Tellius Recollection (Vol 1) Translation / Discussion Thread

UPDATE: With this project complete, please check out my donation drive for Volume 2: Radiant Dawn!

Bulk download: Here! (Password: kantopia)

Imgur gallery: Here!

A big thank you to everyone who donated to help me on this project. It was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. A big thanks to Microwaveit, VincentASM, and AstroknighticalFeats for their help as well!

---

Original post:

Hello everyone! It's me again here with yet another translation project (that is not a Yonkoma!) You may have seen me around helping VincentASM with things here and there.

As you may know, the Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance Memorial Book: Tellius Recollection (Vol 1) book has been released. I plan on scanning/translating quite a bit of the book (hopefully the whole thing!). Though it may take awhile as it is done on free time, I hope it will provide some meaningful information for the fans of these games.

All images will be posted on an ongoing post on my blog.

This time, however, I will have some help from the lovely MicrowaveIt in translating different parts of the book, as well as VincentASM helping out here and there, so we can get through it quicker. The pages they do will credit them of course!

Please keep in mind this is all done on our free time though, and that we are making no money for it...so if there are some delays or if some posts take time, we are probably busy with some thing or another!

If you have some good translation skills and would love to help out, feel free to send me a PM (and if you don't have the book, can give you some scans. Though, I highly recommend buying the book yourself above too!) If you have the book but cannot translate, you can still help by scanning pages I may not have scanned yet!

I also want forum user input. I figure the best way to have direction in this project is to see what people want translated the most! Please check the table of contents below and see what interests you, and feel free to leave a request (for priority) in this thread! General discussion is fine too!

Contents of the Book

002 Introduction

004 Contents

006 Chapter I: World & Story

008 The Continent of Tellius & Its History

010 The Countries of Tellius & Their Might

012 Path of Radiance Story Digest

013 Playback: Memories

015 Playback: Greil’s Final Moments

019 Playback: Goldoa’s Prince

021 Playback: Meeting at Goldoa

023 Playback: The Forest Restored

025 Playback: Tragedy of the Medallion

027 Playback: Elincia’s Resolve

029 Playback: Darkness at Gritnea

030 Playback: Showdown

033 Playback: Crimea Rallies

034 Playback: The Mad King Advances

037 Playback: The Bonds that Formed

038 The Crimean Liberation Army’s Route

040 Chapter II: Characters

042 Character Relationship Chart

044 Main Character Profiles

(Characters listed in order as presented here)

112 Character List

128 Chapter III: Concept Art

130 Character Model Sheets

(A full list of specific characters who are presented will be up soon!)

162 Height Comparisons

164 Horses & Dragons

166 Class Designs

170 Weapon Designs

178 Image Boards (Backgrounds)

182 Battle Animations

186 Chapter IV: Relationships

188 Support Conversation Compilation

242 Chapter V: Extra

244 Line Arts

248 Box Art Designs

250 Cover Illustrations

252 Staff Room

254 Life Returns (Lyrics)

Now, we are assuming most people are interested in Chapter III. Chapter II is profiles with info most know (minus character ages and such). Chapter V may be second most interesting. IV and I's playback may be least important, so will be put on low priority.

That's just my guess though, feel free to say otherwise.

So, by default, I will be going through Chapter III first, translating characters in no particular order (usually by favorite/personal interest).

Let's see if we can get the bulk of this done before October rolls around and Vol 2 comes out... xD

Things Completed Thus Far:

Cover Art (Front & Back)

Chapter I Content: (World & Story)

(P. 08) History of Tellius (Translated by Vincent ASM)

008history.jpg

(P. 09) Timeline (Translated by VincentASM)

009timeline.jpg

(P. 10) Beorc History (Translated by VincentASM)

010beorchistory.jpg

(P. 11) Laguz History (Translated by VincentASM)

011laguzhistory.jpg

(P. 11) The Life Span of Beorc & Laguz (Translated by Microwaveit)

"The goddess Ashura created beorc and laguz. Since they were made in the Goddess’ likeness, their outward appearances (with, of course, some differences) were rather similar. However, the life expectancy between the races was quite different. Members of the Dragon tribe live exceptionally long, and even the Beast tribe, which has the closest life expectancy to the beorcs, has three times the average life expectancy. Beneath is a chart that was created by the noble families of Begnion, which we can look at for reference.

According to the chart, for each beorc year that a beast or bird laguz appears to be, they have actually aged the equivalent of three. If they look to be twenty, they have lived about sixty years. Among the bird tribes, the herons live the longest. The power of the honorable dragon tribes can be understood just from their extremely long life span. As they live 17 to 18 times as long as humans, their idea of history and confrontation is understandably very different.

Children who are born between a beorc and laguz, commonly referred to as the branded, are also contained in the chart. According to what is written, even a mix with a powerful dragon will live only 3 times as long as beorc on average. If beorc and laguz become closer and mix from here on out, we can predict that the lifespan of the branded will become closer and closer to that of beorc. Will a day like that come? We can’t be sure."

LaguzAges_zps9t1395vj.jpg

*Half Beast = Half Lion.

Chapter II Content: (Profiles)

Notes regarding profiles (from the book):

Main Character Commentary

From page 44 to 109, we compiled 66 of the main character illustrations and profile commentaries. All illustrations were done by Senri Kita based on the characters that were designed for the game.

Commentary

Character commentary/explanations. The content contains information that covers up until the end of the Mad King's War. Things like origin, family structure, and personal history are included.

A lot of the characters reappear in Radiant Dawn, and so have backgrounds that were unknown in Path of Radiance. Details like that will remain hidden for Tellius Recollection Volume 1, and be expanded upon in Volume 2.

Personal Data

The top block contains "Race/Class/Affinity/Origin." This is information that can be found in game. Character ages that had been confirmed (at the start of Path of Radiance) are also noted. "Apparent Designed Ages" are ages that were noted in design documents as a rough approximation of how old a character appears, but are by no means an absolute age for the character.

The bottom block contains "Hobby/Talent/Finds Important/Likes/Dislikes" of a character. These are all taken from design documents of the characters themselves. As such, they may contain information that is not really in the main game itself, or include slight differences [from the final product]. Do not assume the profiles to be absolute, either. It is more that we wished to capture a broad "essence" of a character [rather than set it in stone]. For example, in Ike's case, he may love meat, but there could be days where he wants to eat fish too. Likewise, though his father is dear family to him, there are times where he may disagree or feel frustrated by him.

Lines

Memorable lines from characters. Selections are generally lines from the main story, rather than focusing on support conversations.

All Character Personal Data (Hobbies, Likes/Dislikes, Talents, etc)

All Character Ages (Just ages)

Ike (P. 44)

Mist (P. 45)

Titania (P. 46)

Soren (P. 47)

Oscar (P. 48)

Boyd (P. 49)

Gatrie (P. 50) (Notes translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Shinon (P. 51)

Rhys (P. 52)

Rolf (P. 53)

Greil (P. 54) (Notes translated by VincentASM)

Elena (P. 55) (Notes translated by VincentASM)

Ike & Elincia (P. 56-57)

Elincia (P. 58-59)

Geoffrey (P. 60)

Lucia (P. 61)

Bastian (P. 62)

Renning (P. 63)

Mia (P. 64)

Kieran (P. 65)

Brom (P. 66)

Nephenee (P. 67)

Caineghis (P. 68) (Partially translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Giffca (P. 69) (Notes translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Lethe (P. 70)

Mordecai (P. 71) (Partially translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Ranulf (P. 72)

Tibarn (P. 73)

Ulki (P. 74)

Janaff (P. 75)

Reyson (P. 76) (Notes translated by VincentASM)

Leanne (P. 77) (Notes translated by VincentASM)

Naesala (P. 78)

Nealuchi (P. 79)

Dheginsea (P. 80)

Kurthnaga (P. 81)

Rajaion (P. 82)

Ena (P. 83)

Nasir (P. 84)

Gareth (P. 85) (Notes translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Sanaki (P. 86)

Sigrun (P. 87)

Sephiran (P. 88)

Zelgius (P. 89)

Tanith (P. 90) (partially translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Marcia (P. 91) (partially translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Astrid (P. 92)

Makalov (P. 93)

Tormod (P. 94)

Muarim (P. 95) (partially translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Ashnard (P. 96-97)

Black Knight (P. 98)

Petrine (P. 99)

Bertram (P. 100)

Tauroneo (P. 101) (partially translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Jill (P. 102) (partially translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Haar (P. 103) (partially translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

Ilyana (P. 104) (Notes translated by VincentASM)

Volke (P. 105) (Notes translated by VincentASM)

Zihark (P. 106)

Sothe (P. 107)

Stefan (P. 108)

Devdan (P. 109)

Calill (P. 110)

Largo (P. 111) (Notes translated by AstroknighticalFeats)

(All Portraits below can be seen in imgur gallery here)

Page 112 Portraits

Page 113 Portraits

Page 114 Portraits

Page 115 Portraits

Page 116 Portraits

Page 117 Portraits

Page 118 Portraits

Page 119 Portraits

Page 120 Portraits

Page 121 Portraits

Page 122 Portraits

Page 123 Portraits

Page 124 Portraits

Page 125 Portraits

Page 126 Portraits

Page 127 Portraits

Soren, Zihark, Marcia, Titania, and Kieran's unused Character Portraits (with translations)

Chapter III Content: (Concept Art)

Ike (130-131)

Mist, Elena, & Greil (132-133)

Titania (134-135)

Soren (136-137)

Oscar, Boyd, Gatrie, & Shinon (138-139)

Rhys, Rolf, & Elincia (140-141)

Elincia, Geoffrey, & Lucia (142-143)

Mia & Nephenee (144-145)

Caineghis, Ranulf, Lethe, & Mordecai (146-147)

Dheginsea, Kurthnaga, & Generic Dragons (148-149)

Ena, Gareth, Rajaion, & Tibarn (150-151)

Reyson, Leanne, Naesala, & Nealuchi (152-153)

Sanaki, Zelgius, & Sephiran (154-155)

Sigrun, Tanith, & Marcia (156-157)

Ashnard & the Black Knight (158-159)

Ilyana, Stefan, & Calill (160-161)

Height Comparisons Chart (162-163) (Translated by Microwaveit)

Horses & Wyverns (164-165)

Basic Class Designs (1) (166-167)

Basic Class Designs (2) (168-169)

Sword Designs (170-171)

Axe & Knife Designs (172-173)

Lance Designs (174-175)

Bow Designs (176)
Magic Tomes + Brief History of Magic in Tellius (177)

Beorc Landscapes (178-179) (Translated by Vincent ASM)

Laguz Landscapes (180-181) (Translated by Vincent ASM)

Battle Animation Sketches (1) (P. 183-184)

Battle Animation Sketches (2) (P. 184-185)

Chapter V Content: (Extras)

Event Sketches (P. 244-245)

Opening Movie Sketches (P. 246-247)

Box Art Designs (248-249)

Cover Art + Senri Kita Comments (250-251)

Developers' Thoughts (252-253)

Cut Ike Portrait (from Last Page)

Edited by Kirokan

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, you did mention this before, I'll be sure to check out your posts later on. And I'm personally more interested in Chapters 2 and 1, I don't mind a recap but that's just me.

I wish you guys luck, comrade.

Oh yeah, you did mention this before, I'll be sure to check out your posts later on. And I'm personally more interested in Chapters 2 and 1, I don't mind a recap but that's just me.

I wish you guys luck, comrade.

I do love to look at stuff like that out of pure completionism! xD But for now will focus on any new info the book can bring to the 11 year old game! (Though, I wonder if small tidbits in the recap may reveal something... may give it a look through later xD)

Strangely enough, the things that interest me the most are the first two paragraphs of the first chapter.

In general tough, I'm interested in pretty much everything present, so feel free to translate what you prefer.

Anyway, good luck for the translation!

Thank you! Microwaveit has been in touch with the reddit side of things, and it seems like people really want the height comparison chart (as well as some of the background/timeline stuff), so I'll get to doing those as I go through concept work too. : )

A new post shows Mia and Nephnee's concept! Just did it out of favoritism as I wait for more preference requests. Up next is Sanaki, Zelgius, and Sephiran!

Ooh, this is neat! Though it's probably going to say all the paired endings in RD are canon, which is only natural... Disappointing for me (mostly), but still...

I don't like a few of the ages given (like why is Janaff not given the age he actually stated he was in-game, which is 110?), but this is IS's stuff, so...

Edited by Anacybele

Ooh, this is neat! Though it's probably going to say all the paired endings in RD are canon, which is only natural... Disappointing for me (mostly), but still...

I don't like a few of the ages given (like why is Janaff not given the age he actually stated he was in-game, which is 110?), but this is IS's stuff, so...

The ages given are what age the character looks like. Yes Janaff is 110, but he looks about 30.

The ages given are what age the character looks like. Yes Janaff is 110, but he looks about 30.

Duh. But why not just state that Janaff is 110 since that's the case? And he definitely does not look 30. He looks more like a teenager to me. If he's supposed to look about 30, that's fine, but I don't think that was pulled off well. What age a character looks can be kind of subjective and down to opinion, and this is another thing I don't like about the age chart. I think Rolf looks a bit older than 12, Mist a bit younger than 15, and so on.

Also, if this is official stuff, why not just give definite ages to everybody instead of relative ones/guesses? Were they just not sure or something?

But this thread isn't about complaining about the age chart, so I'll just leave it at that. xP

Can't wait to see more concept art! That Elincia is beautiful! (even though her on the back and Ike on the front makes me lament the lack of Ike x Elincia even more... ;_;).

Edited by Anacybele

This is cool, I'm looking forward to seeing the content and new pictures from the book. I'm sure you can guess who I'm looking forward to seeing the most.

Although I agree with Anacybele that the input of Apparent Ages is a tad disappointing, I wonder if they were concerned to commit to actual ages outright.

Edited by Zelgius

IS are massive teases, that's all.

They said waay back that they wouldn't be revealing any concrete ages and they weren't lying. Unfortunately for us : (

The "apparent ages" are a bit of a cop out, but they're kinda useful, I guess? Like maybe for cosplay or drawing purposes.

EDIT:

I can only think of two reasons why IS is conservative with ages. One, they want fans to use their imagination. Or two, they're afraid of committing, for... reasons.

Edited by VincentASM

Oh, I see. Then I guess I could hope for no concrete statements on pairings, but I still don't think that'll happen since each character that has a paired/alternate ending only has one, aside from Ike who has two and IS could easily say that Soren and Ranulf both went with him.

But enough about pairings, really, I'm interested in everything else in the book too because I just LOVE Tellius. I want more history and more everything! It's fascinating and could also help with my fics!

Edited by Anacybele

I don't think this book will be too revealing about the Tellius lore, it will probably mostly be a retread of the information from the background site. The gems are going to be the behind the scenes stuff from the design staff.

Yeah, probably, but I'm still interested anyway in case I see some things I'd not noticed or completely forgotten or something. My main fic may technically be slightly AU, but I'm still trying to keep as close to canon as I can for it.

Speaking of which, I had originally been pegging Geoffrey at 24 and Lucia at 27 with Elincia at the same age as Ike (17-18 throughout PoR since one full year goes by in it). But I never actually outright said this in the story text, and what I have can still work (in fact, it probably works a little better with this new info and it only says they're supposed to look 21 and 22, so...), so thankfully I don't need to change anything. Glad to know this.

Edited by Anacybele

Man this is so awesome I loved The Art of Fire Emblem Awakening book I ended up getting the Japanese version months before they announced it was getting a English release hopefully they do the same with the Tellius books.

At any rate. Great job undertaking the translations and scanning work Kirokan!

This book is just volume 1 and appears to be focused only on PoR. Volume 2 should be RD.

I'm saying that if this trend of not actually giving the ages of the characters continues (which it probably will), we'll never find out Micaiah's age.

Alright, so I translated the Beorc and Laguz Lifespan comparison chart (and description paragraphs):

The following is on page 11, and is written as if it is coming from someone within the Tellius world. Kirokan, maybe you can figure out a way to make this go nicely in the compilation? I fail big time at forums haha.
"The goddess Ashura created beorc and laguz. Since they were made in the Goddess’ likeness, their outward appearances (with, of course, some differences) were rather similar. However, the life expectancy between the races was quite different. Members of the Dragon tribe live exceptionally long, and even the Beast tribe, which has the closest life expectancy to the beorcs, has three times the average life expectancy. Beneath is a chart that was created by the noble families of Begnion, which we can look at for reference.
According to the chart, for each beorc year that a beast or bird laguz appears to be, they have actually aged the equivalent of three. If they look to be twenty, they have lived about sixty years. Among the bird tribes, the herons live the longest. The power of the honorable dragon tribes can be understood just from their extremely long life span. As they live 17 to 18 times as long as humans, their idea of history and confrontation is understandably very different.
Children who are born between a beorc and laguz, commonly referred to as the branded, are also contained in the chart. According to what is written, even a mix with a powerful dragon will live only 3 times as long as beorc on average. If beorc and laguz become closer and mix from here on out, we can predict that the lifespan of the branded will become closer and closer to that of beorc. Will a day like that come? We can’t be sure."
**EDIT: I have no idea how tables work on this thing I'm sorry!!**

Race | Outward Appearance | Average Life expectancy

Beorc | 1 | 60

Lion | 3 | 180

Tiger | 3.2 | 192

Cat | 3.4 | 204

Hawk | 3.45 | 207

Raven | 3.5 | 210

Heron | 5 | 300

Red Dragon | 16.7 | 1002

Black Dragon | 17 | 1020

White Dragon | 17.5 | 1050

Half Black Dragon | 3.33 | 185

Half Beast | 1.2 | 94

Half Tiger | 1.02 | 65

Edited by Microwaveit

Erg... I honestly didn't expect this for laguz life expentancies. I figured all laguz lived at least a few hundred years, though I was right that dragons are the only ones that get into the thousands. And then Branded, while I was right that their lifespan depends on the type of laguz they're descended from, I thought they would live longer than that too.

I actually created a wolf Branded who is 80, but looks to be in his mid twenties. Now I can see that that wasn't accurate. xP Oh well, too late to go back now. I already wrote a lot of this in my fiction.

Updated main post with the lifespan info : )

So we'll basically never find out Micaiah's age then?

They may have a more absolute one for her, after all people like Shinon did. xD We'll see come October 28th!

A) We have ages and heights for all characters, but we apologise that we cannot diclose such information.

Incredible, that after all these years, they actually kept this sort of "promise" (they said they would eventually disclose this, so...). as geeky as it may be, Ha. :3

I'm also a tad surprised, they seem pretty damn accurate- especially with my personal speculation. I would have thought Sothe was somewhere around 14-15 in PoR. I also thought Mist was 14, but 15 makes sense, too.

I'm looking forward to the RD version.

Regarding Micaiah's age, I'd really put her somewhere between 23-28 (TOPS). She can't be that much older than Sanaki, and also bear in mind she can't be that old, as she actually doesn't remember anything about her past. If you also look at the flashback with kid Sothe, she doesn't look super young (I'd put 13 at the earliest, considering this takes place 10 years before RD, but she looks older in the flashback).

Race | Outward Appearance | Average Life expectancy

Half Black Dragon | 3.33 | 185

Half Beast | 1.2 | 94

Half Tiger | 1.02 | 65

So the first two are obviously Soren and Stefan, but is the the third Petrine? I can't think of another Branded in PoR apart from those three.