Sonic General - Sonic Mania+ is 5$ for those who own Mania

Jedi

Developed in collaboration between SEGA, Christian Whitehead, Headcannon, and PagodaWest Games, experience new zones and remixed classic levels with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles!

Christian Whitehead is the guy who did the excellent ports of Sonic CD to steam among other things, a new classic styled Sonic was not what I was expecting, but its looking quite nice.

After the excellent titles such as Colors and Generations and the mehness of Lost World and the lets not speak of it, of Sonic Boom. Lets see where going back with a team who knows what they are doing when it comes to how classic Sonic feels, goes at it.

I'm ready for this now, and to hear Tails and Knuckles will be playable again is all the better.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only is it new zones, it's also reimagined versions of old zones. One that was featured in the trailer was a version of green hill zone with a cave section.

Yeah it looks REALLLY NICE. I'm ready for Neo Ice Cap stuff too, among all the other awesome zones.

Looks pretty good imo. Also like the fact that Tails and Knuckles are playable.

Edit: I also hope that the physics are like the ones in the classic games. It felt off in the 2d sections of Generations... and while I have played Sonic 4, I have heard it isn't great

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

This looks pretty good.

A retro-style game is fitting the an anniversary.

Wonder if we will get other characters as DLC.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Blaze at the very least, people remember the Rush games fondly.

They generate all this hype and this is what we get? Massive letdown

Fingers crossed that this isn't the only game they reveal today: I had my hopes up for a new Chao Garden <<

At least the classic only purists aren't whining right now, I think this looks damn good myself though, being a fan throughout the history of the franchise. Can't win in this fandom though, its generally why I'm afraid to bring anything related to Sonic up lol.

New Chao Garden would be nice though.

The nonstop nostalgia pandering that's been going on for years now has worn me down to the point where I wasn't even all that excited about this, which sucks because this looks really damn good.

The initial "ugh" reaction that I sorta did on reflex has passed by now, I still wish it was just a brand new game with exclusively original stages but yeah Christian Whitehead's ports are great and this looks to be at the same level of quality which is exciting.

The nonstop nostalgia pandering that's been going on for years now has worn me down to the point where I wasn't even all that excited about this, which sucks because this looks really damn good.

The initial "ugh" reaction that I sorta did on reflex has passed by now, I still wish it was just a brand new game with exclusively original stages but yeah Christian Whitehead's ports are great and this looks to be at the same level of quality which is exciting.

I do get where you're coming from, honestly I do. Although they did say there are new stages, and heck, new version of old stages can be quite different from their originals. Sonic Generations is a good show of that by itself.

Nostalgia pandering isn't going away anytime soon I don't think, it sells copies and well. Companies see it has a good chance, honestly though I think this looks really really really good.

I'm looking forward to this near on par as I am on Freedom Planet 2 and Bloodstained now.

Edited by Jedi

sonic breaks if you try to add gimmicky weird gameplay

this does not seem to have gimmicky weird gameplay

so it'll probably be fun

and that's all i give a shit about

and now another trailer! generations 2?

im hyped!

Yeah. I am not sure if this is exactly supposed to be a Generations 2 or if it's its own thing but with classic and modern sonic. But if it is anything like Generations or Colors, then I am sure I will like it!

The curious thing about this new game is that on the stream before the trailer played, they specifically said it is not a sequel...

So I guess this is just a completely different adventure with Classic/Modern Sonic from Generations?

There's a lot of confusion here and I just really want to see some gameplay.

The curious thing about this new game is that on the stream before the trailer played, they specifically said it is not a sequel...

So I guess this is just a completely different adventure with Classic/Modern Sonic from Generations?

There's a lot of confusion here and I just really want to see some gameplay.

As long as it plays like Unleashed/Colors/Generations I'm golden.

I gotta admit, I am quite hype for this. A game that is classic 2d and a game that is like colors/generations (at least that is the impression I am given all things considered). A great way to appeal to both modern and classic fans.

Oh and for what it is worth, the creator said that he doesn't have plans for a Sonic Adventure 3, but he wouldn't rule out the possibility of him ever making one.

2017 seems to be a good year for Sonic fans.

Oh boy does it seem that way, after the disapointment of Boom and the mediocrity of Lost World.

Seeing all this good stuff again even if it was only 2 mainline games ago, is so refreshing.

I'm slightly disappointed at this, but It's mostly due to the amount of hope I piled into a possibility of SA3....

Sonic Mania has me so hype to be able to actually play a classic Sonic game again, like, even though they have been appealing to classic fans for a while now, this feels like the first "correct" attempt. When you get right down to it, 4 and Classic Generations played nothing like Classic Sonic, so a TRUE return to form is honestly so fresh and exciting for me. With this and Freedom Planet 2 it's been a great time to be a classic Sonic fan.

Moving on to 'Project 2017' even though my pessimism is shining through because of my undying thirst for SA3, I'm still mostly happy and excited for this game. It's blatantly still trying to pander to the modern and classic demographic, however I'm heavily interested to see what they do with the gimmick of both Classic and Modern Sonic in unique environments rather than re-imagined versions of previous ones. Though it is only a theatrical trailer with no gameplay shown, with them boasting that it's going to be made by the colors and generations team I can only hope that the gameplay in this iteration will be safe, fun, and enjoyable. My hopes are high, and I hope this isn't part of the sonic cycle that I've grown too used to at this point.

Overall I just am looking forward to having a fun Sonic game again.