QOTD ♚♛ 1522 - Movies you don't see the appeal of?

Chen

very very rarely

from what I hear, majority of shy people don't like crowds and prefer being around smaller amounts of people so they can become familiar with them and not feel overwhelmed

but I absolutely can't relate to that at all. I'm shy in the way that I prefer being in bigger audiences, because then attention is drawn away from me and I can generally just sit quietly and listen to people. With a smaller group, there's more responsibility on me to hold up conversation and it's more noticeable when I don't and I can't handle that pressure. I'm too shy and anxious and too slow of a thinker (and therefore easily confused as well~) and have sort of bad hearing (idk how much that has to do with my brain being a slow processor and how much of it has to do with my ears) to be able to hold up a normal conversation

I'm better at keeping up conversation with one person through text, but I still can't help but shy away from such a thing and I definitely don't know how to initiate conversation with somebody. I tend to have unhelpful thoughts like "they probably wouldn't appreciate me butting in on their time unannounced" or "this will just be so out of nowhere they'll think I'm weird" or "what's the point of starting conversation that I wouldn't be able to keep up with anyway" or "I'm not important enough to this person to ask them to give special time and attention to me"

I wonder if preferring crowds vs not liking crowds is a difference between anxiety and just plain shyness or something

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excluding family, not a whole lot. 

I generally don't like talking to people, especially one on one because I become highly nervous.

Not like big crowds are any better though, I feel so awkward and just remain silent most of the time.

With my close friends, every now and again, fairly often with my best friend, sometimes with my younger sister, and sometimes with people who I don't actually know all that well, but can tell that they're also in the frame of mind for a long convo.

online is different though, because it's a lot harder to tell what someone thinks of you, if they wanna talk, if you're imposing, etc., and it's just generally harder to start a convo with someone when you can't read them like you can irl

...basically, I somehow have worse social skills online than irl

in the past, hardly ever but nowadays i find myself engaging in intimate conversation more often than i would like

im still super nervous, especially if i dont know the person well

when it comes to certain people, like family, i dont mind

On 4/17/2018 at 6:26 AM, Freohr Datia said:

very very rarely

from what I hear, majority of shy people don't like crowds and prefer being around smaller amounts of people so they can become familiar with them and not feel overwhelmed

but I absolutely can't relate to that at all. I'm shy in the way that I prefer being in bigger audiences, because then attention is drawn away from me and I can generally just sit quietly and listen to people. With a smaller group, there's more responsibility on me to hold up conversation and it's more noticeable when I don't and I can't handle that pressure. I'm too shy and anxious and too slow of a thinker (and therefore easily confused as well~) and have sort of bad hearing (idk how much that has to do with my brain being a slow processor and how much of it has to do with my ears) to be able to hold up a normal conversation

I'm better at keeping up conversation with one person through text, but I still can't help but shy away from such a thing and I definitely don't know how to initiate conversation with somebody. I tend to have unhelpful thoughts like "they probably wouldn't appreciate me butting in on their time unannounced" or "this will just be so out of nowhere they'll think I'm weird" or "what's the point of starting conversation that I wouldn't be able to keep up with anyway" or "I'm not important enough to this person to ask them to give special time and attention to me"

I wonder if preferring crowds vs not liking crowds is a difference between anxiety and just plain shyness or something

This post speaks to my soul.  This is so me.

All the time, I have a very large social circle and I have no problems conversing at lengths, even with strangers. For whatever reason, I tend to have an easier time talking with women.

Was going to say Objectivism, but even that's not as bad as Anarcho-Primitivism, which basically states that we must abandon agriculture to save the environment, everyone who would die be damned. It's one of those ideologies where it's chief proponents would be the first to be tiger food if it were enacted.

Epistemology is just the worst kind of mental masturbation. 

Q: "What are you doing?"

A: "I'm thinking about thinking. How do I know that I am thinking? Can we be certain that there is such a thing as thought?" 

...fuck-off immediately ...

Edited by Shoblongoo

I don't know anything about philosophy.

2 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Epistemology is just the worst kind of mental masturbation. 

Q: "What are you doing?"

A: "I'm thinking about thinking. How do I know that I am thinking? Can we be certain that there is such a thing as thought?" 

...fuck-off immediately ...

That... Was painful to read.  I agree, yuck.  :P: