Sonic General - Sonic Mania+ is 5$ for those who own Mania

Jedi

Jedi, are you more excited for this than you would be a new Sonic Rush title?

As much as I liked Rush, yeah. I'm quite hype for Mania.

Project 2017 as well, because the Colors/Gens team is working on it, which instantly dispells my worry about it being more akin to Lost World than Unleashed/Colors/Generations.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding new zones that could be introduced in Sonic Mania/Project Sonic 2017, I really hope they introduce the Friend Zone, with Amy being the only character able to go through that zone. (out of curiousity, is that a common joke people make about Sonic? I mean, I came up with that joke myself a few days ago, but I'm sure someone must have beaten me to the punch on that one)

I guess I have to make an on-topic post to follow that joke. Well, I really hope Sonic Mania will appease most of the old school Sonic fans. I mean, I honestly can't think of anything more Sega could do to cater to that fanbase faction since they're making Sonic Mania literally like the original Sonic trilogy in graphics and feel. Playable Tails and Knuckles is really awesome too.

As for Project Sonic 2017, I'll hold my opinions for now until I see more.

Keep in mind, I've only played the Sonic Advance Trilogy, Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, and Sonic Battle, so I'm likely not the person you should be asking about Sonic opinions.

Regarding new zones that could be introduced in Sonic Mania/Project Sonic 2017, I really hope they introduce the Friend Zone, with Amy being the only character able to go through that zone. (out of curiousity, is that a common joke people make about Sonic? I mean, I came up with that joke myself a few days ago, but I'm sure someone must have beaten me to the punch on that one)

I guess I have to make an on-topic post to follow that joke. Well, I really hope Sonic Mania will appease most of the old school Sonic fans. I mean, I honestly can't think of anything more Sega could do to cater to that fanbase faction since they're making Sonic Mania literally like the original Sonic trilogy in graphics and feel. Playable Tails and Knuckles is really awesome too.

As for Project Sonic 2017, I'll hold my opinions for now until I see more.

Keep in mind, I've only played the Sonic Advance Trilogy, Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, and Sonic Battle, so I'm likely not the person you should be asking about Sonic opinions.

I've seen a number of purists be annoyed from being too safe or lazy etc, but nothing really aside from that. The fanbase generally seems united in being hyped for Mania (except the extreme ones who like to backlash against anything purist) probably due in part to Christian Whitehead aka The Taxman being in charge of it, and his revamp/ports of games such as CD have fixed the minor problems people had and just generally seems to know how classic Sonic feels, and heck a good chunk are hyped for Project 2017 because the aforementioned Colors/Generations team. The main complaint I've seen from the newer generation of Sonic fans, are that Mania is pandering, or they simply aren't interested in a classic sonic game, but thats on them and fairly reasonable for some.

But this is the Sonic fanbase, i'm sure they are some very vocal whiners for both games right now.

Edited by Jedi

I've seen a number of purists be annoyed from being too safe or lazy etc, but nothing really aside from that. The fanbase generally seems united in being hyped for Mania (except the extreme ones who like to backlash against anything purist) probably due in part to Christian Whitehead aka The Taxman being in charge of it, and his revamp/ports of games such as CD have fixed the minor problems people had and just generally seems to know how classic Sonic feels, and heck a good chunk are hyped for Project 2017 because the aforementioned Colors/Generations team. The main complaint I've seen from the newer generation of Sonic fans, are that Mania is pandering, or they simply aren't interested in a classic sonic game, but thats on them and fairly reasonable for some.

But this is the Sonic fanbase, i'm sure they are some very vocal whiners for both games right now.

I'm personally looking forward to both projects right now...especially project 2017 with it's slightly darker than usual tone. An actual adventure rather than a dull boring comedy for a story? Sign me up!

Edited by Dinar87

I'm personally looking forward to both projects right now...especially project 2017 with it's slightly darker than usual tone. An actual adventure rather than a dull boring comedy for a story? Sign me up!

I'm right there with you, if they can pull off a darker tone with the newer fun writers they've had in the past several games, I will commend it.

Even if they try too hard and the game is fun regardless I won't mind though, haha.

My biggest complaint about Sonic Mania is no Amy. Classic Amy has a perfectly usable design, and she could take after Advance in some of her concepts. It just feels like a missed opportunity.

Studiopolis Zone has a lot of great details and stuff though.

As for Project Sonic, I'm sure it's also going to be good. I don't really like dark settings, but I'll keep an open mind. Colors and Lost World probably have my favorite settings and writing, so hopefully some of that will show up here.

My biggest complaint about Sonic Mania is no Amy. Classic Amy has a perfectly usable design, and she could take after Advance in some of her concepts. It just feels like a missed opportunity.

As I said earlier, there's always the chance of DLC.

If there's DLC characters in Sonic Mania, Amy is very likely to be one of them.

Besides, they peobably choose Sonic, Tails and Knuckles due to them being the only playable characters in the early games.

Amy has always been a hit or miss person for the entire fanbase, I think a number of people would be happy though, including yourself, if it was her Advance like self then I think most people wouldn't have a problem, because a main problem people have with characters who aren't Sonic being playable in the later games was, they didn't play enough like Sonic (Thats why people liked Shadow & Blaze so much among other reasons in the later games)

As I said earlier, there's always the chance of DLC.

If there's DLC characters in Sonic Mania, Amy is very likely to be one of them.

Besides, they peobably choose Sonic, Tails and Knuckles due to them being the only playable characters in the early games.

Only playable characters in the games that most people played, fixing that statement slightly because Knuckles Chaotix was a thing (So thats Espio and his group), but well hardly anyone had a 32x and that was like one of the only decent things on it so haha.

I only would think that Amy, Espio, and Metal Sonic would be the only possibly update characters. All three of them have classic designs and would be believably different in the same way that Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are different. Charmy and Vector have sprites, but that seems like a long shot.

For a bit of a random choice, Mighty.

Amy has always been a hit or miss person for the entire fanbase, I think a number of people would be happy though, including yourself, if it was her Advance like self then I think most people wouldn't have a problem, because a main problem people have with characters who aren't Sonic being playable in the later games was, they didn't play enough like Sonic (Thats why people liked Shadow & Blaze so much among other reasons in the later games)

To be honest that's what I like about other characters. Makes things more interesting and adds a replay value.

But can I understand why people don't like characters that play different from Sonic.

Amy's hammer have interesting possibities, and Blaze's fire powers as well.

Only playable characters in the games that most people played, fixing that statement slightly because Knuckles Chaotix was a thing (So thats Espio and his group), but well hardly anyone had a 32x and that was like one of the only decent things on it so haha.

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if they add the Chaotix characters as DLC as reference to Knuckles Chaotix.

Hell, maybe Sonic Mania will have a stage based on Knuckles Chaotix.

Edited by Water Mage

I only would think that Amy, Espio, and Metal Sonic would be the only possibly update characters. All three of them have classic designs and would be believably different in the same way that Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles are different. Charmy and Vector have sprites, but that seems like a long shot.

Blaze I think might have a shot, as she was in a 2D iteration as well, and she could bring the Rush Boost mechanic as her standout feature (Actually I'd like that alot). I agree with Amy, Espio and Metal Sonic, I forget how different Metal Sonic was from Sonic in Sonic 4 Episode Metal, but maybe I'll play that again to remind myself.

Mighty would be funny, considering the shoutout to him in Generations. It'd be a bit of a brick joke actually.

Honestly, I'd love to get Shadow as DLC, but I doubt many would agree with me on that. I can't help that I like shooting things while running at the speed of characters in the adventure games okay. Using Chaos powers in a 2D setting would be pretty nifty too

Edited by MCProductions

Hey long as its fun and works, i'm one of those weird people who enjoyed the core gameplay of Shadow, although it was on the slippery side like Heroes in terms of handling, I thought the gunplay added to the whole "enemies have hp now" and made it kinda stand out.

I typically put Shadow's game in the Mediocre pile, but I generally like him as a playable character ever since SA2, (Fun fact his popularity is what kept him alive after SA2 as he was originally going to be a one off character). And his story is like the main reason I even play 06 still somewhat, (that and I think some of the stages are fun despite broken inherent design)

Edited by Jedi

In a bit of behind the scenes stuff, Renegade Kid, has offered to make a 3DS port of Mania, however Sega hasn't replied to them yet.

Also Christian Whitehead has stated Mania will be longer than Generations, Sonic Generations had 9 Zones, with 2 acts each, with 3 rival fights, 4 boss fights, and 5 bonus missions per act which took you to different parts or had very nostalgic mechanics, such as using Retro Tails for flight or Snowboarding in Rooftop Run, among other things.

In a bit of behind the scenes stuff, Renegade Kid, has offered to make a 3DS port of Mania, however Sega hasn't replied to them yet.

Also Christian Whitehead has stated Mania will be longer than Generations, Sonic Generations had 9 Zones, with 2 acts each, with 3 rival fights, 4 boss fights, and 5 bonus missions per act which took you to different parts or had very nostalgic mechanics, such as using Retro Tails for flight or Snowboarding in Rooftop Run, among other things.

Do you think when he says that it will be longer than Generations that he IS including the bonus missions? Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Now, that's the ONE thing that bummed me out about Sonic Mania. There are no Nintendo consoles for the game. I kinda wondered why since it doesn't seem very hard to run on a 3DS or, heck, even the Wii U. I guess since the NX is coming out next year, but still...(at least have it come to the NX or something...)

Also, I heard Sonic Mania is download only...

Tails' Channel(where I heard this):

http://youtu.be/CA9VwRvdhpU

Edited by Busterman64

Now, that's the ONE thing that bummed me out about Sonic Mania. There are no Nintendo consoles for the game. I kinda wondered why since it doesn't seem very hard to run on a 3DS or, heck, even the Wii U. I guess since the NX is coming out next year, but still...(at least have it come to the NX or something...)

Tails' Channel(where I heard this):http://youtu.be/CA9VwRvdhpU

they're probably not making a wii u version since the wii u is kinda a failure and has sold much worse than either other console

they probably don't want to bother porting it since it might not even make much money for them

Do you think when he says that it will be longer than Generations that he IS including the bonus missions?

Its either including them or not, I sadly wouldn't know.

Tails' Channel(where I heard this):

This is probably because Sega had a deal with Ninty about their next 3 games being Nintendo exclusive and now that deal is done they want to reach out again, Sonic Boom was apperently a fairly solidly designed game before the team (Big Red Button) was told they had to move all of their content to the Wii U, which they had no familarity with, and it well... Shows granted the end result. Boom wouldn't have been that much better, but still it would have at least been the average game it feels like now.

PSA: Sonic Lost World is currently on sale in the Wii U eShop for $15! This deal ends in about a day, though.

If you're gonna get Lost World nowadays, you're better off getting the PC version, as you can have a blast with mods, as the Sonic community is an AWESOME modding community, as seen with PC Sonic Generations. I own the Wii U version of Lost World, and as I said I find it to be a fairly good game, nothing special, with solid music, but yeah.

My PC probably won't run Lost World, so I'll be getting it on Wii U or saving my $15 for something else. What'd you recommend I do, Jedi?

Ok then, if you have to go that route then go for it. I wasn't sure of your specs.

It's funny, I actually bought the PC version of Sonic Gens just for the mods, but my PC turned out to be crap, and would only run it at like 5 frames per second. I hadn't been that mad at my PC in a long time.

It's funny, I actually bought the PC version of Sonic Gens just for the mods, but my PC turned out to be crap, and would only run it at like 5 frames per second. I hadn't been that mad at my PC in a long time.

Oh maaaaan, I'd have been so mad. I feel your pain though, My PC or Laptop always seems to be incredibly behind the curve, because i'm not made of money haha.

what about Ray

If Mecha Sonic doesn't become a dlc or a normal player character, I bet fans will just mod him anyway.