Tales of Berseria

Except I'm pretty sure Heldalf was the first Lord of Calamity. Like Zestiria's plot was really dumb and made it seem like it was hundreds of years ago and there were multiples but then he becamse the first one and it was when Sorey was just a child. So it was only 20 years ago.

Really?

I though the Lord of Calamity was a title given to the most dangerous Hellion. Wasn't Heldalf simply the most poweful Lord of Calamity?

Edited by Water Mage

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I'm pretty sure Hellions existed, but Heldalf became so corrupted he became the first Lord of Calamity.

Admittedly that whole scene and plotline is super unclear but the Lord of Calamity and the Shepards didn't exist until like the past 20 years which doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Zestiria's plot is really bad

You have my attention. Say what you will about ToZ's story/characters, but I adored the world it was in!

I liked the world, but it seemed small. Not having a boat or an airship and being able to just walk everywhere made it seem like the world was a lot smaller than every other Tales game. Not too mention a lot of the large, empty fields. So it felt too big and too small, simultaneously, which is a dubious achievement.

I liked the world, but it seemed small. Not having a boat or an airship and being able to just walk everywhere made it seem like the world was a lot smaller than every other Tales game. Not too mention a lot of the large, empty fields. So it felt too big and too small, simultaneously, which is a dubious achievement.

To be fair, it wasn't really a world, but ratther a continent.

Maybe that's why it felt so small?

There are actually parts of the world they reference like volcanos and some sort of snowy wintery land that they specifically mention wanting to see and then not going to. So there is apparently more in the world.

Zestiria just being a set up for this game feels really bad to me though, but that's obviously what it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Tales of Berseria, to be released in the West for the PlayStation 4 and PC Digital (via Steam) platforms, will officially be released on January 24, 2017 in North America and January 27, 2017 in Europe!

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/07/tales-berseria-releases-americas-january-24-europe-january-27-2017/

Edited by Naoshi

While I haven't played the game, and I don't know much about the story, I have heard a lot of people who played the game compared he game's story to the Berserk manga, particulary the first half of the game.

They also said that the game drags a bit towards the end, though to be fair, most Tales of games tend to drag a bit when they are reaching the end.

(looks at backlog of tales games to play) oh great another one (notices the ps3 version isnt coming to america) nevermind berseria has vesperia syndrome. I will probably play it later but i dont like pc and i dont feel like getting a system for one game. also i play tales for the story and characters and i would like to not have to look up the story after playing a game. The ps4 will probably get more tales games but at this point not worth it

Yeah, it's unfortunate that Berseria has the same problem like Vesperia.

I'm afraid of that the price of the JP version for PS3 won't be reduced until the game has been released everywhere else. So I still have to wait till I can buy this game.

At least you won't miss any content in the western version unlike it was the case in Vesperia.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

In case you're all curious about the cameo battles

the cameos aren't surprising in the slightest, rather underwhelming, and that irrelevant, but afaik

First, Jude

Then, Milla

Finally, Jude and Milla

In my everso humble onion, Abyss handled cameos the best way.

• 1 month later...

Finally I got the PS3 copy.

Since it's in Japanese, it'll be "hard" to understand the story. However I still can give details about the gameplay.

[spoiler= A few impressions]

• It has the darkest earlygame of all Tales of parts I've played yet.
  • I like the skill system: Learning new artes depends how often use a given art. It's similar to Vesperia's system except that the arte bar rises instead of the weapon bar.
  • It introduces a new special attack / arte I still have to find out how it works. Has to do with overlimit, but I'm not entirely sure.
  • The overworld map desgin reminds pretty much on Zestiria's (which isn't a surprise for being story related).
  • The dungeons and overworld fields have more enemies than in Zestiria. Encounter links appear, but they're different. You fight actually more than two groups of monsters because lots of reinforcements will appear after the first monsters are killed. It's very possible to fight more than a dozen of monsters in one single fight. It's a nice way to get some experience.
  • Berseria introduces the "substituion" mechanic. (maybe it appaers in an other part I haven't played yet, anyways it's the first time I saw that) You have access to all your party members. In each battle your team consists of four units like usual, but the unconsidered units can take part of the battle at any time by replacing one of your current team units. It's a great mechanic, very useful if someone died. I'm not 100% sure, but I might have seen that you can replace even dead party members. That automatically means that gives you 1-2 more lives. (depending how large your team is)
  • This game seems to be really easy. I play on normal but the opponents do almost nothing. Most stand and get wrecked for the most part. Exception are the the elite monsters, which are still tough and the hardest enemies of the game. The fourth elite monster, a bird, gives me lots of trouble.
Edited by Ayama Wirdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zw2oVRr3Mshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zw2oVRr3Ms

Once more Bamco is in the mood to censor things for the west.

Are the party members still kinda gimped like they were in Zesteria to encourage armatization? Or is that not a thing?

I don't think armatization is a thing there.

I think I have played it long enough yet (~5h) to can confirm yet. Otherwise it should have been introduced already.

Velvet can transform all alone without using another party member in battles which gives her special attacks / artes.

I guess, this replaces the armatization.

Edited by Ayama Wirdo

• 3 weeks later...

Beaten Berseria.

[spoiler=my thoughts]

• It's the most talkative Tales of game I've played yet. This game had a lot of conversations. Since I can't understand JP I don't know their content. But I highly guess this game focusses more on story and characters.
  • Gameplay: Read my post #41. Better than Zestiria for me.
  • Dungeons and overworld: I have to say the design of the dungeons is the only real disappointment for me. This game had very few interesting and creatively designed dungeons. There were like two dungeons which challenging puzzle, but even Zestiria had more gimmicks in them. At least the overworld isn't as empty as it was in Zestiria. Also encounter-links became more interesting and challenging in ToB.
  • Final boss is pretty good.

First part reminds on Xillia 1 and second one on Vesperia.

• This game is rather easy. It's even made for people for me like who don't understand JP. This game tells you directly which place to travel next, if you click on the target (star). Also if you play as Velvet (who's totally OP) you can get into the battles pretty fast. In general I found this game easier than other parts I've played yet. Unlike in Zestiria I didn't have to lower the mode. Normal was a fair deal, maybe a bit too easy in the first half. But I just barely could beat the final boss.

If you focus on story, characters a / o gameplay more than on dungeons, then you will have defintiely fun with this game.

If you want to have a Tales of game with tough puzzles, then this game might disappoint you.

All in all it wasn't the best Tales of game I've played, but it was fine in total. More enjoyable than Zestiria.

Oh, it's out. I'll see if it pops up used somewhere. As for that censored scene. . .

That is the most badass censor I've ever seen.

Dang, I hope that spoiler wasn't too plot relevant.

I guess I only have one more month to wait for the game now, but I'm not sure how free time I'll have to play it.

This is game is a bit longer than most other Tales parts because of the tons of conversations.

>= 40 h

I think I've probably put at least 40 hours into every Tales game per playthrough. Although I do go out of my way to get as many side quests as I can.

Over 40 hours huh?

Well, as a guy who typically clocks in roughly 50-60 hours for each Tales game(no exceptions), that's just par the course for me. However, I'm now curious, what is the ratio of "talking:action" since you mentioned the talking?