General Parenting Thread

Rezzy

23 minutes ago, Nym said:

Yes! Another one in the blond squad, let's go :P.

I hope for her that is hair doesn't end being curly or too curly, it's very hard to use the hair brush once your hair has completely grown.

My hair's straight, and from what hair she has so far, it seems straight, but we'll see.  Leo's is somewhere between wavy and straight.  He hates it when I try to comb or wash his hair, though, so it's mostly just cowlicky.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/21/2017 at 1:22 PM, Res said:

I keep waiting for Niko's hair to change but it's still really blond. I'm placing bets on it turning brown by age 5. 

Est's hair is a bit darker than Leo's currently, but it's getting to be pretty blonde.

Leo has taken to taking his step stool for the bathroom around the house.  It lets him reach a lot higher than I'm used to.  It's like getting surprise ambushed by a unit in Heroes, because I underestimated the range with a Dancer on the team.

And it seems that Azura has reached S Support...

Let's hope that Azura hasn't heard about the baby realms

Carrying the step stool around is adorable! Though I can see how it could be annoying too, since suddenly the "danger zone" is much larger. At least Leo doesn't come with a brave tome and there's no inheritable one. 3 movement with support though... I sense a trauma coming up

Congrats to Rena!

It's kind of funny how kids will sometimes take forever to start to learn a new skill then, bam, they've gained it overnight. Around Christmas-time Anya could barely read a single word, and since Kindergarten expects kids to be reading and writing sentences now, I was beginning to think we'd have to study hard over the summer. Then all of a sudden she can read pretty much everything. Last night she stayed up until nearly 8.30 pm, but she read at least 20 books out loud to herself (and only got one word wrong), so I can't complain!

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've shared any updates.  Kids are doing well.  Leo loves being a big brother, and he's always handing toys and stuff to Est; I'd say the cat is more jealous than Leo is.

Est is now sitting up on her own and turning over.  She's trying to crawl, and I wouldn't be surprised if she started soon.

Adorable, as always.

Wait, you have a cat too? 2 kids, work, a husband and a cat, no wonder you are so busy :P.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Rezzy said:

Well, happy Mothers' Day to all the moms out there.

Happy Mother Day to you!

As the loud dad of the bunch, Happy Mother's Day to you, Rezzy, Res, and any others that stumble across this thread!

• 1 month later...

T-T-Thank you, @Rezzy! Spending the day with kids, making chocolate chip pancakes, chocolate cakes, and movies upon movies~!

Also, we beat Calamity Ganon! Hylian Hero Eliedad!

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot father's day! Sorry to all the forum dads!

Renewing Anya's passport was a palava today; I can't believe it was time to renew already. Still, finally got it submitted.

Two is such a wonderful age. I really love two. I don't know why it gets called the terrible twos. Three, four and five are all far more challenging so far. Twos are polite and sweet and I love their conversation.

• 3 weeks later...

Leo's almost through with the terrible twos, though I hear three is worse.  Leo's a great kid most of the time, though I was looking for the right word, and I would say he's recalcitrant.  I was actually trying to remember that word for a couple minutes, but it's perfect.  Est is also picking herself up and standing now.  She's a bit behind in the teeth department, though.  But a dentist I know was saying that he wouldn't worry about the teeth, since they'll come eventually.

The end of July will see the annual double birthday party Hobbit-style for Leo and me!

Ooh, a Hobbit-style party sounds fab!

3 is definitely worse... 

I can't believe Est is standing already! And I hear teeth that come later are stronger. ;) (I googled and apparently some dentists believe this to be true?)

5 minutes ago, Res said:

And I hear teeth that come later are stronger. ;) (I googled and apparently some dentists believe this to be true?)

...Wow, really? That actually could be true. I believe my teeth all came kinda late and I was told by a dentist that my teeth are extra hard. Though I always thought that was because I kinda have a high calcium diet (I drink a lot of milk and rather frequently eat yogurt. And ice cream is my favorite dessert).

Est is standing already though, wow, that's kind of fast. I didn't think babies learned to stand until close to a year old. She still has four months until then.

Edited by Anacybele

5 minutes ago, Res said:

Ooh, a Hobbit-style party sounds fab!

3 is definitely worse... 

I can't believe Est is standing already! And I hear teeth that come later are stronger. ;) (I googled and apparently some dentists believe this to be true?)

I hadn't heard that they were stronger, but the dentist did say that she was not at any real disadvantage by having them later.  I do have pretty strong teeth myself, though.  I've never had a cavity, and I used to chew the metal ends of pencils off.  I don't know when I got my first teeth.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

...Wow, really? That actually could be true. I believe my teeth came kinda late and I was told by a dentist that my teeth are extra hard. Though I always thought that was because I kinda have a high calcium diet (I drink a lot of milk and rather frequently eat yogurt. And ice cream is my favorite dessert).

Est is standing already though, wow, that's kind of fast. I didn't think babies learned to stand until close to a year old. She still has four months until then.

Leo was later with standing, although I'm pretty sure he had his teeth by now.

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I hadn't heard that they were stronger, but the dentist did say that she was not at any real disadvantage by having them later.  I do have pretty strong teeth myself, though.  I've never had a cavity, and I used to chew the metal ends of pencils off.  I don't know when I got my first teeth.

Leo was later with standing, although I'm pretty sure he had his teeth by now.

I was late with pretty much everything. I walked a little late, got my teeth a little late, etc. xP I dunno why really. The only thing I was early in was being born, it seems. Since I came a week early. My best guess is autism. I have no idea what else could've delayed those other things.

I've only had a cavity like twice in my life and only one was anywhere near serious. They were pretty minor. And back then I didn't brush and floss and all as much as I do now for some reason. But I did have to have my top two front crowns replaced. It was because of something my body was doing, not anything I could've prevented. It was an issue I got from my dad because he had it and needed new crowns on a tooth or two as well. Sometimes people find their teeth start staining for no apparent reason and I guess the only way to fix it is to replace the crowns. That's what I had happen.

This is when I learned how hard my teeth were, because I recall the dentist telling me that they needed more effort or something to get the new crowns to match the hardness of my teeth. They didn't normally have to deal with teeth as hard as mine. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, and my brother is due with his first in Dec; first cousins for my kids from my side of the family.   

There's only 5 lb difference between my two right now; I wonder if Niko will overtake his big sister? 

28 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I was late with pretty much everything. I walked a little late, got my teeth a little late, etc. xP I dunno why really. The only thing I was early in was being born, it seems. Since I came a week early. My best guess is autism. I have no idea what else could've delayed those other things.

I've only had a cavity like twice in my life and only one was anywhere near serious. They were pretty minor. And back then I didn't brush and floss and all as much as I do now for some reason. But I did have to have my top two front crowns replaced. It was because of something my body was doing, not anything I could've prevented. It was an issue I got from my dad because he had it and needed new crowns on a tooth or two as well. Sometimes people find their teeth start staining for no apparent reason and I guess the only way to fix it is to replace the crowns. That's what I had happen.

This is when I learned how hard my teeth were, because I recall the dentist telling me that they needed more effort or something to get the new crowns to match the hardness of my teeth. They didn't normally have to deal with teeth as hard as mine. :P

I should actually go see the Dentist.  I see them all the time, but haven't actually had a visit in years.

8 minutes ago, Res said:

Oh, and my brother is due with his first in Dec; first cousins for my kids from my side of the family.   

There's only 5 lb difference between my two right now; I wonder if Niko will overtake his big sister? 

Maybe, Leo's already about the same size as his older cousin, who's about 8 months older.

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I should actually go see the Dentist.  I see them all the time, but haven't actually had a visit in years.

Maybe, Leo's already about the same size as his older cousin, who's about 8 months older.

I haven't seen a dentist in years. But that's because I no longer have insurance. I'm too old to be covered under my parents and Obamacare was shit. Waiting for Trump to improve it and get myself on SSD. I have autism, so I'm qualified for it. My mom just somehow needs to get ahold of my former counselor for the paperwork on my diagnosis (she moved away and so did we).

And kids grow differently, of course. My younger brother grew taller than everyone. I didn't even have a growth spurt in my teen years. Haven't grown an inch since maybe sixth grade.

Edited by Anacybele

11 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I haven't seen a dentist in years. But that's because I no longer have insurance. I'm too old to be covered under my parents and Obamacare was shit. Waiting for Trump to improve it and get myself on SSD. I have autism, so I'm qualified for it. My mom just somehow needs to get ahold of my former counselor for the paperwork on my diagnosis (she moved away and so did we).

And kids grow differently, of course. My younger brother grew taller than everyone. I didn't even have a growth spurt in my teen years. Haven't grown an inch since maybe sixth grade.

I don't currently have dental insurance either.  When I was signing up, they only put the kids on for some reason, even though Est doesn't even have teeth.

I was kind of average height until about freshman to sophomore year of high school when I shot up to my current height, but haven't grown since.