Weak Archer's Very First Sprite Thread

TheGreatNothing

This my is my gallery and I'll post here from time to time.I hope you like it!

THE FIRST SPRITES I can't find png versions on my computer

NVhMPPt.jpg A young prince guy.

FYVzYEu.jpg A Healer.
7DNguVM.jpg Made to look like my avatar in Awakening, Ron!

A SPRITELESS MONTH LATER... All Names are placeholders

7giiJLh.png A revised version of my first prince. 13- ish in age.Kain
MTLl9dP.png A manakete Issac

kEWPnXS.pngSzXyPuh.pngkeC0TJH.pngAn older version of Kain. Now 19.

AnwpvqR.png A red mage.... I hate this one Billbob

f4FO2Bq.png A myrmidon. I like this one..Lina

oDgtJUa.png A taller version of the above.Lina

KwqD2tP.png a thief. Lisa

uEuMql5.png a battle sprite of Kain

.u8JhEo1.png A disguise sprite for Kain.

FXee1IR.png Kain's younger brother, Ben.

Kain's battle sprite very WIP.

1GuUAB5.png

EJrG09S.png

Recolor of alm from gaiden.

I'm happy you survived! You need permission for you to use any of these sprites.

Edited by ThatOneWeakArcher
new sprite

I like the revamped prince one, age 19. He looks really good.

sweet stuff man

Thank you for the feedback I've been given so far!

Does anyone know how to remove the "fuzz" in the image?

I'm using ms paint.

Your Myrmidon and Older Prince are freakin' amazing.

I mean, I never liked Klein original colors. And with red and blue he looks so much better.

As for the "fuss", sorry I don't know either...

Edited by Ycine

Your Myrmidon and Older Prince are freakin' amazing.

I mean, I never liked Klein original colors. And with red and blue he looks so much better.

As for the "fuss", sorry I don't know either...

It only happens when I post it. Thank you for the feedback!

While the older prince's coloring is quite nice, despite just being a color edit of Klein's armor, it works really well. Only thing is that he goes from mage type robes to typical archer armor, and the eye colors in the portraits are different, minor details, but eh.

I'm trying, it is not working. Is it because they are all jpg?

yes, if your filetype is a jpg then your image extension for its url should be .jpg

but if you are working with sprites you should not be using .jpg :V

yes, if your filetype is a jpg then your image extension for its url should be .jpg

but if you are working with sprites you should not be using .jpg :V

I put it as jpg like this [img]IMAGEURL.jpg[/img].

Why not?

JPEG adds dithering to the image, which is random pixels. That isn't so good for sprites because we work with such small spaces that literally every pixel counts. Png for still images, or Gif for animations are the preferred file formats for that reason.

I put it as jpg like this [img]IMAGEURL.jpg[/img].

That should work, yes

Why not?

Allow me to show you with a spritesheet.

This one, which is a recolor from a GBC game:

OeRPAaW.png

As you can see, you can see each pixel is clearly defined with no aliasing (blending) against the background orange.

Let's jpg it.

zccbL99.jpg

You can see that there're color differences between this and the previous image, right? They're not too noticible, though.

And jpg is a superior compression format*, so we're saving disk space**!

Let's change the color of the background to pink-- orange is too flamboyant or whatever.

zxUy2ZR.png

While editing the png's background to pink was just a few clicks (select background color, select new foreground color, ctrl+a, ctrl+x, ctrl+v, turn on transparent color2), the jpg is not so.

This is because the jpg is not aliased against the background, which is because it uses a compression format ideal for pictures to save space.

Additionally, the jpg will have color corruptions-- just like it does for the background-- for your actual graphics. That makes it completely useless for recoloring, for putting together with another spritesheet... for really anything besides just looking at it (and the color corruption means that it's harder to see).

*not for sprites, it actually takes more data-- the png is 2.7kb and the jpg is 11.1kb :3

**sprites take up such little disk space that if this is a legitimate concern of yours I think you have bigger issues

Edited by Eliwan

That should work, yesAllow me to show you with a spritesheet.This one, which is a recolor from a GBC game:OeRPAaW.pngAs you can see, you can see each pixel is clearly defined with no aliasing (blending) against the background orange.Let's jpg it.zccbL99.jpgYou can see that there're color differences between this and the previous image, right? They're not too noticible, though.And jpg is a superior compression format*, so we're saving disk space**!Let's change the color of the background to pink-- orange is too flamboyant or whatever.zxUy2ZR.pngWhile editing the png's background to pink was just a few clicks (select background color, select new foreground color, ctrl+a, ctrl+x, ctrl+v, turn on transparent color2), the jpg is not so.This is because the jpg is aliased against the background, which is because it uses a compression format ideal for pictures to save space.Additionally, the jpg will have color corruptions-- just like it does for the background-- for your actual graphics. That makes it completely useless for recoloring, for putting together with another spritesheet... for really anything besides just looking at it (and the color corruption means that it's harder to see).*not for sprites, it actually takes more data-- the png is 2.7kb and the jpg is 11.1kb :3**sprites take up such little disk space that if this is a legitimate concern of yours I think you have bigger issues

Is that all the "Fuzz" in my sprites?

What is that?

google please

"(in computer graphics) a technique used to add greater realism to a digital image by smoothing jagged edges on curved lines and diagonals."

mlaa_example.jpg

now note that the anti-aliasing here is actually not dissimilar from the very thing I was complaining about in your graphic--the jpg effect that is

Now admittedly that's really not too informative unless you already kind of know what I mean, so let me link you to people who specialize in information-- this tutorial on pixeljoint I've found to be reliable and constantly refer back to.

Er, I kind of tangented on you didn't I?

Anti-aliasing most easily seen on the jawlines of the GBA FE cast; if you want to not read a full tutorial.

Edited by Eliwan

To put it simply, just think of AAing as blending. When we use terms like anti-aliased and aliased, we're pretty much talking in terms of whether it's been shaded or blended out. An aliased line lacks blending/shading/smoothing; an anti-aliased line is.

The "fuzz" in your JPG sprites come from compression. Because images are broken up into 8x8 bits, compression occurs separately in each individual bit, leading to artifacts. Artifacts =/= antialiasing. Artifacts are just stray pixels that result from random compression. If you're going to do sprite work, consider saving things as PNG, GIF, or BMP, with PNG being recommended.

To post images, use it like this: twitter.png

[img]http://serenesforest.net/forums/public/style_extra/sharelinks/twitter.png[/img]
Edited by Greninjeta

When you upload an imgur photo, there should be a little menu on the right of the image. In that menu, it should say BBCode, copy and paste that into your forum posts and replies to show the image without having to click a link.

IE: PR1Y68G.png

I did it! I couldn't find pngs for the healer or Ron though.

Edit: Double Post, does sprite thread s count as art threads in double post rules?