Debating investing into Cipher

Vanin07

So my cousin and I have been into FE since Blazing Sword, and I'm thinking about getting a few Cipher starter decks. Specifically, Awakening, either Fates, or Radiant.

My hesitation stems from gameplay. I'm not sure if I want to have a stack of translation sheets while I play. I'm afraid it'll be boring to play and just sit on my shelves like my Magic decks.

The art is gorgeous though, so I'm tempted simply for collecting pretty pictures. So any recommendations or warnings?

Edited by Vanin07

Plenty of people buy cipher just for the art so if you like it, go for it. As for playing, eventually you'll remember what every card does and won't need to reference the translations. There's an established formula/archetypes of cards that makes it so there's less to remember. In terms of fun, I started playing more than half a year ago and still find it interesting - granted I mostly play on Lackey where everything is accessible and you can experiment without killing your wallet. With physical copies you may find yourself getting bored of the same decks.

So I guess my recommendation is to just try the game out on Lackey and see if you like it, then decide if it's worth buying :P

me and my friend play cipher and we have a binder with all the translations and we use it so much that we memorized most of the translations. its worth it and even if you dont play the artwork is sweet. dual art takumi and leo looks sweet!

Thanks for all the replies! It seems like a niche game but with an enthusiastic fan base. Much like the FE games themselves. I think I'll start with a few starter decks and play online to get the hang of things

You don't like Magic? Why not?

Its just personal preference. I'm not invested in the IP. But I've been into FE for a long time so I can get attached to characters much easier than Magic.

Its just personal preference. I'm not invested in the IP. But I've been into FE for a long time so I can get attached to characters much easier than Magic.

Okay, cool. If you're more invested in FE, than I can imagine that you'd enjoy it more as a result. The only issue is whether or not you're bothered by not having that many people to play it with.

You can sleeve a card, write/type out the effect in English, and then play using that. You should still be able to see most of the art, and you won't have to constantly flip back and forth between a translation.