QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pros: No more brief downtime in the mornings when I first come online, security stuff, the twitter-esque banner things are kinda cool

Cons: Plaintext editor is gone, editing spoilers is now a pain, don't really like how it autoconverts Youtube links to embeds

7 hours ago, Jyosua said:

I am annoyed at how many administration options are gone or hidden.

Other than that, I think we can get it pretty close to how it used to work.

I have serious concerns about the loss of important search features that will require editing the hardcoded PHP files to get back to the working standards.

There are things I like and things I don't. The search feature is one of the things I don't. Worst of any software I've seen, including older versions of IPB.

don't mind it tbh! I know Jyosua's fixing all the issues that are still around and ignoring those, the forum's got neat new features to it and ip chat is finally gonna get replaced by something massively superior (of course I guess that has nothing to do with the actual update~)

Edited by Freohr Datia

8 minutes ago, Freohr Datia said:

@Makazeeither you misread his post or you're taunting him

and I think the file size of your new signature is reinforcing his point ^o^

But it was Tonton approved!

(Seriously though, optimized, lot smaller now.)

7 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Pros: No more brief downtime in the mornings when I first come online, security stuff, the twitter-esque banner things are kinda cool

Cons: Plaintext editor is gone, editing spoilers is now a pain, don't really like how it autoconverts Youtube links to embeds

Downtime was probably due to backups. I switched to another solution and while I did notice some slowness, I was able to actually access the site during that time.

5 hours ago, Makaze said:

I have serious concerns about the loss of important search features that will require editing the hardcoded PHP files to get back to the working standards.

There are things I like and things I don't. The search feature is one of the things I don't. Worst of any software I've seen, including older versions of IPB.

What type of search did you want again?

5 hours ago, Freohr Datia said:

don't mind it tbh! I know Jyosua's fixing all the issues that are still around and ignoring those, the forum's got neat new features to it and ip chat is finally gonna get replaced by something massively superior (of course I guess that has nothing to do with the actual update~)

IP Chat being replaced is a combination of IPS discontinuing the service and both IPS4 and Discord having very useable integration and APIs. It probably wouldn't have happened without the forum upgrade, to be quite honest. IPB3 and below was the biggest mess of spaghetti code you can't even imagine.

7 minutes ago, Jyosua said:

IP Chat being replaced is a combination of IPS discontinuing the service and both IPS4 and Discord having very useable integration and APIs. It probably wouldn't have happened without the forum upgrade, to be quite honest. IPB3 and below was the biggest mess of spaghetti code you can't even imagine.

oh ok, then thanks update!!

It initially took getting used to, but it mostly works. I'm sure it'll probably be more functional as time goes on, but it's not like we have to communicate via morse code by clapping two halves of a coconut shell together!

1 hour ago, Jyosua said:

Downtime was probably due to backups. I switched to another solution and while I did notice some slowness, I was able to actually access the site during that time.

What type of search did you want again?

1. All posts by a user in a thread, including image only posts (i.e. no search term required). Currently search terms are required for all searches.
  2. Full post results in searches, including styling and linebreaks. Currently only 200 or so character raw text snippets are included. Images posts appear empty on search results and the Unread Content page.

I'm sure this will go like every other forum upgrade we've had. A bunch of people will piss and moan about how the old software was better until they get used to it and then the same thing will happen after the next upgrade.

I'm not fond of how avatars are shrinked, regardless of what size they originally were. Reminds me of KHInsider, where it gets larger after every post count milestone.

Additionally, the loss of "first unread post". It'd have saved me a lot of scrolling

10 minutes ago, Motendra said:

Additionally, the loss of "first unread post". It'd have saved me a lot of scrolling

for me that button is still there, though it's been kinda wonky and brought me to a completely different page at times (though I don't think it has been recently for me?? so maybe it got fixed by now)

Edited by Freohr Datia

49 minutes ago, Ϲharlie said:

I'm sure this will go like every other forum upgrade we've had. A bunch of people will piss and moan about how the old software was better until they get used to it and then the same thing will happen after the next upgrade.

Amazing how accurate this is.

12 hours ago, Integrity said:

this is the first time in my mod career i've been able to talk at him daily and you don't even know my dude lmao

yeah, i'm only familiar with creating websites w/javascript and maintaining them; i've never had to work on anything with a server (or at least, a large scale server) before, so i can only imagine haha

Edited by Refa

2 hours ago, Refa said:

yeah, i'm only familiar with creating websites w/javascript and maintaining them; i've never had to work on anything with a server (or at least, a large scale server) before, so i can only imagine haha

Have to start somewhere. Hell, I started learning web stuff with the basics; HTML and CSS, then eventually PHP and JavaScript. The only reason I got into server stuff was because of Ragnarok Online servers and this site. These are big reasons why I ended up working as a Software Developer for my main job.

>was eh with it at first
>layout looks plenty modern
>my randimg is broken
>wiped friend lists, which i'm okay with
>i liked the old banner more but w/e
>it was important so no reason to get upset about it
>sucks that posting breaks half of the time for me. it takes a while for a post to go through and when it does, often the reply box thinks i DIDN'T submit the post and has the post saved right there for me. minor inconvenience
>i don't like this new form of line spacing because i'm a casual.

QOTD 1118 - Ever been in a long distance relationship? What were the results?