117 members have voted

1. 1. Ryoma Vs Xander.....

• Ryoma
    • Xander

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this gameplay, story, or how much we like them as characters? In the former or latter case, Ryoma, but story wise, I'd say they're about equal.

I prefer Xander. While Ryoma can slay a ton of enemies on his own, Xander always was more reliable thanks to his high Def, in my experience.
So basically I just prefer a wall over a dodgetank. His low-ish Speed and Res as well as beast weakness make him suffer a bit, though.

Personal preferences aside, Ryoma most likely is better. The Samurai & Swordmaster skills all are really good and his high Spd and Str make him way more deadly.

I voted Ryoma, though I can't really form a solid opinion due to never having used Xander since I didn't play Conquest and haven't gotten far enough in Revelation. But Ryoma surely has the speed advantage here.

I also voted him because I like him WAY more. :P He's my favorite character not named Silas. <3

Edited by Anacybele

Initially, I would've said Xander. However, Ryoma is better in terms of gameplay, and story. Especially [spoiler=Lategame story spoilers] in their respective death scenes. Xander went out like a mindless idiot, Ryoma at least retained his honor and died in a way that made sense.

I misread the title as Ryoma x Xander..

Anyways, I like Xander.. His design is nice and I think he's a good unit overall.

I definitely like Ryoma more (well I did marry him in Birthright). I love his design, despite lobster jokes. Ryoma has a nice personality, I think he's pretty likeable. His hair is beautiful, and he is a very great unit to have on your side! Plus his son is an even better unit imo.

Edit: My vote clearly goes to Ryoma lol.

Edited by Jin

....yeah. I kinda expected Ryoma to easily win this......

But I just like Xander better cause well, his design is cool, has a good animation fight unlike Ryoma who simply duck dances when using the Rajinto and yeah, skill wise obviously Ryoma has better because well....swordmaster, what else?

But in terms of a balanced unit and not a broken one where you only need to use one unit to slam off the entire army, I think Xander does it better.

But seeing as how the whole point of Ryoma being powerful and being that birthright is accessible game, I guess I have to accept that Ryoma is obviously better.....

But I'm curious, can Xander beat Ryoma?

storywise they put heavy emphasis on how strong Xander had become, while Ryoma was just kinda chilling in Hoshido and wasn't mentioned a whole lot other than randomly showing up in the stupid pot chapter. He's a better unit gameplay wise too, which proper pairups he's an 8/9 move unit with unrestricted 1-2 range that's basically immortal. Ryoma can still get gooned by some lame low% hitrates.

Ryouma, because he's not an awful character. And I still like his class and design better anyway.

Xander, because I'll take a poor man's Camus over anyone from Hoshido any day. I REALLY dislike Hoshido

I will say I prefer the design of the Rajinato to Siegfried, but that's literally the only thing I like about Ryoma more.

Xander because I like the overall "Dark Paladin" aesthetic a lot more than the "Holy Samurai." Story wise, I shrug at both of them because I got tired of playing "Where's Ryoma?" early on in BR and they made Xander garbagio during the entire narrative.

Xander. I like both but Xander is one of my favorite characters series wide. I really don't have much issue with his role in the story, something people a lot people hate him for, either.

storywise they put heavy emphasis on how strong Xander had become, while Ryoma was just kinda chilling in Hoshido and wasn't mentioned a whole lot other than randomly showing up in the stupid pot chapter. He's a better unit gameplay wise too, which proper pairups he's an 8/9 move unit with unrestricted 1-2 range that's basically immortal. Ryoma can still get gooned by some lame low% hitrates.

can confirm, if Xander dies its typically because the player screws up.

If Ryouma dies then its because the game flipped you off.

Storywise I like both. But the pain Xander feels when you decide to side with Hoshido felt more real to me than Ryoma's when you side with Nohr.

Gameplay wise, both can be considered broken, but Xander's brokenness is much needed on Conquest. Ryoma makes Birthright easier than it already is.

I greatly prefer Xander's character and design to Ryoma's. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Ryoma's character and design too but I simply like Xander more in those areas. I don't mind Xander's role in the story too much since I usually skip scenes nowadays. I can sort of see where he is coming from story-wise if mental issues due to his past are assumed but I'm not going to try to defend Xander's role in the story.

Unit-wise, Ryoma has better bases in my opinion because he can ORKO just about anything upon recruitment and has pretty reliable durability with Def and Avoid stacking early-on. I do believe that Xander turns out better. It's not uncommon for my Xander's to run around with 36 Spd (as much as Ryoma in C25) during CQ late-game and about as much Str and Def, assuming Rallies and Pair-ups. As others have mentioned, Ryoma is RNG-reliant while Xander is not.

I'm voting for Xander, though I'm not sure which unit I prefer gameplay-wise.

Xander. I have family members that have done boneheaded things too, so I might have some bias towards that because I understand it better. Ryoma literally has no excuse for calling you "real family" when he knows you aren't.

Also, I'll never forgive Ryoma for dying at that 10% hit. Ever.

Xander. I have family members that have done boneheaded things too, so I might have some bias towards that because I understand it better. Ryoma literally has no excuse for calling you "real family" when he knows you aren't.

>ITT: Step-siblings are not your real family.

>ITT: Step-siblings are not your real family.

Well, considering Ryoma's entire arguement in the choice scene is that it's Corrin's birthright to fight at his side, he's basically flat out lying to him. ie, since Corrin was adopted, it technically is not his birthright to aid Ryoma, but assuming Corrin believes that Garon used him as an assassination tool, it is the right thing to do

Edited by MCProductions