Mega crossover interest check - Feel free to give ideas

Enaluxeme

It's some time now that I have this thought about a RPG where every character is from a different place.

The basic idea is that the PCs can be from any kind of work of fiction: want to play as a sayan from Dragonball? Ok. As a Fire Emblem villain? Check. As an hero of Greek mythology? No problemo. A wizard who attended at Hogwarts? You can do it.

You can choose whatever character as long as he/she/it can fight.

I want this to have a stat system, and it should come out as a fighting-heavy game. The most important feature is that each character may have a special mechanic unique to them. As for the basics of the system, it should be quite simple: each character as different skills to use which may go from a simple sword slash to a rasengan or a support skill or whatever, plus some simple stats (health points, magic/mana/stamina/ki points, strenght, magic, defence, resistance, accuracy and speed).

I'm going for a party of three to six people.

If someone wants to join, ask some questions, master this in my place or simply give ideas, please do it!

...I wonder if somebody else did something like this. Probably yes.

I'll join. I propose a Final Fantasy and Pokemon Merger, in where all members of the party fight at once, speed determines who goes first in a fight and if a player can run from a group of enemies, a full wipe of the party causes you to go back to a previous town with funds lost, and the important stats of HP, AP, Strength, Defense, Magic, Magic Defense, and Speed. Characters can have an unlimited amount of skills and abilities, but the most powerful of these need to be locked behind something, like levels or an AP cost that is prohibitively expensive for the beginning of the game. I'll submit a character later.

I wasn't really thinking about mechanics when I said to submit ideas, but I suppose those are welcome as well. As for your idea, that's basically what I already had in mind. Only, I don't think there's a need for locked skills to unlock with experience, unless it's a mechanic unique to a character. Of course, you can still learn a new skill or something.

Trying to stat something like this yourself is suffering, and a recipe for failure. While I can't speak to it personally, if you insist on having stats for this game (really, freeform is a much better fit), try GURPS out.

I'll keep an eye on this, if only to see how you stat the characters because I'm a total nerd. But really, try fitting Harry Potter, Naruto, Pikachu and Goku under one system and you'll see how bad it could go.

Edited by Floral Pattern

A crossover premise? Sounds interesting. Would consider, once I see more how the whole thing goes regarding setting and stuff.

I'll keep an eye on this, if only to see how you stat the characters because I'm a total nerd. But really, try fitting Harry Potter, Naruto, Pikachu and Goku under one system and you'll see how bad it could go.

The idea is to keep the system simple. It's still gonna be interesting for the various quirks of the characters.

As for fitting characters so different from each other, I know how to both plot and gameplay wise.

The basic premise of the plot is goig to be: the multiverse is in danger and God recruits someone to save the day.

As for the gameplay: the universe in which the characters will fight has different rules than the ones from which X character is from, and this can make him/she/it and their skills weaker or stronger. As a result, all characters will be roughly equal.

Of course, I'm gonna rule out immortality and insta-death spells. No Alucard levels of unkillability and no avada kedavra, folks!

Edited by Enaluxeme

The idea is to keep the system simple. It's still gonna be interesting for the various quirks of the characters.

As for fitting characters so different from each other, I know how to both plot and gameplay wise.

The basic premise of the plot is goig to be: the multiverse is in danger and God recruits someone to save the day.

As for the gameplay: the universe in which the characters will fight has different rules than the ones from which X character is from, and this can make him/she/it and their skills weaker or stronger. As a result, all characters will be roughly equal.

Of course, I'm gonna rule out immortality and insta-death spells. No Alucard levels of unkillability and no avada kedavra, folks!

Yeah, but for example, magic in Harry Potter works very different from Final Fantasy magic and for example, Touhou magic. How will they interact together?

Just because it's called magic it doesn't make it the same thing. Just like there can be ki based attacks and magic there can be different sorts of magic.

I don't know anything about Touhou, so if someone whants one of such characters they'll have to do some deep explaining. What I can do however is talk about Harry Potter magic.

A wizard from H.P.'s universe would have no mp bar, as those wizards are shown to be able to continuously use spells without tiring. In this sense, they'll have less mechanics instead of having one more. I imagine that most spells that can be used offensively will either cast a special status (like Pietrificus Totalus) or directly attack with some element (like Aqua Eructo) or doing strong non-elemental damage against certain beasts (like Arania Exumai) and of course the standard attack spell used in the videogames would be a simple non-elemental magic spell. Those spells would translate into skills the character can use in battle. As for other spells, they can be used both in or outside of battle, but only in roleplay, and thus would have no actual effect on the battle in terms of stats (but can be actually useful outside of battle, expecially something like Accio or Wingardium Leviosa).

Expecto Patronum would probably cast a defensive buff against dark spirits or something, I suppose... Also I write little because I want you to have eye problems.

Just because it's called magic it doesn't make it the same thing. Just like there can be ki based attacks and magic there can be different sorts of magic.

I don't know anything about Touhou, so if someone whants one of such characters they'll have to do some deep explaining. What I can do however is talk about Harry Potter magic.

A wizard from H.P.'s universe would have no mp bar, as those wizards are shown to be able to continuously use spells without tiring. In this sense, they'll have less mechanics instead of having one more. I imagine that most spells that can be used offensively will either cast a special status (like Pietrificus Totalus) or directly attack with some element (like Aqua Eructo) or doing strong non-elemental damage against certain beasts (like Arania Exumai) and of course the standard attack spell used in the videogames would be a simple non-elemental magic spell. Those spells would translate into skills the character can use in battle. As for other spells, they can be used both in or outside of battle, but only in roleplay, and thus would have no actual effect on the battle in terms of stats (but can be actually useful outside of battle, expecially something like Accio or Wingardium Leviosa).

Expecto Patronum would probably cast a defensive buff against dark spirits or something, I suppose... Also I write little because I want you to have eye problems.

Ha! But the truth is that I already have eye problems!

Anyways, what I meant is, they all have their own rules, but if it comes to dealing blows or more serious spells like reviving spells, which universe would take priority? Could a HP spell protect you from ki? By Naruto laws everyone has chakra, but what about characters from Sailor Moon and etc?

Maybe something like "import a character from a universe, but they'll have to follow the basic laws of this story's universe" might work. Though you'll have to be specific about what flies and what doesn't.

A Naruto character would have chakra, a transformer wouldn't, regardless of universe. As long as it's something "built in" the character it would remain with them.

As for the more straightforward question, no: an HP spell can't protect you from ki. In fact, ki-based attack are magic based but should target defense, as most of the time there's a distinction between ki and magic (it's very clear that ki and magic are distinct in Dragonball and RWBY, for example).

And regarding reviving spells, it's just like the ban on unkillability and insta-death: you can use a Raise spell from FF to wake up a KO character, but if the character is completely dead, then that's it. We may find a way to insert another character in the group if you want to continue playing, just as long as it's clear you didn't kill your character on purpose :P

A short while ago I actually did something sort of like this actually. I picked Robin and joined in only to arrive right when the Shadow Queen was trying to take the Chaos Hearts. Erm... She cast Nosferatu on the Heart trying to keep it from going all to the queen and things... got interesting from there. Ah well. What of OC's? I've thought of trying to use Thyme somewhere else but haven't really had the chance.

You can use both OCs or unoriginal ones. Still, it's advisable to use widely known works of fiction as a base. You don't need to play as Cecil, but stating that my original character is from FFIV's world is better because it's easy to understand for most players.

Since I have no idea of the plot...

'Odyssey Between the Worlds: To the lights flow and the worlds below'?

'From the Heavens Above to the Warriors Below'?

'Land Between the Worlds'

I really have no idea, just trying to avoid the standard 'one/two word' titles and 'describe the name of the MacGuffin' type titles.

I'd make some kind of standardized system, because things will get really confusing otherwise. Like, make ki some sort of MP bar or something.

• 1 year later...

Interesting. I have an idea for how a RWBY-type character might work. 

Semblances could each have different effects that help a character.

These characters would have an Aura Meter, serving as a shield gauge. When it depletes from taking too many hits, the character would have to take damage with a small HP supply for a few turns.