FE6xna

Chocolate Kitty

Those stat tweaks + a personal skill should be fine I suppose. Again, I don't think every unit needs to be super good or anything, just usable enough (especially since this game has rankings -- likely far more strict than the original game). It's nice to use whomever without being punished for it.

More to do with the fact that it's essentially 14 against cavalry + 3 range. Just caught me off guard since nomads have enough advantages over archers, typically. Otherwise, the bow is light and also has crit.

it's not effective vs cavalry, it's effective vs armor...

and the rankings are not strict at all; you gain/lose points based on how much damage you took, how much exp you gained, the amount of turns taken and eventually the things you discover(open chests, talk to units, visit houses, etc.)

One thing I'll comment on that's weird: Roy doesn't have that satisfying "KKKKKKSHHHHHHHHH" when he kills an enemy and instead has the regular hit noise. It's disappointing. Also, Roy calls up the boss screen even when you have animations off on Chapter 1. It's weird.

noticed this earlier and still trying to figure out why

but bosses will always have animations on(unless they have no animation)

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the rankings are not strict at all; you gain/lose points based on how much damage you took, how much exp you gained, the amount of turns taken and eventually the things you discover(open chests, talk to units, visit houses, etc.)

That's not really what I meant. I understand what the ranks do, of course. But on hard mode I'd imagine they'd be tuned to be at least semi-challenging. Otherwise there isn't a point for them being there?

I really like the changes to CH7 BTW. I enjoyed that map a lot.

I'm very surprised that the abomination that is CH8 was left completely intact though. It's one of the worst maps in the entire series. I actually had to stop playing for the time being because it's that bad. =S

Have you considered making some heavy changes to this map to make it flow a whole lot better?

EDIT: I actually predicted Wendi would be a Zweihander. Are there any other units that could become one? I do really like that class.

Echidna could suit one pretty well perhaps.

Edited by DLuna

That's not really what I meant. I understand what the ranks do, of course. But on hard mode I'd imagine they'd be tuned to be at least semi-challenging. Otherwise there isn't a point for them being there?

I don't really get what you're saying still; what I was trying to convey was I set the rankings and characters specifically so everyone can be used and still get high marks.

I really like the changes to CH7 BTW. I enjoyed that map a lot.

It was a bitch to event but I like how it ended up as well

I'm very surprised that the abomination that is CH8 was left completely intact though. It's one of the worst maps in the entire series. I actually had to stop playing for the time being because it's that bad. =S

Have you considered making some heavy changes to this map to make it flow a whole lot better?

I made probably 3 drafts of the map and hated them all; despite how annoying the map is, I think it needs to stay as is. The only issue is that it's tedious, and changing it so you have a direct route to the throne room to mitigate this would be a weird change to make in the grand scheme to me. I'll probably look at it again later on, but it's not my priority right now to revamp it again.

EDIT: I actually predicted Wendi would be a Zweihander. Are there any other units that could become one? I do really like that class.

Yes, eventually

Echidna could suit one pretty well perhaps.

I made probably 3 drafts of the map and hated them all; despite how annoying the map is, I think it needs to stay as is. The only issue is that it's tedious, and changing it so you have a direct route to the throne room to mitigate this would be a weird change to make in the grand scheme to me. I'll probably look at it again later on, but it's not my priority right now to revamp it again.

I would probably just remove the first section of the map entirely (the first 10-12 turns aka. the worst part). Flip the map vertically so you still start south. Then possibly make Wendy/Barth/Ogier spawn with Lilina in the context that they rescued her. Or they can spawn south (or north in this case) to where Cath spawns and extend the map a little.

There's so many changes you can make to make the map a lot better. Even if it's just removing that initial stretch and making some small tweaks from there.

Otherwise, most maps in FE6 are okay. But this is the one I'd consider changing the most. Aside from maybe 14x or something.

I don't really get what you're saying still; what I was trying to convey was I set the rankings and characters specifically so everyone can be used and still get high marks.

I just enjoy a challenge is all (as well as replay value) -- and strict rankings provide just that. I assumed they still needed adjustment since I easily S'ed every map I played on Hard. let alone Normal with near-400 points is pretty standard. =L

My point initially was just that all units should at least decent enough that should rankings be tuned to be made more difficult, then everyone can freely be used within that context. In any case, I was just pointing out that it was a good thing Wolt was changed a bit. Aside from him, all other units seem fine.

Edited by DLuna

I would probably just remove the first section of the map entirely (the first 10-12 turns aka. the worst part). Flip the map vertically so you still start south. Then possibly make Wendy/Barth/Ogier spawn with Lilina in the context that they rescued her. Or they can spawn south (or north in this case) to where Cath spawns and extend the map a little.

@bolded I hate that idea so much, I'm sorry. I get why its a suggestion, I've just never liked it sole based on the fact that either A: if they rescued her, they shouldn't even spawn on the map and join the fight and instead should be protecting her or B: None of Barth's party is... sneaky. If Astor rescued her, that's one thing, but a giant iron wall is a stretch to me.

Removing the first section is an option, but flipping the map leads to problems(the throne for instance can't really be flipped). I'll probably end up doing this one(at least the first part).

There's so many changes you can make to make the map a lot better. Even if it's just removing that initial stretch and making some small tweaks from there.

Otherwise, most maps in FE6 are okay. But this is the one I'd consider changing the most. Aside from maybe 14x or something.

20Ax and 20Bx say hello

I just enjoy a challenge is all -- and strict rankings provide just that. I assumed they still needed adjustment since I easily S'ed every map I played on Hard. let alone Normal with near-400 points is pretty standard. =L

My point initially was just that all units should at least decent enough that should rankings be tuned to be made more difficult, then everyone can freely be used within that context.

This is earlygame though; you should be doing well. Hard mode isn't implemented properly yet either, so those rankings are somewhat meaningless.

Essentially, most fe games suffer with the reverse difficulty curve problem; the early maps are too difficult and the late maps are piss easy. I'm trying to mitigate this and flip the curve in the most logical direction

hopefully last update for lycia

Edited by Chocolate Kitty

Essentially, most fe games suffer with the reverse difficulty curve problem; the early maps are too difficult and the late maps are piss easy. I'm trying to mitigate this and flip the curve in the most logical direction

Well, I completely agree with you there. The game does need to have a difficulty curve in that regard and the original FE6 certain had that issue. So I'm glad it's being addressed. Fair enough on the comment on Hard mode.

@bolded I hate that idea so much, I'm sorry. I get why its a suggestion, I've just never liked it sole based on the fact that either A: if they rescued her, they shouldn't even spawn on the map and join the fight and instead should be protecting her or B: None of Barth's party is... sneaky. If Astor rescued her, that's one thing, but a giant iron wall is a stretch to me.

Yeah, I completely understand that. That's why their little 'box' could also possibly be moved below/above where Cath spawns (so in the opposite side from Lilina to your group).

Throne wouldn't be flipped in the traditional sense (it's entire section would just be moved on the opposite side). The reason for this is just so the group's starting location makes more sense in the context of Chapter 7. since if you remove the initial stretch of the map the starting location becomes a bit strange (unless you just create a cut-scene where Roy & Co just move up there automatically -- that could work too).

Edited by DLuna

Posted · Hidden by ghast, January 5, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by ghast, January 5, 2017 - No reason given

I love it!!! you did pretty good job.

The game still crash in Ch5 even with that new uptdate but after few tries I noticed that it always happens to me when my units are located in the north-est part of the map like 6 tiles below the village.

Overall feedback for the current release:

UNITS

Roy: Seems okay/average overall. As the main lord (forced) he might deserve a bit of a boost on that virtue but I'm guessing he has above average growths (counteracted by lower EXP gain?) so it's hard to say.

Wolt: Seems fine after the buffs as well as a personal skill added. Longbows are indeed extremely good so that ups the value of Archers as well.
Markus: He's pretty much the same as in Vanilla FE6 but with one less movement. That's fair. You could go another step further and remove axe access but that might not be necessary.
Alan: Appears more-or-less balanced based on lower EXP gain.
Rance: See Alan.
Bors: Hard to say. The problem with armors in FE6 is that the map design is really against them. There's no defend objectives and maps like CH8 or CH8x (or many of the later huge maps) are good examples of when they are really impaired. He has some good maps like CH5 (opening the door and defending) but not very many. In terms of stats he seems okay but like the original game, his problem stems further than that. Allowing armors to attack or act after using 'Cover' could go a long way in helping this (extends their effective attack range but only if there's an ally to use it on).
Merlinus: I'd personally give him a full level up per map (with possibly slight growth reductions) to make him more worth deploying. Otherwise, he's kinda useful to have around I guess.
Deik: Great unit -- same as the original. Superior to other sword users (except maybe Rutger) so far but I'm guessing his growths are lower?
Wado: Stats are overall inferior to Lott but his personal skill is better overall. Otherwise, both appear to be decent on the virtue of axes being better.
Lott: See Wado.
Shanni: Seems really good -- much better than the original game. It helps that the Slim Lance is rather great. Good unit.
Erin: Seems fine. I like how RES affects healing -- means that she will always be an excellent healer compared to others even if they have high MAG.
Shad: Obviously has thief utility but does feel a bit too weak and Astore is flat out better. No reason to use him once he joins which means that investment and supports go to waste. I haven't tried properly using him with the new update though so this may change.
Lugh: Balanced. Lacks raw damage but can usually double. Once he gets access to Elwind he really gets going. Not really sure how relevant his personal skill is though since he's never really in range to be attacked by a poison weapon.
Klarine: Has less RES then Erin (heals less) but has more move. Seems balanced.
Rutger: Still seems very good. But without those hard mode bonuses he's balanced. Reliant on dodging to say alive. Neat personal skill.
Saul: Decent enough; great speed. I do wish he gets access to an Ellight/Shine tome by CH8 or so though. being stuck with lightning makes him worse than say, Lugh. This makes him feel a bit weak even if on paper he's fine. So yeah, give him a C tome or something for him to use.
Dorothea: Seems fine but a bit too similar to Wolt now that he's been buffed (same stats at level 5 pretty much). Might be worth tweaking her stats a little (-1 STR/HP, +3 SKL?) as a result but otherwise, seems good enough. Not completely sure how resolve works in this game but if it's anything like other games then... that's definitely powerful.
Suu: Seems very good as Paragon is such a powerful skill and she doesn't exactly join late. Not much else I can say other than that her stat spread is also good for her class.
Treck: Solid unit. Class/weapon suits him more and I can see Nihil being very useful.
Noah: Very useful personal skill and very good stats, especially speed (meaning he can often 1RKO consistently).
Jerrot: Interchangeable with Marcus. Might be a bit too similar to him if anything.
Astore: Great. He's pretty much the same as the original but gets 1-2 range. I just hope the other thieves are as good (Cath just needs to not be underleveled when she joins later).
Ogier: He has the same base level/stats as Deik but joins 6 maps later? Not only is he weaker as a result but just feels... too similar. I'd bump up his base level to 5-6 and adjust his stats to make him a bit different. Growths may be different but that has no effect with face value / first impressions which just makes Diek seem strictly better. I'm guessing he's getting a better personal skill (since it's currently the same as Lugh) so that may or may not help. But currently, just doesn't seem worth bothering with when other swordies like Deik, Rutger and Noah etc... are all better.
Wendi: She seems interesting. Florence is an extremely powerful PRF weapon and I like how she trades DEF for some RES (I assume her growth is good in that regard?). Has the same movement issues as Bors/Barth but hopefully you can take a look at that issue at some point. Paragon is also awesome so I'll doubt she'll be lacking outside of that aforementioned issue. I really like what you've done with her.
Barth: Stat-wise looks to be about the same as the original Barth but now has a better weapon type for him (due to CON) and since other units are gaining EXP slower he therefore starts out relatively better. I would assume his growths are a bit better(?) so he should be decent so long as you can deal with the movement issue as previously mentioned. May be pretty viable to early promote him now as well as an extra Jeigan, depending on if promotion items are a bit more common (I think they should be IMO).
Lilina: Hard to judge currently but seems better than the original Lilina at the very least, by having better bases and immediate access to Elthunder/Elfire.

MAPS

CH1: Not much was changed but doesn't really need it.

CH2: Perspective change is cool, I guess. Otherwise, the enemy placement is better than the original.
CH3: Never liked this map much (linearity + clustered army syndrome) but the tweaks to it have made it a little better since there's the bottom route as well.
CH4: Good map that didn't change much, but didn't need it. Perhaps on Hard Mode Erik could move/be in the open like FE7.
CH5: Changes are w/e but adds flavor to the map, I suppose. Enemy placement/variety seems improved overall. Aren't Shamans (anima 4 move) meant to have more DEF/less RES though? They seemed a bit weak/squishy when they're supposed to be the bulky magi.
CH6: Not exactly one of my favorite maps (map is extremely sluggish unless you constantly rescue chain, and not exactly hard) so was hoping for some improvements.
CH7: Very cool changes. The map felt very 'alive' and dynamic. Would love for this kind of effort to be put in some other maps.
CH8: You know my thoughts on this map already.
CH8x: Yet to actually play all the way through, but visually looks better than the original and doesn't seem quite as long winded/tedious (outside of rescue skipping the old one). Still seems quite boring/dull though, where you just funnel units down a road and lure/kill enemies in very small groups, lacking any difficulty. I personally always thought that this map could be a defend one -- where the bandits ambush you while you are about to take the sword. Then after X turns Cecilia/Percival show up as reinforcements and the map is won. But hey, that's just an idea. Otherwise, I just don't think the current map is that interesting. There's no sense of urgency or threat in regards to its current design (and I personally think all the gaidens/paralogues should be a bit more difficult than normal).

The base camps prior to each map work really well and are a welcome addition. Increased weapon variety is very nice (as well as all the other bells and whistles that XNA has to offer).
Otherwise, have you considered adding mid-map checkpoints such as the DS games (or FE7x)? Might be a good addition for some longer maps (like CH8).
Also, could you confirm how supports work? It seems that they do not grow just by standing adjacently (being simply deployed together appears to be another factor now). Is that correct? I've always thought that FE9's support system worked the best, personally. But a combination of the two works, I guess.
Edited by DLuna

Overall feedback for the current release:

UNITS

Roy: Seems okay/average overall. As the main lord (forced) he might deserve a bit of a boost on that virtue but I'm guessing he has above average growths (counteracted by lower EXP gain?) so it's hard to say.

Indeed he does, and gains a better skill at level 10(currently it's fortune, which is pointless on a unit with high luck)

Wolt: Seems fine after the buffs as well as a personal skill added. Longbows are indeed extremely good so that ups the value of Archers as well.
mk
Markus: He's pretty much the same as in Vanilla FE6 but with one less movement. That's fair. You could go another step further and remove axe access but that might not be necessary.
Already did
Alan: Appears more-or-less balanced based on lower EXP gain.
Rance: See Alan.
mk
Bors: Hard to say. The problem with armors in FE6 is that the map design is really against them. There's no defend objectives and maps like CH8 or CH8x (or many of the later huge maps) are good examples of when they are really impaired. He has some good maps like CH5 (opening the door and defending) but not very many. In terms of stats he seems okay but like the original game, his problem stems further than that. Allowing armors to attack or act after using 'Cover' could go a long way in helping this (extends their effective attack range but only if there's an ally to use it on).
noted, will see what I can do
Merlinus: I'd personally give him a full level up per map (with possibly slight growth reductions) to make him more worth deploying. Otherwise, he's kinda useful to have around I guess.
well he starts promoted, and there are ~30 maps in the normal game so he'd cap fairly quickly. Perhaps i'll make it 75 exp. Every map actually has an extra deployment slot than FE6 to make a spot for Merlinus if the player so chooses.
Deik: Great unit -- same as the original. Superior to other sword users (except maybe Rutger) so far but I'm guessing his growths are lower?
Quite so
Wado: Stats are overall inferior to Lott but his personal skill is better overall. Otherwise, both appear to be decent on the virtue of axes being better.
Lott: See Wado.
mk
Shanni: Seems really good -- much better than the original game. It helps that the Slim Lance is rather great. Good unit.
mk
Erin: Seems fine. I like how RES affects healing -- means that she will always be an excellent healer compared to others even if they have high MAG.
mk
Shad: Obviously has thief utility but does feel a bit too weak and Astore is flat out better. No reason to use him once he joins which means that investment and supports go to waste. I haven't tried properly using him with the new update though so this may change.
Will address when I get to astore
Lugh: Balanced. Lacks raw damage but can usually double. Once he gets access to Elwind he really gets going. Not really sure how relevant his personal skill is though since he's never really in range to be attacked by a poison weapon.
His personal skill speaks to more of his background than utility, but it affects more than just poison.
Klarine: Has less RES then Erin (heals less) but has more move. Seems balanced.
mk
Rutger: Still seems very good. But without those hard mode bonuses he's balanced. Reliant on dodging to say alive. Neat personal skill.
mk
Saul: Decent enough; great speed. I do wish he gets access to an Ellight/Shine tome by CH8 or so though. being stuck with lightning makes him worse than say, Lugh. This makes him feel a bit weak even if on paper he's fine. So yeah, give him a C tome or something for him to use.
I think i put a shine in ch7's shop, but I may be mistaken
Dorothea: Seems fine but a bit too similar to Wolt now that he's been buffed (same stats at level 5 pretty much). Might be worth tweaking her stats a little (-1 STR/HP, +3 SKL?) as a result but otherwise, seems good enough. Not completely sure how resolve works in this game but if it's anything like other games then... that's definitely powerful.
Resolve gives bonus POW & DEF; another skill is more along the lines of FE10's resolve. If anything, she's getting more strength and less skill.
Suu: Seems very good as Paragon is such a powerful skill and she doesn't exactly join late. Not much else I can say other than that her stat spread is also good for her class.
mk, she may lose paragon so don't get too used to it.
Treck: Solid unit. Class/weapon suits him more and I can see Nihil being very useful.
mk
Noah: Very useful personal skill and very good stats, especially speed (meaning he can often 1RKO consistently).
mk
Jerrot: Interchangeable with Marcus. Might be a bit too similar to him if anything.
I noticed this but not sure what I'll do about it yet.
Astore: Great. He's pretty much the same as the original but gets 1-2 range. I just hope the other thieves are as good (Cath just needs to not be underleveled when she joins later).
Astore will be a better combat unit than the other two thieves but does not have the same promotion that they do. I will look at giving shad a bit of a boost though, and cass is autoleveled each time she appears on maps(compare her level on ch8 vs ch6)
Ogier: He has the same base level/stats as Deik but joins 6 maps later? Not only is he weaker as a result but just feels... too similar. I'd bump up his base level to 5-6 and adjust his stats to make him a bit different. Growths may be different but that has no effect with face value / first impressions which just makes Diek seem strictly better. I'm guessing he's getting a better personal skill (since it's currently the same as Lugh) so that may or may not help. But currently, just doesn't seem worth bothering with when other swordies like Deik, Rutger and Noah etc... are all better.
He's a growth unit but I will admit he's... in an odd position. Imo he was in the normal game as well, so I need to look at fixing that.
Wendi: She seems interesting. Florence is an extremely powerful PRF weapon and I like how she trades DEF for some RES (I assume her growth is good in that regard?). Has the same movement issues as Bors/Barth but hopefully you can take a look at that issue at some point. Paragon is also awesome so I'll doubt she'll be lacking outside of that aforementioned issue. I really like what you've done with her.
good good
Barth: Stat-wise looks to be about the same as the original Barth but now has a better weapon type for him (due to CON) and since other units are gaining EXP slower he therefore starts out relatively better. I would assume his growths are a bit better(?) so he should be decent so long as you can deal with the movement issue as previously mentioned. May be pretty viable to early promote him now as well as an extra Jeigan, depending on if promotion items are a bit more common (I think they should be IMO).
yeah same issue as bors if anything currently
Lilina: Hard to judge currently but seems better than the original Lilina at the very least, by having better bases and immediate access to Elthunder/Elfire.
mk

MAPS

CH1: Not much was changed but doesn't really need it.

mk

CH2: Perspective change is cool, I guess. Otherwise, the enemy placement is better than the original.
mk
CH3: Never liked this map much (linearity + clustered army syndrome) but the tweaks to it have made it a little better since there's the bottom route as well.
planning on a small edit to the top section possibly
CH4: Good map that didn't change much, but didn't need it. Perhaps on Hard Mode Erik could move/be in the open like FE7.
maybe
CH5: Changes are w/e but adds flavor to the map, I suppose. Enemy placement/variety seems improved overall. Aren't Shamans (anima 4 move) meant to have more DEF/less RES though? They seemed a bit weak/squishy when they're supposed to be the bulky magi.
They're earlygame weak bandits though
CH6: Not exactly one of my favorite maps (map is extremely sluggish unless you constantly rescue chain, and not exactly hard) so was hoping for some improvements.
If I redo the map entirely, it doesn't feel like the same chapter, and therefor i have no plans to edit it. The turn requirement is higher for this chapter to compensate
CH7: Very cool changes. The map felt very 'alive' and dynamic. Would love for this kind of effort to be put in some other maps.
Bland chapter that had no depth, so I gave it something. Hopefully I can do this again for other maps.
CH8: You know my thoughts on this map already.
noted
CH8x: Yet to actually play all the way through, but visually looks better than the original and doesn't seem quite as long winded/tedious (outside of rescue skipping the old one). Still seems quite boring/dull though, where you just funnel units down a road and lure/kill enemies in very small groups, lacking any difficulty. I personally always thought that this map could be a defend one -- where the bandits ambush you while you are about to take the sword. Then after X turns Cecilia/Percival show up as reinforcements and the map is won. But hey, that's just an idea. Otherwise, I just don't think the current map is that interesting. There's no sense of urgency or threat in regards to its current design (and I personally think all the gaidens/paralogues should be a bit more difficult than normal).
It's actually unfinished... :sweatdrop: But yeah, will have more going for it. I decided to leave it as-is because I'm unable to set traps yet. Once that is in place, expect hell

The base camps prior to each map work really well and are a welcome addition. Increased weapon variety is very nice (as well as all the other bells and whistles that XNA has to offer).
Otherwise, have you considered adding mid-map checkpoints such as the DS games (or FE7x)? Might be a good addition for some longer maps (like CH8).
I actually forgot they existed, noted
Also, could you confirm how supports work? It seems that they do not grow just by standing adjacently (being simply deployed together appears to be another factor now). Is that correct? I've always thought that FE9's support system worked the best, personally. But a combination of the two works, I guess.
It's a mix of fe9's system and gba's system. You gain points for being in a chapter together as well as fighting the same enemy, healing each other, rescuing, (maybe trading? i have to check) and any other interactions between characters.

bolded responses

Ogier could have Resolve rather than Immunity. Seems like a very good fit for a hero (thematic!).

Then possibly give him a couple extra points of SPD but lower his STR and/or DEF. This means his STR/DEF is a bit lower than now when resolve is not activated, but higher when it is. The SPD increase would help differ him from Deik. Currently they have the exact same base speed.

At the very least I think he deserves more SPD since his CON is much lower (can't use weapons like steel swords without penalty). I doubt he'd be able to use axes all that well when he promotes. That's kinda the main reason why Deik was always better, I think (hand axes!).

Or you can give him more RES to make him a bit of an anti-mage. This would further contrast him from Deik who has more DEF instead. There are a few options here.

For Suu's Paragon you could give her 'Elite' instead, which increases EXP by only 50% rather than 100%, but also increases wEXP by 50% as well. So it's like a balanced combination of Paragon and Discipline. Overall a nerf to Suu since EXP is more important than than wEXP (although being able to reach C bows faster for the prf weapon is nice of course). But hey, you might have other plans for her.

BTW is it intended that Longbows can go through walls regardless of the 'gaps' in them. Seems like an error, because logically it should be consistent by only being able to fire through those gaps as well (just at a much higher range). If I recall, Wolt/Dorothea can shoot the CH8 boss behind the throne which is bit silly.

For Merlinus, you could just force him on every map (except for paralogues) and just keep it as 50 EXP. He's a fairly prominent story character so it wouldn't exactly be odd. I mean, you'd still otherwise have the same deployment slots as the original game. But so far I've had no real reason to deploy him if I just manage inventory a bit. And deploying an extra healer, or extra thief etc... will always be better than Merlinus from what it seems.

EDIT: I've also noticed now that the game doesn't use the XNA (or FE7x) new stat formula for hit/avoid:

SKL = +3 hit per point (buff!)

LCK = +2 avoid per point (buff!)

SPD = +1 avoid per point (nerf!)

This game still uses the old formula.

Any reason why? The changes above make the more lackluster stats better and nerfs speed which is a really good thing. It means you can provide more interesting stat spreads on certain units while still making them good. It also means when leveling up, that gaining SKL or LCK becomes more valuable or appreciated. And a world where SPD is less valuable is always a good thing..

Edited by DLuna

Ogier could have Resolve rather than Immunity. Seems like a very good fit for a hero (thematic!).

Then possibly give him a couple extra points of SPD but lower his STR and/or DEF. This means his STR/DEF is a bit lower than now when resolve is not activated, but higher when it is. The SPD increase would help differ him from Deik. Currently they have the exact same base speed.

At the very least I think he deserves more SPD since his CON is much lower (can't use weapons like steel swords without penalty). I doubt he'd be able to use axes all that well when he promotes. That's kinda the main reason why Deik was always better, I think (hand axes!).

Or you can give him more RES to make him a bit of an anti-mage. This would further contrast him from Deik who has more DEF instead. There are a few options here.

Perhaps @ most of these; maybe Daredevil(FE10 resolve) over resolve, but thematically neither daredevil nor resolve exactly fit his character. But who knows

For Suu's Paragon you could give her 'Elite' instead, which increases EXP by only 50% rather than 100%, but also increases wEXP by 50% as well. So it's like a balanced combination of Paragon and Discipline. Overall a nerf to Suu since EXP is more important than than wEXP (although being able to reach C bows faster for the prf weapon is nice of course). But hey, you might have other plans for her.

I have no idea tbh, but that's an idea

BTW is it intended that Longbows can go through walls regardless of the 'gaps' in them. Seems like an error, because logically it should be consistent by only being able to fire through those gaps as well (just at a much higher range). If I recall, Wolt/Dorothea can shoot the CH8 boss behind the throne which is bit silly.

Super not intentional but I have no idea how to address that yet :(

For Merlinus, you could just force him on every map (except for paralogues) and just keep it as 50 EXP. He's a fairly prominent story character so it wouldn't exactly be odd. I mean, you'd still otherwise have the same deployment slots as the original game. But so far I've had no real reason to deploy him if I just manage inventory a bit. And deploying an extra healer, or extra thief etc... will always be better than Merlinus from what it seems.

I'm somewhat satisfied with that exact scenario tbh; sometimes you'll want to bring him along, other times it's more useful to bring an extra healer, thief, body, etc. That's why the option is there.

EDIT: I've also noticed now that the game doesn't use the XNA (or FE7x) new stat formula for hit/avoid:

SKL = +3 hit per point (buff!)

LCK = +2 avoid per point (buff!)

SPD = +1 avoid per point (nerf!)

This game still uses the old formula.

Any reason why? The changes above make the more lackluster stats better and nerfs speed which is a really good thing. It means you can provide more interesting stat spreads on certain units while still making them good. It also means when leveling up, that gaining SKL or LCK becomes more valuable or appreciated. And a world where SPD is less valuable is always a good thing..

I never noticed tbh, I thought it was the same the whole time lol

unrelated, i'm not positive if i mentioned this idea before, but I considered adding a chapter between ch8(or int1) and ch9(which would be moved to ch10). Are there any thoughts/opinions on this; I'd rather not spoil the entire chapter idea, but if it helps the chapter would be taking place at sea

Any extra content is good.

Might be an opportunity to add a more in-closed defend map (especially since you've just received Barth/Wendy). Either way, it'll be nice to have some maps that aren't just 'seize throne' or 'kill boss on said throne'. It helps certain units be more valuable.

EDIT: Playing through again I do think Bors needs 2-3 more points of SKL (in exchange for LCK or something). He tends to struggle hitting axe users which are generally more common. Considering he's LV3 as well, his bases could do with a slight increase anyway since DEF is his only notably good stat.

Also, Wendy's Florence only gains 1 durability from the repair kit. That seems a bit stingy. =S Granted it's an amazing weapon but you should have the option to legitimately repair it a bit if you want (5-7 uses per repair seems fair IMO).

Will in-base shops be added before the interlude as well? I think you should be able to purchase some standard weapons/items in the base when you need to.

Additionally, I think it'll be a good idea to have a prep menu starting from CH2, just so you can re-organize unit starting locations. Would be really nice to have. Especially for maps like CH3 or CH5 where you'd want to possibly split your team. (Also sucks for Bors that he often starts at the back, poor guy =L)

Edited by DLuna

Any extra content is good.

Might be an opportunity to add a more in-closed defend map (especially since you've just received Barth/Wendy). Either way, it'll be nice to have some maps that aren't just 'seize throne' or 'kill boss on said throne'. It helps certain units be more valuable.

EDIT: Playing through again I do think Bors needs 2-3 more points of SKL (in exchange for LCK or something). He tends to struggle hitting axe users which are generally more common. Considering he's LV3 as well, his bases could do with a slight increase anyway since DEF is his only notably good stat.

Also, Wendy's Florence only gains 1 durability from the repair kit. That seems a bit stingy. =S Granted it's an amazing weapon but you should have the option to legitimately repair it a bit if you want (5-7 uses per repair seems fair IMO).

There's a second type of repair kit, as well as the hammerne exists

The basic repair kit only restores 500g worth of repairs, keep that in mind

Will in-base shops be added before the interlude as well? I think you should be able to purchase some standard weapons/items in the base when you need to.

Standard weapons yes, just like in the normal games

Oh wait before; no, only post. No real time to gather resources before this point in time, every interlude will net an upgrades base shop so to speak(IE: bronzes available -> irons -> steels etc)

Additionally, I think it'll be a good idea to have a prep menu starting from CH2, just so you can re-organize unit starting locations. Would be really nice to have. Especially for maps like CH3 or CH5 where you'd want to possibly split your team. (Also sucks for Bors that he often starts at the back, poor guy =L)

Maybe ch5, but def not ch3 due to the presumed urgency

Edited by Chocolate Kitty

Ah, something I've been pondering. I'm guessing Dorian's a PC at some point (maybe after Guinevere leaves with Caecilia? As a Zweihander/Vanguard) but what about Guinevere? I've always thought she could join when Milady joins. Perhaps as the new mounted mage class (the ones that appear in CH4 -- name escapes me) or a Diviner. Would that be fairly accurate?

Always thought she could actually contribute (Like Nyna) rather than well... doing nothing.

Although Hugh could be a mounted magi as well (always thought that three standard mages were a tad too much -- so this mixes it up a bit). So that leaves Diviner I suppose. That then also leaves the Scholar, I believe. But Ray could be that class while Sofia is the Sorcerer. Finally, I'm guessing Crossbowman aren't a thing in this game since I'd imagine you would have made Dorothea one otherwise.

But for all I know you could have new characters being each of those classes.

(If you can't tell, I like class diversity =p)

Are you going to include any nods to FE7x btw (character/events wise), or just FE7?

Are you going to include any nods to FE7x btw (character/events wise), or just FE7?

Edit: Nevermind I was thinking in another thing xD

Edited by Troykv

Don't know if this is a problem on my end, but some characters (Marcus, flashback Hector, and others) have their portraits floating in midair. Apologies if this has been addressed already.

824d89b5c0.png

Edited by Rinehart

tis in le doc

Ah, something I've been pondering. I'm guessing Dorian's a PC at some point (maybe after Guinevere leaves with Caecilia? As a Zweihander/Vanguard) but what about Guinevere? I've always thought she could join when Milady joins. Perhaps as the new mounted mage class (the ones that appear in CH4 -- name escapes me) or a Diviner. Would that be fairly accurate?

Always thought she could actually contribute (Like Nyna) rather than well... doing nothing.

Although Hugh could be a mounted magi as well (always thought that three standard mages were a tad too much -- so this mixes it up a bit). So that leaves Diviner I suppose. That then also leaves the Scholar, I believe. But Ray could be that class while Sofia is the Sorcerer. Finally, I'm guessing Crossbowman aren't a thing in this game since I'd imagine you would have made Dorothea one otherwise.

But for all I know you could have new characters being each of those classes.

(If you can't tell, I like class diversity =p)

i can answer like none of these questions because uh

spoilers

tis in le doc

i can answer like none of these questions because uh

spoilers

Heh. Fair enough.

I understand if you disagree, but ever thought about implementing a (really) soft-fatigue system? Basically, for every time a unit is deployed consecutively, they receive a -5 HIT/AVO penalty (capped at -15/20 or something). This only starts from CH6 and units such as Roy/Merlinus are obviously exempt from this. It's overall quite minor, but it actively encourages the player to occasionally switch up their army to let units rest.

FE6 has such a massive roster, but as in every other FE, the player is best to stick to the same army throughout the entire game. This however creates incentive to occasionally switch things up a bit -- and stops you from continuously relying on specific units (if only a little). It also lets unit balance be a bit more dynamic as well, since even if Diek is being actively used, you could switch him out for the "inferior" Ogier for a map and let him shine a little (and if he gets a few good levels, then the player might change their mind on who to use more).

It makes sense from a logical standpoint as well, especially since Roy is openly concerned with the welfare of his army. A talk conversation could be introduced in CH6 to explain the concept.

But again, I understand if you're hesitant on such a feature. But it's no where near as penalizing as FE5 and I believe it could really work well for a game like FE6. Of course, items could exist to remove fatigue if you really love using certain units consistently. Or even cool interactions such as visiting a pub or church.

On a separate topic, had any thoughts on more staff types? The Freeze staff from Fates is really cool design. Or generally just status staves that only last for 1 turn with a much lower range (and much more durability).

Edited by DLuna

Heh. Fair enough.

I understand if you disagree, but ever thought about implementing a (really) soft-fatigue system? Basically, for every time a unit is deployed consecutively, they receive a -5 HIT/AVO penalty (capped at -15/20 or something). This only starts from CH6 and units such as Roy/Merlinus are obviously exempt from this. It's overall quite minor, but it actively encourages the player to occasionally switch up their army to let units rest.

FE6 has such a massive roster, but as in every other FE, the player is best to stick to the same army throughout the entire game. This however creates incentive to occasionally switch things up a bit -- and stops you from continuously relying on specific units (if only a little). It also lets unit balance be a bit more dynamic as well, since even if Diek is being actively used, you could switch him out for the "inferior" Ogier for a map and let him shine a little (and if he gets a few good levels, then the player might change their mind on who to use more).

It makes sense from a logical standpoint as well, especially since Roy is openly concerned with the welfare of his army. A talk conversation could be introduced in CH6 to explain the concept.

But again, I understand if you're hesitant on such a feature. But it's no where near as penalizing as FE5 and I believe it could really work well for a game like FE6. Of course, items could exist to remove fatigue if you really love using certain units consistently. Or even cool interactions such as visiting a pub or church.

Disagree? DISAGREE??!?!?!!

I already planned on doing this, just didn't know how or to what extent yet :o

On a separate topic, had any thoughts on more staff types? The Freeze staff from Fates is really cool design. Or generally just status staves that only last for 1 turn with a much lower range (and much more durability).

Blind staff does pretty much that

Stone as well if I end up implementing it

Disagree? DISAGREE??!?!?!!

I already planned on doing this, just didn't know how or to what extent yet :o

Haha

I just know how much this community hates fatigue. But It seems you're not alone in understanding why it can be good despite FE5's flawed execution (it was a great idea but...).