FE6xna

Chocolate Kitty

This game is really great, and I've enjoyed every bit of it when it's been working well, but twice now the game has crashed completely. Is there anyway around this? Right now I'm on the Ch. 5: The Emblem of Fire. The message I get is "FEGame has stopped working, A problem caused the program to stop working correctly." Am I missing a .dll file or something? Also, I don't have much time tonight, so if anyone responds, I probably won't be back on until tomorrow morning.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't give me the error message, tell me exactly what you did/give me your save file(the error message tells nothing unfortunately).

Although I feel like this is related to the rain thing, which happens to some people and not others, I still have no idea what's going on with that

I don't know exactly what to say, I was moving my units like normal, I just finished moving my last unit, so the game was shifting phases, and then it crashed. It is raining though. You said other people have been having an issue while its raining, so it might be related to that. Also, I'm near the end of the level, if that helps. I don't know if unit position has an effect on the error or not, but I'm not sure what could be causing it. Interestingly, the error does create an additional text document, which I think is saying what went wrong in the files.

There weren't multiple errors recorded on the exception doc. It just repeats the same one every time I try to resume. At this point, should I just restart the level and hope for the best?

Also, sorry for sounding like an idiot, but which file in the folder is the save file?

exception.log

13 minutes ago, Bob of the A said:

Also, sorry for sounding like an idiot, but which file in the folder is the save file?

Documents->SavedGames->FEGame-> follow the rabbit hole

Your 7x saves should be around there as well. It does seem like a somewhat random place to store them.

Edited by deranger

16 minutes ago, deranger said:

Documents->SavedGames->FEGame-> follow the rabbit hole

Your 7x saves should be around there as well. It does seem like a somewhat random place to store them.

Thanks. I think these are the relevant files. Not 100% sure which you need, so they're all here.

1.sav

1map_save.sav

1suspend.sav

Edited by Bob of the A
word error

Damn, I still can't get that error to work; everytime it just doesn't end up crashing for me

also fyi, due to a few internal changes, I think most existing save files will be corrupted so restarting may be necessary

nevermind i got it working

very odd bug, must say

Edited by Chocolate Kitty
I DON'T NEED A REASON

Alright, now there's a full playthrough of the current version of this game, which can be found here. If for whatever reason you're interested in the game but don't want to play it, you can watch this. Be aware that it contains some strong opinions and me playing terribly.

1 hour ago, Chocolate Kitty said:

Damn, I still can't get that error to work; everytime it just doesn't end up crashing for me

also fyi, due to a few internal changes, I think most existing save files will be corrupted so restarting may be necessary

nevermind i got it working

very odd bug, must say

Thanks for looking into it. Should I restart the level or start a new game completely?

Technically a new game but after i release a fix(because of the internal changes as well); sadly I've done a lot of heavy editing that will result in weird inventories, or just flat out crash with old saves
did manage to figure out why the problem happened/how to fix it though

1 minute ago, Chocolate Kitty said:

Technically a new game but after i release a fix(because of the internal changes as well); sadly I've done a lot of heavy editing that will result in weird inventories, or just flat out crash with old saves
did manage to figure out why the problem happened/how to fix it though

Cool! It would be nice if I didn't lose my data, but there wasn't that much there anyway. I'm just glad to be playing the game. Thanks again for making this awesome game!

Any insight on this exception? It's happening at the end of the Chapter 7 opening cutscene.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at MonoGame.Framework.Audio.SoundEffectInstance..ctor(SoundEffect parent) in c:\Users\Eric\Documents\FEXNA Beta\FEXNA LIBRARIES\MonoGame-audio\MonoGame.Framework\Desktop\Audio\SoundEffectInstance.cs:line 144
   at FEXNA.Services.Audio.Audio_Engine.(String )
   at FEXNA.Services.Audio.Audio_Engine.(String , Boolean , Boolean )
   at FEXNA.Services.Audio.Audio_Engine.update_bgm_fade()
   at FEXNA.Services.Audio.Audio_Engine.()
   at FEXNA.Services.Audio.Audio_Engine.Audio_Service.update()
   at .Update(GameTime )
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
   at .(String[] )

DLuna, I'd like to comment on the "Merge the Magic buff of Fire into it's might", thing with an observation:

Staves are used, not equipped. If a Sage with a Heal staff used said staff while equipped with a Bolganone tome, he would heal 3 more HP because of the Magic buff. Just a note, figured maybe that could factor into the Fire line's balancing.

38 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

DLuna, I'd like to comment on the "Merge the Magic buff of Fire into it's might", thing with an observation:

Staves are used, not equipped. If a Sage with a Heal staff used said staff while equipped with a Bolganone tome, he would heal 3 more HP because of the Magic buff. Just a note, figured maybe that could factor into the Fire line's balancing.

RES boosts healing in this game. 1/2 of RES is converted to bonus healing. 

Which is nice because it helps make RES more important and makes it so that say, Lilina isn't a better healer than Eren/Klarine or something.

It does increase staff range. But within that context it would make far more sense for Light Magic. It's far from thematic to have Sages having a boost to staff range rather than Bishops.

On that note, I think it would be cool if Eren's personal skill was staff range related. Maybe she can use healing staves with 1-2 range (but with 33% less effectiveness at 2 range?). Or maybe that could be a level 5-10 Bishop skill or something.

Then Klarine can possibly get a personal skill that allows her to canto after using staves (I'm personally really fond of this idea in particular).

This secures them as the premier healers even after they promote. It's always really lame when the pre-promotes or other magi just end up becoming healers as good as the dedicated healers you've had for the first 15-20 maps of the game... Staff rank aside which usually isn't even a big deal especially for pre-promotes.

On a similar note, Cecilia should be far more combat oriented than healer. She is the 'Mage General' after all (you wouldn't think that means "healbot")

Edited by DLuna

Err...

Okay, I'll confess, I've never messed around with files too much, I need some help opening this thing.

I've got the .zip unpacked, I see all the individual files in it (FEGame.exe and so on), but what do I press to begin playing the game? I've tried selecting FEGame.exe and then clicking File, then underneath that selecting Open, but it didn't work. Help, anyone?

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

Err...

Okay, I'll confess, I've never messed around with files too much, I need some help opening this thing.

I've got the .zip unpacked, I see all the individual files in it (FEGame.exe and so on), but what do I press to begin playing the game? I've tried selecting FEGame.exe and then clicking File, then underneath that selecting Open, but it didn't work. Help, anyone?

Did you install both: .NET framework 4.6 and XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0?

I'm honestly shocked you care about the most forgettable character and the most pointless character but

if you looked at the cast list I posted recently, they're both on it, so...

Apologies for the lack of replies; a lot of behind the scenes work. Ch6 has a new map, ch5, ch7, and ch8 are all candidates for new ones as well.

As per the many changes, it's unfortunately recommended to start over from chapter 1(I know, sounds like one of my rom hacks), due to the massive overhaul I'm giving the chapters. Hopefully by the next release(probably mid february), chapter 9 will be included in the release.

7 hours ago, Chocolate Kitty said:

I'm honestly shocked you care about the most forgettable character and the most pointless character but

Apologies for the lack of replies; a lot of behind the scenes work. Ch6 has a new map, ch5, ch7, and ch8 are all candidates for new ones as well.

As per the many changes, it's unfortunately recommended to start over from chapter 1(I know, sounds like one of my rom hacks), due to the massive overhaul I'm giving the chapters. Hopefully by the next release(probably mid february), chapter 9 will be included in the release.

CH5 is mostly fine IMO. Just make sure you make the player aware of the door. Maybe also take the boss away from the seize point and make the map 'Kill Boss' as well. The boss charges you after a certain number of turns (and maybe opens the dor himself past a certain point). Rain could be removed as well.

CH7 might just need to be made a bit smaller overall -- and less houses to visit. Otherwise I feel it's fine.

I'm surprised that CH8 was not changed before CH6 (although I'd agree that both need changing). No amount of door/chest keys will make CH8 faster or less tedious. And there are some simple fixes for CH6, like Cath spawning differently or Sue automatically joining the army when you open her cell (then Roy simply talks to her after map end). Or giving the player an unlock staff before the map starts which can also open chests.

That said, I've always thought CH6 had huge potential to be a defend map where you start at the centre of the map. It's only 6 or 7 turns to survive and getting all the treasure is actually difficult as opposed to just tedious. It makes sense from a scenario standpoint as well since Wagner has essentially ambushed you. Would be a fitting map for fog of war as well (instead of CH5) by Thria turning off light sources to execute said ambush (it's kinda stupid IMO that Wagner just outright goes up to Roy and explains/reveals his plan like a generic evil villain-- he could be a bit more subtle?). Just a good ol' defend map with incentives for extra objectives to meet (treasure). 

But for all I know you could have done something like that. Interested to see what you've made of it.

44 minutes ago, DLuna said:

CH5 is mostly fine IMO. Just make sure you make the player aware of the door. Maybe also take the boss away from the seize point and make the map 'Kill Boss' as well. The boss charges you after a certain number of turns (and maybe opens the dor himself past a certain point). Rain could be removed as well.

The issue with ch5 imo is the fact that it's pretty pointless of a chapter overall; it's a random bandit chapter in the middle of everything.

CH7 might just need to be made a bit smaller overall -- and less houses to visit. Otherwise I feel it's fine.

Yeah ch7 isn't planning to get much, it's just due to being partially ch8 it automatically needs things changed.

I'm surprised that CH8 was not changed before CH6 (although I'd agree that both need changing). No amount of door/chest keys will make CH8 faster or less tedious. And there are some simple fixes for CH6, like Cath spawning differently or Sue automatically joining the army when you open her cell (then Roy simply talks to her after map end). Or giving the player an unlock staff before the map starts which can also open chests.

Ch6 only got the map first because I thought of something for it; ch8 needs it more than ch6

That said, I've always thought CH6 had huge potential to be a defend map where you start at the centre of the map. It's only 6 or 7 turns to survive and getting all the treasure is actually difficult as opposed to just tedious. It makes sense from a scenario standpoint as well since Wagner has essentially ambushed you. Would be a fitting map for fog of war as well (instead of CH5) by Thria turning off light sources to execute said ambush (it's kinda stupid IMO that Wagner just outright goes up to Roy and explains/reveals his plan like a generic evil villain-- he could be a bit more subtle?). Just a good ol' defend map with incentives for extra objectives to meet (treasure). 

That is an idea, although a defend map doesn't make much sense given the sense of urgency to get to Ostia (I turned it into an escape chapter)

But for all I know you could have done something like that. Interested to see what you've made of it.

bolded replies

9 minutes ago, Chocolate Kitty said:

That is an idea, although a defend map doesn't make much sense given the sense of urgency to get to Ostia (I turned it into an escape chapter)

It would be 'Survive' moreso than 'Defend' (and an escape mechanic could work for this) I mean you're not exactly 'defending' Thria; that's not the context. You're surrounded by a lot of units (possibly in darkness, which would make complete sense to cripple Roy's army). So "urgency" isn't really a factor when you're trapped.

It's an odd map because it makes sense to Roy to just leave rather than stay and fight -- in the original map he isn't even surrounded and starts at what looked to be the entrance. So the urgency thing makes even less sense when you're not trying to outright survive (especially when you;re spending 10+ turns gathering chests...).

Cath could be strongly incorporated into this. She could actually be the one to lay out your escape route after X turns, but then goes to nab chests herself. But then you only have X turns to escape (before ostian/bernese reinforcements arrive and it's game over -- with Wagner trapping you entirely for this purpuse; stalling until they arrive) so you need to balance between competing for treasure and escaping before the turn count. 

Edited by DLuna

3 minutes ago, DLuna said:

It's an odd map because it makes sense to Roy to just leave rather than stay and fight -- in the original map he isn't even surrounded and starts at what looked to be the entrance. So the urgency thing makes even less sense when you're not trying to outright survive (especially when you;re spending 10+ turns gathering chests...).

Agreed, the beginning it looks like he shows up at thria then decides to fight through it instead of just... leaving? Roy gets distracted easily

On 1/31/2017 at 1:49 AM, Chocolate Kitty said:

Karel is my favorite character in the FE6-7 timeline so yeah he doesnt add much to the story but hes still a fan favorite. And I always use garret as a unit when i do an fe6 playthrough. I just really enjoy their characters

There's a lot of potential in how you implement Karel TBH. He's the closest thing a Gotoh unit and should have auto-recruitment as a result, as well as a far more eventful way of joining you and/or inclusion. Plus, it's always nice to have a backup/strong unit-- since I imagine the lategame is going to be far more difficult/longer now. I suppose he's far more classified as a Renault though. 

Otherwise, I've always liked the idea of Pent showing up as Athos 2.0. That could really work as well. (and makes for a good backup Forblaze/Apocalypse/Aureola user if you do not have all three). His kids are fighting the main threat of the world. Where's he at? (being that he's one of the most powerful casters in Elibe).

Garret is w/e. However, pre-promotes have their place. If you do not recruit Bartre then Garret's existence is fairly valid.