Weird weapon triangle mechanic?

Belf

So I'm playing chapter 1 on H5 and I noticed if Abel (or any other lance/sword user) attacks the thief with the iron sword, the thief does 7 damage x 2, but if he uses the iron lance, the thief does only 4 damage x 2. Why is the difference 3? Additionally, Abel doesn't get a +1 attack bonus when using the iron lance. It doesn't work like this for the other enemies, it's just the usual +/- 1 for advantage/disadvantage.

The thieves (or rather, every enemy on H5) has A rank in weapons. Sword A rank gives +3 damage, but this is cancelled out when facing WTD (i.e. when Abel uses the lance).

Note that you have to have at least C weapon rank to get any bonuses at all, so with Abel's base rank of D in lances, he won't be getting that +1 damage. Also, the reason you're not noticing this on all the other enemies is because they are Axe users, and even at A rank, Axe bonuses are mostly to hit, so it only nets you +1 Atk.

Edited by ruadath

thats because the thief has a higher chance of hitting and the thief can double attack amd because the iron lance is higher than the iron sword,just like mercenaries they will double.Just make sure abel has much avoid or he'll be doubled by every thiief or mercenary.