game seems far easier then Awakening ever was.

The story of Conquest gets a lot of flak but at least its there which I kind of doubt in Birthright. I never got the feeling the story was being presented with a lot of enthusiasm before the fight with Xander.

Both route are good, bu have their flaws.

I like Conquest more because it;s gameplay is unique, has better characters, map design. But the story is very weak and Corrin is such a idiot/pushover in that route.

Birthright may be too similar to Awakening in terms of its playable yet casual gameplay, but the story is better, the soundtrack is good, the better ending and proves that you need a good story doesn't need to be as complex as possible.

Conquest easily.

I found myself unable to even complete BR just because of how bland the gameplay was. I still haven't completed it. Conquest hit all the right marks. Combined with music and characters that I preferred, it is an easy win.

In regards to story, all three games suffer from it to varying extents. With CQ, it's easy to block out the story with the challenge; BR had no such outlet. I was forced to focus on something and the story happened to be it. Lo and behold, it's a story I've heard about a million times before. Great.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

No best route.

For me:

Birthright for Japan.

Conquest for superb gameplay.

Revelations for the questionable, but arguably fun gimmicks.

You will find that Conquest will win in popularity in this forum, easily. Because of the demographic of this forum.

Outside, Birthright.

Voted Conquest, though.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Conquest. It was nice to have some map variety, especially a challenging defense mission. It also has some of the most fun characters to use in Fates (Charlotte, Benny, Nyx, Laslow, Beruka.......), in my opinion.

Conquest, hands down. It has better map design and more interesting fights, and actually does interesting things with skills. Also, while Conquest's story is atrocious, I did enjoy it in a very sick sense, and it had my attention, inspiring rage and bemusement within me. Birthright's story was just generic and bland when it wasn't equally stupid. All in all, in every sense i had more fun with Conquest.

I'm surprised at how many people are voting Conquest. I kept seeing people here hate on it before because of the story and stuff.

But anyway, I haven't played Conquest and I don't intend to because I have no interest in it, so Birthright is my vote. It has a decent story, okay gameplay, and awesome characters. Conquest doesn't have anything appealing to me except for some gameplay elements, and that's not enough for me to get interested in it.

I'm surprised at how many people are voting Conquest. I kept seeing people here hate on it before because of the story and stuff.

Conquest's story is crap. Very few here will like it for that.

But the game play elements and difficulty are so praiseworthy to veteran players that it was a breath of fresh air. It is literally the kind of gameplay that a section of the community has wanted for so long.

It is that good, why people like it more. Even on normal classic it gives you a huge amount of insight into what you need to improve on in FE strategy.

It's the kind of wall people revel in overcoming.

The kind of nostalgia with old FE games that either:

A. I overcame it, this is the best!

B. (Puts 3ds down) Screw this, I'm eating cake.

Edited by shadowofchaos

B. (Puts 3ds down) Screw this, I'm eating cake.

This. I don't know why exactly, but I like it a lot when the game makes me so frustrated that I don't want to play it for a week.

CQ chapter 10 is a beautiful chapter. On normal even, it's pretty satisfying. But on hard, I actually got stuck. Tried it a few times, my strategy getting better each time, until I got far enough to realize that on hard Oboro and Hinata move. I got so mad, I put the game down for an entire month, picked it back up, started an entirely new file, and I'm way past that point now. But the sense of victory after clearing that particular chapter - that's the moment I live for.

That chapter actually made me appreciate defense chapters a bit more. In the past, I hated them because they were so easy that I was upset the chapter was limited to x amount of turns, effectively keeping me from enjoying it at my own pace - whatever I wanted to do. CQ ch 10 made every turn so worth it. It was a rush like no other - and while it's one of the better chapters in the game, it's not the only one that's pretty good.

Ch 10 is one of my all time favorite stages, along with Collapse of the Alliance and Port Warren. It's just that good /gush.

Also, different strokes for different folks, but story is the least important part for me. After the first playthrough (and there are always many, many more), the start button gets worn out from all the skipping. Doesn't matter what FE game it is, I know what happens already so now it's time to sort of make my own headcannons or just enjoy the gameplay.

Once you stop reading and start playing, CQ is one of the best games in the series.

This is a really hard choice to make, but I'm going to have to pick Conquest.

Even if Birthright is a great game, its still pretty boring in comparison to Conquest. The story is generic and the maps are really easy, and it doesn't have the same replay ability that Conquest has.

• 2 weeks later...

There really is no best route, at least, in my opinion. It all depends on what you're attached to.

If you're a fan of Awakening's system, especially the grinding, then Birthright is definitely for you. Some people also like to recommend newcomers of the series to try Birthright first as a crash course of how the games work.

If you're a fan of the older Fire Emblem games, like the variety of victory conditions, or just want a good challenge in general, Conquest is recommended.

Although, I definitely like Conquest the best. It arguably has the best development and storytelling or writing of all three routes. (Note: best does not mean compelling and good.) While the characters may seem weird or even out-of-place sometimes, you can't argue that a fair amount of them really shine in supports, especially the Nohr Royals. While I can't 100% speak for the next reason myself, but I do see a lot of people agreeing to it, Conquest is deemed to have some of the best gameplay in the series.

That is true for sure seeing as both sides can get the shaft depending on who you are attached to

Birthright has shit maps but a less shit story

Conquest has solid maps but a shit story

Revelations has the worst maps in FE history and a shit story

Pick your poison

really if you wanted the same challenge Conquest provides just play FE 5 or 12 seeing as how both have better map design without having to rely on shitty gimmicks like the windtribe or the Kataro maps. Thracia has more nuanced mechanics then Conquest and New Mystery, whereas FE 12 has the best difficulty curve in the series and is more simple than both while still having superb map design and enemy placement. All 3 games suffer from balance issues but all FE games are imbalanced so it shouldn't count against any of them.

Edited by Valkarian

• 2 weeks later...

You will find that Conquest will win in popularity in this forum, easily. Because of the demographic of this forum.

Outside, Birthright.

May I ask which community you're referring to? I've been on Reddit, lurked GFaqs and 4chan now and then and the Conquest/Birthright ratio is always like 7:3. If the Japan polls are any indication, the Japanese players seem to favor Nohr characters more than the Hoshido ones as well.

As for myself, Conquest easily. I'm the rare kind of people that likes Conquest's story. I greatly enjoy the gameplay and the characters, especially the Nohr siblings. Their dynamics with each other are fantastic. I also prefer the Celtic influenced soundtracks to the Japanese ones. Birthright is alright I guess. The gameplay is too easy for my taste, and ironically the only time I care about the story is when the Nohr guys show up. Hoshido does contain some characters I like though, like Saizo, Sakura, Orochi and Azama.

I know it's not on the poll, but my least favorite route has to be Revelation.

People IRL, forums not catered to Fire Emblem.

As in, casuals that aren't particularly active in forums dedicated towards FE.

Reddit, GFaqs, and 4chan are pretty much the same gamer demographic as here.

Edited by shadowofchaos