Card Storage

Hello everyone!

I was thinking about different ways to store cipher cards in a way that is both space efficient and nice. I'm not entirely a fan of using card pages, as the foils always bend and I like to be able to organize my cards by color/classes and so I appreciate the freedom of re-organization.

Right now I have been butting them in ultra-pro sleeves with toploaders in a shoebox style box. I have been putting the card in the sleeves "upside down", and placing them in the toploaders. The sleeves are color coordinated with the cards (see attached image).

I was wondering if this was appropriate? My top priority is keeping these cards nice so that 30 years down the road I still have a really nice card to enjoy. I didn't know if anyone had experienced any card damage if they stored cards like this, or if there were better alternatives (should I just be using normal penny sleeves?).

If I don't have to upside down the sleeve, the ultra pro dot wouldn't be at the top of the image, for example, but would that open me to moisture damage? Will that up dot leave a mark, will the card ink stick to the sleeve? Some of the many questions and advice I'd like to hear from those with card storing experience.

For the upcoming set 5 cards I am using 35pt magnetic one-touch for a few cards (such as Roy SR).

I'm also really open to hearing how everyone else stores their cards, because I might learn a thing or two and pick up some new ideas!

post-15478-0-01387700-1466127079_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChibiToastExplosion

Those really thick sleeves would be fine, the only trouble is that they're really thick and eat up space QUICK.

Card pages are perfectly fine my Yu-Gi-Oh cards have been sitting in my card book for almost 15 years are still perfectlyfine and still look like they did when I put them in all those years ago

While I have a grand total of zero Cipher cards, I'm an avid CCG player. Soooo. . .

For the really nice cards, I single-sleeve it using something cheap, and put it in a small plastic drawer. The cards are stored upright. For the common, "this will never go above 30 cents" cards, they just get shoved into the drawer as-is. The plastic drawers are on shelves, so the odds of my apartment flooding and ruining my collection is low (if the water gets that high, the cards are the least of my concerns). If the roof leaks, the plastic drawers should keep the water out.

If you're really worried, and live somewhere where it's humid year-round, perhaps store your cards near a dehumidifier.

I double sleeve with KMC Perfect Fits into KMC Hyper Mattes. They then go into BCW-12 Pocket Z-Folio LX (each folio holding one set of cards) What is warping the foils is humidity as eclipse as mentioned, you could put dessicants in the boxes that you store cards.

Edited by Draxal

Those really thick sleeves would be fine, the only trouble is that they're really thick and eat up space QUICK.

Card pages are perfectly fine my Yu-Gi-Oh cards have been sitting in my card book for almost 15 years are still perfectlyfine and still look like they did when I put them in all those years ago

Yeah, I like pages well enough - it's good to know that these things are a little more durable that older sports cards. I'll have to post my box when I have a little more time.

I know that the toploaders are gonna take up space - especially since I treat all of my N cards just as nice as I do the SR.

If you're really worried, and live somewhere where it's humid year-round, perhaps store your cards near a dehumidifier.

I was more wondering if it would be okay to place the cards in the sleeves upright before placing them in the toploader - this would let the top of the card "breathe" a little bit, and I was wondering if the tight space would cause ink to stick.

What is warping the foils is humidity as eclipse as mentioned, you could put dessicants in the boxes that you store cards.

Yeah, this is the general consensus I got from some preliminary research last night. Is double sleeving good?

---

Thanks for the replies guys! Love hearing how people store their stuff. Still trying to work out what works best for my wife and I. Pulling individual cards for reference is going to be a plus for her, as she's an artist.

So far, no ink sticking on my end! However, I haven't had my cards for years on end (yet). Cards are put in the sleeve upright in my case.