What's this about?

Alex95

Hackers, most probably. Some browsers are created especially for hacking, so doing a browser scan is a good defense mechanism.

It might be temporary (1-2 weeks) or it might be permanent. Who knows.

Took you long enough to notice about that, lmao.

I'm pretty sure the attackers don't know a shit about hacking, DDoS is based about a lot of users refreshing the page at the same time to increase the traffic and crash the page. That being said, if they're still attacking, they must be using bots or something to do that.

Took you long enough to notice about that, lmao.

It's been going on for the past couple of days now, but I figured it end after a bit. But it's still happening. Not exactly a problem, per se, but an annoyance.

But if it's to prevent hacking, then I'm all for it.

The real question is why the hell would the hackers choose this of all sites.

People who got mad that Corrin's in Smash?

I've been having these problems as well, it didn't cross my mind that it could be hackers :p

I noticed this also, and was wondering about it. Maybe its related to how the site was down a few days back?

People who got mad that Corrin's in Smash?

I've been having these problems as well, it didn't cross my mind that it could be hackers :p

They're awfully late then! That was months ago!

The real question is why the hell would the hackers choose this of all sites.

Well, it's a large community. So plenty of people to steal info from and annoy...

And who's to say it's only this site? Anyone come across a different site using the same measure?

Well, it's a large community. So plenty of people to steal info from and annoy...

And who's to say it's only this site? Anyone come across a different site using the same measure?

Have actually, but I doubt it was the same hacker.

A DDoS attack has nothing to do with hacking. This was a safety precaution to keep the site useable during the weekend.

Nah, actually DDoS doesn't steal any kind of info, just crashes the page. That's why you don't need any hacking skills to do it. That is, I have read that a guy did a DDoS on a famous site and got arrested (but that is to be expected)

Edited by CrystalPoke

There is no crashing involved. It's a flood of requests. It basically queues up so many requests that it backs up the processor to the point where it takes an eternity for it to finally get to your request, meaning pages don't load for a really, really long time. The request may even time out before it gets to it.

That's only one type, though. There's also ways to attack bandwidth and other things to bring a site down. It's very illegal, though, so if you're caught doing it you can indeed be given jail time.

A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) is where the attack source is more than one, often thousands of, unique IP addresses. It is analogous to a group of people crowding the entry door or gate to a shop or business, and not letting legitimate parties enter into the shop or business, disrupting normal operations...

A distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attack occurs when multiple systems flood the bandwidth or resources of a targeted system, usually one or more web servers. Such an attack is often the result of multiple compromised systems (for example a botnet) flooding the targeted system with traffic. A botnet is a network of zombie computers programmed to receive commands without the owners' knowledge. When a server is overloaded with connections, new connections can no longer be accepted. The major advantages to an attacker of using a distributed denial-of-service attack are that multiple machines can generate more attack traffic than one machine, multiple attack machines are harder to turn off than one attack machine, and that the behavior of each attack machine can be stealthier, making it harder to track and shut down. These attacker advantages cause challenges for defense mechanisms. For example, merely purchasing more incoming bandwidth than the current volume of the attack might not help, because the attacker might be able to simply add more attack machines. This after all will end up completely crashing a website for periods of time.

Just to go into more detail of what a DDoS is

Have you heard the saying "to become the best, you must eliminate all other contendants"? There are more fire emblem sites out there you know. Need i say more?

This is just unnecessary conspiracy theory shit, especially since if they wanted to eliminate SF from the web there's a lot better and less preventable ways to do it. The most likely answer is someone got banned, got salty about it and is now taking their "revenge"

So, a DDoS is a way to help with flood control, to help the site keep track of how many people are coming in?

There is no crashing involved. It's a flood of requests. It basically queues up so many requests that it backs up the processor to the point where it takes an eternity for it to finally get to your request, meaning pages don't load for a really, really long time. The request may even time out before it gets to it.

That's only one type, though. There's also ways to attack bandwidth and other things to bring a site down. It's very illegal, though, so if you're caught doing it you can indeed be given jail time.

Don't hack SF. Got it :P:

Nah, actually DDoS doesn't steal any kind of info, just crashes the page. That's why you don't need any hacking skills to do it. That is, I have read that a guy did a DDoS on a famous site and got arrested (but that is to be expected)

How did I not get a notification from you quoting me?

This after all will end up completely crashing a website for periods of time.

Whoever wrote this used poor wording. A crash is generally a system error that completely stops whatever program is executing, from executing and the process is killed. A DDoS generally has no relation to this and requests are still being processed. The problem is solely that it is taking too long, or there's not enough bandwidth for the server to reply. An attack that actually stops processes from running at all on the server is more of an exploit. While that could be done in combination with a DDoS attack, that does not relate to the definition of a distributed denial of service.

To be fair I took that from a Wikipedia article, although that's still weird because even the symptoms section of that page doesn't include crashing anywhere (Link), so it's likely someone who thought DDoS = Crash edited it without doing research or scrolling up.

Edited by Soapbar