FE6xna

Chocolate Kitty

Attacking Reygans with Lilina causes the game to crash. Starting that entire chapter over does not sound very appealing... any ideas on how I can fix/skip this?

I will post a summary of my units and impressions after I finish the current patch.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attacking Reygans with Lilina causes the game to crash. Starting that entire chapter over does not sound very appealing... any ideas on how I can fix/skip this?

I will post a summary of my units and impressions after I finish the current patch.

might i get a save--

nvm i'm stupid; fix will be up momentarily

Just finished playing up to the first interlude. Here are the units that I used:

1de74c3fe5.png

Roy: Pretty similar to vanilla Roy. Somewhat weak and not very durable, but not a terrible unit. I was going to use that Seraph Robe on him except I forgot and then it got stolen by a thief...

b59cc80fba.png

Rance: Nice well-rounded mounted unit. He reliably doubled things from the beginning and was solid in combat.

312de76110.png

Merlinus: He has a very, very useful skill that heals adjacent allies 10 HP per turn. Saved my ass a few times when my healers were out of range.

8d50477af8.png

Eren: why does she have so much SKL Regular run-of-the-mill healer. Soothe is nice since it allows me to not burn through Heal staves.

06cffd3a80.png

Suu: Hooooly crap. As much as she was STR-screwed, she more than made up for it. I think she procced SPD every level except for two. Paragon is great. I also really like her portrait!

027ce53008.png

Klarine: Her low MAG combined with the nerf to healing staves made her somewhat of a liability, but still good enough to take along due to the high deployment cap. More on that later.

dd879534ad.png

Lugh: Asvel is that you Does a good job of weakening units for others to kill. I liked his random outburst about sweat in Chapter 8x :P

2589d7260c.png

Diek: Just like in the original. Kind of SPD-screwed, but the Cavalry Band patched that up nicely.

9c1ad00f66.png

Noah: Like Rance, very well-rounded. That personal skill makes him Noah the Undying.

af8671b54b.png

Lilina: when did Lilina become this hot She seems to have really good growths, so I've been feeding her EXP. So far it's been working out.

7a997e476a.png

Wado: Decent axe bro is decent.

215f6c65a1.png

Lott: See Wado.

15e9ee2fa8.png

Astor: Much better than Shad. Thieves having 1~2 range is a massive buff, and I anticipate using him for combat along with regular thief stuff.

4c11229646.png

Marcus: should let him fly because he already floats around everywhere Good backup/protector for the first few chapters, dropped afterwards.

General impressions:

• Solid map design with good faithfulness to the original
  • I think the amount of units the player is allowed to deploy is too high. There were many points where most of my units were simply playing catch up to reach the next group of enemies. Maybe consider reducing the deployment cap to ~10 for the larger chapters?
  • Lilina talking to Roy in Chapter 8x breaks the game
  • Some bosses were a bit too easy (the drunk Wyvern guy in Chapter 7 and Reygans to name a couple). The dude guarding the shrine in Chapter 8x was a reasonably level of difficulty
  • Eren and Klarine level up really, really slowly due to the lowered EXP gain from staves (especially Soothe). I think it wouldn't hurt to double the amount of EXP earned from staves

That's all I can think of. Great work, looking forward to the next installment :)

Edited by Rinehart

• I think the amount of units the player is allowed to deploy is too high. There were many points where most of my units were simply playing catch up to reach the next group of enemies. Maybe consider reducing the deployment cap to ~10 for the larger chapters?

I think this is just because of map design. FE6 can have very linear, corridor-y maps which means your units are prone to all cluster up (which is the worst type of map design IMO -- and as a side note I think that's why FE10 has the best map design in the series as well, as it tends to avoid this).

And since these stretches are really long, mounted units dominate. CH8 is a very good example of this. You're forced to rescue slower units or just deploy all mounted units.

FE6 needs more smaller, yet open maps to counteract this a bit.

In terms of unit slots, I think it's fine. It's the same as the original game but has one more slot for Merlinus.

Eren and Klarine level up really, really slowly due to the lowered EXP gain from staves (especially Soothe). I think it wouldn't hurt to double the amount of EXP earned from staves

I thought this to begin with but since every other unit gains EXP slower it doesn't actually impact anything as a whole..

Soothe gives 9 EXP, but heal gives 11 (same as the original game) and mend gives more (15 EXP).

Overall, I'd actually say it's a buff to healers since as long as you're using Mend occasionally, they're actually levelling up faster compared to before while combat units are levelling slower, especially cavalry. I can definitely see Eren promoting around the same time as all your other units. Clarine will take longer, but she likely has more pay off.

Also, RES affects healing now, not Magic. Soothe has 0 base healing so it outright heals based on RES. Heal has 5 base healing. Mend is... 10-15?

@Skitty I have a question regarding Wade and Lott:

Is there a reason why Wado has more RES while Lott has more DEF?

In terms of personality/archetype, Wado is one of the last units I'd expect to have RES. While Lott's more 'serene' and calm nature means that having decent RES is a big fit for him (compared to pretty much any other axe user). While Wado is the stronger/bulkier of the two, so makes sense to have a bit more DEF.

Thoughts on this?

In my own hack some years back I think I split them like this:

Wado: +STR/LCK/DEF -SPD/RES

Lott: +SKL/SPD/RES -STR/LCK

Gonzy: +HP/STR/SPD/LCK -SKL/DEF/RES (emphasis on pitiful SKL)

Geese: Balanced all-around.

These were my stat spreads based on personality/archetype. I don't think it was that different from the original game though, just more pronounced in some areas (Lott's RES or Gonzy's stats being more extreme).

However, you may have different opinions on this.

Edited by DLuna

How do I open this? Is it meant for windows or mac? Im on windows and it click it and it wont open.

Extract the zip file to your destination of choice and then run the file named "FEGame"

i just Wanted to Tell you that im doing something for you (in the form of extending and also doing some visual fixes to the Sacae and Ilia Maps i might do some more but thats what im doing for now)

Uh

Don't bother please

Just finished playing up to the first interlude. Here are the units that I used:

1de74c3fe5.png

Roy: Pretty similar to vanilla Roy. Somewhat weak and not very durable, but not a terrible unit. I was going to use that Seraph Robe on him except I forgot and then it got stolen by a thief...

Seems pretty standard Roy, albeit with pretty good levels outside of luck(weird for him)

b59cc80fba.png

Rance: Nice well-rounded mounted unit. He reliably doubled things from the beginning and was solid in combat.

Quite a nice Rance you have there

312de76110.png

Merlinus: He has a very, very useful skill that heals adjacent allies 10 HP per turn. Saved my ass a few times when my healers were out of range.

Ah, good, it came in handy

8d50477af8.png

Eren: why does she have so much SKL Regular run-of-the-mill healer. Soothe is nice since it allows me to not burn through Heal staves.

It's a 35% growth, so you tell me lol

06cffd3a80.png

Suu: Hooooly crap. As much as she was STR-screwed, she more than made up for it. I think she procced SPD every level except for two. Paragon is great. I also really like her portrait!

Jeez Suu calm down

027ce53008.png

Klarine: Her low MAG combined with the nerf to healing staves made her somewhat of a liability, but still good enough to take along due to the high deployment cap. More on that later.

Res determines the heal from staves, not mag

dd879534ad.png

Lugh: Asvel is that you Does a good job of weakening units for others to kill. I liked his random outburst about sweat in Chapter 8x :P

It was just a thought I had so I picked someone to blurt it out haha

2589d7260c.png

Diek: Just like in the original. Kind of SPD-screwed, but the Cavalry Band patched that up nicely.

Seems everything is in order here

9c1ad00f66.png

Noah: Like Rance, very well-rounded. That personal skill makes him Noah the Undying.

Oh cool, people use Noah

af8671b54b.png

Lilina: when did Lilina become this hot She seems to have really good growths, so I've been feeding her EXP. So far it's been working out.

Pretty poor magic for her, but everything else seems pretty good.

7a997e476a.png

Wado: Decent axe bro is decent.

215f6c65a1.png

Lott: See Wado.

Both seem fine, although wado got str screwed

15e9ee2fa8.png

Astor: Much better than Shad. Thieves having 1~2 range is a massive buff, and I anticipate using him for combat along with regular thief stuff.

He might be too much better than him, will have to see about that

4c11229646.png

Marcus: should let him fly because he already floats around everywhere Good backup/protector for the first few chapters, dropped afterwards.

Standard Marco

General impressions:

• Solid map design with good faithfulness to the original - That's what I was going for, phew
  • I think the amount of units the player is allowed to deploy is too high. There were many points where most of my units were simply playing catch up to reach the next group of enemies. Maybe consider reducing the deployment cap to ~10 for the larger chapters? - The deployment slots are actually exactly the same sans ones with prep screens which provide one extra slot for merlinus or anyone you wish to bring
  • Lilina talking to Roy in Chapter 8x breaks the game - Will be fixed, another dumb spelling error
  • Some bosses were a bit too easy (the drunk Wyvern guy in Chapter 7 and Reygans to name a couple). The dude guarding the shrine in Chapter 8x was a reasonably level of difficulty - I would say Kevler is supposed to be a pushover, Reygans I had to mess with to even seem like it was fair, I didn't think he was too weak though. Hening and every gaiden chapter will be intentionally more difficult, although ch8x is actually not done(missing traps as well as other... things)
  • Eren and Klarine level up really, really slowly due to the lowered EXP gain from staves (especially Soothe). I think it wouldn't hurt to double the amount of EXP earned from staves - Everyone grows slower though, so I don't see it as that much of a problem. Perhaps I'll mess with the values, but certainly won't double them

That's all I can think of. Great work, looking forward to the next installment :)

Woohoo

Also, RES affects healing now, not Magic. Soothe has 0 base healing so it outright heals based on RES. Heal has 5 base healing. Mend is... 10-15?

Sooth is 4, Heal is 8, Mend is 15. Staves heal based on res/2

@Skitty I have a question regarding Wade and Lott:

Is there a reason why Wado has more RES while Lott has more DEF?

In terms of personality/archetype, Wado is one of the last units I'd expect to have RES. While Lott's more 'serene' and calm nature means that having decent RES is a big fit for him (compared to pretty much any other axe user). While Wado is the stronger/bulkier of the two, so makes sense to have a bit more DEF.

Thoughts on this?

In my own hack some years back I think I split them like this:

Wado: +STR/LCK/DEF -SPD/RES

Lott: +SKL/SPD/RES -STR/LCK

Gonzy: +HP/STR/SPD/LCK -SKL/DEF/RES (emphasis on pitiful SKL)

Geese: Balanced all-around.

These were my stat spreads based on personality/archetype. I don't think it was that different from the original game though, just more pronounced in some areas (Lott's RES or Gonzy's stats being more extreme).

However, you may have different opinions on this.

Literally no reason, just happened lol. They both have awful res growths so I never noticed it as an issue.

As it stands: this is the general spread(average for a brigand and a fighter are different though, keep that in mind)

Yeah, I really wouldn't imagine that Gonzo would have higher RES or that Lott would have low RES. Nor Wado having lower HP for that matter -- he's the generic meathead who would seem to have high HP/STR/DEF but poor RES. AKA Boyd from FE10.

Higher RES seems to indicate intelligence or at least a more steady/reserved demeanour. Based on that, I'd re-evaluate these stat spreads personally. But hey, depends on your interpretation on this matter.

@Chocolate Kitty Thank you for the replies. With regard to unit deployment, I realize that it is the same number of slots as in vanilla FE6 (plus Merlinus), which makes sense, so perhaps consider increasing the enemy density? This would be especially useful given how units gain EXP slower. Speaking of which, what is the reason for this? I actually like slower progression (instead of units reaching 20/20 way too easily), but if your game is going to be the same length as the original, then I imagine a lot of units will end up underleveled. Right now, I have three promotion items, but my highest level unit excluding Marcus is level 13 (Paragon Suu) and I don't anticipate promoting any of them for the forseeable future.

@Chocolate Kitty Thank you for the replies. With regard to unit deployment, I realize that it is the same number of slots as in vanilla FE6 (plus Merlinus), which makes sense, so perhaps consider increasing the enemy density? This would be especially useful given how units gain EXP slower. Speaking of which, what is the reason for this? I actually like slower progression (instead of units reaching 20/20 way too easily), but if your game is going to be the same length as the original, then I imagine a lot of units will end up underleveled. Right now, I have three promotion items, but my highest level unit excluding Marcus is level 13 (Paragon Suu) and I don't anticipate promoting any of them for the forseeable future.

Well, the enemy density would have to do with the time period the chapter is. As I stated somewhere before, FE has a bad habit of having a reverse difficulty curve, where the earlygame is much more difficult than the late game(personally, I always felt the mid game was the hardest part of any FE), so the number of enemies and their intelligence early on is low, whereas later on both will be at a higher level. There's also the fact that you can promote at level 10 for an instant boost in both power and skill accumulation, not only at level 20. So it really depends on you and what you feel like you need quickly and think you can replace later on (quick promote Barth until you build up wendi enough to function as your general, quick promote deik to get you through the early game with relative ease and keep training oiger to be your lategame Hero, etc). Many people have the notion that promoting early is bad and promoting someone you won't end up continuing to use is also bad. In GBA FE, it's a bit more difficult to do the latter, but everything post gba I'd say gives ample rewards for promoting certain characters you may not end up keeping around(Example: FE9 Oscar, FE9 Boyd, literally everyone in FE10 that promotes). Tl; dr version: try new strategies and see where you end up.

Yeah, I really wouldn't imagine that Gonzo would have higher RES or that Lott would have low RES. Nor Wado having lower HP for that matter -- he's the generic meathead who would seem to have high HP/STR/DEF but poor RES. AKA Boyd from FE10.

Higher RES seems to indicate intelligence or at least a more steady/reserved demeanour. Based on that, I'd re-evaluate these stat spreads personally. But hey, depends on your interpretation on this matter.

"High" res for gonzo is like... 25% growth. So it's still relative to the class. I think the reason I made Gonzo the Res+ one was due to his personality as a bandit with a heart of gold, but it's very possible I was just throwing distributions around to see the fireworks.

I don't know why, but when someone exceeds 100 exp, they advance to the next level, but it won't show the "Level up!" animation, nor show what stats I got, a glitch?

Edit: Level-ups show up properly now on chapter two for some odd reason.

Edit2: Nope, Roy didn't get the animation for an odd reason.

Edited by Glaceo

I think I've only seen it happen for Roy and Wolt in CH2 to CH3? Mostly CH2 though. And they get 0 stats when it happens (I think).

Well, the enemy density would have to do with the time period the chapter is. As I stated somewhere before, FE has a bad habit of having a reverse difficulty curve, where the earlygame is much more difficult than the late game(personally, I always felt the mid game was the hardest part of any FE), so the number of enemies and their intelligence early on is low, whereas later on both will be at a higher level. There's also the fact that you can promote at level 10 for an instant boost in both power and skill accumulation, not only at level 20. So it really depends on you and what you feel like you need quickly and think you can replace later on (quick promote Barth until you build up wendi enough to function as your general, quick promote deik to get you through the early game with relative ease and keep training oiger to be your lategame Hero, etc). Many people have the notion that promoting early is bad and promoting someone you won't end up continuing to use is also bad. In GBA FE, it's a bit more difficult to do the latter, but everything post gba I'd say gives ample rewards for promoting certain characters you may not end up keeping around(Example: FE9 Oscar, FE9 Boyd, literally everyone in FE10 that promotes). Tl; dr version: try new strategies and see where you end up.

Yeah promoting early can be a good boost if you need it. Although with both Markus and Jerrot it may or may not be needed and they have huge movement to boot to outperform any non-cavalry you promote.

Barth and Diek are good examples where it can be put to use.

However, you would need to add more promotion items into the game compared to the original to make this strategy more viable. Because you don't want to be wasting them for later. Or the gold you can get from them.

(It might be cool to add a new item that can only promote units at level 10-12. Can be any class and is cheaper than other promo items). Jeigan's Seal Or, there's no level limitation but lowers EXP gain and/or growths. "Lowers maturity" on the description is apt. You could get 2 or 3 of these items as a whole.

Edited by DLuna

I think I've only seen it happen for Roy and Wolt in CH2 to CH3? Mostly CH2 though. And they get 0 stats when it happens (I think).

still have no idea how that happens, and I haven't gotten it to happen to me once i started noticing and tried to fix it

Yeah promoting early can be a good boost if you need it. Although with both Markus and Jerrot it may or may not be needed and they have huge movement to boot to outperform any non-cavalry you promote.

Barth and Diek are good examples where it can be put to use.

However, you would need to add more promotion items into the game compared to the original to make this strategy more viable. Because you don't want to be wasting them for later. Or the gold you can get from them.

(It might be cool to add a new item that can only promote units at level 10-12. Can be any class and is cheaper than other promo items). Jeigan's Seal Or, there's no level limitation but lowers EXP gain and/or growths. "Lowers maturity" on the description is apt. You could get 2 or 3 of these items as a whole.

idk about the idea of another promotion item, but it seems like an interesting idea

i do plan to have more promo items though, and you can always buy them in secret shops(member card comes earlier in fe6xna)

Will promotion items be cheaper as well? I've never thought they should cost that much.

Their limitation should be availability and not gold. While weapons are the opposite.

I do also think that stat boosters should be priced differently (if that isn't done already) based on how generally useful they are.

Something like:

Dracoshield/Speedwing = 5000g.

Angelic Robe/Energy Drop = 4000g

Talisman/Secret Book/Goddess Icon = 2500g.

Secret Book and Icon should boost Skill and Luck respectively by 3 points rather than 2 points as well (unless you incorporate FE7x's stat formula changes which I think will really be a good idea to make those stats better).

Although even if Speed is nerfed (by how much evasion it gives in favor of Luck), I'd still price it the highest since attack speed is so incredibly valuable for anyone borderline doubling (Aran/Lott/Dorothea etc...).

Edited by DLuna

Not sure about promotion items, but I doubt I'll be price dropping stat boosters due to the lack of having them being sold very often. I've increased the amount of money you can accumulate so I don't think when they do show up in shops that you won't be able to spare 5000g. Changing the effect of each one though, that's a possibility.

Not sure about promotion items, but I doubt I'll be price dropping stat boosters due to the lack of having them being sold very often. I've increased the amount of money you can accumulate so I don't think when they do show up in shops that you won't be able to spare 5000g. Changing the effect of each one though, that's a possibility.

My main point really is that I doubt anyone would ever want to spend ~5000g on what essentially a +4 HIT boost to a unit (Secret Book). Even if that's buffed to +6 HIT (yay -- you get to land an extra attack out of 20). That value is really really low. To the point where even 2500g is a hefty amount when you can spend on pretty much anything else. Like a Silver weapon at some point.

(As a side note, I had to reduce the Secret Book down to 1500g for it to be a considerable buy in FE10:R -- and that game has tons of skills that proc based on SKL).

Talisman is the hardest to value because I don't really know how common you're making mages. But then you run the risk of having too many to fight which could be really annoying since they all have 1-2 range.

That's why I also advocate a magic type that is 1-range only. Dark magic might be a good fit if you gave Dark casters much more DEF and MAG (like ~magical armor knights~). Then you can make magic units appear more often while being less annoying -- and you then make the RES stat more useful as a result.

The magic triangle could be buffed as well. To be +/-3 MT rather than +/-1 MT. Because magic users don't really do much damage to eachother at all and this actually makes the triangle somewhat relevant. Someone like Lugh doesn't remotely care about targeting a thunder mage when he'll be a lot more effective attacking a physical unit. This can change that somewhat.

Edited by DLuna

Looks nice.

Having enemies from only seemingly one direction might be a bit odd for a defend map though, as typically they require you to tackle enemies from multiple angles (being pincered) for a bit more nuance (You could stretch the map a few more tiles to the right and have fliers pop in from there?).

Either way, as long as you cannot powerhouse the map and have to make smart usage of defensive units, then it's a thumbs up from me.

Looks nice.

Having enemies from only seemingly one direction might be a bit odd for a defend map though, as typically they require you to tackle enemies from multiple angles (being pincered) for a bit more nuance (You could stretch the map a few more tiles to the right and have fliers pop in from there?).

Either way, as long as you cannot powerhouse the map and have to make smart usage of defensive units, then it's a thumbs up from me.

it is in both directions, just not initially

which i have deemed a bit unfair as of... 45 minutes ago

so...!

Are you planning the same number of chapters as the original FE6?

Based on the new CH9 teased I'm imagine there's more.

On that subject I think it would also be a good idea if some of the bigger maps were split into two as well. Such as CH21 (First map a defend against Gale and his flood of Wyverns -- then a second that's the standard siege against Murdock). I think Gale just deserves to be a main boss rather than a secondary one as well.

An extra map inside the Dragon shrine would be nice as well (splitting Yahn's map or just reworking it altogether). However, there's is potential for lots of mini-maps like Radiant Dawn. I always liked that about FE10 -- it makes the endgame feel appropriately meaty as opposed to feeling filler. And allows you to really diversify what you're dealing with.

And while it's doubtful (not sure what Skitty is planning -- spoilers?), there's potential for a Roy/Guinevere split for Ilia/Sacae just so it makes sense that you retrieve both the respective legendary weapons. Rather than someone like Jodel just conventionally getting it. You would split your army like FE10 does in part 4. If that were the case, might be a good idea to cut out a chapter on both sides though.

Plus it makes sense that Roy would actually want to go to both territories and not just one. Why would he liberate just one at the flip of a coin? He can't be at two places at once -- but why couldn't he send someone powerful like Percival/Douglas/Jerrot (with an army at hand) to take the other side?

Edited by DLuna