Sonic General - Sonic Mania+ is 5$ for those who own Mania

Jedi

45 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

So...I’ve been hearing rumors that the Sonic Forces demo is utterly horrible. Even Gamexplain, who usually tend to look in more positive side of things hated it. Have anyone here played the demo, and if you did what’s so bad about it? I usually don’t play demos, but this got me curious.

You haven't been around Gamexplain long then. Considering everything non-Zelda they either do a piss poor job or tend to not be as fond of. 

But no I haven't tried the demo yet, its either people overreacting or a weak build or a particularly poorly designed stage being used as the demo, because I heard good things from E3 builds from people like Source Gaming.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Jedi said:

You haven't been around Gamexplain long then. Considering everything non-Zelda they either do a piss poor job or tend to not be as fond of. 

But no I haven't tried the demo yet, its either people overreacting or a weak build or a particularly poorly designed stage being used as the demo, because I heard good things from E3 builds from people like Source Gaming.

I know how Gamexplain usually is, but even this review was unusually brutal. Apparently there’s not even enough time to finish a stage in the Demo.

2 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I know how Gamexplain usually is, but even this review was unusually brutal. Apparently there’s not even enough time to finish a stage in the Demo.

Geez, well I'll try it out soon, is it on PS4 or the Switch? I checked my Switch earlier.

5 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I can now confirm this with a bump 

but it at least plays really well 

7 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Ooooooooooh. So it's not so much that it's "bad". But the fact that the demo barely gives you any time to do anything.

Yeah, I think gamexplain was going after their usual clickbait, should have said "too short" or something.

58 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

I see, thought I do wonder why they made it so short...

no idea and people complain about the play limit demos.  This one outright just gives you 1 min and reboots the game.

Most of the negativity is honestly overexaggerated considering most of the demo levels are literally the first levels of the game.  Levels that usually don't have that much of the so called amazing level designs that could be in later parts of the game.

Edited by kingddd

4 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

You really don't seem to have a high opinion of them lol 

I haven't for awhile, I mean this is a group of people who saw a new rock formation in Breath of the Wild and made a 2 hour long discussion video about something "new" being in the game.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

I haven't for awhile, I mean this is a group of people who saw a new rock formation in Breath of the Wild and made a 2 hour long discussion video about something "new" being in the game.

That's fair. I like Derrick because he tends to be more upbeat and optimistic about things. I appreciate it since other people I follow tend to complain about every fucking thing. When you're around so much negativity, it's nice to hear things that are positive for once

1 hour ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

That's fair. I like Derrick because he tends to be more upbeat and optimistic about things. I appreciate it since other people I follow tend to complain about every fucking thing. When you're around so much negativity, it's nice to hear things that are positive for once

True, I will give Derrick that.

Here's a bit of the demo in English if you want to hear English Voice Acting..... Disclaimer, I am SUPER rusty.

Spoiler

Okay, for starters.... I am confused by this whole ordeal.... I couldn't find the demo on the US PSN store, but I could find it on the JPN PSN store.... but the demo is in English and not Japanese? Idk, but whatever.

My thoughts are this since I got hands on. Modern Sonic feels like his good ole Generations self, except he needs the wisp to boost (I guess that how it was in colors? I never got a chance to play that). I like it.

Classic Sonic.... Well, I kinda wish he was in a level instead of a boss fight because it was really hard to gauge how he feels imo...... He has the drop dash from Mania!! I like that! Also uhh.... sorry for my trash gameplay

Avatar.... For whatever reason I was under the impression that they were supposed to play like Modern Sonic but with powerups..... I feel like this isn't accurate, I feel like they feel quite differently to control. It's cool that different powerups have different responses to the wisps.... but unfortunately the demo is so short that I can't really see how the wisps react with the different powerups...... I will say as a complaint though, the 2D section where you can still move the Avatar in a non-2D plane feels awkward as hell. I don't like that part specifically. But it seems cool for the most part.

Overall opinion, it's cool to play around in the demo. But I can definitely see why the minute time limit is a huge turn off for people.

Edit: Something I noticed. Rings disappear instantly after getting hit?

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

8 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Something I noticed. Rings disappear instantly after getting hit?

Yes, that's how they work in this game.

On 23.10.2017 at 11:52 PM, VmmVaa said:

Notice how the ring count maxes out at 100. Reportedly, this is the game's easy mode; you only lose 20 rings upon getting hit, but can't carry more then 100. Normal mode is more like the usual system. Note that unlike previous Sonic games, you actually can't regain lost rings in Forces (outside of Hedgehog OCs which has this as their special ability).

In other news, the game has broken street date. So beware of dem spoilers. On the bright side, reception, from what I've heard, have been pretty positive, with several people who were initially pessimistic about the game feeling a lot more excited now.

Of note, the avatar gameplay has been praised for being enjoyable in it's own right, supposedly feeling more akin to the adventure games, as opposed to "gimmicky modern sonic". The character creator seems decent enough. Note, though, that there's no option to make your hedgehog OC's spikes look like Sonic's, which might be a bummer for fans of Coldsteel.

Having watched some gameplay from the first hour or so of the game, I can safely say that the second modern Sonic stage looks significantly more interesting than anything we've seen from demos and trailers.

Reception to the story seems somewhat mixed; Some say it's awesome, others say it's underwhelming. Regardless, the general consensus seems to be that it's a significant step up from Colours, Generations and Lost World.

Only 9 days left, people!

Edited by VmmVaa