FE6xna

Chocolate Kitty

Well, I played the first chapter, there were some minor things I noted.

There's a small typo in the 1st Chapter's opening dialogue, Roy says "your" instead of "you" near the end of the cutscene.

Roy gained a level against the boss of Chapter 1, but the level up screen did not appear.

My Chapter 1 score said 95 turns... that doesn't sound right. I'm no LTC'er, but I'm pretty sure I'm not that slow... If Turns means something different than what's traditionally meant, then ignore this, I suppose.

It also says 105 EXP, which since Roy and Wolt both gained levels, so that also doesn't sound right... Again, if this doesn't mean what I think it means (total EXP gain for the chapter across all units) then ignore this.

During the scene in Chapter 1 where Roy and Eliwood are talking after Eliwood's Memory scene, Marcus's name is misspelled "Markus"

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I played the first chapter, there were some minor things I noted.

There's a small typo in the 1st Chapter's opening dialogue, Roy says "your" instead of "you" near the end of the cutscene.

Roy gained a level against the boss of Chapter 1, but the level up screen did not appear.

My Chapter 1 score said 95 turns... that doesn't sound right. I'm no LTC'er, but I'm pretty sure I'm not that slow... If Turns means something different than what's traditionally meant, then ignore this, I suppose.

It also says 105 EXP, which since Roy and Wolt both gained levels, so that also doesn't sound right... Again, if this doesn't mean what I think it means (total EXP gain for the chapter across all units) then ignore this.

During the scene in Chapter 1 where Roy and Eliwood are talking after Eliwood's Memory scene, Marcus's name is misspelled "Markus"

Those numbers are scores. Marcus has been renamed to Markus.

hmm something seems odd on my own end trying to play the beta in other words i cant quite get it running

now ive gotten fe7x to work in the past so its not a i dont have things installed for fexna to work.

basically my virus protection thinks every file is bad and tries to remove them (didnt happen with fe7x) So i turn it off download everything and run the program nothing happenes a windows never comes up nothing happens in the task manager but what does happen is a text file appears basically saying i have missing files even tho i dont

oh i should clarify i did unzip (im not a newb in the form of doing that)

Edit: nvm it wouldnt run due to no content folder and that folder only appears if i copy the xna folder rather than just taking the files in the folder and putting it in a different folder

altho the it being seen as unsafe is still an issue

Edited by Apparoid

Some general gameplay notes/feedback:

- Marcus's map sprite predominately shows an Axe despite it being his worse weapon rank. Is this intentional? I think it makes more sense for him to be a Paladin still to also be consistent with FE7. Although perhaps this is just to give him less movement.

- I'd give Bors a few more base SKL and 2-3 less base LCK. He'd really value some more hit over some avoid and he's not going to need critical avoid with that personal skill he has.

- The christmas cavs seems a little too good. I'd very slightly drop their bases a bit -- like a single point of STR or SPD

- Wolt is.. pretty bad. 7 base STR due to WTA is a neat boost but not really enough. Due to being likely Rebecca's theoretical Son it makes sense for him to be speed based. Especially being the 'green' archer. I'd give him around 7-8 base SPD but 4-5 STR. Basically Rebecca but with better base speed. With Dorothy I'd make her the STR/SKL archer. In any case, Archers deserve to have good bases because they are player phase only and have infantry move unlike Nomads. Being stingy with their bases just makes them poor.

- Chad has 5 ATK at base. Is the 'Knife' skill bugged or incorrect? By definition it should give him more damage based on his SKL but it's not doing that. Otherwise he would have 9 ATK, or am I wrong? (apparently he needs at least 5 SKL for this to kick in) Either way, he cannot kill enemies and therefore get much EXP. Even if he poisons someone (but does no damage) he also gains barely any EXP. At the very least, I'd give him some more SKL if that will boost his damage a little. As it stands I needed to feed him the Arm Scroll and give him the Fine Sword just to make him remotely usable. Perhaps stealing should give ~25 EXP or so as well?

- Doesn't seem like much was done to fix CH3's main issue in terms of design -- having to detour and then go all the way back to recruit Lugh was/is always a pain. Perhaps add stairs specified below to help with this a bit?

CH3_Stairs.png

- Speaking of Lugh, I always thought his yellow attire would make him more suited for Thunder Magic. While Hugh = Wind and Lilina = Fire. But it seems wind is Lugh's main type? Not that there's a problem with that, just imagined it would make more sense.

- Rutger's group in CH4... Ambush spawns can never be justified IMO. They are awful towards blind players no matter how some people may be familiar with their locations.

- All base convos in CH4 crash the game except for two of them (one being where you get the Infantry Band). The game also crashes after the opening cutscenes in CH4.

- Game crashes the turn after the fog appears (in CH5 when you end the turn). I'll see if this is consistent. EDIT: Seems like it is.

If you would like to go further into gameplay balance discussion then feel free to give me a PM. What I've put above are fairly "brief" notes as far as I'm concerned (or at least the more prompting stuff). I could go in much more depth as what I would tweak balance in some cases to make units not only more balanced overall, but increasingly interesting/unique. But that's entirely up to you as to whether to feel any further help is necessary.

I'm really liking the progress so far. I was actually going to undergo a project like this but since it's already been/being done I hadn't bothered. So I'm more than happy to contribute. I'll provide some more feedback as I play further.

Edited by DLuna

Yeah, Kitty told me he's changing his name to Markus. I think Marcus is the typo but, he might have changed his mind?

i'm a closet alchoholic i don't know what i want D:

hmm something seems odd on my own end trying to play the beta in other words i cant quite get it running

now ive gotten fe7x to work in the past so its not a i dont have things installed for fexna to work.

basically my virus protection thinks every file is bad and tries to remove them (didnt happen with fe7x) So i turn it off download everything and run the program nothing happenes a windows never comes up nothing happens in the task manager but what does happen is a text file appears basically saying i have missing files even tho i dont

Edit: nvm it wouldnt run due to no content folder and that folder only appears if i copy the xna folder rather than just taking the files in the folder and putting it in a different folder

idk man that's your virus protection not me D:

Some general gameplay notes/feedback:

- Marcus's map sprite predominately shows an Axe despite it being his worse weapon rank. Is this intentional? I think it makes more sense for him to be a Paladin still to also be consistent with FE7. Although perhaps this is just to give him less movement.

Custom class he has, atm he just has a gk map sprite, eventually it'll be something unique. Since paladins are sword/lance, his custom class gives him access to axes, ta-da consistent with fe6 and fe7

- I'd give Bors a few more base SKL and 2-3 less base LCK. He'd really value some more hit over some avoid and he's not going to need critical avoid with that personal skill he has.

his skill is throw-away atm; his actual skill is still up in the air. i just know i want him to have... something

- The christmas cavs seems a little too good. I'd very slightly drop their bases a bit -- like a single point of STR or SPD

nah, they are exp nerfed, i think they're fine.

- Wolt is.. pretty bad. 7 base STR due to WTA is a neat boost but not really enough. Due to being likely Rebecca's theoretical Son it makes sense for him to be speed based. Especially being the 'green' archer. I'd give him around 7-8 base SPD but 4-5 STR. Basically Rebecca but with better base speed. With Dorothy I'd make her the STR/SKL archer. In any case, Archers deserve to have good bases because they are player phase only and have infantry move unlike Nomads. Being stingy with their bases just makes them poor.

wolt is the balance archer

- Chad has 5 ATK at base. Is the 'Knife' skill bugged or incorrect? By definition it should give him more damage based on his SKL but it's not doing that. Otherwise he would have 9 ATK, or am I wrong? (apparently he needs at least 5 SKL for this to kick in) Either way, he cannot kill enemies and therefore get much EXP. Even if he poisons someone (but does no damage) he also gains barely any EXP. At the very least, I'd give him some more SKL if that will boost his damage a little. As it stands I needed to feed him the Arm Scroll and give him the Fine Sword just to make him remotely usable. Perhaps stealing should give ~25 EXP or so as well?

he's utility, not a frontliner. if anything i'll buff steal's exp but i doubt even that.

or have the lockpick give exp

- Doesn't seem like much was done to fix CH3's main issue in terms of design -- having to detour and then go all the way back to recruit Lugh was/is always a pain. Perhaps add stairs specified below to help with this a bit?

the around route is always an option. i've always figured the idea of ch3 was send the main force in the castle, send 1-2 people north and around the fort(markus/shanni/diek for instance are good candidates)

- Speaking of Lugh, I always thought his yellow attire would make him more suited for Thunder Magic. While Hugh = Wind and Lilina = Fire. But it seems wind is Lugh's main type? Not that there's a problem with that, just imagined it would make more sense.

basically the decision came from lilina's initial weapon being thunder in fe6(talk to her, she gets a thunder, not a fire/elfire), so i went with thunder as her strongest base. wind is the weakest and cheapest, so that went to the earlygame orphan mage lugh. hugh just got what's left

- Rutger's group in CH4... Ambush spawns can never be justified IMO. They are awful towards blind players no matter how some people may be familiar with their locations.

eh, taken into account but no plans atm

- All base convos in CH4 crash the game except for two of them (one being where you get the Infantry Band). The game also crashes after the opening cutscenes in CH4.

>release notes

although i didn't know about the custscene crash

- Game crashes the turn after the fog appears (in CH5 when you end the turn). I'll see if this is consistent. EDIT: Seems like it is.

idk what's causing that, i'm looking into it now. someone already ended up at ch7, so it works for them???

If you would like to go further into gameplay balance discussion then feel free to give me a PM. What I've put above are fairly "brief" notes as far as I'm concerned (or at least the more prompting stuff). I could go in much more depth as what I would tweak balance in some cases to make units not only more balanced overall, but increasingly interesting/unique. But that's entirely up to you as to whether to feel any further help is necessary.

fire away, my inbox is always open

I'm really liking the progress so far. I was actually going to undergo a project like this but since it's already been/being done I hadn't bothered. So I'm more than happy to contribute. I'll provide some more feedback as I play further.

responses in bolddddddd

PLEASE don't make Geese Lalum only! I despise Lalum's route, but I LOVE Geese! (PS. Please make Roy a portrait where he doesn't have a severe case of baby face.)

Edited by Tuvy2

I think I had this issue. Windows Smartscreen was stopping it from running. The first time, after hitting more info, and saying run anyway nothing happened, but after this new download (not sure if that was the difference maker), it ran. So I'd disable Windows Smartscreen if nothing else is working.

EDIT: lol 7x class roll. Anyways, I'm excited, time to start playing.

Serenity is implemented but the arrows still show. Also, some level ups just don't pull up the level up menu and face, but still happen. Not sure if it's because I'm pressing A, will also confirm.

It's fun so far. I like the map shakeup for Ch 2.

Edited by deranger

here's a new one

as always, read the notes, report anything new. I think i fixed everything outside of the weird ch5 thing(no one has given me details on that)

TBH It's very likely due to the fact that I selected hard mode on reflex (and then read your notes, but then assumed you had just not implemented/made any changes to hard as opposed to it being buggy -- so carried on anyway. My bad!).

Turns out that enemies are far weaker in normal. Chad can do some damage here I suppose (which isn't saying much since everyone else stomps). I would give him a couple points of SKL and EXP on lockpick use + stealing though. He's still hard to level and thieves still need to gain levels to raise their speed in order to steal, as well as promote in order to gain more movement (or is that still not a thing?).

What might also be a nice skill for thieves to have is possibly double EXP on hits or debuffs, but not kills. This means they can be used to poke/debuff but not kill, and still gain decent EXP for it. Might be worth exploring -- As I agree that they are not primarily combat units who should be taking kills.

wolt is the balance archer

Eh... The thing with Archers is that their only relevant stats are STR, SPD and to a lesser extend SKL (which to be fair, is more useful in XNA). Archers don't need anything else because they are player phase only units who shouldn't ever really be attacked. All other stats are superficial.

That's why Wolt is bad. Having average STR and bad SPD just doesn't do any justice to an archer. I shouldn't really need to explain why. I'd say an archer needs two of STR/SPD/SKL to be good/great. Otherwise they'll be doomed to be mediocre at best. That's just how FE goes.

For Wolt, I'd still rework him into a SPD focused archer to mirror Dorothy. Because to be honest, whomever has the better balance of STR+SPD will be flat out better, no matter how high you make their other stats. Archers are kinda one-dimensional like that. At least Magi can have enemy phase contribution which means stats like LCK or DEF can be valued. If you want a 'balanced' archer I think Klein would be a much better candidate, since you can give him solid enough base stats to make him useful for the mid-game, even if he's not stellar in any particular area. Doesn't work for Wolt though since a growth/long term unit needs substantial pay-off, especially as an archer.

Also, I'd personally make either Wolt or Dorothea a Longbowman. Having both the non-promoted units being the same class seems less varied. Same for the pre-promotes (I'd make one a Sniper).

nah, they are exp nerfed, i think they're fine.

Fair enough. I see that Roy's the same -- but doesn't seem to be particularly good outside of the Rapier. Still, with an earlier promotion I suppose he can't be that bad.

eh, taken into account but no plans atm

I do just think fake difficulty should be avoided -- there are better ways to make a game more challenging.

I'm back on CH5 again, so I'll provide my remaining feedback shortly.

Edited by DLuna

TBH It's very likely due to the fact that I selected hard mode on reflex (and then read your notes, but then assumed you had just not implemented/made any changes to hard as opposed to it being buggy -- so carried on anyway. My bad!).

issokay

Turns out that enemies are far weaker in normal. Chad can do some damage here I suppose (which isn't saying much since everyone else stomps). I would give him a couple points of SKL and EXP on lockpick use + stealing though. He's still hard to level and thieves still need to gain levels to raise their speed in order to steal, as well as promote in order to gain more movement (or is that still not a thing?).

did you not get the newer version? that was already done

What might also be a nice skill for thieves to have is possibly double EXP on hits or debuffs, but not kills. This means they can be used to poke/debuff but not kill, and still gain decent EXP for it. Might be worth exploring -- As I agree that they are not primarily combat units who should be taking kills.

eh I prefer having them gain extra exp from recon or thievery; maybe i'll give them exp for visiting houses--oh wait everyone already does, i keep forgetting i added that

i'll think of something maybe who knows

Eh... The thing with Archers is that their only relevant stats are STR, SPD and to a lesser extend SKL (which to be fair, is more useful in XNA). Archers don't need anything else because they are player phase only units who shouldn't ever really be attacked. All other stats are superficial.

That's why Wolt is bad. Having average STR and bad SPD just doesn't do any justice to an archer. I shouldn't really need to explain why. I'd say an archer needs two of STR/SPD/SKL to be good/great. Otherwise they'll be doomed to be mediocre at best. That's just how FE goes.

For Wolt, I'd still rework him into a SPD focused archer to mirror Dorothy. Because to be honest, whomever has the better balance of STR+SPD will be flat out better, no matter how high you make their other stats. Archers are kinda one-dimensional like that. At least Magi can have enemy phase contribution which means stats like LCK or DEF can be valued. If you want a 'balanced' archer I think Klein would be a much better candidate, since you can give him solid enough base stats to make him useful for the mid-game, even if he's not stellar in any particular area. Doesn't work for Wolt though since a growth/long term unit needs substantial pay-off, especially as an archer.

Also, I'd personally make either Wolt or Dorothea a Longbowman. Having both the non-promoted units being the same class seems less varied. Same for the pre-promotes (I'd make one a Sniper).

these are kind of your opinion vs mine, so i'll stick with my formula for now

i'll think about adjusting growths but other than that, not much difference

tired of the old "STR/SPD is king" argument though, archers can participate in enemy phase and with a balance of standard stats and abundance of hp, useful for just that point if need be

Fair enough. I see that Roy's the same -- but doesn't seem to be particularly good outside of the Rapier. Still, with an earlier promotion I suppose he can't be that bad.

fe6 he was worse, i'll poke around with him again

you do get two rapiers fairly early though, don't be afraid to use them

I do just think fake difficulty should be avoided -- there are better ways to make a game more challenging.

ch4 isn't my priority right now, but like i said, taken into account but no plans currently

I'm back on CH5 again, so I'll provide my remaining feedback shortly.

Serenity is implemented but the arrows still show. Also, some level ups just don't pull up the level up menu and face, but still happen. Not sure if it's because I'm pressing A, will also confirm.

it's some weird bug that I can't seem to pin point

also serenity does not nullify the weapon triangle, so the arrow would still show

It's fun so far. I like the map shakeup for Ch 2.

le bold

Edited by Chocolate Kitty

"STR/SPD is king"

I understand being against this sentiment for tankier units or those with utility and/or movement. But we're discussing archers here, who typically just attack on player phase and also lack movement. So... they kinda need damage. They don't offer much else.

Dorothea seems okay from what I can see. Her bases make her more than usable, at least. Suu seems to kinda eclipse both of them on the virtue of how powerful Paragon is. And her base stats are the equivalent to a level 4-5 Wolt at level 1 -- and probably only gets even better from there due to actually having speed. And extra movement. And apparently a powerful 2-3 range bow that Nomads can use but not Archers. Hmm.

Seems a bit similar to Rolf vs. Astrid from FE9. Not that I think Suu is OP or anything -- heck there's nothing wrong with certain units being slightly above the power curve. It just seems the contrast is a bit wide in this case. Might not be a bad idea to bump up her base level to 3-4 though.

By the way, since Dorothea/Suu has a personal skill, couldn't Wolt use one? Something basic like "Encouragement: +10 Crit when adjacent to an ally" could work.

As for Bors, what about something like "Confidence: gain X bonus when receiving no terrain bonuses." Means he is best used to charge ahead rather than turtling on tiles like forts.

But I'm sure there's a lot of things you can experiment with.

I find roy's tri-cross hilt on his sword a little weird, but like his sprite otherwise. Flashes of irrelevant maps and units just disappearing is a little odd too.

Imagine that will be dealt with later on. It's a bit jarring I agree but likely not a priority so far.

I understand being against this sentiment for tankier units or those with utility and/or movement. But we're discussing archers here, who typically just attack on player phase and also lack movement. So... they kinda need damage. They don't offer much else.

Dorothea seems okay from what I can see. Her bases make her more than usable, at least. Suu seems to kinda eclipse both of them on the virtue of how powerful Paragon is. And her base stats are the equivalent to a level 4-5 Wolt at level 1 -- and probably only gets even better from there due to actually having speed. And extra movement. And apparently a powerful 2-3 range bow that Nomads can use but not Archers. Hmm.

you'll have to forgive me if i don't agree

i buffed wolt's spd(I have no idea how it was 4 before, that must have happened by mistake, it was supposed to be 6), luck, and def

other than that, he's unchanged

and the bow... has 7 might. Longbows are also foot exclusive(I may have forgotten to implement that, but that was the intention)

Seems a bit similar to Rolf vs. Astrid from FE9. Not that I think Suu is OP or anything -- heck there's nothing wrong with certain units being slightly above the power curve. It just seems the contrast is a bit wide in this case. Might not be a bad idea to bump up her base level to 3-4 though.

see above

By the way, since Dorothea/Suu has a personal skill, couldn't Wolt use one? Something basic like "Encouragement: +10 Crit when adjacent to an ally" could work.

He has a planned prf

As for Bors, what about something like "Confidence: gain X bonus when receiving no terrain bonuses." Means he is best used to charge ahead rather than turtling on tiles like forts.

eh--

But I'm sure there's a lot of things you can experiment with.

yeah that

as for the flash thing, just let me know what maps and chapters they occur on and I can see if i can replicate and eliminate the issue

Those stat tweaks + a personal skill should be fine I suppose. Again, I don't think every unit needs to be super good or anything, just usable enough (especially since this game has rankings -- likely far more strict than the original game). It's nice to use whomever without being punished for it.

and the bow... has 7 might.

More to do with the fact that it's essentially 14 against cavalry + 3 range. Just caught me off guard since nomads have enough advantages over archers, typically. Otherwise, the bow is light and also has crit.

Edited by DLuna

I find roy's tri-cross hilt on his sword a little weird, but like his sprite otherwise. Flashes of irrelevant maps and units just disappearing is a little odd too.

One thing I'll comment on that's weird: Roy doesn't have that satisfying "KKKKKKSHHHHHHHHH" when he kills an enemy and instead has the regular hit noise. It's disappointing. Also, Roy calls up the boss screen even when you have animations off on Chapter 1. It's weird.