The Anarchist of Music Thread: Still hungers for new submissions!

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^i'm guessing you're having trouble with the auto-generated videos (they're the ones where the channel name is [artist name] - topic and the "videos" are just album art with info next to it. basically youtube is allowed to license music that isn't on youtube or doesn't have an official music video; it's then auto-compiled into topics. ad-free! algorithms!). my experience is that these videos are only available in the u.s., australia, and new zealand. these are also the countries where youtube has their new YouTube Redâ„¢ ad-free subscription streaming thing. dunno much about this service but they seem to be strong-arming ppl into making #content ad-free and signing a new deal with them or something blah blah blah

tl;dr psa don't post auto-generated music videos if you can help it ffs (for fucc's sake)

someone submitted something anonymously so we're ignoring them and moving onto -ocelot- who I believe is newish here? hello ocelot

i was about to say i didn't actually have time to listen to it before sleep but then it was a minute and a half long so i did listen and i did not regret A+

remember looking up bones and seeing he had like 40 albums and i got spooked and closed the tab, tail between my legs

are any of them generally considered standouts? should i find a cloudier rapper to settle down with instead?

Vir-Vir was pretty cool. Nice dreamy, hazy atmosphere with some cool middle-eastern (?) influence mixed in.

Bones was also pretty nice, as I've generally enjoyed his broody darkness or whatever. good shit.

personally, i dig a lot more of their older stuff (anything before portnoy left, i wonder if that may be a coincidence!) like a change of seasons and all of metropolis part ii

off of their s/t album, i thought illumination theory was pretty good, specifically the section from like 12:15 to 15:00 or something.

dream theater's sound got a lot more aggressive in their more recent stuff, which is hilariously ironic because they were one of the big defining bands in prog metal, a genre that existed to take the aggressiveness out of guitar. i think a lot of their guitar work still sounds good, but the drumming has definitely declined after portnoy left

My personal favorites are definitely Awake and Train of Though (which, funnily enough, are probably their heaviest records), but everything from Images and Words to Octavarium is really good. Also, I'll totally agree Illumination Theory was one of the better, if not the best, tracks from the S/T'd. The orchestral section is divine.

I do think their guitar work has always been good, and hey, look on the bright side, we don't have to listen to Portnoy singing on songs anymore, which is a plus, I guess.

remember looking up bones and seeing he had like 40 albums and i got spooked and closed the tab, tail between my legs

are any of them generally considered standouts? should i find a cloudier rapper to settle down with instead?

I think his Useless mixtape was pretty good, even though I didn't finish it, but I suppose it'd be cool to start here.

Edited by Disinnocence

had to factory reset my router again after six or seven fucking disconnects, the last lasting half an hour

and now it doesn't want to play this video at a civilised, first-world resolution

even so it's nothing short of there have been enough overdone specta puns so enjoy this song that i named my discord after

Nice (I'm assuming that's the song name?) may have been a little too happy-upbeat for my taste (since I'm pretentious), but the beat was actually really good, so I'd say the song was very nice in the end.

All Delighted People had some fucking wonderful and delightful dynamic, jazzy instrumentation that I loved, so two thumbs up for that one.

Any suggestions on where to start and/or continue on from this? I'd love to hear more.

Edited by Disinnocence

Any suggestions on where to start and/or continue on from this?

this ep was a precursor to sufjan's the age of adz, which has a lot of things going on, some of which are among the many things that were going on in this ep; you'll like it. illinois is his other big 'n' bold album, and would probably win the sufjan fan poll. it's more indie folk (no dynamic fucking jazz iirc), which is to say i hope you dig banjos. both albums are as long as eternity. he's very talented and he tries very hard. carrie & lowell is arguably the best of his stripped-down albums, if you want a different sort of emotional beast.

(ofc, the best sufjan stevens album is actually pink moon, but you didn't hear that from me)

i enjoy kpop boys, honestly

and i forgot today was supposed to be my day lol

Nice (I'm assuming that's the song name?) may have been a little too happy-upbeat for my taste (since I'm pretentious), but the beat was actually really good, so I'd say the song was very nice in the end.

All Delighted People had some fucking wonderful and delightful dynamic, jazzy instrumentation that I loved, so two thumbs up for that one.

Any suggestions on where to start and/or continue on from this? I'd love to hear more.

all delighted people ep is a good place to start. if you like the pretty instrumentation and the folkier moments listen to illinois (not much of a folk record, more like... chamber folk, ya feel me. it has its banjos and its guitars but it's also all trumpets and violins and choirs). if you want folkier, softer, beautiful, precious, must protect at all costs sufjan listen to seven swans. if that isn't confessional enough for you, carrie & lowell will maybe satisfy your need to watch a man break down into tiny pieces, you twisted piece of shit. if you like the grandiose, glitchy, big ass instrumentation from all delighted people listen to the age of adz. if you didn't, you should listen to it anyway, fuck you.

Yes, yes! More talking! MORE MUSIC! MOIR A!

let's keep this a chatter-high zone

this song makes me feel cool and in the nineties

Edited by Parrhesia

Regardless of the decade it was released in, it's still a pretty chill song. I especially liked the (hopefully) ironic usage of "homie" and "player."

also, thanks for those recc's, dudes. i'll probably start with age of adz (or listen to the rest of all delighted people) because i like to go all in plus both of you said it was similar to this song (ep), so i'm going for it. it's my life.

LIVE MUSIC ALERT

this one's mine so appreciate motherfuckers

the band is Equus, or possibly Horse & Wind - either way it's the main horse-fiddle-and-throat-singing guy, Bukhu, plus a ragged handful of Australian backup guys.

i have seen this guy live, twice

he moonlights as an annual tour guide to mongolia

furthermore he's ended both sets by throat-singing 1920s swing, legend

related videos: 'NBA Bloopers 2016! (HD)'

I saw this guy live yesterday. It was at a Hill Country Barbecue in manhattan. I saw him last summer in a Hill Country Barbecue in Brooklyn. He was pretty good then but his show last night was really great. Put a lot of energy out when he did this one. Normally (like in the recording below) he sings it kinda quiet, but he was singing really loud last night.

Most of his songs I really love are like this one, a bit somber, but he mostly stuck to his more raucous/foul songs last night. It was still a great show.