QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Sigismund of Luxemburg said:

How do you make a book "properly musty"?

Pretty much anything printed in about 1930 or earlier will do. Check your local library's catalog for pretty much any  early 20th century reprint of some minor edwardian work - evelyn waugh or Munro will do- Otherwise look for a volume on philosophy by someone who isn't Plato/Nietsche/Lao Ze (those will be modern reprints due to their popularity) - I think Kant  and Spinoza work pretty well in this regard. 

If all else fails look for books published by Viking Press or Dr. Eliot's Five Foot shelf (a mandatory staple of every bookshop in America). If you don't think the library is worth it, I'm sure there's a book that falling apart and beautifully smelling in your basement or attic.

In doing research papers, I've checked out dozens of books, some quite musty. Although my future potential career may involve a lot of them, I do wish I had a surgical mask if it helped deal with the odor. Also, a pair of thin gloves for books with sharp edges on their pages, just to avoid paper cuts which I have never experienced, but think may happen so day.

It's kind of a nostalgic smell for me. Reminds me of spending time at my grandmother's old house when I was a kid. So, yeah, I guess, though it can be a bit overpowering depending on the book and its age.