Why is the term "Beorc" even a thing?

Recently, I finally managed to get my hands on Path of Radiance and currently on the beginning on CH12. However, the conversation between Ranulf and Ike in CH10 left me questioning the term Beorc, which I already found slightly odd prior to even playing, but otherwise ignored it:

Ranulf
Well, aren't you the dutiful one! Hey, that reminds me...you were born here in Gallia, right? I knew there was something odd about you. You're awfully friendly for a beorc, you know! Oh, you might not know, but a beorc is what--

Ike

I know what it means. It's what you call us humans, right?

Ranulf

Oh, knew that, did you? Well then, let me tell you something else. When we use the word "human," we mean it much the way you beorc do when you call us "sub-human."

Ike

Really? It's an insult to be called human? I'm glad you told me. I would never have guessed.
My thought on the italicized being, shouldn't it be the other way around; That by pure definition, "beorc" would be their equivalent slur against humans, like how the humans/beorcs use the term "sub-human" for the Laguz? Or is there something that I'm missing, given that I lack proper knowledge of the Tellius games, past general overview? Otherwise, I see it as unnecessary.

Beorc is the official name of the human races in Tellius. Laguz is the official name of the beast tribes. The people in Begnion started calling the Laguz, Sub-human because human to them was a term for the chosen people of Ashera most likely. Laguz on the other hand seeing their pomposity decided that human was something they would intone in a way as to make it an insult.

That's why when beorc are called human by each other or laguz, they don't see the insult but Laguz do. Sub-human is pretty straightforward. I hope this helps.

In my mind, I had a feeling that it wouldn't really matter in the long run for something so trivial, which made me slightly hesitant to hit post. Although, from what you just linked, my viewpoint stems (not word for word, but basically) from this single sentence:

If the viewpoint characters in the work encounter a lifeform that's new to them but already familiar to an alien culture, the alien culture will probably have their own word for it, and there's no reason for that to match the real-world name of the thing.

I just find it weird how the Laguz would use the term that they[humans] already go by as a means of insulting them. From what I've seen, human and beorc seem to be used interchangeably by both beorcs and laguz

EDIT @Raguna: Yes, that pretty much explains it, I suppose. Thanks!

Edited by Hero-King

they can have children with laguz which means there not human since humans cant have children with animals. That is the way i looked at it