Sonic General - Sonic Mania+ is 5$ for those who own Mania

Jedi

I'm slightly disappointed at this, but It's mostly due to the amount of hope I piled into a possibility of SA3....

Sonic Mania has me so hype to be able to actually play a classic Sonic game again, like, even though they have been appealing to classic fans for a while now, this feels like the first "correct" attempt. When you get right down to it, 4 and Classic Generations played nothing like Classic Sonic, so a TRUE return to form is honestly so fresh and exciting for me. With this and Freedom Planet 2 it's been a great time to be a classic Sonic fan.

Moving on to 'Project 2017' even though my pessimism is shining through because of my undying thirst for SA3, I'm still mostly happy and excited for this game. It's blatantly still trying to pander to the modern and classic demographic, however I'm heavily interested to see what they do with the gimmick of both Classic and Modern Sonic in unique environments rather than re-imagined versions of previous ones. Though it is only a theatrical trailer with no gameplay shown, with them boasting that it's going to be made by the colors and generations team I can only hope that the gameplay in this iteration will be safe, fun, and enjoyable. My hopes are high, and I hope this isn't part of the sonic cycle that I've grown too used to at this point.

Overall I just am looking forward to having a fun Sonic game again.

I can agree with all of what you said, although I've gotten past the hoping for an SA3, I really love the Unleashed/Colors/Gens style to the point where I'm not really looking for SA3, oh yeah I still want it of course, but not as much as I used to.

Both look really really good to me.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah they both look fantastic overall. I'll always fish for SA3 though, not sure why either. Maybe it's the gameplay I've grown to love, maybe it's the unique character types and objectives, maybe it's the cheesy and enjoyable story, or maybe it's the Chao Garden. Regardless I'm looking forward to what Sonic is giving me in 2017!

Yeah they both look fantastic overall. I'll always fish for SA3 though, not sure why either. Maybe it's the gameplay I've grown to love, maybe it's the unique character types and objectives, maybe it's the cheesy and enjoyable story, or maybe it's the Chao Garden. Regardless I'm looking forward to what Sonic is giving me in 2017!

Yeah I still go back to SA1 & SA2 quite often, enjoyable pair of games. Maybe we will see SA3 one of these days.

2017 is gonna be a hellvua year, these 2 games and Freedom Planet 2.

Somecallmejohnny, someone with very good gaming opinions, and in general on Sonic gave his little opinions. Should give a listen to his thoughts.

Sounds like elemental shields and stuff are back too.

Edited by Jedi

Sonic Mania is totally eh to me. I don't really care for Classic Sonic, but hopefully the level design ends up better than Sonic CD, which was a complete mess. Nice to see people who wanted it getting it though.

Project Sonic looks pretty cool. I don't know what to think about the setting yet, but I would have preferred seeing Tails, Knuckles, Blaze, Shadow, or anyone else instead of Classic Sonic. I don't know if I need a return to Adventure gameplay, but I am slightly restless to see Sonic's friends again in a main series title. It's been five years now.

Sonic Mania is totally eh to me. I don't really care for Classic Sonic, but hopefully the level design ends up better than Sonic CD, which was a complete mess. Nice to see people who wanted it getting it though.

Project Sonic looks pretty cool. I don't know what to think about the setting yet, but I would have preferred seeing Tails, Knuckles, Blaze, Shadow, or anyone else instead of Classic Sonic. I don't know if I need a return to Adventure gameplay, but I am slightly restless to see Sonic's friends again in a main series title. It's been five years now.

CD was more based on exploration to a degree, I never really found its design to be a "mess" its just more inclined to people who want to look around for those robot generators or those 50 rings for the Time Stones, nothings really stopping people from going through the levels fairly swiftly either. The only stage I think is a "mess" would be Wacky Workbench. I can get feeling eh for classic sonic stuff I suppose. Just saying my opinion as well.

While a number of us would like to see Sonic's friends in the playable spotlight, the fan backlash against them after Heroes and 06 is still there in a number of fans eyes, the "only Sonic" dealilo is still in effect for alot of people, I'm glad to see Mania is bringing back Tails and Knuckles, perhaps Project 2017 will bring in Shadow & Blaze. The setting looks kinda interesting, "Join the Resistance" is kind of a strange tag-line though, a friend of mine joked that we were getting comics or SatAM in the whole ordeal when they saw that line. I know a fair share of people who'd like to see the likes of Sally Acorn and crew be in a mainline game.

Also Gamexplain just dropped this, some music from Mania

Check out 3 songs from Sonic Mania, including the title screen, Studiopolis Zone, and the invincibility theme!

and now another trailer! generations 2?

im hyped!

TFW you sense that Sonic 06 vibe again....

This is not the late 90's, SEGA. We don't want your angsty teen dreams of mass destruction and edgy plotlines.

It's a freaking giant, cartoony blue hedgehog!

That said, the classic one is looking really neat :^_^:

Edited by Riptor

TFW you sense that Sonic 06 vibe again....

This is not the late 90's, SEGA. We don't want your angsty teen dreams of mass destruction and edgy plotlines.

It's a freaking giant, cartoony blue hedgehog!

Judging by one slight trailer that shows absolutely nothing. lmao, reminding me why I hate bringing up Sonic around other people, because of inane replies like this.

Edited by Jedi

Tuned in to the stream at the start and the end, so it was nice to be able to see the new reveals live. Probably gonna get Sonic Mania on PC, but I hear Renegade Kid has offered to port it to the 3DS so I guess I'll have to wait and see. I'm more excited for Project 2017, looks like they are really emphasizing the team that made Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, not Sonic Lost World.

Also, I still never really understood why people still have hopes for Adventure 3. Don't get me wrong, Sonic Adventure DX is one of my all time favourite games, but I can't see them making a third installment. Perhaps they may adopt the gameplay style in the future again, but I doubt they would make a numbered third entry.

Edited by DragonLord

Judging by one slight trailer that shows absolutely nothing. lmao, reminding me why I hate bringing up Sonic around other people, because of inane replies like this.

Notice that I said "vibe".

Because that what I felt. You see, Mr Jedi, trailers (or teasers, in this case) are mostly made to hype up, and give "the vibe" of the product.

And what I saw, my friend, is a cataclism of somekind caused by giant robots, ominous music, dark shades, a fire motif, a realistic(?) looking Sonic running around a devastated city.

Again, I'm just saying "it feels like", because the message it sends.

The motto "Join the ressistance" in metal, Arial font and all caps feels dark, and there's no denying that.

It's the vibe what I sense, not the quality or the overall worth of the product.

I'm not saying it feel like 06 because glitches, flawed gameplay and terrible desging choices.

I'm saying it has the same overall "feeling" of 06's atmosphere.

Calm down mate. I'm not a hater, just someone with an opinion that should be held equally as yours.

. The setting looks kinda interesting, "Join the Resistance" is kind of a strange tag-line though, a friend of mine joked that we were getting comics or SatAM in the whole ordeal when they saw that line. I know a fair share of people who'd like to see the likes of Sally Acorn and crew be in a mainline game.

Speaking of which, Sally and her group were the first thing that came to mind when I saw the words "Join the resistance."

And honestly I wouldn't mind them appearinng in the game.

Maybe Project Sonic is a crossover between the Sonic Game Universe and the Sonic Comics Universe?

I know soem won't like it, but it would be interesting to see them.

I tired of this type of complaing as well.

Really, the only game that could be considered edgy is Shadow the Hedgehog.

And I'm suprised people still talk about 06.

It's been ten years! Sure it was bad, but do we really need to act like it's something new?

Honestly, I would love to see Sally Acorn in Sonic 2017, because I highly enjoyed the Satam cartoon and still enjoy the Archie Sonic comics. That said, the "Join the Resistance" moniker and that blatant Not!Death Egg robot shooting a Mass Effect 3 Reaper beam could be concerning to those who don't like darker Sonic plots. Me however really enjoyed Shadow The Hedgehog even if they tried WAY TOO FUCKING hard to be edgy, so I don't mind the darker setting so long as the game is still fun.

I think the darker setting will probably be interesting, but I'd like to see what kind of level themes are here before I make an opinion. They can do a ton of fun levels using a ruined setting, or every level could end up looking like Crisis City mixed with Eggmanland. It's all in the execution IMO.

Generations has some of my favorite levels in the series though, so I'm not really worried about it being super fun to play.

I don't see Sally and friends making the leap though. There's something about their designs that wouldn't fit in with modern Sonic. I could see maybe Sally herself, but just not anyone else.

A weird idea I have is that it would be cool if Eggman is on the side of the Resistance, and someone else is in charge of his forces. That seems like a pretty "Sonic" thing to do.

Edited by Enigmar

I'm slightly disappointed at this, but It's mostly due to the amount of hope I piled into a possibility of SA3....

Moving on to 'Project 2017' even though my pessimism is shining through because of my undying thirst for SA3...

I can agree with all of what you said, although I've gotten past the hoping for an SA3, I really love the Unleashed/Colors/Gens style to the point where I'm not really looking for SA3, oh yeah I still want it of course, but not as much as I used to.

PSA: Rodea the Sky Soldier (Wii version) is basically Sonic Adventure 3!

You're welcome.

Oooh man...this. THIS. This is freakin'awesome!

2D and 3D Sonic! Now everyone can be happy(...hopefully...)!

Sonic Mania just reminds me of how much I played Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles on Sonic Mega Collection as a kid! I've been meaning/craving to play some 2D Sonic for a while now, and now I have an excuse. From the looks of things, this game looks like Sega tooks bits of Sonic 1,2,3 & Knuckles, and CD, put in the ingredient "quality", put it in a blender and came up with this concoction!

Not saying it's bad, just saying they just took what worked before and are just improving it!

As for Project Sonic, or what I will call "Sonic Generations 2:The Dark Future" for now, can't say much since we haven't seen much. I will say though from what I have seen, the implied premise seems interesting. Also, it seems like Eggman took over or something. Unless Sonic screwed up or something, something went seriously wrong.

Something that I heard someone say that this might be a parallel universe he's in, hence the "join the resistance" thing. We'll see where this goes...

As for both games, I just want them to be good. That's all I want. Please Sega...make this a Sonic Unleashed and not an Sonic 06...

Somecallmejohnny, someone with very good gaming opinions, and in general on Sonic gave his little opinions. Should give a listen to his thoughts.

Sounds like elemental shields and stuff are back too.

Yes! Someone else here that knows he exists! Thank God!

I don't mind a darker setting for Sonic, as long as it makes sense and isn't filled with plot holes (like Sonic'06) or looks like a clusterfuck (like Shadow the Hedgehog's many paths, which make Shadow seem like he's got alzheimers, jumping from scene to scene almost randomly). Being produced by the same team that made Colors and Generations make me more hopeful, but I wish they tend more toward Generations than Colors (whose level designing I found really weak, tbh).

Also, since there were two Death Egg robots, I suppose Past!Robotnik will meet Future!Eggman, or maybe Eggman Nega somehow found his way there.

Sonic Mania looks really cool. I'd love to play it and see how the remixed levels turn out in the end. Spring 2017 couldn't come faster (wasn't that January? I have no idea about when american seasons take place).

I can't wait! Been a Sonic fan all my life (born in '91) and I'm so excited for this!

I'll be looking out on YouTube for MegaGWolf and ClementJ64's opinions!

Clement, oh definitely yes!

Don't know who MegaGWolf is(although the name sounds familiar)...

Are they any good(channel wise because I'm never subscribed to too many people)?

Notice that I said "vibe".

Because that what I felt. You see, Mr Jedi, trailers (or teasers, in this case) are mostly made to hype up, and give "the vibe" of the product.

And what I saw, my friend, is a cataclism of somekind caused by giant robots, ominous music, dark shades, a fire motif, a realistic(?) looking Sonic running around a devastated city.

Again, I'm just saying "it feels like", because the message it sends.

The motto "Join the ressistance" in metal, Arial font and all caps feels dark, and there's no denying that.

It's the vibe what I sense, not the quality or the overall worth of the product.

I'm not saying it feel like 06 because glitches, flawed gameplay and terrible desging choices.

I'm saying it has the same overall "feeling" of 06's atmosphere.

Calm down mate. I'm not a hater, just someone with an opinion that should be held equally as yours.

I apologize for my overeaction, I've just dealt with this kind of thing a lot, being in the Sonic fanbase has made me prone to lashing at things... I didn't mean to insult you.

I've just ran into tons of unpleasant people and i'm so used to being on the defensive in terms of this franchise, sorry.

Now that I had more time think about things, I've thought of my own possible plot for Project Sonic 2017. This is all speculation, but I thought it would be fun to share!

Game Titie: Sonic Generations 2: The Dark Future

Premise: Dr.Eggman's future self comes from the future and secretly helps Dr.Eggman take over the world. Sonic, who was busy fighting Eggman of his time is surprised to find the state of his world and is somewhat overwhelmed by the power the two Eggmans. During the midst of this, Classic Sonic is brought to the present through unknown reasons by a mysterious figure that wishes to help Sonic fix history. However, two Eggmans are tougher than than one, so both Sonics and their friends form a resistance to fight back to not only defeat both Eggmans, but to set time straight!

-Another thing, both Eggmans have the 7 Chaos Emeralds of the future, but the ones to get in the present are a race against time!

(Edit)-A certain hedgehog from the future and a certain princess from another dimension are also here to help Sonic...

Gameplay: Refined Generations gameplay.

-Classic Sonic has all 2D sections and Modern Sonic has all 3D sections.

-Like Adveture 2, there will two other gameplay styles with one of Sonic's friends, but will simply, easy to handle, and won't be slow.

-There will be extra missions that have varies missions, but those are not required to beat the game. Just for 100%.

(Edit)-There will be 8 zones with an extra "crossover" zone which levels are based off other SEGA franchises(Ex.Nights) , some extra bosses, time attack mode, and a boss rush mode!

So what do you think? It's a bit of a stretch, but it could work...right? :3

Edited by Busterman64

I somehow doubt that's how it'll play out, but its cool to see speculation. Chaos Emeralds thing may be plausible though, maybe the Time Stones for good measure.

The line that gets to me in terms of Project 2017 is "Join the Resistance" which only really makes me recall the end of the DS RPG, Dark Brotherhood, where Eggman had actually taken over the world in Sonic & Co's absence, but I highly doubt they'd be related (although Shade was a cool character).

It's kind of weird the developers said it wasn't a sequel to Generations, yet features the key things of Generations, namely the gameplay look and Classic Sonic being there.

As much as I'd like more of Sonic pals to be playable, I somehow don't see it, if they are doing the Modern/Classic angle again. I'm just speaking as someone who has way too much experience with this franchise though.

PSA: Rodea the Sky Soldier (Wii version) is basically Sonic Adventure 3!

You're welcome.

Rodea plays nothing like an Adventure title. The only similarity is that Yuji Naka worked on them.

I think the darker setting will probably be interesting, but I'd like to see what kind of level themes are here before I make an opinion. They can do a ton of fun levels using a ruined setting, or every level could end up looking like Crisis City mixed with Eggmanland. It's all in the execution IMO.

Generations has some of my favorite levels in the series though, so I'm not really worried about it being super fun to play.

I don't see Sally and friends making the leap though. There's something about their designs that wouldn't fit in with modern Sonic. I could see maybe Sally herself, but just not anyone else.

A weird idea I have is that it would be cool if Eggman is on the side of the Resistance, and someone else is in charge of his forces. That seems like a pretty "Sonic" thing to do.

I don't see them making the leap either, I just know quite a number of people who've always wanted to see some interaction with the comic canons, be it the Archie or Fleetway ones. I mean theres plenty of fan hacks and fan games that give those characters some nice stuff at least, so its not like they are completely left high & dry.

Eggman being the leader of the resistance, would be kind of amusing actually. I like the times where Sonic & Eggman are forced to work together (SA2 in particular comes to mind). Always something appealing about two former enemies having to work together, from Mario & Bowser, Goku & Piccolo to Optimus Prime and Megatron and beyond. Some temporary some permanent haha.

Edited by Jedi

don't recall if this was already posted there, but:

holy shit, this is going to become my ringtone sometime soon.

also:

[spoiler=might be a big pic, idk]13690739_1213809138650642_11207999047046