Sonic General - Sonic Mania+ is 5$ for those who own Mania

Jedi

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its such a shame Sonic forces didn't turn out to well. When seeing footage of it I always think it looks great and the premise of all the big villains returning seemed interesting. I wasn't going to rush out to buy it but I did actually plan to go do so eventually. 

Its just not how the story is supposed to go. After the Sonic Boom trainwreck the return to the style of colors and generation should have been a continuation of the rehabilitation those games put modern Sonic through. I realize Sonic's speed makes him harder to work with but it can't be that hard to keep up a consistent degree of quality. One half of unleashed, colors and Generations seemed to have done so. 

Tails being reduced to a cowardly wimp also isn't how the story is supposed to go. I'm really not sure what the logic behind that move was. 

33 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think its such a shame Sonic forces didn't turn out to well. When seeing footage of it I always think it looks great and the premise of all the big villains returning seemed interesting. I wasn't going to rush out to buy it but I did actually plan to go do so eventually. 

Its just not how the story is supposed to go. After the Sonic Boom trainwreck the return to the style of colors and generation should have been a continuation of the rehabilitation those games put modern Sonic through. I realize Sonic's speed makes him harder to work with but it can't be that hard to keep up a consistent degree of quality. One half of unleashed, colors and Generations seemed to have done so. 

Tails being reduced to a cowardly wimp also isn't how the story is supposed to go. I'm really not sure what the logic behind that move was. 

If anything the story isn't really the big issue majority have with the game.  The plot's premise is basically like how a Sonic Satam story would have been told.  After playing the game for a while really the issue is the level design and the controls.  For some reason they made the physics even worse in this version, it's way more stiff, jumps aren't consistent when you press the buttons, double jumps is near worthless.  I am perfectly fine with the story honestly as I don't expect much from the story these days but levels designs should always be a priority for any platforming games and unfortunately something happened in the development where they made the controls feel even worse and the level designs don't work with these physics.  Not to mention the level designs I feel are way worse than Colors in general as a lot of them feel very automated in many cases.  While yes older titles had automated sequences, it's way more profound in this one.

1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The Modern Sonic stuff is fine its just having only 3 stage designers for 3 different styles made all 3 styles suffer from  stages being simplistic, the game is perfectly servicable and average so its defintely a step up from Lost World, however I think the middle of the road feel everyones getting from this is going to make Sonic Team think that Boost Sonic isn't marketable (and its my favorite 3D Sonic style) so thats rather depressing. 

The design differences can be seen here, even in its simplest stage Generations had tons of alt routes, in Forces its more like Sonic Rush design mentality where alot of the game is unfortunately on auto pilot. 

Edited by Jedi

7 hours ago, Jedi said:

The design differences can be seen here, even in its simplest stage Generations had tons of alt routes, in Forces its more like Sonic Rush design mentality where a lot of the game is unfortunately on auto pilot. 

Have you ever speedran the Rush series? Not only are there many paths, but there are lots of tricks you can do to shave time. Speedrunning the Rush series requires a lot of strategy and finesse. Personally, I've always found the "There aren't enough paths" argument to be missing the point. If a level has one million paths and exactly one of them is the fastest, the other 999,999 paths will rot in a ditch, so the design was wasted. Multiple paths are not as important as the ability to switch between them, creating a faster and more complex "meta-path".

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2017 at 12:39 AM, Zera said:

Have you ever speedran the Rush series? Not only are there many paths, but there are lots of tricks you can do to shave time. Speedrunning the Rush series requires a lot of strategy and finesse. Personally, I've always found the "There aren't enough paths" argument to be missing the point. If a level has one million paths and exactly one of them is the fastest, the other 999,999 paths will rot in a ditch, so the design was wasted. Multiple paths are not as important as the ability to switch between them, creating a faster and more complex "meta-path".

No I haven't speed run the Rush series, but the main issue with it is the lack of variety on the routes and the hold boost and right to win mentality it has.

Other Sonic games design will always pail in comparison to 3&K, Generations and Mania because they lack that exploration factor. But at least the other games are honest with their more straightforward design, Forces came off of Generations and it gave us the most autopilot stages since well, as I mentioned Rush, and Advance 2.

On 11/22/2017 at 6:50 PM, Zera said:

So, you don't want autopilot and straightforward, you want the chunky resistance? In that case, you'll LOVE DKC Returns/Tropical Freeze.

How is having alternative paths like 3&K, Generations and Mania chunky?

• 3 months later...

I think this is newsworthy

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/974750532332957696

Spoiler

Sonic Mania goes packaged with Sonic Mania Plus! Mighty and Ray join as playable characters, new Encore mode, 4P Competition mode, Holographic packaging, 32-page art book, and more. Summer 2018.

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-03-16-theres-an-updated-expanded-version-of-sonic-mania-coming-this-summer

I just wonder how much they're going to charge for this. To be honest, I'm still considering if I'd actually spend money in what is pretty much a DLC with two new chars, a 4P mode (which I didn't even play on 2P) and a few new routes in pre-existing stages.

Edited by Rapier

On 3/16/2018 at 2:02 PM, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

I think this is newsworthy

https://mobile.twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/974750532332957696

Hide contents

Sonic Mania goes packaged with Sonic Mania Plus! Mighty and Ray join as playable characters, new Encore mode, 4P Competition mode, Holographic packaging, 32-page art book, and more. Summer 2018.

Looks good to me, I heard the people who already own Mania will get a deal of some kind so maybe it'll be like Shovel Knight and just update?

Speaking of this DLC I wonder why they didn’t do more, I mean, they have resources and it’s almost anyear old. I feel like they could have some new stages and such. Perhaps I’m asking to much, I mean, they did create two whole new characters, but still, this DLC feels...small.

Edited by Water Mage

17 hours ago, Water Mage said:

Speaking of this DLC I wonder why they didn’t do more, I mean, they have resources and it’s almost anyear old. I feel like they could have some new stages and such. Perhaps I’m asking to much, I mean, they did create two whole new characters, but still, this DLC feels...small.

I think we're too spoiled by Shovel Knight tbh, but overall i'm very excited for this touch up. 

Encore seems like a cool idea. Reminds me of the Adventure 2 concept of "hard mode" versions of stages.

2 hours ago, Jedi said:

I think we're too spoiled by Shovel Knight tbh, but overall i'm very excited for this touch up. 

Encore seems like a cool idea. Reminds me of the Adventure 2 concept of "hard mode" versions of stages.

Perhaps we are being spoiled, but as I said before the DLC feels small. The game is almost year, so they had plenty of time to make more new zones. You would be suprised at how fast game development can be when you already have resources and a studio dedicated to it.

56 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Perhaps we are being spoiled, but as I said before the DLC feels small. The game is almost year, so they had plenty of time to make more new zones. You would be suprised at how fast game development can be when you already have resources and a studio dedicated to it.

Sega might not want to give them the resources they'd need for "more" considering they snubbed Mania in favor of Forces several times at Awards shows and such.

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

Sega might not want to give them the resources they'd need for "more" considering they snubbed Mania in favor of Forces several times at Awards shows and such.

But aren’t they being made by different groups? And do you think Sega is still trying to do something with Forces? I mean, the best they could for Forces is to make DLC content as long as the actual Forces game, considering how lacking the game was, but would the waste resources on that, knowing that Forces’ reception wasn’t great?

29 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

But aren’t they being made by different groups? And do you think Sega is still trying to do something with Forces? I mean, the best they could for Forces is to make DLC content as long as the actual Forces game, considering how lacking the game was, but would the waste resources on that, knowing that Forces’ reception wasn’t great?

It did well enough commercially and Sonic Team's head is a bit incompetent and full of himself so yes I would totally believe they'd keep pushing Forces, I still see ads for it on Youtube. As well as promotion. 

Japan recieved it fairly positive too. As well as Steam user reviews now putting it into the "mostly positive" catagory, and many would consider Steam user reviews the most accurate player conensus, so don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

Edited by Jedi

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Those are some pretty good new changes! Also stuff like new transitions are nice too

Yeah just nice changes all around, espcially the save option one.