I want to clarify: Is my copy of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon a Bootleg?

It has the European names (Shiida, Doluna, Akanea, Nabarl, rather than Caeda, Dohlr, Archanea, and Navarre). But it has a legit ESRB E10+ Rating on the sticker. Here are pictures I took that I think may help...

http://imgur.com/kI0korl

Here we have the front of my Cart, with the ESRB rating, looking like an American copy.

http://imgur.com/lflWuRb

Here we have the back of my Cart.

http://imgur.com/RUXdBS4

Now, our first noticeable part of the bootleg once I pop it in: Archanea is Akaneia in this supposed bootleg...

http://imgur.com/w3EWUQ1

Next, we see Dolhr is its European name, Doluna.

http://imgur.com/4GG7qNT

Caeda has her European name, Shiida...

http://imgur.com/GLLO0L6

And a comparison to 4 of my non-bootleg DS games. You can see that my Shadow Dragon copy is slightly darker.

So, is it a bootleg? I can't show the case because I only recieved the Game Cart when I bought it.

Hmm, my first instinct was maybe somebody put a European cart in your box by accident, but I'm leaning towards bootleg, sadly.

The art should have the Falchion and map of Archanea, not what you see there.

EDIT: Okay, after looking around, I'm not so sure.

Edited by VincentASM

Hmm, my first instinct was maybe somebody put a European cart in your box by accident, but I'm leaning towards bootleg, sadly.

The Cartridge art should have Falchion and Archanea's map? I don't have the box.

comparing it to my cartridge, which i know is a legitimate copy (i got it on release), from picture quality alone, the arts on the cartridges themselves are the same

edit: the one thing i'm noticing is that on the back of the cartridge, the indentation for the nintendo seal and serial number seems a bit more deeply cut than my own

i tried taking a picture of mine to see if i could get the lighting to appear the same way, and i couldn't replicate it

Edited by Quicksilver

comparing it to my cartridge, which i know is a legitimate copy (i got it on release), from picture quality alone, the arts on the cartridges themselves are the same

But mine has the European names...

good thing I'm a game collector, I can tell a bootleg from a mile away

overall on the outside it LOOKS legit. HOWEVER the cereal #'s on the back don't match.

and I can't tell you anything about the sticker, but if you reflect it in the light and you see no light rejection it's a reproduction sticker.

it's deffinitly a bootleg

and the best Shadow Dragon bootleg I've ever seen

and if I recall a few years ago a bunch of bootleg copies of SD came out of China, it might be one of those, but since it doesn't have the Falcion on the sticker, I doubt it's one of those coppies.

I think it's just the PAL copies that have that detail. I can't find any immages of of a PAL copy on eBay or on google.
Edited by Captain Karnage

overall on the outside it LOOKS legit. HOWEVER the cereal #'s on the back don't match.

and I can't tell you anything about the sticker, but if you reflect it in the light and you see no light rejection it's a reproduction sticker.

and if I recall a few years ago a bunch of bootleg copies of SD came out of China, it might be one of those, but since it doesn't have the Falcion on the sticker, I doubt it's one of those coppies.

So it IS a bootleg then?

So it IS a bootleg then?

From the responses that have been given thus far, I would say so. The EU names, the whole odd serial number situation... yeah. It's a very clever one, that's for sure :p.

Also, I don't know what it is, but the seal of approval and the top part of the sticker just seems... off... there's a little indent on the "Nintendo DS" logo on your other 3 cartridges in the middle of them, but the shape on the shadow dragon one just seems a Liiitttlllee less indented. That, and the Nintendo seal of approval just seems a little smaller than the other ones. Then again, it could just be the picture quality tricking my eyes into seeing those details. At the end of the day, it already has some other things pointed out that would make sound like a bootleg anyway. I don't know what its origins could be, but its, again, near passable as a authentic copy.

After close inspection of my used Shadow Dragon cartridge purchased online, and comparsion to my other DS cartridges, I am certain that it too is a bootleg. I might post a picture later.

After close inspection of my used Shadow Dragon cartridge purchased online, and comparsion to my other DS cartridges, I am certain that it too is a bootleg. I might post a picture later.

Thank you!

i switched rooms and put it on a similar carpet, and i agree it's a bootleg

it's the best damn bootleg i've ever seen though

I think it's just the PAL copies that have that detail. I can't find any immages of of a PAL copy on eBay or on google.

yeah, i thought the serial numbers didn't match, i was gonna comment on it, but i couldn't tell if the one on the back was a Y or a V

Here is the front of my cartridge - http://i.imgur.com/NaC1tAI.jpg?1

Notice the low-quality inking of the ESRB label and the rounded lower-left sticker corner.

Also, the rating is E (not E10+) and the artwork does not match what is found in a Google search.

I believe this is what it should look like - http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/x~sAAOSwh-1W19dW/s-l225.jpg

I would like to share a picture of the back, but to show the details I need advice for taking high-quality pictures of small objects with lower lighting conditions.

I've got a copy of SD that I picked up on release. TC's copy looks nearly identical to mine (the only difference are some numbers in the back). The differences between that and Zera's cart:

- SD is rated E10+, not E

- The Nintendo logo is white, not red

- The "Shadow Dragon" portion of the banner is to small

- I can't tell WTF is up with that background, but it sure as hell doesn't look like that on mine

- Letters on the bottom are all off

SO. . .either Nintendo somehow did a second printing and royally screwed up everything, or that's a bootleg.

The PAL version is multilingual, so if it's a bootleg and they used a PAL image you should be able to change the game's language by changing your DS language. (Try German, French or Spanish)

Edited by Naughx

The Cart ID for FE11 US release is always "NTR-YFEE-USA". For EU release it's "NTR-YFEP-EUR".

If that's different, then it's most definitely a bootleg.

The back of my Cart has YFEENOJ22. Is that an indication of a bootleg?

Those letters a couple post above yours should be on the front of the cart, not the back.

• 2 weeks later...