General Parenting Thread

Rezzy

Niko has a definite sweet tooth, so I'm careful with him, too. He also loves coffee, whether it's sweetened or not.

What with the four day weekend approaching, we're going to finally try and wean him. I'm super touched out and so ready. I hope it works...

Weaned off candy? I don't think Leo's ever had coffee, but neither of us drink it, so he's not really exposed to it much. He wants to drink my soda, but I don't let him.

Leo's tall enough to reach some the light switches now, or moves boxes to reach them, so now I'm always seeing lights flicker in the other room.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, weaned off nursing. ;) He's doing fantastic so far! This is much harder on me than on him.

He doesn't have that many sweets. Normally I'll indulge his sweet tooth with vanilla yoghurt or the like.

And wow, big boy!

No, weaned off nursing. ;) He's doing fantastic so far! This is much harder on me than on him.

He doesn't have that many sweets. Normally I'll indulge his sweet tooth with vanilla yoghurt or the like.

And wow, big boy!

Ah, I see. How old is he now? We weaned Leo at about a year and a half. Right before getting pregnant with Est, actually.

Leo is ready for his Pokemon Adventure now. He doesn't want to wait until he's ten. Or in this case, he doesn't want to wait until Christmas to play with his new toy.

636ac16d-7beb-48f6-9c9d-8ad45d47f3e7_zps

Aww, so cute!

Pikachu was Niko's first three syllable word - although he pronounced it Pi-pi-chu. Anya wants to dress up as Eevee next year!

Cool. Leo stole my GameBoy today and was trying to play my Pokemon Sun. I need to get locks for my drawers. I'm not a fan of him rifling through my drawers...

I'm not either; are you particular about orderliness and keeping things nice? I really am. It's probably one of the hardest parts of parenting, for me...

I try to keep the house in decent order, but it's pretty much impossible with a 2 year-old. I at the very least want to things in drawers to stay in drawers. And Leo has his own toys, he doesn't need to steal mommy's.

I've tried to play a bit Pokemon today, but Leo's been pretty clingy and keep tugging at my sleeve, trying to get me to follow him into his room.

Lol I thought it would be about the dildos and it turns out its about the dildos.

Er, that's not what I meant. And not this time, anyway. I keep those in a different drawer, that he can't reach, after the first time he tried going in that particular drawer.

Leo keeps wanting to play with stuff he sees mommy and daddy use, like the GameBoy and the computer, as well as pulling books and stuff off the shelves. He just doesn't know how to be gentle with them yet. The problem is that he gets into everything, now.

Edited by Rezzy

I hope you got a chance to play more Pokemon!

And yes, it's a tough age! It takes my husband and I a good couple of hours to clean up once we get home from work.

Thanks, I hopefully will get a chance this weekend.

Today, a woman told me my kids looked like JC Penny models. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Is that a new butterfly picture, or am I just imagining things?

Leo keeps wanting to play with stuff he sees mommy and daddy use, like the GameBoy and the computer, as well as pulling books and stuff off the shelves. He just doesn't know how to be gentle with them yet. The problem is that he gets into everything, now.

This, I was like this, everytime my father would turn on his computer and play starcraft, I would ask my mom to give me a chair and I asked my father so many times if I could play.

This, I was like this, everytime my father would turn on his computer and play starcraft, I would ask my mom to give me a chair and I asked my father so many times if I could play.

Yeah, he likes sitting on my lap and trying to bang on the keyboard. Soon, I think he'll be ready to play some actual games. He pretty much button mashes, now, but he knows how to get into the games on my 3DS menu.

I remember playing Super Mario Bros on the NES, when I was 3.

Thanks, I hopefully will get a chance this weekend.

Today, a woman told me my kids looked like JC Penny models. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Is that a new butterfly picture, or am I just imagining things?

I'd take it as a good thing!

And it is! It's a photo I actually took myself, as opposed to my previous butterfly, which was a stock photo. We found some

Monarch crysalises and watched the butterflies emerge, then released them.

Yeah, he likes sitting on my lap and trying to bang on the keyboard. Soon, I think he'll be ready to play some actual games. He pretty much button mashes, now, but he knows how to get into the games on my 3DS menu.

I remember playing Super Mario Bros on the NES, when I was 3.

Lol, I see that he learned really fast.

I never actually owned a game until my dad bought me Gates of Darkness when I was like 6 or 7 years old. A very difficult game to play when you are a kid with no knowledges of pokémon whatsoever, but it has the best starter.

I'd take it as a good thing!

And it is! It's a photo I actually took myself, as opposed to my previous butterfly, which was a stock photo. We found some

Monarch crysalises and watched the butterflies emerge, then released them.

I remember we used to have a billion monarch butterflies everywhere in Illinois when I was growing up, but now we hardly ever see them anymore. They're so pretty, and they're my favorite butterfly. Maybe I should just get a field of milkweed to attract them.

Lol, I see that he learned really fast.

I never actually owned a game until my dad bought me Gates of Darkness when I was like 6 or 7 years old. A very difficult game to play when you are a kid with no knowledges of pokémon whatsoever, but it has the best starter.

I love the GameCube Pokemon games. I wish they made more like them.

I was in my teens before I played games at home. Consoles were banned and I didn't really start playing console games until my mid-twenties. :(

It's fascinating seeing how quickly kids adapt to touch screen technology. Both kids learned to swipe left and right on my iPhone before they turned one. Anya could play simple touch screen games at two, whereas she's 4.5 now and only just beginning to really grasp how to use the Xbox controller. She does reasonably well in Minecraft although she doesn't accomplish much (a friend's boy, who's a week older than Anya, is a whiz at Minecraft, although he's also had a lot more practice).

Anya's also been enjoying Wind Waker! That and Minecraft are the main two games she actually controls herself on a non-touch screen medium.

I was in my teens before I played games at home. Consoles were banned and I didn't really start playing console games until my mid-twenties. :(

It's fascinating seeing how quickly kids adapt to touch screen technology. Both kids learned to swipe left and right on my iPhone before they turned one. Anya could play simple touch screen games at two, whereas she's 4.5 now and only just beginning to really grasp how to use the Xbox controller. She does reasonably well in Minecraft although she doesn't accomplish much (a friend's boy, who's a week older than Anya, is a whiz at Minecraft, although he's also had a lot more practice.

Anya's also been enjoying Wind Waker! That and Minecraft are the main two games she actually controls herself on a non-touch screen medium.

Edited by Res

• 3 weeks later...

I have the problem of wanting to not wear my wedding ring to work, but I don't know where to put it, because Leo has been getting into everything lately, and it's small enough that I'm afraid I'd lose it if it's somewhere obscure.

Is stringing it on a necklace a possibility?

How is life with two going? :)

Technically no. In surgery, they don't want you wearing anything except scrubs, not even undershirts (which I usually wear, since I get cold easily). I see plenty of people wear necklaces, but they are technically not allowed.

• 3 weeks later...

I did wonder if it was related to surgery!

I'm flying back to the UK for my grandfather's funeral tomorrow - by myself, with both kids. Uuuugh!!! I'm hoping I can fit everything into one suitcase, because our trip to Italy was tough with all the luggage we had to handle, and I had my husband's help then. Also Niko was a nightmare on the last flight, so cross fingers he's better tomorrow. Unfortunately for cost reasons he's going to be a lap baby, but he's already the size of a 2 year old, so that'll be fun.

I did wonder if it was related to surgery!

I'm flying back to the UK for my grandfather's funeral tomorrow - by myself, with both kids. Uuuugh!!! I'm hoping I can fit everything into one suitcase, because our trip to Italy was tough with all the luggage we had to handle, and I had my husband's help then. Also Niko was a nightmare on the last flight, so cross fingers he's better tomorrow. Unfortunately for cost reasons he's going to be a lap baby, but he's already the size of a 2 year old, so that'll be fun.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Sadly, I've lost both my grandfathers, but still have both grandmothers and have been able to have them in my kids' lives.

I haven't flown with kids yet. I haven't even taken them on any long car trips yet. The longest Leo has gone in a car ride is 2 hours, and that last half hour was always the hardest.

Est has lost a lot of her hair in the last few weeks. She's got a bit on top and a lot more around the sides. It's mostly reddish-brown, but a bit of peach fuzz blonde in some spots. She's been very smiley since a couple weeks ago or so.

Leo has taken to raiding the fridge, now. He went through 6 cups of yogurt in one day, and he likes grabbing apples out of the crisper. Sometimes, he can open the yogurt on his own, but if he can't he hands it to me. Funnily, one time, he grabbed a Coke out of the fridge and handed it to me.

Aww, I love how observant they are! And ooh, red hair!

I still have my dad's parents left, although his dad is soon to be 93 and had two heart attacks ten years ago - a third is pretty much guaranteed to kill him. He really overhauled his life, though, and is verrrry careful not to over-exert himself, hence he's managed to hang on!

Flying with kids is pretty terrible; if it wasn't for having family abroad I'd have waited longer. The worst time to fly is whenever they start crawling to about 2.5 years. After 2.5 Anya grew more interested in sitting and watching movies. When Anya was 9 months, she was recovering from norovirus when we flew back to the US, and she had 6 blowouts. That was pretty bad. And Niko was awful last summer - didn't sleep and was super restless.