Sonic General - Sonic Mania+ is 5$ for those who own Mania

Jedi

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, SecondWorld said:

You'd be surprised by how hyped I got seeing as small a thing as Sonic burning down the rotating spike log.

I know right, I was like "Whoa thats neat." 

Also if people haven't seen these yet I'm linking them again. 

Bumping again because we have some new info 

Sonic 2017 has an actual name now, its Sonic Forces, logo can be seen here http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/sonic/images/1/1b/SonicForces.png/revision/latest?cb=20170316225237

They've developed The Hedgehog Engine 2, the gameplay looks much like Generations but with original levels (I'm getting this info from tweeters) https://twitter.com/TannerLPer

Apparently, we're getting 3D, 2D and a 3rd gameplay style, alongside Modern and Classic Sonic, And on the Mania side of things, its been delayed to Summer, however Flying Battery Zone was shown as a revamped stage.

Gameplay of Forces will be shown tomorrow. Edit: Wait heres some 

@SecondWorld @Trisitei @DarkDestr0yer61 @Zera

Edited by Jedi

13 minutes ago, Jedi said:

Apparently, we're getting 3D, 2D and a 3rd gameplay style, alongside Modern and Classic Sonic, And on the Mania side of things, its been delayed, however Flying Battery Zone was shown as a revamped stage.

everyone knows it's gonna be sonic riders

2 minutes ago, Euklyd said:

everyone knows it's gonna be sonic riders

If its based on the first Riders I wouldn't mind that, however many are theorizing its going to be Adventure Era gameplay.

1 hour ago, Jedi said:

If its based on the first Riders I wouldn't mind that, however many are theorizing its going to be Adventure Era gameplay.

adventure era???????? riders can go die tyvm who cares about that

2 minutes ago, Euklyd said:

adventure era???????? riders can go die tyvm who cares about that

Haha, I see you're still hyped for something potentially like SA2 Sonic/Shadow

Anyways also Mania teased us with a revamped Flying Battery Zone, which to those unaware, is considered one of the funnest stages in the classic sonic era, being the 2nd Stage in Sonic & Knuckles, or 8th if you are playing the full game 3&K, is a high flying fortress with tons of fun platforming and speed 

Edited by Jedi

3 hours ago, Jedi said:

Uhm. It's obviously going to be the gameplay style of Shadow the Hedgehog. :p Gunplay and Chaos powers and everything 

But seriously, I am glad to hear more news with Sonic Forces and Mania!

1 hour ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Uhm. It's obviously going to be the gameplay style of Shadow the Hedgehog. :p Gunplay and Chaos powers and everything 

But seriously, I am glad to hear more news with Sonic Forces and Mania!

"Death to all who oppose me!" 

The Forces logo reminds me of Tony Hawk Underground for some reason. 

7 minutes ago, ίce said:

flying battery zone! yess one of my favorites.

3rd gameplay style eh? interesting.

Yeah we have NO CLUE what it is yet, but maybe tomorrow we'll see.

Here is a better clip of what Jedi showed the other day!

Spoiler

I know it is a tad bit problematic to speculate 40 seconds worth of footage, but I am curious about something. There wasn't any 2D section in this clip of Modern Sonic. Do you think they might get rid of Modern Sonic's 2D parts? I felt that they were fine in Unleashed and Colors, but I feel like it was a bit redundant in Generations since Classic Sonic's sections were also 2D, even though they control a bit differently in their respective 2D sections.

9 hours ago, DarkDestr0yer61 said:

Here is a better clip of what Jedi showed the other day!

Reveal hidden contents

I know it is a tad bit problematic to speculate 40 seconds worth of footage, but I am curious about something. There wasn't any 2D section in this clip of Modern Sonic. Do you think they might get rid of Modern Sonic's 2D parts? I felt that they were fine in Unleashed and Colors, but I feel like it was a bit redundant in Generations since Classic Sonic's sections were also 2D, even though they control a bit differently in their respective 2D sections.

Nah I've heard Modern Sonic still has 2D segments from people who were at the event itself.

As well as the fact that the premise of the game is apparently that Eggman won and thats why everythings kind of a wreck.

Also my hype kind of has caused me to start practicing Gens again haha 

Edited by Jedi

• 2 weeks later...

I'm personally not hyped about modern Sonic gameplay; the streamlined running-through-a-city as shown in the trailer just does nothing for me. I really disliked those parts of Generations, but enjoyed the platforming sections more. I just hope the controls are tight like in SA2, and not like the game's being played on ice.

But Mania though, and the Flying Battery Zone being brought back, it's looking better each update we get. One thing bothers me though, and that's Knuckles' running animation and the way he just swings his hands around like he doesn't know what to do with them.

On 3/31/2017 at 0:08 PM, Raven said:

I'm personally not hyped about modern Sonic gameplay; the streamlined running-through-a-city as shown in the trailer just does nothing for me. I really disliked those parts of Generations, but enjoyed the platforming sections more. I just hope the controls are tight like in SA2, and not like the game's being played on ice.

But Mania though, and the Flying Battery Zone being brought back, it's looking better each update we get. One thing bothers me though, and that's Knuckles' running animation and the way he just swings his hands around like he doesn't know what to do with them.

Stages in Modern Sonic always start out like that, so I blame the trailer for using one of those segments as the trailer, I'm honestly just glad they are sticking with it, instead of experimenting more. The controls in Generations were tight though? I mean thats part of why everyone loves the Unleashed mod for Generations because Unleashed stages with the super tight Generations controls were a dream to play.

His running animation seems to be vaguely based on his Chaotix sprite, or thats what it looks like to me.

Edited by Jedi

• 2 weeks later...

The 3rd character is still unknown, but we know it isn't Boom Sonic now.

Also Sonic Forces has been in development for 4 years, good to see Sega taking their time on it.

Edited by Jedi

On 31/03/2017 at 4:08 PM, Raven said:

I'm personally not hyped about modern Sonic gameplay; the streamlined running-through-a-city as shown in the trailer just does nothing for me. I really disliked those parts of Generations, but enjoyed the platforming sections more.

This is basically my opinion on 3D Sonic (well, the 3D Sonic games didn't suffer from this until Unleashed, but you get what I mean). The platforming sections look cool, I liked how Green Hill looks.

Sonic Mania never ceases to impress, and what can possibly go wrong with Forces?

10 hours ago, Rapier said:

Sonic Mania never ceases to impress, and what can possibly go wrong with Forces?

Expect the worst from Sonic. Assume every game is going to kick the series back into the abyss of tragedy, and be grateful when that isn't the case.

I've been trying to put together something of history of Sonic in my head, is this roughly appropriate?

StH is the silver foundation. StH2 is good golden progress, StH3+K is the platinum pinnacle of 2D. SCD is a step down, but still gold material. 

SA attempts redefinition in 3D, and the attempt is well received (silver or gold quality). SA2 streamlines SA and is gold quality, though the issue of controls in 3D remain. Heroes is where the decline begins, Shadow sees it continue as the series gets desperate in trying new gimmicky things. StH2006 sinks Sonic's reputation.

Secret Rings is a step out of the abyss, though still bad, SatBK is a half step back. Unleashed gets things back to silver quality. Colors and Generations try for the gold, and possibly get it. Lost World is a regression, Sonic Boom blows the up all the hard work to reestablish trust in Sonic (but it does not reflect on Sega, they didn't actually make the game).

And all while this stuff is happening with the main series on consoles, Sonic gets some meh portables on the GameGear, plus some silver Advance games, gold Rush games, and two questionable StH4 episodes. Not to mention a slew of non-platforming spin offs running the gamut from high to low quality (the same can be said of Mario spin offs).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Expect the worst from Sonic. Assume every game is going to kick the series back into the abyss of tragedy, and be grateful when that isn't the case.

I know. I've been in that fandom for far too long to recognize that pattern, although I don't share that overly pessimistic view. The Sonic series had overall more good/average games than bad games*, but the few bad games it got were horrible enough to lose a lot of points.

*I think the controversy started with Sonic Heroes, which was more mediocre than bad, imo. Shadow the Hedgehog is... mixed in reception, I think, but I saw it as mediocre instead of bad. 2006 was terrible. Unleashed was well received. Secret Rings and Black Knight were mediocre. Sonic the Hedgehog Episodes 1 and 2 were between mediocre/bad from what I saw of the fans' reception (imo, 2 is rather ok and they could've improved by the time of 3's development, but oh well). Colors and Generations were well received. Boom is horrible.

Personally, my interest in Sonic lowered as soon as they adopted that "gotta rush the stage like it was F-Zero" level designing philosophy. No, I don't find boosting my way toward the end of the stage while shoving aside unimportant mooks as a good level designing philosophy. I liked Sonic for being a platformer with a fast character, and not a fast character with platforming elements adding to his speed and trivializing level design. I didn't like Unleashed, Secret Rings, Colors and the 3D parts of Generations for those reasons.

3 hours ago, Rapier said:

Personally, my interest in Sonic lowered as soon as they adopted that "gotta rush the stage like it was F-Zero" level designing philosophy. No, I don't find boosting my way toward the end of the stage while shoving aside unimportant mooks as a good level designing philosophy. I liked Sonic for being a platformer with a fast character, and not a fast character with platforming elements adding to his speed and trivializing level design. I didn't like Unleashed, Secret Rings, Colors and the 3D parts of Generations for those reasons.

Maybe you should actually play the 3D Sections of Generations because someone whos played them can tell you that the design is very much on the Classic side of things with about 4 to 5 routes to get through a stage. 

Also Colors was way more platformy than even the classic games were (not to mention slow and boring), do you even remember what you play? These 2 statements make me highly question your memory.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I've been trying to put together something of history of Sonic in my head, is this roughly appropriate?

StH is the silver foundation. StH2 is good golden progress, StH3+K is the platinum pinnacle of 2D. SCD is a step down, but still gold material. 

SA attempts redefinition in 3D, and the attempt is well received (silver or gold quality). SA2 streamlines SA and is gold quality, though the issue of controls in 3D remain. Heroes is where the decline begins, Shadow sees it continue as the series gets desperate in trying new gimmicky things. StH2006 sinks Sonic's reputation.

Secret Rings is a step out of the abyss, though still bad, SatBK is a half step back. Unleashed gets things back to silver quality. Colors and Generations try for the gold, and possibly get it. Lost World is a regression, Sonic Boom blows the up all the hard work to reestablish trust in Sonic and Sega.

And all while this stuff is happening with the main series on consoles, Sonic gets some meh portables on the GameGear, plus some silver Advance games, gold Rush games, and two questionable StH4 episodes. Not to mention a slew of non-platforming spin offs of largely mediocre or bad quality.

Blaming Sega or Sonic Team for Sonic Boom when it wasn't even developed by them is hilarious, its like saying it was Nintendos fault for the CDI games. Also Secret Rings was worse than 06 in literally every way imaginable, and Black Knight was an improvement. 

Also this kind of pessimism is why I don't interact with the fanbase, because you're reminding me alot of the classic die hards with "expect the worst"

Because of people like you, no one is allowed to be excited about anything because, you're always going to try to shoot it down, regardless of what people say.

3 hours ago, Zera said:

@Interdimensional Observer Hey, you forgot to mention the unofficial SA3, Rodea the Sky Soldier. *cry emote*

the unofficial SA3 is actually 06.

Edited by Jedi

I want the series to do well. I'm not a Sonic naysayer, I was just parroting some caution really with that opening line. Very bad idea to parrot anything on the internet, my apologies.

My attempt to trace the record of the series was just something the historian in me wanted to try.

Boom was mega criticized when it was released, but I guess it's really a spin off that they hyped up as being a revolutionary mainline game or something. You're right that I shouldn't blame Sega for it. With this being the case, the main series has really hasn't had that much of a bad day since 06. 

In which case, these games stand a fair chance of being gold, not less than silver, and maybe by some miracle, platinum which the overwhelming majority is calling a must buy.

And thanks for the critique.

10 hours ago, Jedi said:

Maybe you should actually play the 3D Sections of Generations because someone whos played them can tell you that the design is very much on the Classic side of things with about 4 to 5 routes to get through a stage. 

Also Colors was way more platformy than even the classic games were (not to mention slow and boring), do you even remember what you play? These 2 statements make me highly question your memory.

I wasn't speaking about routes, I was speaking about the whole "rush through the stage with boost and shove badnicks aside" thing so overly present since Unleashed. The 3D sections of Generations were ok, but not particularly memorable. Ok, I exaggerated when I said I disliked them - that doesn't make them bad, but also not particularly remarkable. I'm happy that they added more routes, though. It's an improvement to their philosophy.

Yes, Colors was platformy on the 2D sections, but it does not compensate for the 50% of time (or more) spent shoving badnicks aside and rushing through the stage, which is poor level designing in my eyes. Also, the platform sections are small gimmicky parts where you use a wisp's ability to do something neat, then proceed. The concept is cool, but it didn't attract me because of how little it is actually used and how it serves only for a gimmick or two in a stage. Again, the game is not objectively bad and I'm not going to beat it from my preferences alone, but it didn't sit well with me for those reasons.

And I'm getting bad feelings of purists vs knight templars deja-vu from those exchanges in the last 3 or 4 posts, which is what demotivated me from discussing about the Sonic series in the first place, because it seems as if we're stepping into metaphorical landmines whenever we say anything good/bad about Sonic and we can't actually discuss without a random encounter popping up and someone calling you a hater or a classicist purist. I really hope we can maintain civility or at least end it here.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I want the series to do well. I'm not a Sonic naysayer, I was just parroting some caution really with that opening line. Very bad idea to parrot anything on the internet, my apologies.

My attempt to trace the record of the series was just something the historian in me wanted to try.

Boom was mega criticized when it was released, but I guess it's really a spin off that they hyped up as being a revolutionary mainline game or something. You're right that I shouldn't blame Sega for it. With this being the case, the main series has really hasn't had that much of a bad day since 06. 

In which case, these games stand a fair chance of being gold, not less than silver, and maybe by some miracle, platinum which the overwhelming majority is calling a must buy.

And thanks for the critique.

Sorry I didn't mean to get all nasty on that. I've just dealt with alot of people in this fandom to the point that I snap at the littlest thing. I'm glad to have helped and again I apologize.

1 hour ago, Rapier said:

I wasn't speaking about routes, I was speaking about the whole "rush through the stage with boost and shove badnicks aside" thing so overly present since Unleashed. The 3D sections of Generations were ok, but not particularly memorable. Ok, I exaggerated when I said I disliked them - that doesn't make them bad, but also not particularly remarkable. I'm happy that they added more routes, though. It's an improvement to their philosophy.

Yes, Colors was platformy on the 2D sections, but it does not compensate for the 50% of time (or more) spent shoving badnicks aside and rushing through the stage, which is poor level designing in my eyes. Also, the platform sections are small gimmicky parts where you use a wisp's ability to do something neat, then proceed. The concept is cool, but it didn't attract me because of how little it is actually used and how it serves only for a gimmick or two in a stage. Again, the game is not objectively bad and I'm not going to beat it from my preferences alone, but it didn't sit well with me for those reasons.

And I'm getting bad feelings of purists vs knight templars deja-vu from those exchanges in the last 3 or 4 posts, which is what demotivated me from discussing about the Sonic series in the first place, because it seems as if we're stepping into metaphorical landmines whenever we say anything good/bad about Sonic and we can't actually discuss without a random encounter popping up and someone calling you a hater or a classicist purist. I really hope we can maintain civility or at least end it here.

Generations is like the pinnacle of 3D Sonic stage design, you're going fast, you're avoiding stuff, and blasting through levels due to skill and skill alone, not just the boost to win mentality of the Rush games or the hold right to win of the Sonic Advance 2 era. 

Colors was 90% platforming in 2D however, you never rush stages in the game unless you want to miss stuff, 50% is missing the mark by a fair margin. I personally found it boring in comparison to Unleashed, Generations and the Adventure titles heck I found Heroes and Shadow more engaging, and I don't even count it as a 3D Sonic game. Note I'm one of the only people who will say that lol

Well I'm demotivated from talking Sonic most of the time because people who tend to criticize things don't really get the design mentalities 98% of the time or they lambaste the things that have actually done well, which is utterly frustrating.  I'm sorry you got that impression, didn't mean to get into that mode at all.

Edited by Jedi

• 2 weeks later...

A bump for. Some... Green Hill footage from Sonic Forces 

Classic Sonic discovers Green Hill Zone is looking more dry and sandy under Eggman's rule, from the heavy desertification caused by his industries.

• 3 weeks later...