If you could change something in the game, what would it be and why?

Chromagna

As the title suggests, if you could make one change or addition to any part of the 3 games, what would your change/addition be?

Personally, I would re-balance and add some combat stuff. The iron weapons outclass the steel weapons in my opinion and that bothers me heaps. I pay more for the steel weapons only to be doubled more easily and for me to not double enemies easily. I think the buffs and debuffs should be kept till later in post-game/end-game because that is when making the weapon decisions actually matter. It means that the effective jump up when you reach a certain point is halted because your units suddenly can't effectively rely on their stats to carry them through and more on their weapons. It just alters the overall smoothness of the game. I would like to add more regalia to the game and even add the longbow as I feel it would be a nice edition.

Skills like warp and replicate seem a bit game breaking and limit choice when creating units as you either give your units these skills or work to counter them. These need a bit of a tweak but I am unsure how they could work around it.

So what would your change/addition be?

Edited by Chromagna

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title suggests, if you could make one change or addition to any of the 3 games, what would your change/addition be?

Personally, I would re-balance some of the weapons. I sometimes take iron weapons over silver because I have a better chance to double the opponent. This doesn't seem right when silver costs more.

I guess you mean the steel ones. Silver double just like iron ones. However, regardless of weapon cost, in this game any weapon has pros and cons to be used, and you should get the best one for every character. Fast characters (who are usually weaker, except Hana and Effie) could benefit more from steel, while slow ones (who are ususally stronger) should rely on iron.

probably the story in revelations. it was a nice set up until after chapter 18, where it was stretched out to last another 9 chapters of long text and corrin being super gullible.

Having a consistent Corrin in all three routes would be good as well. We have Rage Corrin in BR, Mr. OK-Guy Corrin in CQ and yet another personality in RV. He is supposed to be the same person all along, so I'd expect him to be more rebellious in CQ (he feels the same dragon blood that he has is BR, and he wields the Yato, which would make Garon to freak out a bit, not feeling invincible anymore) and less merciless in BR (he was brought up in Nohr after all, he knows too well of the sufferings there).

Too much to talk about for story so I'll just say that I wish characters had more unique color pallets. It seems a silly thing to say it reduces my enjoyment but I prefer to use the class that carries over the character's colors. I'm sure Harold makes a nice Berserker but I only make him a Hero because he looks so much better.

Having a consistent Corrin in all three routes would be good as well. We have Rage Corrin in BR, Mr. OK-Guy Corrin in CQ and yet another personality in RV. He is supposed to be the same person all along, so I'd expect him to be more rebellious in CQ (he feels the same dragon blood that he has is BR, and he wields the Yato, which would make Garon to freak out a bit, not feeling invincible anymore) and less merciless in BR (he was brought up in Nohr after all, he knows too well of the sufferings there).

Conquest!Kamui suffers from this the most, because he acts like all the bad stuff "can't be helped" when we have two other routes that show he CAN be doing something better.

I'd have Garon change so he's more in line with...well, Garon. Its weird how they wrote a pretty interesting character in him, then tossed that character aside to focus on him just twirling that evil mustache of his.

That would be a win for everyone. Garon would be a better villain, Xander a better Camus, Corrin would come off smarter in conquest, Norh as a whole would be more interesting and Hoshido would get less complaints about being goody two-shoes.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Not making Takumi such a strawman. Conquest's idiocy would be far easier to digest if the only person who doesn't adore Corrin came across like he was meant to have a point for being pissed at the guy who was siding with the friendly fellow who murdered their father and mother, sends undead monstrosities to butcher Hoshido's population and started an all-out war once he had the chance. Or even better, replace Takumi with Hinoka altogether.

Edited by BrightBow

One word. Azama. Honestly, this guy is a jerk. I was originally planning to use him a lot more than I ended up doing, but then I got his C support with Hinoka, and it made me not want to use him. He's still my lowest levelled character, even though I am trying to use him a little more- but just so I can get Mitama.

I'd have Garon change so he's more in line with...well, Garon. Its weird how they wrote a pretty interesting character in him, then tossed that character aside to focus on him just twirling that evil mustache of his.

That would be a win for everyone. Garon would be a better villain, Xander a better Camus, Corrin would come off smarter in conquest, Nohr as a whole would be more interesting and Hoshido would get less complaints about being goody two-shoes.

I haven't played Conquest, but I like that idea.

1) I would re-write Conquest all together. Probably something along the lines of the big bad realizing that Corrin is a better proxy than Garon and moving Garon out of the picture early. Corrin goes full evil and true conquest ensues. That or I would just get rid of Conquest all together because its stupid. Move the wonderful maps to BR and/or Revelation.

2) Revelation would be a sequel story to Birthright not an alternate path. It would take place approximately 20 years after the events of BR or CQ. The characters will have aged from the late-teens, early 20s to the late 30s- early 40s.

3) I would rework the weapon system. Having higher level weapons have drawbacks is a nice idea until you realize forging Iron eliminates the need to bother with Steel, Silver and better weapons with drawbacks.

4) Hidden Truths would be integrated into the narrative. Perhaps as a transition between the initial paths and a Revelation sequel arc. The characters of Hidden Truths would not act like idiots upon encountering Corrin in the story. Especially Birthright.

5) I would make Dragonstones a ranged weapon like in Awakening. I would also change Corrin and Kana's dragon model to look more like you know who.

6) Corrin would not be able to romance any of his adopted or 'blood' siblings. His 'blood' siblings would actually be his blood relatives even if only cousins.

7) The kids would not be born until the Revelation sequel path, where they would have grown up in the interregnum between BR/CQ and Revelation.

8) I would not nerf so many of Awakening's weapons and skills while simultaneously allowing stuff like Warp, Replicate, Death Blow, and Point Blank to exist.

Edited by kcirrot

I second the development of Garon as an antagonist.

I still remember how let down I felt after seeing how much of Garon's backstory was on the wiki before I got the game thinking we'd see development, flashbacks, etc on him back when he was good-guy-Garon who loved his kids of many wives, and witness his descent. Instead, we just get told that he changed over time/posessed, and is doomed to be a super obvious cartoon villain twirling his evil mustache with no depth at face value. The side effect is a sort of disconnect with how the player feels about Garon and how nohrian scum do (Corrin especially). With how much they felt the need to establish how big of a jerk Garon is before CH6, we lost a big chance at establishing why Xander, and Corrin especially give Super-Obvious-Bad-Guy the benefit of the doubt (other than not being executed). For all birthright and conquest, and much of revelations, we're only beat over the head about how much of a jerk he is to the point that there seems to be nothing interesting in him as a character besides being obviously evil.

I also second improving Revelations post chapter 18. Writing gets weaker, and characters get dumber.

8) I would not nerf so many of Awakening's weapons and skills while simultaneously allowing stuff like Warp, Replicate, Death Blow, and Point Blank to exist.

Don't forget shurikens being immune to the wave of nerfs, being the only other weapon category that can trigger offensive skills at a range of 1-2 aside from tomes.

Edited by maninbluejumpsuit

I'd fix the child unit explanation., because sending off children into a hole doesn't solve anything. Maybe if they were written into the story, they would be better, but whatever.

Also, anybody else think it's wrong for Selena/Odin/Laslow to marry other Fates characters? I don't see too bad of a problem, but in the end, don't they return to Ylisses? Do they leave their children? How do their Awakening parents/marriage partner react to them having a child in another world?

I'd fix the child unit explanation., because sending off children into a hole doesn't solve anything. Maybe if they were written into the story, they would be better, but whatever.

Also, anybody else think it's wrong for Selena/Odin/Laslow to marry other Fates characters? I don't see too bad of a problem, but in the end, don't they return to Ylisses? Do they leave their children? How do their Awakening parents/marriage partner react to them having a child in another world?

The endings is up to your imagination some said that they return to Ylisses with their partner In case of Odin and Laslow, but In Selena case i think she stay with her husband and have normal life(low profile),something like Saizo ending(he disappeared from the records and still serve Ryoma).

There's explanations for it in their endings. I don't think Owain, Severa, or Inigo are married to anyone from awakening cast by the time they come to the world of fates in actual canon.

The materialization of child units midway through each of the 3 routes, and their reasons for joining the army is nonsensical to say the least. At least in awakening I could buy it, and their reasons for joining Chrom's crew. Alot of kids in fates join/get drafted on a whim to fight a war they seem barely informed of (because I guess they couldn't be arsed to write unique dialogue depending on what route they were recruited in...?).

Edited by maninbluejumpsuit

No waifu, no sexist armors (both male and females ones).
1 max 2 support conversations for characters.
No forced love stories, no childs.

Completely rewrite all the 3 stories,

[spoiler=Something that doesn't happen in Birthright]I'm disappointed that Takumi does not eventually turn into a dragon that you need to fight.
NOPE it's all Iago giving him a headache... and then we have a scene later in the game that really makes zero sense. Chapter 10 Azura needs to sing to him. HOW DO YOU FIX CRAZY DRAGONS? SHE DID SING CORRIN A WHILE AGO.

Wrote a Reddit page about it.

I'm very mad it doesn't happen. I am like, LIVID. I thought it was so damn obvious it was going to happen; the "clues" in chapters wre me think oh crap, but no... instead they be boring...

Not gonna mention story because its been repeated into oblivion.

I'd limit supports, give supports to Corrinsexuals and make the Bond Unit system into the Child system.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I'd balance out the weapons so that you could legitmately use all characters and not turn any 'no Takumi / Leo / Xander / Ryoma' run into a more or less pointless challenge. For example: why can't I crit with a Kodachi? The doubling thing, I can understand, because you can only throw a weapon once. But why no crits?

Also, any of the Silver weapons as well as Beaststone+ and Dragonstone+ are pretty much useless because of their stupid stat-lowering gimmick. I'd abolish that and make them one or two points weaker.

And then there's the overpowered shurikens / daggers. Don't even get me started on those. I mean, they don't deal much damage, but that debuff thing has already caused me a reset or three.

The new weapon system is perhaps my biggest gripe with the game. I like that you don't have to worry about rare weapons breaking anymore, but couldn't they make it so that you'd actually WANT to use rare weapons? The only good endgame weapons I found so far are: the Yato, the royal's unique weapons and any of the 'Venge' weapons. I don't know what things are like in Conquest, but in Birthright, the problem is already very apparent.

Still love the game, though.

1. Story/writing. Given.
2. Remove child unit system and Awakening clones. Should've stayed in Awakening.
3. Add more avatar design options. Diversity, please.
4. Hmm arguably bring back weapon durability. It's true that it discourages using legendary weapons, but I think that can be solvable; maybe give a way longer number of uses? I've also read people saying they're solely an inventory management pain and nothing more--but I think that's the point. I like having to be careful with my resources, makes me think even more how to go about the battle. On that topic, kind of wondering at the thought of bringing back exp bonus too, from PoR and RD. Might make game easier, but I like that its point was being picky over which units to give exp to.

-The children's placing in general. Awakening's made sense, but it's so forced in Fates. I honestly didn't think that children were going to be introduce because, what else can you do aside a timeskip portion? Lo and behold, I get a child, and the explanation is one the most forced things that I ever read. I wouldn't mind a timeskip like how FE4 worked from what I've heard, but that take a while since new art, designs, etc. would have to be made, I wouldn't mind the wait though. I'm not one of those people who just want the system gone cause of the old trending saying that marriage made the series too focused on that, but in Fates' case, it feels like it doesn't belong or at least should have been fleshed out more.

-More customization. Like I've seen on other threads, having the Avatar have different personalities in their dialogue would be fun. I'd love to have a shy Male Corrin or a tomboy Female Corrin. Giving then different personal skills based on that would work too.

-Supports. I honestly don't mind if the Avatar can support everyone. Limiting a personal unit's interaction with the whole cast just seems more restrictive imo. It does make sense with other units to least have like, 7 or 8 supports? 4 with a friend and 4 with a partner? And NO MORE AVATARSEXUALS PLZ!

-Revamp Kana all around. I like Kana, I like her design, but her personality and usage as a unit are very meh. For her as as unit, having similar base growth rates of the avatar, but with the avatar's bane being her best growth and the avatar's boon stat be her worse growth will make her more custom while giving her a good perk, which she don't have excluding the perks that she gets from her mother. She also seems to be just be... there. She doesn't seem to have a goal or a unique perk other than being a clingy child.

-The younger Royals have female kids.

-Give Azura and/or the eldest female siblings some unique weapon. I'm tired of Sausage Emblem giving all the cool shit to the dudes. >.<

-Have the Royals' children be able to use their unique weapons. It would make sense and if you're a purest and don't restart the game when you lose a unit, you won't have a good weapon just sitting in the convoy.

-Have weakened stats heal faster.

-Fix up the silver weapons' penalty so that instead of losing str/skl each time you attack, you only lose it once and it stays like that similar to weakened.

All and all that is. Everything else can be worked on, but not as much as this stuff.

Edited by SageHarpuiaJDJ

I don't ask for much, but if possible, I would change... THE BACKGROUND FROM THE SUPPORTS!

I hate how in some supports, characters are talking about the beautiful forest around them like Kiragi and Forrest... And all you look is the godamn wall from a room? Or what about Niles and Belka visiting the grave of their mothers... in the same castle room? Elise recolecting flowers with Ryoma in the middle of said room?

And I think these examples are enough :S.

Yes that is why I would like to change: different backgrounds based in the supports! The room is fine for like example... Oboro support with Takumi since they could be talking inside the room, but for Kiragi hunting with Shiro? Change the background to a forest at least! The game have different backgrounds that we can see in the story, why don't reuse them for the supports too?

Change Dwyer's personal skill... extra hit/avoid +2 dmagae dealt and -2 damage taken is nice... but it's only when you are fighting in the castle. Seriously? there are only two or three castle invasions in conquest and one of them happens before you even get jakob if you have a male avatar. Seriously it's the most useless skill to have imo.

No 2ed gens or at the very least a better explanation that both makes more sense and doesn't turn the characters into the worst parents ever

Not to mention instant underage pregnancies. That shit's really creepy; at least in Awakening it was clear that it came from a future relationship, so it's not like Miriel jumped Ricken when he was like 10 and forced him to become a father.