General Parenting Thread

Rezzy

@Rezzy lol nice pun. XD

Hey, don't worry! It's probably a blessing in disguise that you probably won't have any more kids, because like you said, that's hard work! I know because my parents had to raise four and it was really hard for them for awhile. Even when they had fewer, it was hard. There were points where my stepdad was on food stamps to feed his boys and my mom was working multiple jobs just to care for me. This was before they got married!

Also, you could adopt a couple more kids, if you want!

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice! I always wanted Pokemon plushies, but my parents were more Disney fans than Nintendo (or Pokemon), so I guess there's nothing wrong with all my action figures.

... Say, I'm sure your tired of saying this, but how old are Leo and Est?

12 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

On a more serious note, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I might not be having any more kids.  We get help from grandparents, but I don't know if they would still be willing to help watch a third, and juggling two kids with work can be tough enough.  I would love to be able to have four or five kids, but work demands too much of my time, and I'm already 31, without a realistic point where I would be able to devote time to additional children.  I love my kids, and I guess I'm just going to have to learn to be satisfied with my lot in life.

Do you have any siblings or older nieces who might be willing to help? Or know of an inexpensive day-care? I mean, if you want more kids, you should be able to have more - you shouldn't stop because you think you can't handle it. And while I don't know the grandparents, provided they don't still actively work jobs and aren't juggling other grandchildren I would assume they would love to see more kids. (That might also depend on how often they babysit your kids though.) Don't let factors stop you from fulfilling your dreams.

29 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

@Rezzy lol nice pun. XD

Hey, don't worry! It's probably a blessing in disguise that you probably won't have any more kids, because like you said, that's hard work! I know because my parents had to raise four and it was really hard for them for awhile. Even when they had fewer, it was hard. There were points where my stepdad was on food stamps to feed his boys and my mom was working multiple jobs just to care for me. This was before they got married!

Also, you could adopt a couple more kids, if you want!

Thanks

I suppose adoption's a possibility down the road, but the bigger factor is raising the kids than the race against the clock.

2 minutes ago, Rex Glacies said:

Nice! I always wanted Pokemon plushies, but my parents were more Disney fans than Nintendo (or Pokemon), so I guess there's nothing wrong with all my action figures.

... Say, I'm sure your tired of saying this, but how old are Leo and Est?

Do you have any siblings or older nieces who might be willing to help? Or know of an inexpensive day-care? I mean, if you want more kids, you should be able to have more - you shouldn't stop because you think you can't handle it. And while I don't know the grandparents, provided they don't still actively work jobs and aren't juggling other grandchildren I would assume they would love to see more kids. (That might also depend on how often they babysit your kids though.) Don't let factors stop you from fulfilling your dreams.

Leo is 3; Est is 1.

I have a younger sister who has 3 daughters of her own, so there are 5 grandchildren on my side.  My in-laws are actually great-grandparents, as both my sisters-in-law already have grandchildren.  It's a mixture of them having children pretty young themselves, and me just being old, as I'm actually a Great Aunt.  I have a great nephew who's about 2 years old and plays with Leo sometimes.

Even with help, the biggest responsibility is on the parents, and I love being one, but I also have to acknowledge my limits.  If I didn't have to work, it might be a different issue, but I chose this life for myself.

50 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

We got an Estpeon for Est for Christmas. @Nym @Anacybele @Res @Infinite Dreams

yJnQWm0.jpg?1

Est is really coming along.  She can stack her blocks 6 high, and she can build towers with Lego blocks.

Leo has really started liking to watch Hey Arnold, which I never would have expected for a kid born in 2014.  We got the DVDs a while back, and he discovered them somehow.

When I dropped Leo of at preschool today, another kid walked up to Leo and told his dad that Leo "was his friend", which was very cute.

On a more serious note, I'm coming to terms with the fact that I might not be having any more kids.  We get help from grandparents, but I don't know if they would still be willing to help watch a third, and juggling two kids with work can be tough enough.  I would love to be able to have four or five kids, but work demands too much of my time, and I'm already 31, without a realistic point where I would be able to devote time to additional children.  I love my kids, and I guess I'm just going to have to learn to be satisfied with my lot in life.

Yeah my mommy is now in the family

That's adorable!

On a more serious note, don't worry you have have two :D. And I already have two babies to write in the stories, imagine if you would have 5.

Also, legos? Watch that: 

18 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Thanks

I suppose adoption's a possibility down the road, but the bigger factor is raising the kids than the race against the clock.

Oh yeah, certainly true! I have to make sure myself that I can handle it before I adopt my girls. I want at least one, maybe two if I feel comfortable with it. But I still have to see if I'm capable of even raising one. But if I am, I wouldn't mind it, though I'd prefer to be married first. Still gonna name the first Elincia due to that becoming my favorite name for a girl thanks to FE. :P

Edited by Anacybele

11 minutes ago, Nym said:

Yeah my mommy is now in the family

That's adorable!

On a more serious note, don't worry you have have two :D. And I already have two babies to write in the stories, imagine if you would have 5.

Also, legos? Watch that: 

My floor is covered with the kids' toys.  I try to clean them up, but 5 minutes later, they pull everything out again.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, certainly true! I have to make sure myself I can handle it before I adopt my girls myself. I want at least one, maybe two if I feel comfortable with it. But I still have to see if I'm capable of even raising one. But if I am, I wouldn't mind it, though I'd prefer to be married first. Still gonna name the first Elincia due to that becoming my favorite name for a girl thanks to FE. :P

Good luck, when the time comes.

11 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

My floor is covered with the kids' toys.  I try to clean them up, but 5 minutes later, they pull everything out again.

Put the toys inside a chest and put a lock on it, you welcome.

On 11/28/2017 at 6:19 PM, Rezzy said:

Aww, that's a toughie.  :>_<:  I think it's good that you're being realistic.  You don't want to push yourself too hard. 

My mom told me once that even though she had all the kids she wanted, she still had the urge to have another baby anyway.  The grass is always greener on the other side, right?

On 11/20/2017 at 8:43 PM, Rezzy said:

I need to post a picture of Leo playing with "mommy", my (his) Celica Amiibo.

Still can't get over how adorable this is. :D:  You totally should!

On 11/28/2017 at 6:19 PM, Rezzy said:

Asides from not liking being pregnant, that's the main reason we chose to stop at 2, too. I might consider a third if funds were unlimited, but they're not, and my inlaws struggle to keep up with looking after two (not that the kids are difficult; it's a matter of age!). 

In the brief periods when I think it'd be nice to have a larger family, I run through my list of advantages of only having two:

- a parent for each kid! I've had a lot of friends find the leap from 2-3 the toughest for this reason (and a few friends who originally wanted 4-5 kids after having 2 decided to stop once they had their third!)
- your family will always fit in a family ticket
- your family will always fit in any 4 door car
- traveling anywhere is made so much easier and cheaper, especially if you fly

Anyway, I'm really sorry - it's a tough decision to have to make.

• 3 months later...

On 3/21/2018 at 5:43 AM, Res said:

I’m so sorry. :( I hope it produces the desired results soon! 

...its not looking good... 

Took x-rays after the first two cycles of treatment failed--full of ovarian cysts. Doctors won't even let us start the next round until we wait a month to see if they shrink on their own, and if they don't they're going to need to be removed via surgery. Then there's going to be scar tissue on the ovaries.

Meanwhile, recently engaged friend just had unprotected sex with her fiance for the first time and is instantly pregnant. 

Wanna be happy for her but--shit. Thats just a fresh kick in the balls.   

Edited by Shoblongoo

Visited my cousin's little daughter again after more than a year.

She has grown up! When I saw her the last time she was a little baby.

She's only two yet, but can listen to people and memorize a lot of things already. 

I played some building brick puzzles... or how I should call them. Anyways she solved these quickly. In most cases she didn't even need an advice.

Although I was only here for three hours, I got the impression that she was focussed more on me than on her actual dad. My cousin somewhat noticed it and tried to distract me from playing with her by chattering.

However she still has to practice in calling my name correctly... haha

Jk... she's a superadorable child so far. I'm jealous on my cousin.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018 at 6:59 AM, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

Visited my cousin's little daughter again after more than a year.

She has grown up! When I saw her the last time she was a little baby.

She's only two yet, but can listen to people and memorize a lot of things already. 

*snip*

Two is such a great age. Still totally adorable at that age. My son just turned 3 and I’m a little sad he’s leaving toddlerhood behind.

Some good news from the clinic today--ultrasound shows that the cysts are all gone. We're ready to resume treatment in the next cycle. I'm getting different information from different doctors though.

They all seem to agree that the correct thing to do is continue with fertility drugs and cycle monitoring before moving on to more aggressive treatments. (i.e. invitrofertilization, which we've discussed and I think we'd both be open to)

Here's where we're getting differing opinions: our treating clinician is recommending that we keep using Clomid. Statistically, she says its the least risky fertility drug and has the highest success rate. The cysts do not change her opinion that moving forward, the Clomid treatment should continue.  

Another doctor we saw for a second opinion is telling us that since the cysts suddenly appeared during the clomid treatment and then disappeared during the cycle when we weren't treating, they were probably an adverse reaction to the Clomid (one of the known side-effects of Clomid is formation of ovarian cysts). He advised that other fertility drugs, while not generally considered as good as Clomid, should be used in the alternative and that we should not use the clomid again because of the cysts. He wants us to switch from Clomid to Letrozole. 

Curious if our good doctor @Rezzy has any experience with these drugs, and has any thoughts on the matter. Trying to get as much information as I can from credible sources, but I have no medical credentials. I'm out of my element here.  

Edited by Shoblongoo

On 4/13/2018 at 10:16 AM, Shoblongoo said:

Some good news from the clinic today--ultrasound shows that the cysts are all gone. We're ready to resume treatment in the next cycle. I'm getting different information from different doctors though.

They all seem to agree that the correct thing to do is continue with fertility drugs and cycle monitoring before moving on to more aggressive treatments. (i.e. invitrofertilization, which we've discussed and I think we'd both be open to)

Here's where we're getting differing opinions: our treating clinician is recommending that we keep using Clomid. Statistically, she says its the least risky fertility drug and has the highest success rate. The cysts do not change her opinion that moving forward, the Clomid treatment should continue.  

Another doctor we saw for a second opinion is telling us that since the cysts suddenly appeared during the clomid treatment and then disappeared during the cycle when we weren't treating, they were probably an adverse reaction to the Clomid (one of the known side-effects of Clomid is formation of ovarian cysts). He advised that other fertility drugs, while not generally considered as good as Clomid, should be used in the alternative and that we should not use the clomid again because of the cysts. He wants us to switch from Clomid to Letrozole. 

Curious if our good doctor @Rezzy has any experience with these drugs, and has any thoughts on the matter. Trying to get as much information as I can from credible sources, but I have no medical credentials. I'm out of my element here.  

Sorry, didn't mean to ignore you.  Sadly, without access to her full medical history and a proper doctor-patient relationship, it would be ill-advised for me to give advice over your other two doctors, as additionally, it's not my specialty.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.  I hope it all works out.

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2018 at 8:43 AM, Shoblongoo said:

Its happening :D::D::D:

Heartbeat @ 6 weeks. Imma be a dad!!!!!

Congrats, I need to check this thread more often.  Do you have names picked out, or a list of ones you like?  Name discussion is one of my favorite parts.

Thanks guys! Next ultrasound is tomorrow. Hoping for more good news. 

On 6/29/2018 at 1:16 PM, Rezzy said:

Do you have names picked out, or a list of ones you like?  Name discussion is one of my favorite parts.

If its a girl--Lily. Definitely Lily.

If its a boy--still trying to figure that one out. Contenders atm are Aiden, Ryan, and Sam. Don't really have any boys names that we're in love with yet  

Edited by Shoblongoo