How come dead NPC units come back to life?

CobyTheGoober

So I've been doing some stuff for Fooker Emblem, and in one of the chapters there is a recruitable NPC unit. In the chapter that he appears, if he dies as an NPC unit, he comes back the next chapter as playable character. This doesn't happen if he dies as a PC in the same chapter he appears. How do I make it so that if he dies as an NPC in the chapter he first appears, he doesn't come back in the next chapter?

IFCD won't work, you need to attach a permanent event ID to his death quote and then use conditional events in the following chapter to determine whether or not he spawns.

IFCD won't work, you need to attach a permanent event ID to his death quote and then use conditional events in the following chapter to determine whether or not he spawns.

in nightmare, i gave him a trigger id of a value lower than 0x02, or0x01 and etc. And im guessing that in the following chapter i have to use some sort of event code to related to that value? (The thing i used for the units trigger id was 0x64)

You'll want to give his death quote an ID greater than 0x65 so that the game stores the value for later use.

IDs less than 0x65 are reset between chapters.

You'll probably want a death quote specifically for the chapter where he's an NPC, and a separate one for all the other chapters.

So I gave him an ID larger than 0x65 (0x69) and in the ending events, I have a condition that checks if he's active on the map or not. If he is still alive as either a npc or pc, it goes to the dialogue where he is included, and if he's not active on the map, NPC or PC, it goes to the other text that doesn't include him. Now while that works, in the next chapter he still appears as playable pc.

The ending events are below in the spoiler.

Ending_event:
FADI 5
FADU 10
IFUF 0 0x69 0x09
MUS1 0x38
BACG 0x05
TEX1 0x829
MUS1 0x4F
MORETEXT 0x82E
REMA
FADI 7
MoveToChapter(0x04)
ELSE 0x04
ENIF 0x69
FADI 5
FADU 10
MUS1 0x4F
BACG 0x05
TEX1 0x82A
REMA
FADI 7
MoveToChapter(0x04)
ENIF 0x04
ENDA

Neither IFUF or IFCD are going to help you in this case. Those are specifically for player units, not NPCs. You'll want to use either IFET or IFEF.

Also, you're using event IDs in spots that require conditional IDs instead (they aren't the same thing).

Try something more like this:

Ending_event:
// Do some setup

IFET 0x01 0x69
    // He's dead, Jim; Handle it
ELSE 0x02
ENIF 0x01
    // They're still alive
ENIF 0x02
ENDA

Neither IFUF or IFCD are going to help you in this case. Those are specifically for player units, not NPCs. You'll want to use either IFET or IFEF.

Also, you're using event IDs in spots that require conditional IDs instead (they aren't the same thing).

Try something more like this:

Ending_event:
// Do some setup

IFET 0x01 0x69
    // He's dead, Jim; Handle it
ELSE 0x02
ENIF 0x01
    // They're still alive
ENIF 0x02
ENDA

So I tried that, and the problem is still happening.

The ending event is in the spoiler down below.

Ending_event:
FADI 5
FADU 10
IFET 0x03 0x69
FADI 5
FADU 10
MUS1 0x4F
BACG 0x05
TEX1 0x82A
REMA
FADI 7
MoveToChapter(0x04)