Censorship Sucks

I despise censorship on any and all levels, not just limited to video games, but to all forms of media. Seems this game has suffered terribly and the fact some DLC has been banned means even content has been removed. While I dislike censorship and think it's dumb, if it doesn't effect gameplay then it's tolerable, but once something it altered/removed then I get a bitter resentful feeling of hatred. Luckily in my case I never had any interest in this game and wasn't going to get it anyway, but I feel for those who need to deal with this BS.

Amusing story, while this isn't censorship persay, it has to do with "dumbing down" localization fer uz dum mericuns hear in teh US of A. Path of Radiance, the FE game for the Gamecube, when it was localized, NoA removed maniac mode. Not only that, but in it's place put in a new easy mode. I literally felt insulted. I actually imported a JP version just so I could access that mode and out of spite.

Alright my rant is over. My condolences to those disappointed about the idiocy of censorship.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the hatred for Radiant Dawn dumbing down the difficulty and implementing Battle Save mode?

Translation error on NoA's part. The modes differ in name only, and Hard certainly would be for people who haven't played FE3 or before.

Translation error on NoA's part. The modes differ in name only, and Hard certainly would be for people who haven't played FE3 or before.

I was aware of the name differences.

And I was aware that enemy stats weren't changed.

What I meant were mechanical differences such as:

Allowed promotion to third tier without master crowns.

Gave Dawn Brigade PRF weapons to buff the character effectiveness.

Battle Saves.

Forge Point Limitation removal.

Slight item buffs.

Skill activation rate increase. For Wrath (oh man, Edward) and Resolve.

Starting Stats for Leonardo and Edward was buffed.

These are arguably changes that dumb down the difficulty.

I've played both versions. I'm not just going off the difficulty names.

Those seemingly miniscule mechanical changes affected Hard (Maniac) the most, believe me. Especially the Dawn Brigade.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Where's the hatred for Radiant Dawn dumbing down the difficulty and implementing Battle Save mode?

Well, Radiant Dawn's mechanical changes can be interpreted as fixes, tweaks, balancing or additional features. In PoR they were just plain and simply removing an entire difficulty level.

Which reminds me, thanks for making that English patch for PoR. I know that was a long time ago but I was only recently able to start playing it. I'm very glad to finally be able to play that game's Maniac mode.

Edited by BrightBow

Let's not forget Radiant Dawn had huge chunks of text removed because the extended script was not translated. This removes some bits of character development and even causes some plot holes.

Let's not forget Radiant Dawn had huge chunks of text removed because the extended script was not translated. This removes some bits of character development and even causes some plot holes.

To me, this is far more devastating than removing a swimsuit. There's reinterpreting the script to add character because the original translation would be very dry like old Final Fantasy translations (making FF6 more beloved in North America than it is in Japan!) or inappropriate for the target audience (removing Cordelia/Caeldori's boob angst gimmick, complete rewrite of Azama/Kagero's supports because it was sexual harassment), but there was a significant amount of script straight up omitted in RD, especially towards the endgame. And it was story text and not just fluff.

I don't know too much about TMS changes other than accidentally removing some of the visual impact of one dungeon due to sweeping removal of child sexuality, but I feel like otherwise the games made it out relatively intact. PoR lost an entire mode, RD lost something like 10-15% of its total script, Fates removed the Saizo-Beruka C support to fuel a dumb joke and also did not find a way to replace lost text from removing the skinship game. How much did story information TMS really lose in the end?

Allowed promotion to third tier without master crowns.

This didn't matter, and it also lowered the Master Crown count which prevented a lot of potential early promotions.

Gave Dawn Brigade PRF weapons to buff the character effectiveness.

Only Nolan got a buff, and he still got bodied by laguz.

Battle Saves.

Normal mode only.

Forge Point Limitation removal.

Again, the hard parts of the game remained generally the same, just like with the weapons. The easy parts of the game remained just as easy.

Slight item buffs.

I don't actually recall any?

Skill activation rate increase. For Wrath (oh man, Edward) and Resolve.

Resolve doesn't increase Strength anymore like it did in the original Japanese, and Wrath still only activates when you're below like 30% EXP (which, again, doesn't change the difficulty of the easy sections, and doesn't change the difficulty of the hard sections because the units who can consistently get to Wrath/Resolve range really blow. And Edward still blows.

Starting Stats for Leonardo and Edward was buffed.

Yeah, but they still blow. +1 Str and like +2 Spd aren't gonna change how much they blow (and their starting level was buffed too).

Overall I don't even think Radiant Dawn dumbed anything down except for Normal Mode Battle Saves, and even that is moreso a result of a franchise that was failing to appeal to Western audiences and when the difficulty they labeled "Normal mode" gets stupidly tedious it could turn people off. That's probably why that's more forgiven, although it definitely didn't dumb much down in Hard Mode, considering those little things you mentioned are hindrances to some people (like the fact that there are less Master Crowns available). Radiant Dawn had an easy Part 4, easy Greil Mercs chapters, and difficult 2-E (aside from the Hammer thing)/easy part 2 and difficult part 1 regardless of all of those things you mentioned, and changing wrath from a Skl% chance at 30% HP to just a +50 boost at 30% HP actually does not affect the difficulty at all because of the reasons why the difficult chapters are difficult.

Let's not forget Radiant Dawn had huge chunks of text removed because the extended script was not translated.

It was translated. I think they fucked up. The US version was very buggy on first release. Like with transfers you couldn't transfer from an easy mode file on FE9 on the initial release of the game. Edited by Lord Raven

I concede to all your difficulty points.

But Serenes scenes involving Lehran's memories were cut completely.

That's why I gave up making an UNDUB.

There were no voice files for those lines.

Same with Altina's (Or whatever her name is. The one that dual weilded Ragnell and Ettard(Alondite)) voiced lines that was included in the Japanese promotion file included on the disc.

"My beloved Lehran".

My thing is "censorship" complaints are... meh. The difficulty was changed because the system PoR had was pretty much hardcoded to only handle three difficulty modes on events .

And this was a time when Fire Emblem was a very niche following in the West.

Maniac Mode was easier to replace with an Easy Mode than it was to add a new mode altogether.

Being upset for that reason seemed a little petty to me.

As for item buffs in RD, I recall the Tempest Sword getting more crit, another item getting more crit, and another getting more accuracy?

But anyways, the skill activation thing with Wrath and Resolve meant you couldn't cheese hard mode with those skills with high risk high reward situations. It was a big difference in my comparison playthroughs.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Yeah, I actually suspect its localization issues were as a result of a localization team that just went ahead and changed a bunch of random shit in the game that they either ended up throwing stuff to the wayside (some voiced scenes) or forgetting to keep them (extended dialogue).

RD was probably believed to not sell that much based on PoR's sales, so as far as VA related scenes I guess they only budgeted the bare minimum that would be seen on every difficulty mode. Though it really does suck that in some way or another, we lost those scenes.

Even if PoR's removal of Maniac was because the game is likely hard coded to only support three difficulty modes, even Normal is very easy compared to the GBA games that outsold PoR immensely. I don't think it was a good decision on NOA's part to make that big of a change. I can see RD's changes as a significant rebalance though, rather than "censorship". In Easy mode, Edward and Leonardo can get a lot of mileage out of their new weapons for players who haven't planned in advance for feeding exp into your favoured units in 3-6. Not everyone has a super Jill or promoted Nolan with a crossbow and Beastbane. NoA had also previously rebalanced Sacred Stones, though not as drastically and there's not much heard about it.

I don't really care about censorship too much if there is a good reason for it. If it is meant to be E, or E10+ at most, then I think it is understandable. I may start questioning censorship when it's meant for a more mature audience.

I would draw the line, however, when Nintendo go as far as to restrict our purchase choices through region-lock. As a censorship measure, I find that really dumb, because I strongly doubt that many western kids under 15 (in Australia) or 13? (in the US? What's the minimum age for a Teen rating?) would be sufficiently bilingual, so there would be not much reason why they would buy a Japanese version. Plus, there are less physical stores selling overseas games, and thus generally requires internet access and a credit card, which I doubt most kids have. And don't most purchase sites require you to be above a certain age to do your own purchases anyway?

As for the minority that do know a overseas language and do have access to internet purchase, a disclaimer stating that Nintendo is not responsible for usage outside of its intended region should suffice - the parents should take the ultimate responsibility.

Also, from what I have heard, Xbox and PS3-4 doesn't have problems with out-of-region games, and Nintendo had no problems with region-free GBs, GBAs, and DSs, so why should Nintendo be so nervous about inappropriate out-of-region content on the DSi/3DS?

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, Dragonage2ftw said:

Because hating Razƶrfist HAS NO LIMITS.

Actually. . .

Threads created for the purpose of trolling or harassing someone or a group of people (members of these forums or otherwise) by calling them out in a public thread are disallowed.

Given the context, even if it isn't a thread, it ain't allowed.

• 2 weeks later...
On September 14, 2016 at 5:45 AM, henrymidfields said:

Also, from what I have heard, Xbox and PS3-4 doesn't have problems with out-of-region games, and Nintendo had no problems with region-free GBs, GBAs, and DSs, so why should Nintendo be so nervous about inappropriate out-of-region content on the DSi/3DS?

I would guess the same reason Project M shut themselves down without a Cease-and-Desist(Yes, Eclipse, I know I'm responding to something from last year too, please forgive me) - they talked to someone experienced in that field, that someone said that in theory, if someone wanted to they COULD go after them for it, and of course they figured it'd be better to just do it themselves. Does it explain everything? No, but it's the best theory I have and it at least explains a part of the deal.

As for Censorship, I'd say it depends on what and why - removing swimsuits from games like SMT#FE orĀ Fates can be seen both as an attempt to be douches and as an attempt to make the game more safe to access for younger players. I'm more frustrated about the Cipher DLC in Fates not carrying over, so I have to go buy a JP 3DS and copy of Fates if I want to use my Masked Lucina, Special Marth, or Fire Emblem Anniversary Theme codes from ordering the decks - it feels like a lack of foresight to only have those codes work on JP versions.