Dinar87's first battle sprite gallery!!

Dinar87

Another fancy update to my game.

now the game looks better thanks to the code someone effectively gave me from game maker discord, combined with new animations I made, to result in something that looks less garbage than it did before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it! The only problem I see with it so far is the return backflip. The character just suddenly zips back to the ground almost at the peak of the jump. It works well for the leap, but not for the landing.

A good example is the Rogue's return animation, in which he leaps in a blur, then he falls down to the ground without the use of blurring.

I do like how he leans forward before the leap. A very nice touch. Reminds me of the Rogue.

Also, I just went through this whole topic, because it looked interesting. Your skills have definitely improved, and it's awesome seeing this gallery going from mediocre at best, to genuinely good animations and mock-ups.

Keep it up :)

That game looks like a pain in the ass

I like the new battle sprite but the hair looks a bit blobby is all. The motion is quite good. The pants are a bit light on the shading. Otherwise it's very nice.

the map sprite is very janky... I would stop the arms moving from side to side in the walk down animation. during the standing animation, don't turn the head either.

2 hours ago, Agro said:

That game looks like a pain in the ass

I see what you did there! It's because the character was hurting himself right? And not , y'know, because it looks like a terrible game so far....at least I hope not anyways!

Also I'm glad you like the other animations even if the map ones are a bit janky.

Would it animated at that speed ingame? I feel it would be a lot more menacing if it animates at a slower pace. Like slow writhing worms.

I really like the concept you have as well.

Edited by Backer

I can imagine the first encounter with one. Looks like an allied soldier at first, but you approach and then the tentacles emerge! Like something from Resident Evil.

2 hours ago, Agro said:

I can imagine the first encounter with one. Looks like an allied soldier at first, but you approach and then the tentacles emerge! Like something from Resident Evil.

Yeah that's the spirit! And maybe the behavior of the monster could work like this...

-the monster wanders through the environments hunting you whilst the player searches for upgrades to eventually defeat it.
-more powerful attacks make more noise, increasing the chance of the monster discovering your location
-maybe something like the power going out when the monster enters the room you're in could act as a visual warning that you need to hide now?

Also, I need to make it scary but not so frightening that nobody, including myself, will want to play it. I need to balance it somehow.

Edited by Dinar87

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, Dinar87 said:

Also, I need to make it scary but not so frightening that nobody, including myself, will want to play it. I need to balance it somehow.

Cues such a guttural growl or crunching footsteps announcing its arrival or distortion of the music would be my suggestion.

Audio cues work just as well as visual cues when creating an unsettling environment. I look forward to seeing how you would display this. :)

A demonstration of my monster's smashing animation

Enjoy as I've spent three days on this creation and considering the result is similar to what will be used in my game, it should give you a good idea as to what to expect. Remember, this is just ONE of my monster's attacks, one that isn't even fully complete yet as I'll do the rest in game maker.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/08/2016 at 3:23 PM, Dinar87 said:

In that case I'll try making another dark druid sprite!

EDIT:Here it is! The color scheme reminds me of kyogre...

sPXbofp.png

Also, in terms of not being able to do this, all it takes is practice...a lot of practice. As you can see in my previous post I started off as terrible at making sprites yet here I am today making sprites people enjoy in one way or another (probably laughing at how bad they are). While it admittedly did take me months to get this "good" at it (and I'd still argue I have a long way to go) it's still achievable if you can practice enough. So why not give sprite making a try? All you need is GIMP (which is a free version of Photoshop).

I just saw your post, totally forgot this topic! Your Dark Druid is lovely, I always wanted a Dark Druid like that for my main character when I'll start to create my game aha! 

Anyway yes I tried but it's definitely not my talent maybe I'll try again (and I have photoshop as I'm studying photography so that's a +!) 

Sorry for responding after one year though xD 

• 4 months later...

Wow it's been AGES since I've posted here...I just kinda forgot about this place tbh so sorry about that =(

Anyways, if you've been wondering what I've been up to...take a look at this!

Adding some new tiles and enemies spawn pickups!