Ruffina's Artsy Stuff

Limstella

Hehe, I always have a lot of trouble with Fem!Morgan's hair xP It's has like a curl, but it's also sort of flowey? One day I'll have it down~ I'll have to make her a bit more feminine at some point (Don't hesitate to bug me if I procrastinate :] ).

Another WIP (I'm not the best at finishing what I start...but since it's Nino, I gotta do it :Nino: ) Good unit or not, I love my Ests <3

tumblr_oec4514Ejr1uygxybo1_540.png

Hand will need a bit of tinkering, but I'm working on it :D

I really like the hair and the fire, there. Like you said, a bit of work on the hand, but hands can be tough.

I love Ests, too. I'll be raising one for the next 18 years or so, soon!

Nah, I won't pester you about art, I procrastinate, myself, too much.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/30/2016 at 7:44 PM, Rezzy said:

I really like the hair and the fire, there. Like you said, a bit of work on the hand, but hands can be tough.

I love Ests, too. I'll be raising one for the next 18 years or so, soon!

Nah, I won't pester you about art, I procrastinate, myself, too much.

Yees, hands are weird XP I mostly have trouble when they're at weird angles + Perspectives :P

Hehe, I bet they're gonna be awesome :3 Give them some Afa's drops and watch those stats grow!

Welcome to the Procrastination Nation~

On 9/30/2016 at 10:57 PM, TrueEm said:

Ooo, I'm really like how that's coming along.

Looking forward to the finished product!

Thank you! I hope it turned out as well as you hoped~

*gasp* DID I FINISH SOMETHING I SAID I'D START?! Well it's Nino, of course I would :3 I kind of had to get rid of the finger nails because it just wasn't turning out ;_; Will be sure to practice them more for the next one~

Edited by Limstella

Nice, original character? I guess on there, the trick is to not rotate the head too much, unless you want it to look like the Exorcist. I'm still figuring out perspectives.

I've got a couple pieces I'm working on, but I'm pretty slow. If only I had a week off, when I could draw and catch up on my video game backlog.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the eyes & fire in your latest finished piece!

Thank you! :D

Nice, original character? I guess on there, the trick is to not rotate the head too much, unless you want it to look like the Exorcist. I'm still figuring out perspectives.

I've got a couple pieces I'm working on, but I'm pretty slow. If only I had a week off, when I could draw and catch up on my video game backlog.

Ah, perspectives and head angles are typically a big struggle for me (I'll admit, they used to look a looooooooooooooot worst, one day I will have to show my old sketches XD).

Funny thing is, I have a ton of free time, and while I do spend a lot of it drawing something I haven't been able to put any finished pieces in forever lmao. Shame because I know I'm gonna be so mad at past me for not finishing anything XD

Thank you! :D

Ah, perspectives and head angles are typically a big struggle for me (I'll admit, they used to look a looooooooooooooot worst, one day I will have to show my old sketches XD).

Funny thing is, I have a ton of free time, and while I do spend a lot of it drawing something I haven't been able to put any finished pieces in forever lmao. Shame because I know I'm gonna be so mad at past me for not finishing anything XD

Yeah, I've gotten a while off from work, now, I should have plenty of time to draw, but then there's this baby that reminds me she's hungry again. :P

I have a drawing I've been working on for a bit now, but I need a few hours where I can just work on drawing.

• 3 weeks later...

tumblr_oh7etqpi211uygxybo1_540.png

Have a Farina that I swear I"ll finish :Farina::Farina::Farina::Farina::Farina::Farina::Farina:

I know the feeling. I love the FE7 Peg Knight trio! I'm actually working on a Fiora at the moment, but a new baby and life in general make drawing very hard. Not to mention, any time I try to draw, Leo comes in and wants to play with it.

Actually, Pokemon, and to a certain extant DQ is the first game I've played much since Fates. With kids, turn-based games are about the only ones I can play, since I'm constantly interrupted.

I know the feeling. I love the FE7 Peg Knight trio! I'm actually working on a Fiora at the moment, but a new baby and life in general make drawing very hard. Not to mention, any time I try to draw, Leo comes in and wants to play with it.

Actually, Pokemon, and to a certain extant DQ is the first game I've played much since Fates. With kids, turn-based games are about the only ones I can play, since I'm constantly interrupted.

YES!! I definitely think the FE7 trio is one of the best trios in the series. All are capable units, fun characters, and have good supports! Can't wait to see your Fiora when you get a chance to finish it. Has Leo drawn anything with your tablet?

I love turn based games, mostly because they're easy to put down at short notice, plus I tend to take a while to plan my moves. Hope your kids don't keep you too busy from drawing for long ^^

I too prefer turn-based games nowadays - having long commutes on the train would do that to me. What is your original character? A character in your fanfic or something?

For the artwork of female Morgan, would it work to emphasise the waves of her hair a bit more? And also maybe make her hair slightly shinier with better colour contrasts. This is what I noticed when I had a look at the official artwork of Morgan.

I too have some problems with proportioning the anatomy - in fact one of my pencil sketches have baby hands on a teenage body! As for trying to finish stuff, it generally work if I just publish when it feels more or less complete. And rinse, and repeat; not worrying too much about what went wrong. On the other hand, a couple of artists I saw over at deviantart also publish pencil drafts before the actual thing - that might be another option.

Edited by henrymidfields

I too prefer turn-based games nowadays - having long commutes on the train would do that to me. What is your original character? A character in your fanfic or something?

For the artwork of female Morgan, would it work to emphasise the waves of her hair a bit more? And also maybe make her hair slightly shinier with better colour contrasts. This is what I noticed when I had a look at the official artwork of Morgan.

I too have some problems with proportioning the anatomy - in fact one of my pencil sketches have baby hands on a teenage body! As for trying to finish stuff, it generally work if I just publish when it feels more or less complete. And rinse, and repeat; not worrying too much about what went wrong. On the other hand, a couple of artists I saw over at deviantart also publish pencil drafts before the actual thing - that might be another option.

Most of my original characters are one off designs, as for a story, I'm not a very good writer creatively (Not a lot of cool/original ideas).

tumblr_ohbi0acZrV1vw0nuoo1_540.png

Tried to do what you said by defining the curves a bit more~ (Also added/fixed some other things that bothered me :P) Originally it was just gonna be a touch up of the old one, but I figured it'd be easier to just start from the sketch.

tumblr_ohbidopFyK1uygxybo1_540.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice, I'm terrible with backgrounds, but usually just make it a non-white solid color. It's probably not a huge deal, but her belt thing cropping off the page looks just a bit off.

Nice, I'm terrible with backgrounds, but usually just make it a non-white solid color. It's probably not a huge deal, but her belt thing cropping off the page looks just a bit off.

Hmmm, I think it's the close belt sash thingy's gold ring(?) being too big ;p Probably just needs a bit of evening out/shrinking~

• 2 weeks later...

New%20canvas_zpsaf8eogys.png

Summary from the past year~ I kind of fizzled out on ideas this year as March ended :| THis year I learned the magical technique known as blending your lineart into your colors. Apparently I stopped drawing dudes after July lol.

Last year's goals:

Neater coloring, better proportions, more dude characters, better compositions

ACHIEVED: better proportions, (somewhat) more guys, and kind of decent compositions

Next year's goals:

More Dude characters again, more dynamic poses, More original art + ideas/less fan art, more perspectives and stuff Oh and more traditional art~

Edited by Limstella

Very nice year! I think my year has too many gaps to do a calendar.

I think my resolution will be to try to finish more pieces. Shading is tough for me.

Maybe my other resolution should not be to be self-conscience when I don't get feedback.

Very nice year! I think my year has too many gaps to do a calendar.

I think my resolution will be to try to finish more pieces. Shading is tough for me.

Maybe my other resolution should not be to be self-conscience when I don't get feedback.

Yeah, this year was definitely harder idea and execution-wise. After July, art stopped coming out as fast as it used to :P Finishing is getting harder and harder for me :d

For shading, 1 tip is probably layer blending modes, the mode "multiply" is a great one to use for shading

shading_zpshkmlv29b.png?t=1483210463. and also to not use grey/black but something with more hue to it(I think that's the right word for it)

I'll link this thing carefreejules linked earlier :D

tumblr_inline_o1qnqgjeBf1smqwki_500.jpg

Edited by Limstella

Multiple type layer is definitely a useful layer for keeping your shading a consistent colour throughout.

My go-to shading colour is a cross between a purple/red shade. If you're having trouble with shading, just look at an object or face and see how light projects on it - that's what I do. Heck, sometimes I'll be staring at people on the subway because I'm examining/making a note of the pose that they're in for future reference.

Learning from real life is probably the beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeest way for you to learn - that's how I learned and continue to use.

Edited by carefreejules

aaa_zpsdhpml1r8.png?t=1483210463

Just some environmentish practice with cape guy (not supposed to be any FE guy) for a portfolio or something :P Just the concept for now :P (aka mostly color blobs)

Edited by Limstella