Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates Character #12

RoyLKing

This is a daily thing where I pick a random unit from fates, then make a post about it asking people's opinion on that character based on his/her stats, character, design, voice actor, etc...

Today's character is:

Saizo!

What is your opinion on Saizo?

Here's there link to the previous one if you missed it:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=65289

Edited by RoyLKing

Thought I'd dislike him since he looked like a generic tough guy ninja, but I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of his supports and even how he came across in the main story for the most part. Along with Flora and Charlotte, he was the biggest positive surprise for me.

Just keep him the hell away from Hinoka.

Also thought he would be a boring character, but he ended up being my favourite Ninja. He's very likeable and has interesting supports. He's also great as a unit, he's served me well as a Dread Fighter.

Saizo is pretty great character wise but it's gameplay where he becomes truly hilarious.

Inherent vantage + a solid mag growth lets explosion ninja pull off a pretty rad build, when reclassed into sorc/sage where he just walks around the map at one hp "safely" triggering his personal skill over, and over, and over. It's just a joy to use.

Edited by joshcja

Ah, the Flamin' Hot Shinobi. Saizou is one of my favorite characters and one of the more well-rounded members of the cast. I think this is because he doesn't really have a defining gimmick that can surface throughout every support like his peers, allowing for more range during his conversations.

Design, he is my favorite ninja. His hair is awesome: red (which I have a thing for red hair) and a mullet. The mask is badass and reminds me of the MK ninjas. His missing eye and scar really pulls his design together, making for a unique visage. Though, I thought his voice would be a bit deeper, overall, his VA did a good job.

Personality, I enjoy that he is more hot-blooded and somewhat rash than just brooding, like I thought he would be. He isn't overly suspicious, either. I think my favorite of his supports is his with Mozu because it shows a really humorous and friendly side to him. Plus, I really like the S support, specifically this part:

Mozu: Huh! How about that. I'd love to see your village someday, if we ever get the chance.
Saizou: How about the next time I go?
Mozu: Huh? You sure I'd be welcome?
Saizou: I don't see why not. They should meet the woman I'm going to marry.
Mozu: Wh... WHAT?!
Saizou: Ah, right. I meant to ask you. Mozu, will you be my wife?

(Plus, I think the Mother-child supports with Asugi works the best with her, considering the context)

But, yeah, Saizou is good.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

A super cool dude. I thought he'd be kinda bland and edgy, but he seemed chill. Has an adorable support with Sakura. Ben Diskin does a Hell of a job with his voice, it's probably one of my favorites in the game. Only bad thing is he has Asugi as a kid. And I guess his Hinoka support.

I was intrigued by him when I played Conquest, and decided that I wanted to use him when I started Birthrght later on. I was not disappointed. Made him into a Samurai and he turned out a lot like my Odin in my Conquest run actually, i.e. a lot of Def, Str and HP. He found a spot on my team even if Ryouma was present, which is saying something. His VA did a great job; his crit quotes especially are badass and fits him very well.

His supports are mostly good (I especially like his supports with Mozu, I married them just because of that, actually). However, I was a bit put off by this part in his S Support with Azura (married them in Revelation):

Saizo: ( ... ) Back home we have a special salve that can completely heal any scar. If you will allow it, I would like to bring you some to help erase your painful past.

Azura: That's really nice of you, but I'd rather you save it for somebody who really needs it. Like you, for example. That scar on your eye is much deeper than mine...
Saizo: Ah, yes, but this scar is a part of me now. To remove it would feel wrong. Besides, it's expected for men to have scars. Women must remain delicate.
Azura: That sounds kind of silly to me. Are you always this sexist?
Saizo: So I've been told. ( ... )

Not gonna lie, his indifference to Azura's critique made me a bit :/. I haven't read his support with Hinoka yet, and after reading what other people think about it I am kind of scared of doing so... haha. I'm afraid it will be more of this douchebaggery. Edit: I read it now, despite my worries. I was literally facepalming, oh my god. Glad to see he wasn't rude, though, haha.
But, well, yeah, still Saizo is one of the characters I like. Even if he has traits that I don't personally like (like abovementioned convo with Azura & how he interacts with Asugi), he certainly isn't a flat character, and that's good. It makes him memorable, especially in combination with his physical appearance - it makes for a well-written and thought-through character. Good job, IntSys.
Edited by lollipopocoaster

Like everyone here, I was really surprised by Saizo, showing a very good personality and having good supports for the most part.

He is also a good unit, altough i find his brother to be superior imho

Pretty much this except that I find Saizo superior to Kaze in every way. I still roll my eyes when I see his growths over how absurd they are, but regardless he's my favorite ninja warrior and one that I bring to Endgame everytime.

EDIT

@lollipopocoaster, I made my post without noticing yours but I think the Azura support shows that even the best of people still have their flaws and that's what also makes them endearing. Saizo has strengths and weakness and I believe things such as that convo show just how human he really is. I really doubt we'll get a character who can say that without being berated in today's society so I will always give a clap when people like him are created tastefully.

Edited by Raguna

I usually don't like the "edgy, anti social" ninja stereotype, but doesn't change the fact that he is a good unit and character. I love his personal skill and it even saved my speed/resistance screwed avatar's life from Camilla in chapter 13 and I'd love to see someone use this skill to it's full advantage in PVP. I still prefer Kaze but Saizo is still good. He is the best designed out of the ninja trio.

Also as a suggestion, to save the trouble of posting numerous topics for a character every week, change the title of this topic to Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates Character #13-"the subject character". It may save time and can create a sub community within the topic.

Edited by Kevlar

Also as a suggestion, to save the trouble of posting numerous topics for a character every week, change the title of this topic to Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates Character #13-"the subject character". It may save time and can create a sub community within the topic.

Sure, I can do that, even though the tags themselves show which character I'm talking about exactly.

I love Saizo. He is hands-down my favorite Hoshido-exclusive character. He was also the first Fates character I married, and I'm glad he was. I think I have a thing for characters who act super tough/mean on the outside, but actually have adorable and embarrassing secrets on the inside. He's also rather deep when it comes to his role in life as an assassin and the fifth Saizo. Although I like that he's bound to serve Hoshido, I sometimes wish he were the neutral ninja twin instead of Kaze, but maybe that's just me being biased for preferring Saizo. As a unit, Saizo's not the most reliable as I've had him fall in classic mode before, but his 80% skill growth rate gives me life.

Saizo... Hmm.

I'd say that I like some of his supports. For example, I liked his and Mozu's because they actually hit it off really well, and it isn't just a set of wacky ventures between two highly incompatible people that somehow results in them liking (and possibly falling in love with) one another. There isn't anything too profound with it; just two people talking about their homes, cooking, and genuinely enjoying one another's company. He works well with people he likes/appreciates, but I guess it's understandable when he doesn't like someone, particularly when Orochi just comes up to him and starts bad-mouthing him for no reason. He does have a soft spot though, so he isn't just a gimmick character, and I can appreciate that.

His backstory is kind of cool, too. Nothing too new about the whole "Fifth Saizo" thing; there's plenty of that in other written works. And his behavior towards it is also pretty standard. But I liked his dealings with the Mokushujin clan of ninjas and the story about his cut eye; it's nice to know it isn't just there for cosmetic purposes. What would've been kind of interesting as well is if he could support Midori, given that she's his niece and all.

Edited by Ertrick36

performance-wise: He's alright. I like that he's not as weak as Kaze nor as fragile as Kagero. His nice "in-between" stats make me prefer him over the other ninjas. Not to mention his kid, whom I really like.

character-wise: "m'lord" *tips shuriken*

I like him. He's mean, but a huge dork on the inside. I like that he has a lot of history with units like Kagero and Orochi. It makes him more interesting as a character.

He's alright. Haven't used him with reclassing, as I only played through each path once on hard (wrapping up lunatic Conquest, so Lunatic Birthright is next. Maybe time to experiment.) and found him to be a worse Kaze by virtue of his HP/Skill being the only real standouts. Problem is, neither of those matter a whole lot to ninjas, who in my experience don't have much problems landing blows, and would rather dodge than tank most days. I feel like Kagero and Kaze are more useful for their surprising damage potential (kagero) or consummate mage slaying (Kaze).

Was pretty disappointed in his kid, too. None of the 2nd gen awakening units are really that great in and of themselves, but it really is just gaius again with the same old schtick, and not a lot of interesting supports with his parents. Asugi's paralogue isn't that fun either, and since I typically try and do no-grind runs until the end, which child paralogues I play through during the actual story is important to me.

Overall I'd give him around a 6/10, maybe elevate that on my next playthrough if a reclass thrusts him into greater prominence.

I like Saizo, his supports are varied and overall great to read due to having a good background and bouncing off well with other characters, and he's a good character to play around with as a unit. He's easily one of my favorites from Hoshido, and if I can, I usually try to squeeze him onto my team in a new playthrough.

Edited by Medeus