Sonic General - Sonic Mania+ is 5$ for those who own Mania

Jedi

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

So, did anyone play Sonic Forces already? I still haven’t bought it, but what are the opinions of those who played it?

I haven't had the chance yet, but the userscores on Metacritic are ranging from high 7's to 8's right now.

I tend to trust the userscores more than critic scores in terms of these, but then again I also need to try it myself to see where I stand as well

Edited by Jedi

6 minutes ago, Jedi said:

I haven't had the chance yet, but the userscores on Metacritic are ranging from high 7's to 8's right now.

That’s actually pretty good. Reviews from this game have so...divise. And there’s Polygon who did a review on a leaked copy, so I really don’t trust them. I get the feeling that the Sonic Fandom really doesn’t know what they want from a game. Like, the game could be amazing, but a lot of people would still hate it, because well...it’s Sonic. It’s like they complain for complaining’s sake or have unrealistic expectations.

Edited by Water Mage

1 minute ago, Water Mage said:

That’s actually pretty good. Reviews from this game have so...divise. And there’s Polygon who did a review on a leaked copy, so I really don’t trust. I get the feeling that the Sonic Fandom really doesn’t know what they want from a game. Like, the game could be amazing,  but a lot of people would still hate it, because well...it’s Sonic. 

Well I have my own issues with the game before I even play it since I just want an entire game of Modern Sonic styled boost gameplay and i'm being forced to play gimped Classic Sonic (when we got the amazing Mania), and the OC's style. I'll see how I feel but I'm just annoyed with that personally. 

Plus the one game that was purely modern Sonic (Colors) was made too methodical for my own taste so I've just really wanted an entire game of Modern Stages like Unleashed & Generations had. 

The success of Forces critically is possibly the only way I can maybe get that in the future.

Has anyone got their hands on it yet? Honestly it's probably not a game I'm getting soon (mainly because I am saving up for a PC and Switch).... but how does classic sonic feel?  I've heard that Classic Sonic feels quite bastardized (I can see how it would be inferior to Mania, but I'm hearing that it even feels worse than Colors and Generations...). If that really is true, that is very unfortunate because Classic Sonic in Generations didn't quite do it for me to begin with....

1 hour ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Has anyone got their hands on it yet? Honestly it's probably not a game I'm getting soon (mainly because I am saving up for a PC and Switch).... but how does classic sonic feel?  I've heard that Classic Sonic feels quite bastardized (I can see how it would be inferior to Mania, but I'm hearing that it even feels worse than Colors and Generations...). If that really is true, that is very unfortunate because Classic Sonic in Generations didn't quite do it for me to begin with....

I have the game and have about 2 hours into the game.

Overall, I'm enjoying the game.  The gameplay feels more Sonic Colors than Generations tbh.  Mostly in its level design, the length of them and how you progress.  I am playing it on the switch and I do suspect the game looks and performs better on a non switch verison since it plays at 720p at 30fps whereas PS4 and XboxOne plays it at 60fps and higher resolution.

The controls....work.  Not the best but not the worst like everyone claims to be.  It feels like the generation engine tbh and not much to say from it.  Out of the missions though I definitely do enjoy the avatar stages the best.  The Classic Stages are fine and work for what they are going for.  Modern Stages get much better in later levels.  But a bit too early for me to judge.

Below is a video of me playing the game blind on first try.  Overall, I actually really enjoy the character interactions.  It's the best one in the series yet and has a lot of great cheesy dialogues.  The plot is essentially what I've been looking for in a Sonic game for a long time.  Freedom fighters against Dr. Eggman style story.

Is it the best?  Not really but in actuality, I am enjoying the game despite all the mixed reception people are going around.

So the current metacritic user scores are as follows 

PS4: 7.6 
Xbox One 7.3 
Switch: 6.8 
PC 7.5 
Steam: 63% positive 

Its split people down the middle since the PC fixes

I've beaten the game.

Overall, it's not bad but it's not amazing.  It's a middleground of some great stuff but at the same some unneeded things.

The few issues I do have with the game are, the camera and the graphical assets sometimes blend in with Sonic and the Avatar characters to the point I can't tell where they are and it screws up my track with where they are when I want to do some platforming or boosting.  This wasn't an issue in generations and colors for me but for some reason it was a bit harder to identify in this game.

Classic Sonic levels were.....unneeded.  The game should have just stuck with Modern Sonic and Avatar levels and refined them through that.  They feel very shoehorned in and it's probably because they didn't want to get rid of it from the generations engine which is probably the basis they were using for this game.

Level designs are mostly a mix of Colors and Generations but very much focused on Colors design.  But not to the point of every level being only 1 min.  It's a good mixture between the two really.  The avatar levels are decent fun enough and since depending on how you customized your avatar, your level playthrough could be different depending on the weapon your carry and the different paths you can take.  While yes there maybe stuff like oh it's Chemical Plant again, their aesthetics and level designs are different enough that it's not 1 to 1.  It's more like a name branding if anything than the actual levels themselves

The character interactions are one of the better ones in the series as I enjoyed a lot of ramblings from Sonic's Friends compared to the "final boss in generations."  

The controls are pretty much generations and colors style play.  Unfortunately they still haven't fixed the stiffness of jumping and the sonic colors double jumping is still screwing me over constantly but it's not unplayable.

Personally, I actually liked this game.  But I can understand some of the people won't like it.  It's not terrible, it's not bad but it's not amazing.  So I would say give it a decent try if you can.

"Forces is not Sonic 06 but it's not Colours either."  Where's the downside?

"It's not Lost World, and it's not Adventure either."  Where's the downside?

Edited by Refa

6 minutes ago, Refa said:

"Forces is not Sonic 06 but it's not Colours either."  Where's the downside?

"It's not Lost World, and it's not Adventure either."  Where's the downside?

I think his point is that its like inbetween everything, thats just the impression I get.

Just now, Jedi said:

I think his point is that its like inbetween everything, thats just the impression I get.

Are you sure that it's not that Forces is secretly the best Sonic game????  Notice how he never referenced Generations or Adventure 2 despite people preferring both of those games to Colours and Adventure 1.  Coincidence, I think not!!!!

3 minutes ago, Refa said:

Are you sure that it's not that Forces is secretly the best Sonic game????  Notice how he never referenced Generations or Adventure 2 despite people preferring both of those games to Colours and Adventure 1.  Coincidence, I think not!!!!

Hahaha, Ntom is kind of weird in that he vastly preferred Colours over Generations but you're right!

You know, Ntom’s comment about the game being undercooked reminds me that I’ve heard that the game had a very small number of stage developers, compared to other Sonic games. And that’s why it feels so average? 

From what I'm hearing it seems like a mediocre game, which means I'm probably not gonna pick it up. Was hoping they'd make something that improved on Generations, guess that wasn't the case.

4 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

So, basically people's opinion of Sonic Forces is So Okay, It's Average? I wish I had a Switch so I could see for myself.

Switch version is legitimately terrible, the rest are ok its average yes.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

Switch version is legitimately terrible, the rest are ok its average yes.

Unfortunately I don't plan on getting a PS4 or XBOX One. Maybe I should skip Forces and just play Mania instead.

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

It's also available on Steam if you've a computer that will run it.

Nah, I think I'll pass. Video games tend to get really lag a lot on my laptop. It's not really built to play games on.

54 minutes ago, NSSKG151 said:

Unfortunately I don't plan on getting a PS4 or XBOX One. Maybe I should skip Forces and just play Mania instead.

Go for it, Forces is divisive, Mania is safer for your buck. 

I like Forces so far but its clear there is a severe lack of direction that needs to be fixed.

Edited by Jedi

I feel that the main issue with Forces is that it's painfully obvious that a lot of the game wasn't finished in time for release; the story in the second half is ridiculously rushed, essentially skipping from "introductionary segments" to "final stretch" with almost no real buildup, making the entire thing rather anticlimatic. Several of the villains have no boss fights, and there are many places where what really should have been a cutscene gets relegated to portraits talking over the world map. The result is a short game that, while playing decent enough, never really delivers on it's promises, often feeling like one big cocktease.

It should be noted, though, that the day one patch explicitly adds support for Super Sonic, which I'm almost completely certain isn't anywhere in the game. This, combined with a certain thing shown after you complete the game, makes me suspect that there might be a potential downloadable last story down the road. Don't really know how much good it would do, though, as I find the middle part of the game to be what needs the most fleshing out.