Tournament feedback the 3rd (Smash 4)

Jedi

As Nerf Me to the Moon Wii U ended and 3DS is starting to get to the end of its run, I figured its time for another one of these, and as you know, the next gimmick tourney is in the voting phase http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=64659

Is there anything you lot would like to see in the next standard tourney? Doubles perhaps? A bigger group of players? Seeing as we are getting alot more people interested in general it seems like. If you'd like to voice future ideas for gimmick tourneys that works too.

I'm open to suggestions for changing up the next traditional tourney a little bit, but nothing like not tourney legal, just mild suggestions, if people have a arguments for a stage being legal, this is the time to voice it, also peoples opinions on Halberd would be nice to know, since we've had it be "legal" the past few tourneys.

Also 3DS folks, I would like to hear your opinions as well, considering I scrapped up that stage list with the best intentions but was unsure how it'd work out, among other things.

This is also a good time to ask me questions about what goes on behind the scenes when I set these tournaments up, if you are curious.

Current Champions of Past Tourneys

Revival of Serenes Forest Smash: IceSage

Joined By Fate: Dotty

Radiant Confrontation: IceSage

Nerf Me to the Moon Wii U: IceSage

Nerf Me to the Moon 3DS: Undecided

Edited by Jedi

This is not really gimmicky, but it's a different method that allows everyone to get more tournament time, with a guaranteed 9 fights (or 11, if there will be a loser's bracket afterwards) for everyone. You may recognise it from our skype convo:

- 4 groups, 4 players placed randomly in each group (total 16 players)

- Everyone fights against each opponent in their group.
- 3 games per opponent, 3 stock, 8 minutes.
- All items: Off. Custom abilities: Disallowed. Custom equipment: Disallowed.
- Every participant will fight every other participant in their own group exactly 3 times, regardless of result.
- Points earned during this stage of the tournament are earned based on the number of stocks you take from your opponent.
- Do not give up even after losing the first 2 games, because you can still take points for yourself in the final game. If you forfeit, your opponent automatically gains 3 points for every unplayed game, and you gain 0 points.
Example: Player 1 wins all 3 games against player 2 with all 9 stocks intact. Player 1 gains 9 points for taking all of player 2's stocks, while player 2 gains 0 points for taking none of player 1's stocks. So keep track of your stocks, and be honest.
- Save your replays, or at least take a picture/screenshot of the results screens of each match.
- In the event of 2 players equal in points earned after everyone has played against 3 opponents, the winner (whoever won at least 2 of the 3 games, regardless of stock) of the match between the 2 players will be considered the higher ranked.
- Once the round robin is over with, top 8 will go into a normal QF tourney bracket. there may also be a loser's bracket for the bottom 8, if host sees fit.

I remember this idea, and its kind of like a round robin of sorts before turning more traditional! Been thinking about incorporating this one sometime soon, i'd just need more feedback on it! Thanks for voicing it again.

I have a friend who would like to join, doesn't have a Serenes account as he's not an FE fan, who decided against joining due to his preference for 2v2 tourneys. As such, I'd like to request a 2v2 tourney later down the road.

I'd also like to sign up for this one if you'll have me, and don't mind my possibly offensive taunts

For 3DS tourneys, you should ban the c-stick so original 3DS users like myself aren't at a disadvantage.

You should also ban IceSage from being champion so newcomers aren't discouraged from participating by his win streak.

I have a friend who would like to join, doesn't have a Serenes account as he's not an FE fan, who decided against joining due to his preference for 2v2 tourneys. As such, I'd like to request a 2v2 tourney later down the road.

I'd also like to sign up for this one if you'll have me, and don't mind my possibly offensive taunts

we tried a 2v2 tourney like a year ago and a lot of sets were nigh-unplayable due to the lag iirc

EDIT: altho I think the real problem is that scheduling for people to ask be available at the same time for ~half an hour was even more impossible. We already have problems getting 1v1s to run on schedule.

It's a real shame, too, since I love the team format =(

Edited by Euklyd

I do like Raven's idea of "pools" but I think random seeding within the pools would be a mistake though, if 4 out of the top say, 10 players were in one pool things would get kinda silly.

Regardless I like the current format anyway. I don't think we needed to add Halberd as a stage though.

I do like Raven's idea of "pools" but I think random seeding within the pools would be a mistake though, if 4 out of the top say, 10 players were in one pool things would get kinda silly.

Regardless I like the current format anyway. I don't think we needed to add Halberd as a stage though.

Well it was voted in! Thats like the only reason I did it, it was the only stage to survive that poll haha, maybe I should do a reverse poll on that.

For 3DS tourneys, you should ban the c-stick so original 3DS users like myself aren't at a disadvantage.

You should also ban IceSage from being champion so newcomers aren't discouraged from participating by his win streak.

That would be the silliest ban ever to be honest.

If anything it inspires us to get better, and if PKL or Knife joined they'd do even better so count your lucky stars, also Ice isn't unbeatable as he has been defeated a few times.

The main thing with the 2v2 thing is, as much as I'd like to do it, as Euk said it could be tricky to get scheduled properly. Its partly why I'm on the fence about it, and yes you are more than welcome to join the next one whenever I start sign ups.

Edited by Jedi

Do Swiss. Also let me know about the next

How many teams would you suggest for a Swiss styled tournament? If I did it with teams that is.

Also will do.

Edited by Jedi

Teams? What?

I've hosted a 2 vs 2 tourney on here back in the Brawl days, it was the most frustrating shit to push and finish. I'd try to dig my old topic up, but the search function is kinda bad (How do I find all threads that I've created in this subforum?). That said, Wii U wifi is much better than Brawl's so the matches should be fun.

Swiss with like 5 rounds is better than bracket IMO for online stuff than double elimination bracket. People can keep playing (or drop out if they're doing bad and don't feel like playing anymore).

Edited by Knife

I was just wondering how you'd do it with Teams, because people have been asking me for a teams tourney for awhile, 5 rounds swiss sounds good though for just regular stuff!

I'll be talking with people and something should pop up again.

A small bump, just to ask people.

I'm thinking of trying the Swiss idea for both Wii U and 3DS, this way everyone in the tourney can play tons of rounds, and its by points.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in this smash forum.

Not only is the New3ds C-stick awkward, banning controller schemes is asking to be mocked.

This is coming from the guy that uses every single control scheme for smash, including DK bongos and Fight Sticks in Brawl mapped to the Wiimote setting.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Sounds good to me.

Late reply, but yeah. The next 3DS and Wii U regular tourneys will be Swiss styled, whats Swiss you ask?

Well basically 16 people will be in a tournament like before, but we'll have 5 rounds, matches will be done like usual, but there won't be any elimination, you will earn points by winning your set, and the next match you'll be paired with someone who is close to your point count, this way, everyone gets to play for the full tourney, and we all get a good work out to boot.

This is coming from the guy that uses every single control scheme for smash, including DK bongos and Fight Sticks in Brawl mapped to the Wiimote setting.

You used the DK Bongos? Whaaat?

Did you also use Donkey Kong? Did you win?