QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes its important. Otherwise, its hard to slip into their shoes so to speak. The reader/viewer wont be able to connect or see anything of themselves in the protagonist, thus creating a terrible disconnect to them and the story as a whole. The reader/viewer will begin to not care what happens to that protagonist and lose interest in the story altogether. (hence why you have people wanting more representation of different kinds of people/characters in stories these days.) 

Definitely not.  You have more freedom w/other characters than you do w/the protagonist because your enjoyment of the plot isn't as attached to them.

33 minutes ago, fuccboi said:

To both questions not necessarily, it just depends on what they're trying to do with the story

i wouldn't call many of the main characters in breaking bad likeable or relatable but they don't need to be

yeah, this is definitely true.  i just find that a good deal, if not a majority, of media features protagonists that you're supposed to root for.  for me at least, doing that is easier if i can relate to them (that's less of a rule and more of a guide line).  if you're not supposed to root for them, then you have a lot more freedom in terms of how relateable they should/shouldn't be.  just my two cents, though, i might have overlooked something.

Edited by Refa

Nah, but there should be someone to sympathize with. Even if they arent likeable, they should be sympathetic in some fashion. Otherwise, whats the point? When NO ONE is sympathetic, the reader or viewer loses interest or even motivation to continue the story. Also, sympathetic =/= likeable. 

no, but only because i don't know enough things to come up with one right now

there's probably something i know where I would say that but it's not something I like enough to remember off the top of my head

The villain from Tales of Berseria theoretically has better motivations than Velvet, who is driven only by vengeance.

The things Artorius does to reach his goals are terrible, though. That said, the same can be said about Velvet, but in the end the game still manages to make the protagonist's side right, even if for most of the game you feel like the bad guys,

if only because the trade off to reach Artorius's noble goal is as awful as it can get

Edited by Nobody

Sasuke Uchiha

I don't really think so. Maybe I'm just not thinking about all the shows I've watched.........................

Spoiler

Well............ there is Garcia Flynn from timeless, but not too many people like that show anyway (and I stopped watching it cause it got a little boring) heh

Who is the villain of death note, Light or L? I wouldn't consider L to be the villain, and even if you consider Light the villain, he's also the protagonist. 

IMO this answer would make sence if L was the protagonist and Light the villain, but Light is the clear protagonist of it

i mean, L dies halfway through it

and i can't see L as a villain (and i think Light has a better motivation even if his mothods are bad, but w/e that's my opinion)

Edited by Nobody

1 hour ago, Freohr Datia said:

@Nobody I'm answering labeling L as the villain, since Light is the protagonist which makes L the antagonist

and I'm assuming Ebony was answering similarly \o/

yeah essentially this