General Parenting Thread

Rezzy

this was a little over ten years ago, so perhaps there have been some advancements! that's good.

and that's adorable. :) i used to have a full collection of every power ranger and i wouldn't go to sleep without them, according to my mom.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something that came up while I was visiting my godson, but when do you guys think it's good to start "training" a baby to speak, or if it's even especially needed.

During a check-up, his mom had been told to start it. Considering my godson is only one and a half years old, we found this a bit weird. I don't think he's especially undeveloped on it either (my comparison point being the other kids in the family). His mom did say it almost felt like the doctor made this remark just to criticize them of something since there wasn't anything wrong with his health.

Just talking with and around your kids is normally enough. I've never done any particular "training" for Leo, unless you count reading to him.

Thanks for the replies Res and Rezzy! It's good to know being normal around him is enough. While the doctor's advice felt weird to us, we were also hesitant to question a professional's words just like that. For the record, he shows all the signs Res mentioned, plus has few recognizable if a bit incorrectly pronounced words.

Though we didn't talk much about what the "training" included, his mom did give pointing at objects and saying what they are as an example. Overall I got the impression what the doctor suggested didn't sound natural at all.

Res I must say, I recently read your logs of playing Fates with Anya, and those were poor gold! So adorable =)

Res I must say, I recently read your logs of playing Fates with Anya, and those were poor gold! So adorable =)

Ah, thank you! :D I'm always glad when people enjoy the posts. I reaaaaaally need to get on with playing more - we started the latest chapter the other night, but as always, something came up. Trying to find a time when Anya's awake but Niko's not is really tough. I quizzed her the other day and she still remembers the characters, and she's really excited when I get new merchandise for my Fates bedroom wall.

My kids are horrible sleepers but, finally, at the age of 4 1/2, Anya has started putting herself to bed! Woo!!! And she's finally also sleeping through the night more often than not.

Couple of photos: Anya as Rainbow Knight:

20161011142032-8fdfb40a-me.jpg

That was right before Niko walked up behind her, she was swinging her sword around and she sliced his lip open... oops. She was super upset, she hates hurting her brother. It seems to be healing nicely, at any rate.

Niko's hair is growing pretty long:

20161011140334-02466225-me.jpg

He really seems to like his long hair; I've tried to trim it a couple of times, but he gets really upset. He brings me hair ties, then points to his head and runs his hand through his hair to indicate that he wishes me to tie it back. It's not quite long enough for a ponytail, as the photo indicates!

Ah, thank you! :D I'm always glad when people enjoy the posts. I reaaaaaally need to get on with playing more - we started the latest chapter the other night, but as always, something came up. Trying to find a time when Anya's awake but Niko's not is really tough. I quizzed her the other day and she still remembers the characters, and she's really excited when I get new merchandise for my Fates bedroom wall.

My kids are horrible sleepers but, finally, at the age of 4 1/2, Anya has started putting herself to bed! Woo!!! And she's finally also sleeping through the night more often than not.

Couple of photos: Anya as Rainbow Knight:

20161011142032-8fdfb40a-me.jpg

That was right before Niko walked up behind her, she was swinging her sword around and she sliced his lip open... oops. She was super upset, she hates hurting her brother. It seems to be healing nicely, at any rate.

Niko's hair is growing pretty long:

20161011140334-02466225-me.jpg

He really seems to like his long hair; I've tried to trim it a couple of times, but he gets really upset. He brings me hair ties, then points to his head and runs his hand through his hair to indicate that he wishes me to tie it back. It's not quite long enough for a ponytail, as the photo indicates!

I hope Leo treats his little sister well, like that. Is that a Halloween costume? I think we're going to stay home this year, since Leo's not quite old enough to go out yet.

Leo's hair is in dire need of a haircut. I think it's pretty much universal that kids don't like getting their hair cut. Leo doesn't even like it when I try to trim his nails. I don't have that many good pictures recently, because it's hard to get good pictures of him, since he's always moving.

[spoiler=Leo likes the Pathfinder Bestiary]af0ebf57-0bfc-4ed8-80a1-97a4dfaa9e12_zps

It was last year's Halloween costume, yes! Only she lost interest in it at the last second - but we managed to persuade her to wear it in combination with a rainbow tutu, and she went as a rainbow-knight-fairy.

I'm sure he'll be a great big brother! And I love his curls.

Anya actually chose to get her hair cut over having me brush it/put it up. Niko actually loves having his hair brushed. He loves being pampered in general - baths, body lotion, having his nails trimmed, having his teeth brushed, etc. The only thing he protests is diaper changes. Anya haaaated baths and teeth-brushing for a good two years, so it's funny to have her complete opposite.

It was last year's Halloween costume, yes! Only she lost interest in it at the last second - but we managed to persuade her to wear it in combination with a rainbow tutu, and she went as a rainbow-knight-fairy.

I'm sure he'll be a great big brother! And I love his curls.

Anya actually chose to get her hair cut over having me brush it/put it up. Niko actually loves having his hair brushed. He loves being pampered in general - baths, body lotion, having his nails trimmed, having his teeth brushed, etc. The only thing he protests is diaper changes. Anya haaaated baths and teeth-brushing for a good two years, so it's funny to have her complete opposite.

I hope Est is more cooperative than Leo. He cooperates when his diaper is changed, but nail and hair grooming, he hates. He loves splashing around in the tub, but he hates having water dumped on his head or being shampooed. Tooth brushing goes either way, he doesn't like other people brushing his teeth, but he loves stealing mommy or daddy's toothbrush and using it to try and brush his own teeth. Leo also used to fight taking naps, but he's gotten a little better about that.

Oh boy not cooperative babies, I was one of them.

My mom had to catch me every single time because I didn't want to get my diaper changed.

(I only realized my mistake after I read that quote, but I hope it was obvious I meant "pure gold" despite writing "poor". I sometimes do that with words that sound similar to me. Usually I catch them though)

Oh yes, I imagine finding alone time with one child when there's two in the house gets harder and harder as they grow! Nice to know she's still excited about Fates, it must be important to her (I would guess precisely that alone time with her mom is part of it).

Just to add to what I said previously, I think it's also interesting to see a child's reactions to Fates since the standard internet reaction is... Something very different, shall we say.

I don't remember myself (of course), but my mom has said I was pretty cooperative about most things as a baby. Exceptions being trimming nails, cutting hair and when me and mom disagreed about eating my socks.

Yes!

I have a few strong quirks which, combined with some of the issues I had as a child (didn't speak until 4, was very socially immature), sometimes make me wonder... but overall, nothing's really interfered with adult life

Anyway, Niko loves to line up cars and trains, too, and gets very irate if you move them. He loves it when I count them for him. :)

Hey what's up. I dont mean to scare you, but young you showed telltale signs of autism (taking really long to speak, difficulty with interaction), and your son does as well.

I recommend you take it up with someone who can diagnose this. Autistic people/children who go undiagnosed, have to deal with a lot of hardships. Also in case of autistic parents, they tend to have problems dealing with older children.

Just to add to what I said previously, I think it's also interesting to see a child's reactions to Fates since the standard internet reaction is... Something very different, shall we say.

I don't remember myself (of course), but my mom has said I was pretty cooperative about most things as a baby. Exceptions being trimming nails, cutting hair and when me and mom disagreed about eating my socks.

That's funny about the socks!

And yes, very different, haha. I think my favourite part is how much she loves Camilla.

Hey what's up. I dont mean to scare you, but young you showed telltale signs of autism (taking really long to speak, difficulty with interaction), and your son does as well.

I recommend you take it up with someone who can diagnose this. Autistic people/children who go undiagnosed, have to deal with a lot of hardships. Also in case of autistic parents, they tend to have problems dealing with older children.

I did!

And not to dismiss concerns, but I really, truly don't think my son is autistic, although if he was, that wouldn't be an issue and I would seek assistance. But he has enough words for his age (just less than his sister), and apart from lining things up, he doesn't display any other signs - for example, he's highly affectionate, makes eye contact/follows things, follows commands, engages in imaginative play and interacts really well with other kids his age.

And not to dismiss concerns, but I really, truly don't think my son is autistic, although if he was, that wouldn't be an issue and I would seek assistance. But he has enough words for his age (just less than his sister), and apart from lining things up, he doesn't display any other signs - for example, he's highly affectionate, makes eye contact/follows things, follows commands, engages in imaginative play and interacts really well with other kids his age.

My son also loves lining up his cars and trains, but he is extremely sociable. I suppose it could be one of the traits of autism, but I think in isolation, it's nothing to be concerned about.

I was also very normal as a small child, and I know a few small children with autism who are as well. But good on you to have it checked out.

I'm pretty sure confirmation bias plays a part in me saying this, but I've yet to meet a baby boy who doesn't do stuff line up toy cars or otherwise put things in order. (Not that the order is always obvious to others though)

That said, lining up cars and trains could easily be explained by the fact that you would usually see the real ones in lines on roads and rails.

That's funny about the socks!

And yes, very different, haha. I think my favourite part is how much she loves Camilla.

Let's just say that the little Sylphid had his moments :P:

Yeah that's pretty funny actually. And to be honest, I can see how a child would see her differently than we adults do.

Yeah, I imagine that a child, especially one your kid's age, Res, wouldn't understand that designs like Camilla's are mostly criticized for being overly sexualized and all, and would only see her motherly characteristics. So yeah, I agree with Sylphid there.

• 4 weeks later...

Leo's adjusting to having a new little sister.

He missed his nap yesterday, which didn't do him any favors, but otherwise he's doing okay. It's cute but he has a couple stuffed animals that have to be in his crib before he'll go to sleep. I had cleared out his crib to wash the sheets a couple days ago, and he threw them back into his crib before his nap.

I would say some kids just get out of naps earlier than others, honestly. Every kid is different, after all. I don't think I napped for long (I know I stopped napping by 3 or 4 since I never napped in preschool, let alone kindergarten. I always just laid there on my mat staring at the toys), but my brother napped through kindergarden at least, I'm pretty sure.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm not sure since when exactly, but I was a very irregular napper. Sometimes I would nap normally, sometimes I just couldn't sleep. What I do know, however, is that I totally stopped napping during my first year of kindergarten (at age of 3). I would fight the urge to fall asleep with everything I had and sometimes throw tantrums to avoid naps.

The reason? My kindergarten had forced nap hour, during which everyone had to go to a big room with bunch of uncomfortable camp beds and lie down, regardless of if they could sleep or not. I absolutely hated that (for the record, I can actually remember that room and how oppressing it felt). I think my mom's still a bit sour about that, she still sometimes mentions how she would try to appeal for kids who couldn't sleep to be allowed to do other calming activities like draw or play with blocks or whatever (though she quickly adds that she understands this could disturb the kids who actually would nap).

I hope Leo, Est, Anya and Niko (and other kids) won't have to go through something like this xP

I just looked up Anya's future kingergarten schedule and, no nap. :) And it looks as if kids receive 40 minute breaks for lunch; I've heard of schools only offering 20 minutes these days, so that's good! Forced nap would not go down well!

Niko is my more obedient child (and better listener, too), but Anya is already attempting to teach him her ways. He already copies almost everything she does, so, I'm definitely in trouble. This conversation happened last night (it took me about 40 minutes to get them to help me, but I persisted because I probably don't insist often enough that Anya helps. Of course the actual tidying portion only took about 10 minutes).

Me: Anya, help clean up please.
Anya: Why? Ugh I HATE CLEANING UP.
Me: You live here and you made this mess; cleaning it up is part of your chores, we all have them.
Me: Niko, you can help too.
Niko: No.
Me: Yes. Put the Lego away.
Niko: No.
Me: Yes.
*Niko starts putting the Lego away*
Anya: NIKO! Stop!
Niko: ...
Anya: Say 'why'.
Niko: Why.
Anya: VERY GOOD! Now say 'ma'.
Niko: Ma!
Anya: Excellent. Now say, 'why, ma?'

Well as long as you dont go into your anger. Today I was on the train and I was sitting close by the toilet when a mother and her (3-5yo) daughter came by to go to the toilet. Then they came by 10 minutes later, and the girl didn't want to go to the toilet. Then her mother says "you said you needed to go to the loo, if you dont need to go then we're going back". Then she tells the child to come, and when she doesn't immediately respond, grabs her by the arm and roughly pulls her away.

I thought this was a good example of how not to do things.

Oh goodness, no. I was actually struggling to contain my laughter because Anya sounded so like me/my mother-in-law in how she was congratulating Niko.

I try to stick to my guns, because one of the most important things is to be consistent. This is regardless of the subject - for example, if I promise a trip to the zoo, I give them a trip to the zoo, come hell or high water. The only time I've gone back on a promise was when they were both physically ill and I couldn't justify taking them out in public (luckily, they were sick enough to agree with me). It also means that if I say they can't finish watching the Pokemon episode until the living room is tidy (which was last night), that I make sure I follow through on that, too.

I've had to make a point not to indulge Leo too much. He pretty much never used to have candy, but with Halloween, we had a lot left over, so he was eating some. He'd eat one, then come up and want another. After his third, I had to say no to a fourth, which he wasn't thrilled about.

Niko has a definite sweet tooth, so I'm careful with him, too. He also loves coffee, whether it's sweetened or not.

What with the four day weekend approaching, we're going to finally try and wean him. I'm super touched out and so ready. I hope it works...