Power Master's Power Master Thread

Alex95

Here's an example of a game that uses both pixel art and very stylish and hand drawn-looking art:

And honestly, if you have a good enough palette, you'll never feel limited. Here's some amazingly good examples:

http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10695

Edited by Floral Pattern

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is unique and there is no right way or wrong way, just your way.

Pretty much this for me.

A color pallet could be a good thing to use, I suppose. When I was drawing out the games originally, I used mainly simple colors (red, blue, yellow, green, etc.). It's shouldn't be too hard to come up with a color pallet, tbh. Just pull the colors used in the notebooks, basically. I didn't have much time to think of one yesterday, but I'll see what I can put together today.

I don't know, I can't come up with a pallet that I like and doesn't feel like I'm limiting myself. An "8-bit-styled" game is just how it turned out to look like. I mean, I like it, but I know I'm not the best at it. I don't feel like I'm limiting myself with how I'm going about it already. I like doing it how I am now, creating everything my own way. I like the style I picked and I like how it's turning out so far. This isn't an 8-bit style game, it a "my-style" game, I guess. I appreciate the help, but I'm probably going to keep everything as is.

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx

All in all, the final decision is mine. I'm trying to be as friendly as I can here, so please just accept who I am. I don't want this to turn into a "Why won't you include this?" thread. I'm asking for help, not criticism.

Dude.

If you need help, that's fine. But if you're not willing to listen to other people, especially when they give out objectively helpful advice (like palettes), why should I bother saying anything? If you want to do a "my way or the high way" sort of thing, I won't stop you. However, it's not a good attitude to have if you're asking for help.

Dude.

If you need help, that's fine. But if you're not willing to listen to other people, especially when they give out objectively helpful advice (like palettes), why should I bother saying anything? If you want to do a "my way or the high way" sort of thing, I won't stop you. However, it's not a good attitude to have if you're asking for help.

I'm not trying to be rude, sorry. This is turning out to be more stressful than I thought...

All I want help with are voice overs, music, and ideas. But I, like any other person, have my own morals and limitations. I thought this would be a fun project to work on, and I appreciate the artistic help too, I'm certainly learning from it. But there is a certain way I want this game to go. I'm terrible with words, but please, just... try and understand.

You still seeking VAs? I'd like to submit an audition for a few characters later.

Of course! The deadline is the end of August, so as long as you get it in before then! :)

The thing is, it might be painful to hear but honest constructive critique is the best way to grow.

People give critique because they believe you can use it and grow. Honestly, if I didn't think you had potential I would just piss off and not even say anything (or continue shitposting because I'm a card and such things amuse me). What you choose to do with it is your prerogative, but honestly people have said some good things very gently, and I would take those things into account.

No one wants to hear that they're not perfect, but once you shed that ego and take the advice of others as it is given to you then you can grow and develop as an artist and a person (I used to be a huge snot about crit, so believe me when I say that I can understand where you're coming from). Likewise, as someone who is also working on some game projects crit is an important thing. Games are a medium that are, by their very design, meant to be consumed by others. If you only make the game you want, you might end up with something that, whilst interesting and enjoyable for you, might not be very good for anyone else. In that case, I think it's important for you to take feedback from other people, especially people who aren't your friends and close ones (they're gonna be the most honest).

Anyway, peace out homie. Those are my two cents, please don't spend them all in one place.

The thing is, it might be painful to hear but honest constructive critique is the best way to grow.

People give critique because they believe you can use it and grow. Honestly, if I didn't think you had potential I would just piss off and not even say anything (or continue shitposting because I'm a card and such things amuse me). What you choose to do with it is your prerogative, but honestly people have said some good things very gently, and I would take those things into account.

No one wants to hear that they're not perfect, but once you shed that ego and take the advice of others as it is given to you then you can grow and develop as an artist and a person (I used to be a huge snot about crit, so believe me when I say that I can understand where you're coming from). Likewise, as someone who is also working on some game projects crit is an important thing. Games are a medium that are, by their very design, meant to be consumed by others. If you only make the game you want, you might end up with something that, whilst interesting and enjoyable for you, might not be very good for anyone else. In that case, I think it's important for you to take feedback from other people, especially people who aren't your friends and close ones (they're gonna be the most honest).

Anyway, peace out homie. Those are my two cents, please don't spend them all in one place.

I know I'm not perfect, I'm am absolutely aware of that.

...I believe I may have taken on more than I can handle on my own. Doing everything at once allows me to work better, but I also know my limits. I'd ask for help in sprites, but I'm not sure how to convey my ideas across and I don't want to flood whoever is helping me with seemingly random requests. ("I thought of this, so add/change this instead!") I know this sort of thing happens in game development anyway as ideas come and go, but my brain is wildly active and I end up confusing myself sometimes.

I am not trying to please just me, nor am I trying to please everyone (doing so is nearly impossible). I'm just trying to create a good game while, at the same time, making my ideas a reality. I'm not trying to argue, I'm not trying to push away your requests and critiques. I just... This is practically a new experience for me as I've never worked on a team before, at least to this great of an extent. I barely know what I'm doing.

*sigh*

Glad you liked it! I was so nervous, I've never recorded for anything before in my life.

Could've fooled me. :)

Okay, so I darkened the portraits I had already made today, causing the color to show up better.

[spoiler=Before & After]

marvin__beta__by_powermaster64-da7j1yp.p

kyle___standard_by_powermaster64-da8ddkm

In case you're wondering, there's a left and right side to every portrait.

Kyle (and the rest) are a bit darker now, so hopefully that helps. If not... well, this is really the best I can do as I can't adjust my scanner's brightness setting. I scan it, then darken it a bit. The colors are definitely showing up more, though.

Now then

I have yet to receive any sort of music demo. I know the music can take a bit to do, though, but just giving a heads up.

And these characters have yet to have a voice sampled:

• Stephan
  • Evelyn
  • Young Boy
  • Teen Boy
  • Man
  • Woman
  • Elderly Man
  • Elderly Woman
  • Charles
  • Huntsman
  • James
  • Jyosua
  • Dave
  • Steel
  • Heavy Knight
  • Fire Soldier

At the moment, I am currently working on Helen's portrait and getting the start of the game set up. I have to make events for two separate stories, Kyle's and Merlina's, so there's going to be a lot put into just the first town alone.

http://freemusicarchive.org/
I've used some tunes from this in some projects of mine!

There are many quality tracks in a variety of genres and it's creative commons, meaning that you don't have to pay to use them as long as you respect the CC attributions for copyright purposes (and avoid using Non-Transformative works because games count as a transformative and sampling media under copyright).

the portraits are looking better, but I would try to expand the palette used on the drawings as they're still a little flat and lacking in colour contrast (making them a bit hard to read). Try using light/ dark contrasts or complementary colours!

For photo-editing, GIMP and FireAlpaca are free and include many functions that other programs have. This includes levels/ colour contrast editing programs, so you can use these to fix anything if your scanner settings aren't too good to play with.

Art Gay™, Out! *proceeds to crash out the Window(s 98)*

As good as free music is, I'd prefer to have as much of my own content as possible. I know that's a tall order and it may take a while, but it'll make the game feel like it's own thing and not just a collection of random bits put together. Plus, it helps avoid copyright! Besides, I have a few ideas of my own, but no musical talent to get them down...

I'll find one of the two programs and see what I can do with it.

Here are two game making resources masterposts that might help you out:

https://carmenmcs.tumblr.com/post/80839242863/go-here-for-the-latest-update-this-post-is

http://pinkuboa.tumblr.com/post/92110744181/see-i-did-do-something-for-200-followers-12

The Second masterpost is the one I use; some really good free-to-use music are composed by Japanese composers so I highly recommend you check out those links.

May I suggest instead of using traditional art, trying to sprite the portraits? the handdrawn stuff kind of clashes.

At best, I can do what you see for the tilesets. If I try to sprite a portrait, everything just comes out bleh.

As I'm sure you guys know, I am not the best spriter. Barely could be even considered good. So at this point, I decided to just go "Screw it, new application!"

I would like some help actually making an 8-bit-style game. That actually was the original intent, but it seems I missed the mark. So I'll contact a few people I have in mind, but feel free to send in work of your own so I have options.

I'll keep working on the portraits, but I'm having trouble on the battlers. I can't quite get them to look proportionate to each other, so I need some help with that. Any takers?

Oh, and this exists now: https://powermaster.itch.io/power-master-1-fora-temple-unity-alpha-build

Good to h

As I'm sure you guys know, I am not the best spriter. Barely could be even considered good. So at this point, I decided to just go "Screw it, new application!"

I would like some help actually making an 8-bit-style game. That actually was the original intent, but it seems I missed the mark. So I'll contact a few people I have in mind, but feel free to send in work of your own so I have options.

I'll keep working on the portraits, but I'm having trouble on the battlers. I can't quite get them to look proportionate to each other, so I need some help with that. Any takers?

Oh, and this exists now: https://powermaster.itch.io/power-master-1-fora-temple-unity-alpha-build

Use the NES palette and limit the amount of colours you use and generally use contrasting and interesting colour choices. Read up on dithering. And some pictures of the battlers would be neat.

Games rated E may include "minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence." If this is an RPG, "minimal" won't cut it. This really should be E10.

The rating is not final. It's just what I'm shooting for.

Use the NES palette and limit the amount of colours you use and generally use contrasting and interesting colour choices. Read up on dithering. And some pictures of the battlers would be neat.

kyle_battler_by_powermaster64-da8hh4e.pn

I was going for a sort of cartoon-ish look for these: rounded hands, dots for eyes, low details. Just something simple and funny to look at while keeping with the "paper-book" theme of the portraits.

Thing is, I'm terrible with proportions. Kyle came out okay here, but then I usually base everything off of the first, so...

For the battlefield, I was thinking a book (you can probably see a theme here) with background elements, such as a tree or house, coming out the back. Players on the right, foes on the left.

I was originally going to make the tilesets look like a pop-up book as well, cause that's how I made my game (kinda). But that wasn't working out, so 8-bit.

I'll use the pallet on the previous page and mess with what I already have, see how that turns out.

For photo-editing, GIMP and FireAlpaca are free and include many functions that other programs have. This includes levels/ colour contrast editing programs, so you can use these to fix anything if your scanner settings aren't too good to play with.

GIMP isn't working and FireAlpaca isn't compatible. I'm using paint.net, does that work?

Perhaps I can draw them, then use the NES pallet to color them in... hm...