Dinar87's first battle sprite gallery!!

Dinar87

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are far too many moving parts for an FE sprite. I really feel that if you want to emulate the style you need to convey the same movement without redrawing all of the frames, which is more or less what you're doing at the moment. Less is more in this case.

You're steadily improving and I'm really digging these "metroid-esque" sprites. I also really like the separation of the lower and upper body for firing but depending on the gun you might have some issues with lighting.

See when a gun fires there's an explosion which should (in theory) light up your character's body. This means that if the legs and upper body are separate then you can only shade in the new lighting for the upper body. it shouldn't be an issue though, since most guns are rather dim in their explosions.

Also that latest update on the blue sword dude looks neat. I can definitely tell where Agro was going though. FE sprites tend to be a little less animated. Unless it's a large motion like jumping forward, a lot of the body parts tend to stay still.

I'm likin' this though, keep at it.

1 hour ago, Kyne said:

You're steadily improving and I'm really digging these "metroid-esque" sprites. I also really like the separation of the lower and upper body for firing but depending on the gun you might have some issues with lighting.

See when a gun fires there's an explosion which should (in theory) light up your character's body. This means that if the legs and upper body are separate then you can only shade in the new lighting for the upper body. it shouldn't be an issue though, since most guns are rather dim in their explosions.

Also that latest update on the blue sword dude looks neat. I can definitely tell where Agro was going though. FE sprites tend to be a little less animated. Unless it's a large motion like jumping forward, a lot of the body parts tend to stay still.

I'm likin' this though, keep at it.

Thanks for the advice and compliments but I think I'm just going to vaguely copy the style of fire emblem GBA from now on since I can't seem to get it right for the most part when attempting to fully replicate their style. I think I've learned that no matter how much you practice, someone like me can't just become even half as good as someone like bwdyeti (or your sprites for that matter) through sheer practice alone. It seems you also need to have a natural talent as well and that can't be as easily fixed. I just got into fire emblem-like spriting because I liked the animations that much and wanted to have more of them in the world. I didn't start this because I was good at it.

Here's what I made when I first started btw so that should give you an idea of how desperate I was to achieve my goal despite having no talent at all at first. 

Anyways, with that metroid-esque stuff, unfortunately I seem to of run out of ideas...maybe I'm just burnt out for the moment? I hope it's just for now and is only a temporary problem as if not that could be terrible for the entire project. For now I think I'll continue making fire emblem-like(?) sprites and animations until I feel like I actually want to do metroid stuff again.

Sorry if this is disappointing to hear but I consider honesty a sign of respect and I respect anyone who takes the time to comment on my work (as long as it's not just blatantly shitting on what I've done non constructively).

Animation sprites 1.png

Update! Does anyone remember this that I made?
FBZkZiP.png
Well now I've created an animation based on that person I kept drawing over and over again at the time.
snY693X.gif
Any thoughts?

Edited by Dinar87

See, I was gonna ask if he just swapped hands with the weapon, but it is now that it is exactly what he's doing.

It is REALLY smooth, good job man!

I will say, during the dodge animation, the his right foot (seen from HIS right) appears to rotate based on the heel of his foot, whereas you'd usually rotate based on the front of the foot, and lift your heel up a little.

Also, the legs get really thin during the jump, which makes it look like his legs are rectangular instead of being cylindrical as they should be. It's like, they were supposed to be a soda can but they turned into juice boxes. Thicken them up a little bit during the jump I'd say.

11 hours ago, Kyne said:

See, I was gonna ask if he just swapped hands with the weapon, but it is now that it is exactly what he's doing.

It is REALLY smooth, good job man!

I will say, during the dodge animation, the his right foot (seen from HIS right) appears to rotate based on the heel of his foot, whereas you'd usually rotate based on the front of the foot, and lift your heel up a little.

Also, the legs get really thin during the jump, which makes it look like his legs are rectangular instead of being cylindrical as they should be. It's like, they were supposed to be a soda can but they turned into juice boxes. Thicken them up a little bit during the jump I'd say.

Is this better?
H59Mzfl.gif
g7TViJO.png
I've just noticed another flaw in my work. During and after the slash, the character's feet are much smaller than before the slash. Oh well, the fact that I didn't notice it until now says a lot about how important that little error probably is in the grand scheme of things (aka not very important).

While I know what I've done isn't perfect I still like it.

Edited by Dinar87

Update! I've made three new animations for the promoted class of that "knave class" I animated a few days ago. Here's the first bits of it.
Z0xFHRR.gif
1Ym7DWW.gif
q35MZQe.gif
NOT FINISHED ONE
PWcJYgz.gif
(the person is getting ready to jump into the air btw on that last one)
IRYiVis.gif
3IjzIYu.gif

Edited by Dinar87

Update! I've added shadows to the whisper class's battle animations.
16901913_1123512154444856_2046323788_n.gif?oh=34f534eee393923debe24d8f2372ea30&oe=58AFFEF0
I've also made my very first edit to a mug. I spent quite a bit of time on this one so I hope it went ok. The character is an edited version of Forde from sacred stones and I got the sprites from here.https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_advance/fireemblemthesacredstones/sheet/14464/

FK4kaDb.gif
Lh9Pzg7.png

unknown.png
ywDOBjz.gif
t8i1mcC.png
PzzHiW3.gif

Edited by Dinar87

11 hours ago, Agro said:

it doesn't seem to make sense for the cape to fly up after the turn?

What should it be doing instead then since I just assumed the cape flew up because the character was falling. 

JtxIVci.gif

Edited by Dinar87