Finally finished Fate/Stay Night!

ruadath

Not sure if this is the right place to post this (VNs are games, right?), but nearly a full year after starting this, I've finally finished all of the routes to complete my first visual novel ever! Unlimited Blade Works was pretty cool, but I was kind of disappointed in the Heaven's Feel routes...

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Grats on completing your first VN, I reckon.

I personally didn't think Heaven's Feel was a bad route, but it just came right after the best route, so I get it feeling kind of underwhelming.

Which servant did you like most?

Why is Shinji the worst character?

Edited by Soledai

Which servant did I like the most... hm, that's a tough question...

as lame as it sounds, probably Archer, because he has the most involved backstory (at least as far as I'm aware), but after that probably Caster.

Shinji sucks

Any recommendations for the next visual novel? I'm mostly done with Grisaia no Kajitsu but am too lazy to finish off a couple of the routes (Sachi, Yumiko).

Heaven's Feel is a bad route because it deliberately has Shirou go against all the characterization and everything he was built to be in the first two routes. It's also the route that explains the main story behind why stuff went down the way it did, which is a really convoluted and bad explanation. And yeah, coming after UBW didn't help either.

G-senjou no maou (The Devil on G-string) was pretty interesting for what I played, although I didn't have the time to finish it. Rewrite is supposed to be really good, but I played for a while and found it super boring and slow-paced. Rewrite does have sidequests and stuff for you to do (and is also reaaaaally long), so it's more gameplay than a typical VN. If you haven't watched the anime, Stein's gate is supposed to be good.

How is there any possible way to be disappointed at HF. are your senses warped, or are yours senses warped. I literally had trouble finishing it mostly because of Fate. It's pretty good, overall, but it becomes pretty null standing to the next two. UBW was great, and HF was just the epitome of epic.

Stuff:

- SaberxShirou is awful.

- RinxShirou is pretty mediocre, but UBW anime made it pretty okay-ish.

also, GaRcher is the best.

I'll second G-Senjou, since that's what I was going to reply with. It has some interesting riddles and battles of wit.

But I guess it also depends on what you're looking for.

RIP VN thread

Yorokobe, shounen.

I love Fate/Stay Night. (Favorite part of the series is still the prequel anime Fate/Zero, which I HIGHLY recommend if you haven't seen it. I prefer most of the characters and Servants then the F/SN version.)

It's okay, I didn't care for Heaven's Feel route either. It wasn't terrible, it had the best battle, more sceentime on two of my favorite F/SN characters (Kirei Kotomine and Illyasviel)...

My main complain is how damn grim it was. Like, I can take grimness in a series, but Heaven's Feel made me feel to a point where it was so dark there was a disconnect? Like, I didn't really care about what happened to the characters just because it got the point where I was like "eh, they're just gonna die anyway."

Didn't help I really do not give a fuck about Sakura.

I don't mean to bring my usual negativity to this thread, but I must ask: what did you all like about Fate/Stay night? I personally didn't like it. Sure, some ideas were neat, but I found it rather uninteresting as a whole. The sheer amount of "I could kill you but I won't" moments really bothered me as well.

I don't mean to bring my usual negativity to this thread, but I must ask: what did you all like about Fate/Stay night? I personally didn't like it. Sure, some ideas were neat, but I found it rather uninteresting as a whole. The sheer amount of "I could kill you but I won't" moments really bothered me as well.

Honestly my love for it didn't really grow until I watched Fate/Zero and replayed the VN. It's 4 AM where I am so excuse my rambling and reasons.

I felt... I guess a kinship? with Shirou Emiya at times, extended more to Kiritsugu Emiya. They both carry an ideal of a hero of justice, both start it in the same way... but both take it to different ends. A big part of it is the few being put against the many, and how worth it in the end is it to keep to such a hard to achieve ideal. I thought it was interesting to watch these two divert in their paths.

Also, Kotomine. Kotomine Kirei, my husbando is, imo, one of the most interesting characters in fiction. He doesn't get shown off too much in Fate/Stay Night until around the Heaven's Feel route, then it's explored in Fate/Zero. He's essentially a monster with a moral compass and I loved watching him work. I made an entire statement on it in another topic, but it has spoilers so I won't copy/paste it for now.

So I guess I just loved the characters to death.

Honestly my love for it didn't really grow until I watched Fate/Zero and replayed the VN. It's 4 AM where I am so excuse my rambling and reasons.

I felt... I guess a kinship? with Shirou Emiya at times, extended more to Kiritsugu Emiya. They both carry an ideal of a hero of justice, both start it in the same way... but both take it to different ends. A big part of it is the few being put against the many, and how worth it in the end is it to keep to such a hard to achieve ideal. I thought it was interesting to watch these two divert in their paths.

Also, Kotomine. Kotomine Kirei, my husbando is, imo, one of the most interesting characters in fiction. He doesn't get shown off too much in Fate/Stay Night until around the Heaven's Feel route, then it's explored in Fate/Zero. He's essentially a monster with a moral compass and I loved watching him work. I made an entire statement on it in another topic, but it has spoilers so I won't copy/paste it for now.

So I guess I just loved the characters to death.

I see. Strange, what you seemed to like the most are among my biggest complaints, with Shirou being the worst offender; if the protagonist puts me to sleep, and the game expects me to care about other characters being involved with him, then that part of the story has failed. The cast was one of my biggest issues with the game, the only ones that I feel worthy of mentioning are Rin, Lancer and maybe Archer.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start a big debate or just complain about it. It's interesting to hear that your opinions are so different from mine.

The Unlimited Bladeworks thingy is bloody baller though, I must say.

Edited by Thane

I can't blame you on not liking Shirou. A lot of people don't like Shirou. To be fair a lot of them only watched the anime and thus kinda missed the innerworkings of his mind, so there's that, but if you don't like him after playing the VN... welp, I guess you just don't like him.

And it's not a debate or anything don't worry.

unless you shittalk my husbando then you're lookin for a fight

Wow, there's a lot of terrible taste going on in this thread. HF best route, Shirou is my bro.

UBW is honestly overhyped among all the routes. The only part of it that is really outstanding is the Shirou vs. Archer fight (well, okay, being the route where Lancer is the most relevant is pretty great too) and the ending is really convoluted.

Literally the only reason Shirou defeats Gilgamesh is because Gilgamesh decided to be an idiot and not wear his armor. And while I get that it's in character for him to be so arrogant that he thinks he doesn't need it, you'd think he'd wise up as soon as Shirou started out sword-spamming him.

HF on the other hand has the most screentime for Kotomine (best character). I don't really get the complaints about Shirou in this route, because it feels like people are kind of missing the point of the route. Shirou's complete selflessness in other routes is clearly established to be a bad thing that will lead him down a path of self-destruction

Eventually causing him to become Counter Guardian EMIYA

and HF is about Shirou learning to place value in himself and what he wants, resulting in him deciding to abandon his ideals and save Sakura.

Heck, I'd even make the argument that Shirou isn't really the main focus of HF, as his character arc is resolved fairly early on. The route is much more about Rin and Sakura's relationship.

Wow, there's a lot of terrible taste going on in this thread. HF best route, Shirou is my bro.

UBW is honestly overhyped among all the routes. The only part of it that is really outstanding is the Shirou vs. Archer fight (well, okay, being the route where Lancer is the most relevant is pretty great too) and the ending is really convoluted.

Literally the only reason Shirou defeats Gilgamesh is because Gilgamesh decided to be an idiot and not wear his armor. And while I get that it's in character for him to be so arrogant that he thinks he doesn't need it, you'd think he'd wise up as soon as Shirou started out sword-spamming him.

HF on the other hand has the most screentime for Kotomine (best character). I don't really get the complaints about Shirou in this route, because it feels like people are kind of missing the point of the route. Shirou's complete selflessness in other routes is clearly established to be a bad thing that will lead him down a path of self-destruction

Eventually causing him to become Counter Guardian EMIYA

and HF is about Shirou learning to place value in himself and what he wants, resulting in him deciding to abandon his ideals and save Sakura.

Heck, I'd even make the argument that Shirou isn't really the main focus of HF, as his character arc is resolved fairly early on. The route is much more about Rin and Sakura's relationship.

I already discussed how I felt about HF so...

Isn't it ironic that Rin and Ilya are the best parts of her sister's arc?

(Honorable mention to Sparks Liner High.)

I hope the movie at least does an OVA of Sparks Liner High.

Possibly. Oh, another thing I didn't like about HF was... tbh, I didn't care much for the ending. Like, not even the entire thing with Shirou's ideals, but... the ending in itself.

I WAS ALSO SUPER DEPRESSED WHEN KOTOMINE DIED FUCKING DAMMIT WHY DID I HAVE TO BASICALLY FALL IN LOVE WITH THIS MONSTER MAN /salt

Possibly. Oh, another thing I didn't like about HF was... tbh, I didn't care much for the ending. Like, not even the entire thing with Shirou's ideals, but... the ending in itself.

I WAS ALSO SUPER DEPRESSED WHEN KOTOMINE DIED FUCKING DAMMIT WHY DID I HAVE TO BASICALLY FALL IN LOVE WITH THIS MONSTER MAN /salt

Are you talking about HF Normal or HF True, though I suppose both have their issues.

HF Normal basically has Sakura completely shit on Shirou's sacrifice, giving his life so she can live a happy life only for her to spend the rest of her life moping around because he died.

and HF True seems like it's trying way too hard to be a super happy ending and it doesn't really work thematically and in terms of tone with the rest of the route.

Are you talking about HF Normal or HF True, though I suppose both have their issues.

HF Normal basically has Sakura completely shit on Shirou's sacrifice, giving his life so she can live a happy life only for her to spend the rest of her life moping around because he died.

and HF True seems like it's trying way too hard to be a super happy ending and it doesn't really work thematically and in terms of tone with the rest of the route.

Also the true ending had Shirou become a Homunculus or something? That was the lamest excuse for him surviving I could imagine; I honestly preferred the normal end because the true ending seemed too forced.

The route I disliked the most was actually the very first one. I don't like Shirou and Saber as a pair, I dislike how he's so abusive and controlling and his outright stupid moments made me facepalm far too much (don't tell your sword wielding steelclad animu waifu to stay in the kitchen). I don't know why Nasu likes to write so many asshole protagonists ("stay in the kitchen" and his relationship with Saber) that are characterized as lovable, selfless and kind people when they're not (hi, Tohno Shiki).

HF was good imo, but I couldn't care enough about Sakura to enjoy it as much as I wanted to (it had many good moments, especially with Kirei). UBW was fantastic, it was the route that actually made me like Shirou despite my hate over him because of the first route.

Any recommendations for the next visual novel?

Tsukihime.

It was written by Nasu, it has a similar protagonist (I hope it doesn't count as a negative point), it has a similar story and mood style. It's old as hell though and you might want to wait the next 10 years to play the VN remake instead, but chances are you'll end up like a certain character on HF end and still keep waiting for it.

Edited by Rapier

Yeah, both. But I meant HF true mostly.

tfw no kotomine route for the best character, it tears me up every time

Also the true ending had Shirou become a Homunculus or something? That was the lamest excuse for him surviving I could imagine; I honestly preferred the normal end because the true ending seemed too forced.

Rin manages to obtain an artificial puppet body for Shirou (hinted at to be made by Touko Aozaki from Kara no Kyoukai and Mahoutsukai no Yoru) and they're able to transfer Shirou's soul into it (which had been preserved thanks to Ilya using the Third True Sorcery Heaven's Feel on him)

It's pretty contrived but let's face it, most Nasu stuff is.

The route I disliked the most was actually the very first one. I don't like Shirou and Saber as a pair, I dislike how he's so abusive and controlling and his outright stupid moments made me facepalm far too much (don't tell your sword wielding steelclad animu waifu to stay in the kitchen). I don't know why Nasu likes to write so many asshole protagonists ("stay in the kitchen" and his relationship with Saber) that are characterized as lovable, selfless and kind people when they're not (hi, Tohno Shiki).

HF was good imo, but I couldn't care enough about Sakura to enjoy it as much as I wanted to (it had many good moments, especially with Kirei). UBW was fantastic, it was the route that actually made me like Shirou despite my hate over him because of the first route.

Tsukihime.

It was written by Nasu, it has a similar protagonist (I hope it doesn't count as a negative point), it has a similar story and mood style. It's old as hell though and you might want to wait the next 10 years to play the VN remake instead, but chances are you'll end up like a certain character on HF end and still keep waiting for it.

Fate is pretty much universally agreed on to be the weakest route in F/SN since it's mostly just introductory stuff. I've met people who like Saber more than Rin or Sakura but I don't think I've ever met someone who honestly thinks Fate is better than UBW or HF.

And honestly, Shirou and Shiki don't really have all that much in common, they're actually pretty much complete opposites of each other. Nasu has stated in interviews that if Shirou and Shiki were to ever meet they would completely despise each other.