Between the Dreamworlds: Savers of the Apocalypse - Sign-in

Enaluxeme

You probably already read the other thread, so I'll cut it short in the presentation department.

For the sign-in form, we'll need the following:

• Name (+surname and nicknames)
  • Work of fiction the character cames from
  • Physical description (an image is well accepted)
  • Short summary of the character's personality
  • Short summary of the character's backstory
  • Short summary of the character's powers and abilities (with emphasis on the ones most used by the character)
As you noticed, there's nothing regarding actual stats. Once the character is accepted, well create their stat sheet together, including usable skills and unique characteristics, based on the character's work of fiction and the description of their abilities. Once every character is accepted, we'll do a quick revision of every sheet for balancing purposes before starting out.

Now, for the explanation of the basic system.

Each character will always have these stats:

• Health Points: the amount of damage the character can withstand. When the HP go under zero, the character becomes unconscious. If the HP go under -50% of the maximum value, the character is destroyed and won't be usable anymore.
  • Strength: increases the damage done by physical skills. Note that some skills (usually associated with magical weapons) are still influenced by strength but cause magical damage.
  • Spirit: increases the damage done by magical and other non-physical skills. KI based skills are usually influenced by spirit but cause physical damage.
  • Defense: mitigates physical damage received.
  • Resistance: mitigates magical damage received.
  • Speed: determines turn order and evasion.
  • Accuracy: influences the accuracy of offensive skills.
Most characters will have an additional stat in the likes of mana points to limit skill use (those character will usually have higher stats to compensate and/or a way to replenish their "fuel stat").

Strength, spirit, defense and resistance are directly added and subctracted to the base damage of the used skill. The same goes for accuracy and speed, used to determine the final chance of the attack hitting.

As for turn order, that's slightly more complicated.

Each character has a turn count that goes from 1 to 100. Each character's speed stat is added to their turn count until someone reaces 100. When somebody reaches 100 or more, it's their turn: after that, their turn count goes back to 0 plus any overflow from reaching 100. If two characters reach 100 together, the one with the most overflow will go first, if they also have the same overflow the one with the higher speed will go first, and if they also have the same speed the enemy will go before a PC, and don't worry about any other possible coincidence because we'll just make sure that that won't happen ò_ò (or, you know, we'll just go random)

Example:

Character A has 21 speed, Character B has 36 speed and Character C has 24 speed.

A: 21/100 B: 34/100 C: 24/100

A: 42/100 B: 68/100 C: 48/100

A: 63/100 B: 102/100 C: 72/100 turn of B

A: 84/100 B: 36/100 C: 96/100

A: 105/100 B: 60/100 C: 120/100 turn of C

A: 105/100 B: 60/100 C: 20/100 turn of A

A: 26/100 B: 94/100 C: 44/100

A: 47/100 B: 128/100 C: 68/100 turn of B

A: 68/100 B: 62/100 C: 92/100

A: 89/100 B: 96/100 C: 116/100 turn of C

A: 110/100 B: 130/100 C: 40/100 turn of B

A: 110/100 B: 30/100 C: 40/100 turn of A

Other mechanics:

Mana Points: Mana Points are totally recovered when resting out of combat.

Ammo Points: Ammo Points are totally recovered between battles.

Energy Points: Energy Points reset to half the maximum value between battles. Each time a character hits an enemy with an offensive skill, they gain 1 Energy Point.

Heat Points: Heat Points reset to 10 between battles. Each time a character hits an enemy with an offensive skill, they gain 1 Heat Point.

Rescuing: during their turn, a character can rescue an unconcious ally instead of using active skills. A rescued character is completely removed from the battle.

Anti-lock: after recovering from sleep and stun, the character gains a bonus resistance to the recovered debuff equal to 30%. The bonus decreases by 5% each turn.

Edited by Enaluxeme

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally the sign-up thread is up, huh.

I'll consider it. Though I would first see if this gets other people joining in before doing so as well.

Could we get any sort of context for skill and attack base damage, stat values as a whole, and how character stats are determined?

For the actual numbers of stats, I'll be mostly arbitrary at firsn, then adjust accordingly to characters already done. What I can say for certain is that stats will be in double digit and will mostly go from 20 to 40 (accuracy excluded), while base damage of skills will be lower, probably going from 0 to 20 and having minimum and maximum value insted of a single one. To be more clear, here's an example:

Name: Quick thrust
Type: Physical, melee
Base damage: 5-6
Base accuracy: 95
Special effect: none

Name: Commander John Shepard, Systems Alliance Navy

Work of Fiction: Mass Effect

Physical Description: buzzed brown hair, blue eyes, stands about 5'11, early 40s.

Personality: Varies from extremely charitable to borderline insane, depending on the situation presented to him.

Background: Born in the slums of an unnamed city on Earth in the 2140s, Commander Shepard was raised by the streets. When he was old enough to enlist, he did, earning high accolades in training, going on to pass the N7 Commando Training course. In 2176, he fought off a Thresher Maw that had wiped out all but 1 member of his squad on the planet Akuze, during the Battles of Elysium and Torfan. 7 years later, he was shadowed as a candidate for the Spectres, working alongside the Spectre Nihlus on Eden Prime. However, Nihlus was killed by Saren, a veteran Spectre under the influence of Sovereign, a member of a half-organic, half synthetic race called the Reapers. Saren was later defeated by Shepard on the Citadel Station, but the threat of the Reapers remained, as did the threat of Cerberus, a splinter cell of an Alliance black operation. Cerberus aided Shepard in taking down the Collectors, a group of genetically modified Protheans repurposed by Harbinger, the first and largest Reaper, to synthesize human tissue into a Reaper. However, Cerberus recovered assets from their base in a bid to bend the Reapers to their will. After a period of grounding by the Alliance, Shepard resumed duty when the Reapers invaded the Milky Way. After many setbacks and failures, an immensely powerful weapon called the Crucible was wielded by Shepard against the Reapers. In the process, Shepard was thought to have been killed.

Powers and abilities: Shepard has an array of ballistic weapons available to him, such as submachine guns, pistols, assault rifles, sniper rifles, shotguns, and heavy weaponry, as well as weapon attachments, various ammo types, technological weapons, and reality-bending abilities called Biotics (compare to entropy magic).

I never played Mass Effect, but that's not a problem. It seems like you have choosen the default Shepard. I personally like the personality: you aren't specifically going for paragon or renegade, but both. That seems to be fun to play with!

Just one thing, tho: while Shepard is allowed to use many types of weapons, I seem to recall that there's a class system granting proficiency in certain weapon types.

Also, I need to know if Crucible belongs to Shepard or if he probably had to give it back at the end of the mission/service.

I never played Mass Effect, but that's not a problem. It seems like you have choosen the default Shepard. I personally like the personality: you aren't specifically going for paragon or renegade, but both. That seems to be fun to play with!

Just one thing, tho: while Shepard is allowed to use many types of weapons, I seem to recall that there's a class system granting proficiency in certain weapon types.

Also, I need to know if Crucible belongs to Shepard or if he probably had to give it back at the end of the mission/service.

The Crucible was a doomsday weapon that was about the size of the Death Star that used the Mass Relays to destroy, control, or synthesize the Reapers, and it literally costs him his life to use it. As for the classes, I am going with Soldier Shepard with all the default powers from all 3 games at max rank. Also, Can Shepard have the ability to switch weapons mid-battle? I mentioned tech and biotics in case you allowed Shepard to be one of the stronger characters... which you probably won't do because at the end of the day, Shepard is a regular guy that just happens to be just crazy enough to singlehandedly save an otherwise doomed timeline/universe.

Name: Thyme

Work of fiction the character cames from: Eorzea (Final Fantasy XIV)

Physical description: Thyme is a woman of a bit short stature and a full head of long, red, hair. She isn't some gaudy person with long-flowing robes or anything as she is a battle-mage first and foremost and having delicate silks and flammable thread designs is just begging to be turned into a funeral pyre. Instead she wears clothes of arcane nature colored with a reddish design (signifying her primary element) and several small pieces of leather armor worked in to seem like a formal battle suit, if a bit wobbly.

Short summary of the character's personality: Thyme is impulsive, hot-headed, and a bit ignorant, but not stupid. She follows the rules (don't want to blow yourself up with a spell after all), does her best to respect the chain of command and authority (teachers care for us and don't want us blowing ourselves up with spells!), and is eager to learn.

Short summary of the character's backstory: Eorzea is a world still struggling to pull itself back together. Things have not been pretty over the past few years. Between an invasion by the Garlean Empire, having their world shredded apart by Bahamut, massive political coups, a further invasion and turmoil by things like dragons, the eternal threat of primal spirits like Ifrit, Titan, and even the Knights now looming overhead... things were not pretty. Thankfully there was some hope as Hydaelyn, the mother crystal, had chosen a select few to be possessed with the echo of light. Thyme, a young black mage student, was one of these.

Picking herself up by the bootstraps while still studying in Ul'Dah she has set out on a quest guided by the mother crystal to help save Eorzea, Hydaelyn, and fight the encroaching darkness of Zodiark itself.

Short summary of the character's powers and abilities: Thyme, a black mage, is capable with the standard black magic spells. The most iconic, fire and blizzard, throw her into duel-states of both Astral Fire (increases fire damage by 50/75/90~% but increases the cost as well) and Umbral Ice (which decreases damage but drastically enhances MP regeneration to compensate). With a variety of other spells at her command (such as scathe) or potentially possible in her future should she seek to learn other schools of magic, she has room to grow.

Additionally Thyme contains within her the 'Echo'. It's powers are not 100% known as of now but it does allow the person to be immune to being 'tempered' (basically mind-control. Sort of.) by many of the dangerous beings, see at least some events from the past (though this cannot be controlled), and universal understanding of all languages.

Edited by Snowy_One

Ok then, since he's a soldier he'll have good health, some health regen and average stats but no techs or biotics (I'm getting all the infos from the wikia page on the soldier class).

Health Points: 125
Ammo Points: 10
Strength: 32
Spirit: 13
Defense: 32
Resistance: 26
Speed: 30
Accuracy: +15

Active Skills:

Name: Basic Gunshot
Type: Physical, Ranged
Base damage: 9-10
Base accuracy: 90
Special effect: none
Name: Concussive Shot
Base damage: 6-9
Base accuracy: 80
Cost: 1 Ammo Point
Special effect: 45% debuff chance: Stun (target won't be able to use any active skill in the next turn. Target's Evasion becomes 0). Can't be used consecutively.
Name: Incendiary Shot
Type: Magical, Fire, Ranged
Base damage: 4-7
Special effect: damage is increased by Strength rather than Spirit. 45% debuff chance: Burn (target will lose 10 Health Points at the start of their turn, for 3 turns; is removed if hit by Ice skills). Can't be used consecutively.
Name: Cryo Shot
Type: Magical, Ice, Ranged
Base damage: 4-7
Special effect: damage is increased by Strength rather than Spirit. 30% debuff chance: Frozen (target loses 20 speed and gets double physical damage until their next turn; is removed if hit by Fire skills). Can't be used consecutively.
Name: Disruptor Shot
Base damage: 7-10
Special effect: Ignores target's buffs to Defense. Can't be used consecutively.
Name: Getting Close
Type: Other
Special effect: buff: +20 Speed until next turn. This buff is ignored when calculating Evasion. Shepard can't change weapon during his next turn.
Name: Point Blank Shot
Type: Physical, Melee
Base damage: 8-11
Special effect: can only be used after "Getting Close". 45% debuff chance: Shock (target's turn count is decreased by half of Shepard's strength).
Name: Accurate Aiming
Special effect: buff: +15 Speed until next turn. This buff is ignored when calculating Evasion. Shepard can't change weapon during his next turn.
Name: Sniping Shot
Base damage: 12-13
Base accuracy: 120
Special effect: can only be used after "Accurate Aiming".
Name: Frag Grenade
Base damage: 10-15
Base accuracy: 85
Cost: 3 Ammo Points
Special effect: targets all enemies. Ignores Weapon Change bonuses.
Name: Take Cover
Special effect: buff: Shepard gets 30 bonus evasion when targeted by Ranged skills. Is removed if Shepard uses "Getting Close" or a Melee skill.
Passive skills:
Name: Regeneration
Special effect: Shepard recovers 5 Health Points at the start of his turn.
Name: First Aid
Special effect: healing skills with limited uses used by Shepard are 50% more effective.
Quirk: Weapon Change. Shepard may equip a different gun at the start of his turn, changing his stats and granting bonuses. He may choose between those weapons:
  • M-3 Predator: debuffs have +30% chance of being applied to the target.
  • M-8 Avenger: -6 strength, -1 speed, -5 accuracy. Each ranged skill is activated twice (on the same target).
  • M-23 Katana: +6 strength, -3 speed, -5 accuracy. The skill "Point Blank Shot" does double base damage.
  • M-92 Mantis: +4 strength, -6 speed, +20 accuracy. The buff granted by the skill "Accurate Aiming" becomes "+30 speed until next turn. This buff is ignored when calculating evasion. Shepard can't change weapon during his next turn".
Edited by Enaluxeme

Okay, I've decided, I'm joining this as well.

I suppose its fine if its an OC from a pre-existing setting? Not sure I want to use a pre-existing character. Would be easier with just an OC...
Edited by Acacia Sgt

That is good. Will there be armories so that I can change loadouts later on? Also, will you gauge my comments as Shepard as Paragon or Renegade?

I'm gonna be pretty liberal with weaponry: while there is no general equip mechanic, you are free to take whatever you find with you. In your case it means you can take any gun you find and it will be just another Weapon Change option.

I don't think the paragon/renegade thing is necessary in a RP... There are no AI controlled NPC that need a way to judge you. You can be a good Shepard or a bad Shepard and other players will treat you differently on their own (and also npc I guess, but you'll continuously meet new one so they probably won't know you).

Okay, I've decided, I'm joining this as well.

I suppose its fine if its an OC from a pre-existing setting? Not sure I want to use a pre-existing character. Would be easier with just an OC...

That is perfectly ok. The down-side of choosing pre-existing characters is that they usually have their personality set in stone. To fix this you can make an OC or choose a non-developed background character (or, you know, choose a player-sobstitute like Shepard).

I'll make a skype group later so we can be faster and more coordinated during turnless non-combat play. Also, if someone has something to say about their character's stats you are welcome to.

Ah, okay. I wasn't gonna ask at first, but then seeing the entries and it kinda made me want to do it, as a just in case.

Anyway...

*Name: Ricardo Langley

*Work of Origin: OC character, but from the setting of "Hero Senki - Project Olympus"

*Appearance: 5'10'' in height, of average build. Black hair and eyes. Has a scar on left cheek. Normal clothing consist of brown shoes, jeans, black shirt, and brown jacket.

*Personality: Friendly disposition, if a little laid back. Leans more to reactive than proactive, but sometimes it doesn't take long to motivate him.

*Backstory: Born and raised in Granada City, on the Crown Continent. His parents work at Anaheim Electronics, in the development of Mobile Suits. Since young he had gained a fascinating with MS's, and eventually landed a job at Anaheim as well, as a tester. With the rise in terrorism across Elpis, he began to think that there was more he could do. When things came to a head during what was dubbed the "Neo Axis Uprising*", he thought the time was now. As such, he soon found himself applying to join the ZEUS taskforce. Though Neo Axis had been defeated, remmant members that had not yet given up were still causing trouble. As such, his first mission involved hunting down Neo Axis remmants north of the Crown Continent. But unknown to him, fate would have other plans...

*Powers: As a once tester in Anaheim, he has used various MS cores. However, the one he ended up obtaining for personal use is a Gundam mk III core. Composed mainly of Gundarium Alloy, and an direct upgrade to the Gundam mk II, the Gundam mk III was built for mobility. It carries standard equipment consisting of a shield, two beam sabers, and a beam rifle. In addition, it also contains two beam cannons, mounted over each shoulder, so as to free the hands from using them. In addition, being a NewType, he has a heightened mental sense. When not suited up, he uses a handgun and knife.

As a clarification, despite Hero Senki being a crossover work that includes Gundam, the Mobile Suits don't actually appear as mechas. But rather, they function more like Powered Armor (though they materialize on the user from a device instead of being put on, like in Super Sentai shows and others of its kind).

Here's more detailed info of the Gundam mk III (though most of the stuff like it's history wouldn't apply for a Hero Senki background). Also to show its appearance, though again, for this it would look more human-proportioned since it's an actual suit, not a mecha. If changing equipment is a thing... well, I'll see to that later.

I could probably already say something about how the whole thing could translate gameplay-wise... but, well, I'd rather see first what's what and then suggest.

YES! I so wanted someone playing as a transformer or a mecha pilot for an idea I had :D

Anyway, working on Thyme.

Health Points: 90
Mana Points: 150
Strength: 11
Spirit: 31
Defense: 24
Resistance: 35
Speed: 28
Accuracy: +20

Active Skills:

Name: Fire
Base damage: 4-8
Cost: 15 Mana Points
Special Effect: 25% debuff chance: Burn (target will lose 10 Health Points at the start of their turn, for 3 turns; is removed if hit by Ice skills).
Name: Blizzard
Base damage: 4-6
Cost: 8 Mana Points
Special Effect: 40% debuff chance: Frozen (target loses 20 speed and gets double physical damage until their next turn; is removed if hit by Fire skills).
Name: Thunder
Type: Magical, Electric, Ranged
Base damage: 2-3
Cost: 10 Mana Points
Special Effect: 55% debuff chance: Stun (target won't be able to use any active skill in the next turn. Target's Evasion becomes 0).
Name: Scathe
Type: Magical, Ranged
Base damage: 8-10
Cost: 12 Mana Points
Special Effect: none.
Name: Freeze
Base damage: 4-6
Cost: 24 Mana Points
Special Effect: targets all enemies. 30% debuff chance: Frozen (target loses 20 speed and gets double physical damage until their next turn; is removed if hit by Fire skills). Can't be used consecutively.
Name: Flare
Base damage: 8-12
Cost: 45 Mana Points
Special Effect: targets all enemies. 15% debuff chance: Burn (target will lose 10 Health Points at the start of their turn, for 3 turns; is removed if hit by Ice skills). Can't be used consecutively.
Name: Convert
Cost: 20 Health Points
Special Effect: restore 50 Mana Points.
Name: Manaward
Special Effect: buff: increase target's Resistance by 7 for 3 of their turns.
Name: Manawall
Cost: 20 Mana Points
Special Effect: buff: increase target's Defense by 10 for 3 of their turns.
Name: Sharpcast
Cost: 10 Mana Points
Special Effect: buff: +5 Speed until next turn. This buff is ignored when calculating Evasion. During her next turn, Thyme has +50% chance of applying a debuff to an enemy.
Name: Enochian
Special Effect: can only be used while not in Tranquility status. Buff: during her next turn, Thyme's skills deal +50% base damage.
Name: Umbral Blizzard
Base damage: 16-18
Base accuracy: 100
Cost: 50 Mana Points
Special Effect: 50% debuff chance: Frozen (target loses 20 speed and gets double physical damage until their next turn; is removed if hit by Fire skills). Can only be used after Enochian.
Name: Astral Fire
Base damage: 16-20
Base accuracy: 100
Cost: 55 Mana Points
Special Effect: 35% debuff chance: Burn (target will lose 10 Health Points at the start of their turn, for 3 turns; is removed if hit by Ice skills). Can only be used after Enochian.
Name: Waiting
Special Effect: Thyme recovers 5 Mana Points.
Passive Skills:
Name: Echo Barrier
Special Effect: immune to Confusion status. +10% resistance to Stun and Silence status.
Quirk: Astral Fire and Umbral Ice. Thyme is always in one of the following status:
  • Tranquility: if Thyme uses an Ice skill while in Astral Fire or Astral Fire II status, switch to this status. If Thyme uses a Fire skill while in Umbral Ice or Umbral Ice II status, switch to this status. Thyme recovers 5 Mana Points at the start of her turn.
  • Astral Fire: if Thyme uses a Fire skill while in Tranquility status, switch to this status. Fire skills deal +25% base damage. Mana Cost for Fire skills is doubled. Mana cost for Ice skills is halved.
  • Astral Fire II: if Thyme uses a Fire skill while in Astral Fire Status, switch to this status. Fire skills deal +50% base damage. Mana Cost for Fire skills is doubled. Mana cost for Ice skills is halved.
  • Umbral Ice: if Thyme uses an Ice skill while in Tranquility status, switch to this status. Thyme recovers 10 Mana Points at the start of her turn. Fire skills deal -50% base damage.
  • Umbral Ice II: if Thyme uses an Ice skill while in Umbral Ice status, switch to this status. Thyme recovers 20 Mana Points at the start of her turn. Fire skills deal -50% base damage.

And that's it. I'm sure some numbers will need tweaking later on, but this will do for now.

Edited by Enaluxeme

It's the cyber-onesie character's turn!

Health Points: 110
Energy Points: 100
Strength: 30
Spirit: 14
Defense: 25
Resistance: 25
Speed: 34
Accuracy: +10

Active Skills:

Name: Shoulder Cannons
Base damage: 6-12
Cost: 8 Energy Points
Special Effect: only usable in Suit On status. Damage is increased by Strength rather than Spirit. Ricardo can use another Active Skill after this, except "Wing Jet".
Name: Wing Jet
Cost: 8 Energy Points
Special Effect: only usable in Suit On status. Buff: +20 Speed until next turn. Ricardo can use another Active Skill after this, except "Shoulder Cannons".
Name: Beam Rifle
Base damage: 11-14
Cost: 6 Energy Points
Special Effect: only usable in Suit On status. Damage is increased by Strength rather than Spirit.
Name: Beam Sabers
Type: Magical, Melee
Base damage: 12-16
Cost: 4 Energy Points
Special Effect: only usable in Suit On status. Damage is increased by Strength rather than Spirit. Removes "Shield Up" buff.
Name: Shield Bash
Base damage: 8-10
Special Effect: only usable in Suit On status. Only usable when under "Shield Up" buff. 25% debuff chance: Shock (target's turn count is decreased by half of Ricardo's strength).
Name: Shield Up
Special Effect: only usable in Suit On status. Buff: +5 Defense and +3 Resistance for 5 turns.
Name: Beam Handgun
Base damage: 7-9
Cost: 3 Energy Points
Special Effect: only usable in Suit Off status. Damage is increased by Strength rather than Spirit.
Name: Knife
Base damage: 5-7
Base accuracy: 85
Special Effect: only usable in Suit Off status.

Quirk: Mobile Suit. Ricardo is always in one of the following status:
  • Suit Off: Ricardo recovers 10 Energy Points at the start of his turn. If Ricardo has 50 or more Energy Points, he can switch to the Suit On status before using an active skill except "Shoulder Cannons" and "Wing Jet".
  • Suit On: Ricardo gains 7 points in Defense and Resistance. Ricardo can switch to the Suit Off status at the start of his turn. If Ricardo drops to 0 Energy Points, he has to switch to the Suit Off status at the start of his turn.
Edited by Enaluxeme

I've actually been wanting to register for a while, I've just been too busy (kinda), and I haven't decided what kind of character I want to use. I'll see if I can get one up today, but for now I'm just reserving a spot.

Grammar Nazi-ing here, it's Strength, with t before the h. I dunno why you got it right in some places and wrong in others, but I just thought I'd point it out

Edited by A Random Player

Damn you are right. I must have copy-pasted the error without noticing.
Thanks for the interest! Please don't make another shooting marine XP

EDIT: as it turns out, I actually didn't know how to write strength and accidentally used the right spelling. You four have fun, I'm going to flagellate myself.

Edited by Enaluxeme

Go with (9)! She is the strongest Touhou character!

Baka gaijin, it's written as ⑨! >3<

Anyways, I'm also thinking of how they'll work in combat and Cirno only has ice powers and that's kinda of boring? I know that her powers get stronger the hotter it is, but it's just ice.

I don't know the keyboard commands on how to make that little circle.

Anyways, ice-creation is pretty malliable. Just using her Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil spellcards you'd get several powerful abilities. If you have some of them be passive damage effects or AoE abilities, mix them in with a bunch of freeze-status abilities, you'd have a solid character base. Your biggest issue is, actually, that Cirno is a fairy and Touhou fairies don't stay down. Sure, you can kill them, but they regenerate instantly which would mean Cirno would have a loophole around the death-rule here. Same would go for Fujiwara No Moku.

If you want to draw from the weaker end of things Marisa might be a good choice, or maybe even someone like Moriya. Course, you could always use the news reporter or the nuclear girl or w/e.