Ryoma vs Xander....

Harvey

Ryoma vs Xander  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Ryoma Vs Xander.....

• Ryoma
    • Xander

Well, considering Ryoma's entire arguement in the choice scene is that it's Corrin's birthright to fight at his side, he's basically flat out lying to him. ie, since Corrin was adopted, it technically is not his birthright to aid Ryoma, but assuming Corrin believes that Garon used him as an assassination tool, it is the right thing to do

Then maybe the original person should've stated it like that instead of just saying that Ryouma isn't Corrin's real family. Because, with Mikoto being Corrin's biological mother and having married the Hoshidans' siblings' father and raised the siblings herself, Ryouma and the Hoshidan siblings are Corrin's family whether you like it or not.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then maybe the original person should've stated it like that instead of just saying that Ryouma isn't Corrin's real family. Because, with Mikoto being Corrin's biological mother and having married the Hoshidans' siblings' father and raised the siblings herself, Ryouma and the Hoshidan siblings are Corrin's family whether you like it or not.

Never said they wern't, just saying how it could be seen as Ryoma lying

>ITT: Step-siblings are not your real family.

And where was that said? That's an extreme jump in logic from what I posted. If that was the logic I was using, then nothing I would have said would have made sense as none of the siblings are actually Corrin's siblings outside of

Lilith

and Corrin isn't even aware of that, nor does (s)he consider that person a sibling.

If you go with the "step-sibling" mentality, then Corrin is siblings with all of them. Which using that logic makes what Ryoma says even more pointless. It's the fact that he knows that you really aren't related at all and he says things like your "true family" before and during Conquest that makes it horrible. Because he's flat out withholding this information from Corrin unless he ends up wanting to have children with her. At least the rest of the siblings may have been given letters based on the continuity-- ie, male Corrin might result in Takumi never finding out and vice versa for the sisters. The same cannot be said for the others. It Ryoma has no right to say that they're anymore true family than Xander does. And that honestly hurts Ryoma for me as well. To be honest, neither Xander nor Ryoma are exactly great characters in my eyes.

Well, considering Ryoma's entire arguement in the choice scene is that it's Corrin's birthright to fight at his side, he's basically flat out lying to him. ie, since Corrin was adopted, it technically is not his birthright to aid Ryoma, but assuming Corrin believes that Garon used him as an assassination tool, it is the right thing to do

Which honestly is something that confuses the hell out of me. How was Garon supposed to plan for Rinkah to smack Corrin in the back of the head and drag him/her back to Hoshido? I mean, the sword even tried to kill Corrin earlier. Why would I, or Corrin for that matter, assume that Garon even knew this blade would do such? Plus, the bloody thing ended up being a legendary sword that supposedly would save the world. So... I'm lost here. More specifically, why didn't Corrin abandon the sword after it tried to kill him by throwing him off a cliff? As far as I'm concerned, the sword was out for blood on Corrin, *not* Mikoto. Even more ridiculous, is that Garon gave him the sword that... DID end up being what saved them, so was Garon handing the sword over like his last strand of humanity? This whole scene is ridiculous.

Edited by Augestein

In terms of gameplay, Xander wins purely because defensive power beats evasion when it comes to reliable, repeatable strategies. Xander's speed problems can be rectified with the right pairups and meals (as well as a rally bot if you make one), and at that point he's just more dependable than Ryoma is. On my ironman runs, I would pick Xander over Ryoma every time (but only if I had to choose, of course, they're both amazing).

...In terms of story, Ryoma wins on account of not being a complete idiot who will follow an obviously evil king unless you do something truly ridiculous to convince him.

My vote goes for Ryoma,

Gameplaywise i prefer him because i prefer more high speedy characters

plotwise they have the same paper in the story but i found Ryoma's portrayal more consistent than Xander

that does no mean i hate Xander i just like Ryoma more.

In terms of story, Xander is an absolute tool and idiot. Especially in Birthright. In terms of gameplay, I prefer Xander's tankiness, to Ryomo's avoid. In terms of skill, whilst knowing base stats and growths isn't my kind of thing, it feels like Ryoma easily kicks Xander's arse. Luckily for Xander, Conquest is my favourite path, and in that route he doesn't come across as a total tool...Unluckily for him, the few moments in the other paths when he is totally stupid stand out too much to me, so I'm going with Ryoma.

Xander, I say. Because Xander is a proud defender of Nohrian democracy, while Ryoma is the lapdog for the invasion-loving and bloodthirsty Hoshidon't dictator. (Lol. In case you are wondering, that's my WWII-reinterpretation of my LP.)

Edited by henrymidfields

Personally,I like Marx/Xander more, especially because her's pretty much invincible in the kitsune chapter as a wyvern lord, and is a better foe to fight instead of Ryoma, or at least that's how I feel.

Ryoma is a beast, but I like the defense and extra mov.

Xander, not a big of fan of the japanese classes. Also his tanking is more reliable than Ryoma's dodging.

I do like Ryoma though, especially since he was the only Hoshidan to make me feel something besides hate or indifference to in my first Conquest run. But Birthright my foot, I'm as related to you as I am to Xander.

Also I'll never forgive Ryoma for getting critted by a 8% hit 1% crit. YOU WERE HOLDING THOSE RADISHES FOR A REASON.

Xander, I say. Because Xander is a proud defender of Nohrian democracy, while Ryoma is the lapdog for the invasion-loving and bloodthirsty Hoshidon't dictator. (Lol. In case you are wondering, that's my WWII-reinterpretation of my LP.)

His name is Marx in JP, you know.

Like I know the name and school of thought isn't directly associated with the Soviet Union... but you know...

Edited by shadowofchaos

I voted Xander, because I think Ryoma is an irresponsible leader for disappearing 5 minutes after ascending the throne and letting Corrin lead his army when they regroup. I also don't like him as a unit because we don't need a horribly broken unit that early in the game of an already easy game.

After replaying Fates a good bit, I can still say Xander. I'm actually impressed with him tbh. He's a camus that while I don't approve of his actions at all, I do understand them, tho that may be more due to past experiences with my own family than anything else.

After replaying Fates a good bit, I can still say Xander. I'm actually impressed with him tbh. He's a camus that while I don't approve of his actions at all, I do understand them, tho that may be more due to past experiences with my own family than anything else.

I think that people generally overestimate how easy it is to betray king and country, especially when you're related. Xander feels that he would be betraying all three by joining Corrin in Birthright.

I'm gonna have to go with Xander

gameplay wise, like most others who voted him, I prefer defense over avoidance (gambling isn't my thing) and Xander isn't as broken in Conquest as Ryoma is in Birthright (they're pretty even in Rev imo) Plus, what I assume is a very unpopular opinion, Seigbert>Shiro

Story wise, in my opinion Xander just seems more human, and likable. It is explained that the reason he blindly follows Garon is because Xander was there to see what he was like before being evil, and is convinced that he'll go back to normal once the war is finished. (there's also the fact that Garon is his dad)

• 4 weeks later...

Im just glad to the votes have evened out. I think i posted this earlier but Xander just seems to be a better character. He has more... Depth to him, and focuses on something other than how amazing Corrin is, and actually seems to be working to better Nohr and save lives. That of course is merely my humble opinion. Feel free to call me an idiot and prove me wrong. :Joshua:

• 3 months later...

Xander.

The fact I don't use Ryouma at all for Birthright lunatic make him totally lose for gameplay-wise

Blame Takumi sound better than Nohrian scum and Hoshidan filth.

From far I can said Conquest have many no sense and plot hole, Birthright isn't unguilty either. Xander take at least his responsability as crown prince of Norh and son of king. Ryouma vanish without any explanation and he be found out helping a rebellion ditching his duty. His death in conquest make no sense either. Story-wise still for Xander.

Xander vs Ryouma? Their class alone win ryouma. Ryouma learn at least 3 skill useful for fight against Xander while Xander have just one skill and his personal skill. Ryouma will win here.

Their other class's skills then Xander will win cause he learn 4 skill usefull against Ryouma which one is swordbreaker. Ryouma only lean two and one is double-edge blade.

Marry/friend class skill I think Xander still win cause he can learn the skill that counter Ryouma speed and Sol unless Ryouma pick Quixotic+Lethality dick move.

• 2 weeks later...

In terms of consistent writing? Ryoma all the way.

In terms of actual characterization? Xander, 100%. I find Xander to be a far more interesting character than Ryoma, simply because instead of just being naturally talented at everything and virtually untouchable like Ryoma is and was, he had to struggle to improve himself. He's got a warm, friendly and open nature, despite being outwardly strict and aloof, and cares deeply for all of his siblings, especially after the chaos of his half-sibling relations during the time he was growing up. He's the best bro, in other words.

Aaaand then Conquest shoots all of his good characterization to hell, and that's not even starting on his supports with Peri.

I'm voting for Ryoma out of principle, since while he was somewhat bland and safe, he at least never became insulting at any point during the game. And I prefer Ryoma-style swordmaster, dodge and kill, rather than Xander straight-up facetank and die in two hits to mages. Not that they're both not beastly units, or anything.

I like both characters as units. Either way you look at it, they're very useful in the games. But I voted for Xander (and was super surprised to see how even the vote was). Ryoma is most interesting as a villain in Conquest. He's all right in Birthright as a hero, but if you remove his conflict with Corrin, he becomes significantly less interesting. But I think Xander's interesting as a hero and a villain. His conflict isn't just centered around Corrin. He's got an ongoing battle between his father AND Hoshido.

Ryoma, no contest, although that's less because I particularly like Ryoma (he's okay, but not my favorite) and more because I very intensely dislike Xander.

• 1 month later...

I feel like gameplay wise, it's almost impossible to choose, but I prefer Xander because I like how he tanks everything instead of dodging most hits. I usually get unlucky with Ryoma (looking at you, 12% death) but Xander is just more reliable.

Story and character wise, I like Ryoma more because in my opinion, his design and sword is cooler. I admit that his character is pretty boring in the games, but he does show some insecurities and faults. In addition, his role in Chapter 25 in Conquest was awesome in my opinion and I'd like to point out that he supports and gives Corrin support when she needs it, unlike Xander. I love how his character is so focused on perfection and invincibility and when you see him crack and crumble, such as in Conquest and in Revelations, (spoilers) I think it's really interesting, and you get scared.

Because if it's one thing you don't want, it's a bloodthirsty Lobster Lord. Especially when he's after you.

Edited by Susam A.