So I just played Vanguard Dawn...

Nihilon

...And it was amazing! Definitely the most fun DLC yet. It's just you, your units, a few good chokepoints and a craptonne of enemies... I had loads of fun doing this one. Certainly way more than any of the other DLC so far. I guess I'll have Aether on everyone in no time!

I was honestly pretty surprised after the tedious farming DLCs, the supremely "meh" Hidden Truths and the outright stupid Royal Royale/Beach Brawl stages. I think I had more fun playing Vanguard Dawn than any of the main game stages...

Well, it is based on Elincia's Gambit, which it's considered one the best defense maps on series.

So glad to see people enjoying it!

I loved that chapter in RD and I still love it.

If such a chapter would be in Conquest...Chapter 10 can't compare to it.

For me, it's the map of choice if I need to do a battle to recruit one of those secret unlock characters or to get my castle crystal orb to update since it's possible to 1-turn the map, especially early on in the game.

I must say, I quite like Vanguard Dawn, since RD's one of my favorite FE games. Too bad I never was able to beat it yet...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

The only thing I was sad about was that the battle theme was the same as the map theme and not the glorious 'On Glory's Wings' from Radiant Dawn. Otherwise, I immediately had a nostalgia rush from playing this map and I even chose my units so that they reflect what you had on that chapter in Radiant Dawn (for example, using Hinoka as a Falcon Knight for guarding the throne to reflect Elincia or to take Selkie and Keaton with you to reflect Lethe and Mordecai.)

I love this map so much! I especially like how you can get Vanguard skills on people who don't have access to the class itself. Getting Heavy Blade on Selena really helps her shaky strength, for example.

This was my setup for this map (playing revelations):

Hinoka = Elincia

Subaki = Marcia (I didn't have Caeldori at that time)

Benny = Brom

Oboro = Nephenee

Selkie = Lethe

Keaton = Mordecai

Xander = Geoffrey

Silas = Kieran

Bow Knight!Selena = Astrid/Stella

Orochi = Calill (now if only Meteor existed in Fates...)

Beruka = Haar (I didn't have Percy at that time)

It workes wonders, since I could use the same strategy from my many RD playthroughs. I was in nostalgia heaven, needless to say.

Edited by DragonFlames

Is a vanguard better than an swordmaster or is it best just to give aether to my sword master

The General boss drops an Aether scroll, which allows any unit that is lv. 25 or lv. 5 promoted to learn it. Also, due to skill manuals available in Vanguard Dawn and Heirs of Fates, anybody can learn all skills the Vanguard class can learn provided they meet the level requirements.

Swordmaster is easily better than Vanguard if you were to look at their max stats.

If I were to make one character into a Vanguard as their final class, who would you recommend, as in, whose stat mods fit the class best?

I'm asking because I want at least one of each class on my team during my current (and permanent) Revelations file.

If I were to make one character into a Vanguard as their final class, who would you recommend, as in, whose stat mods fit the class best?

I'm asking because I want at least one of each class on my team during my current (and permanent) Revelations file.

Vanguard has the following:

Max stats

HP - 65

STR - 36

MAG - 25

SKL - 29

SPD - 30

LCK - 30

DEF - 32

RES - 27

Growths

HP - 20

STR - 20

MAG - 0

SKL - 5

SPD - 5

LCK - 10

DEF - 15

RES - 0

In other words, you will want someone who can take advantage of the class's high HP and STR growths, while making up for its supremely meh SKL and SPD. If you don't mind the -2 STR mod, Kaze actually fits reasonably well - he appreciates the class's STR and DEF growths while making up for its bad SKL and SPD growths with his innate growths. Benny is also a great fit with natural access to Wary Fighter - though he has neutral mods all around except for SPD (-3) and DEF and RES (+3 and +1 respectively), he has great growths in everything except SPD, so with Wary Fighter, he doesn't even mind that one weakness. Xander also likes the class, provided that he can cover his poor SPD and RES with some time in Swordmaster or something.

These are just a few suggestions, of course - you can make basically anyone you want into a Vanguard, it's mostly a question of whether you want the character to reinforce their strengths or cover their weaknesses with the class.

Great!

Is it also a defend mission like in FE10? It was my favorite FE chapter.

It's either survive for 12 turns or frag the bosses (yes, I said "bosses") - each of them has a skill manual for one of the skills the Vanguard class learns). The big boss is a General (or Knight if you're doing the map early - either way, he uses one of those enemy exclusive weapons).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

It's either survive for 12 turns or frag the bosses (yes, I said "bosses") - each of them has a skill manual for one of the skills the Vanguard class learns). The big boss is a General (or Knight if you're doing the map early - either way, he uses one of those enemy exclusive weapons).

One of the bosses is an axe-wielding General is a reference to Ludveck.

One of the bosses is an axe-wielding General is a reference to Ludveck.

He has vantage just like him too, I love these little details.

Edited by Nik